Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Can anyone give me any idea how much past alcohol related convictions effect your chances? If you need more info you can PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Omits-Bagels posted:

I wrote mine in like 2 hours (while watching TV). You are wasting your time. I doubt they even read it that closely.

gently caress me, I am waisting my time.
Thanks.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Iwate posted:

gently caress me, I am waisting my time.
Thanks.

Sorry, this is super nitpicky, and this may be too late. But please have someone else proofread them. Because you're wasting your time. No good spending 3 months revising them only to be left with a few spelling errors grammar check won't catch.

I'm a language arts teacher. It's in my blood.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

Can anyone give me any idea how much past alcohol related convictions effect your chances? If you need more info you can PM me.

Ok. A few years ago I was charged with Careless and Imprudent Driving with a BAC (basically a step down from DUI and in fact I was only charged because I was under the age of 21) but the charges were dropped and I was only "convicted" of Improper Use of Turn Signal.

There's a section on the application where I have to attach a document explaining everything. It's very vague on what I need to attach so I have a few questions:

1) What do I need to attach?
2) Should I just contact the local recruiter?
3) Does this change my competitiveness at all? I.e. Is it no big deal in the grand scheme of things or does it basically tank me and make it nigh impossible to get an invitation?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Miss Fats posted:

Ok. A few years ago I was charged with Careless and Imprudent Driving with a BAC (basically a step down from DUI and in fact I was only charged because I was under the age of 21) but the charges were dropped and I was only "convicted" of Improper Use of Turn Signal.

There's a section on the application where I have to attach a document explaining everything. It's very vague on what I need to attach so I have a few questions:

3) Does this change my competitiveness at all? I.e. Is it no big deal in the grand scheme of things or does it basically tank me and make it nigh impossible to get an invitation?

Not ignoring your question, I just honestly have no idea. I think asking the recruiter will be your best bet. Whether or not it will hurt your chances is already decided; asking about it won't change it one way or another.

EDIT: Oh poo poo we're talking about illnesses? I didn't have it too bad: got an amoebic infection during PST and a light case of giardia later on. I got food poisoning twice, both times in Phnom Pehn. I was cool with the first one though because it was during the middle of our week-long In-Service Training and I got to miss the most boring day and hang out in my air-conditioned hotel room and watch TV. Second time I got food poising was two days before I flew home THANKS CAMBODIA. Other than some allergy troubles, I didn't have any other problems. EXCEPT...

Every few weeks or so, my right hand would get this rash which would turn into these big yellow blisters on my fingers. It was ugly and itched and nobody could figure out what the hell it was. The PCMO had never seen anything like it and neither had the local dermatologists they took me to. They had a few theories that never quite matched up with the facts. So that was weird. I'll see if I still have my pictures of it.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 14, 2010

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Riven posted:

Sorry, this is super nitpicky, and this may be too late. But please have someone else proofread them. Because you're wasting your time. No good spending 3 months revising them only to be left with a few spelling errors grammar check won't catch.

I'm a language arts teacher. It's in my blood.

Part of the reason why I spent a long time on them is because my buddy who worked as an essay editor in college proof read them, tore them a new rear end in a top hat, and made me cry.
But they are pretty solid now. And I still have him check over them every time I make a huge edit.
I am pretty sure I am down to the final draft. yay? My friend has really been a big help. I definitely will come back and give him whatever crazy disease I get as a souvenir for all his hard work.

reddeh
May 18, 2004

Miss Fats posted:

If it will show up on a federal background check, mention it. If not, dont. All it makes is extra paperwork. I remember a girl in country who had to wait a year to be placed due to a public intox conviction, they take any sort of potential threats to the image of the program seriously. However once you're in country all bets are kind of off...

Also keep the maladies coming! We had a saying in Togo that you weren't an official PCV until you pooped yourself.

T-Rex Money
Dec 10, 2009
Today has been a nightmare for me. I still feel like it's all a bad dream. Go back a page and you'll find my post about having to go to the hospital because of the fire ant stings.

This morning I receive a call from my PCMO, and she wanted me to come to the office to talk to me. I get to her office, and she reads me an email to her from D.C. Because I had such a bad reaction to the fire ant stings, I was informed that I was being medically separated. I was in complete shock, and had no clue what to say or think. Unfortunately because the orders came from D.C., there is nothing my medical officer could do about it. I talked to her about the potential of transferring to a new post where there isn't a risk of allergies, so she talked to someone about that. Feeling incredibly bummed out and depressed about the situation, the day became lovely pretty fast.

I got a call later in the day from my PCMO saying that things have changed a little, and they are sending me to D.C. to get tests done for the allergy. Depending on the results, from there they will be able to either a) send me back to my post. b) find a new post for me. or c) send me back home.

This has been a very unpleasant experience, and I am really hoping that I'll be able to come back to my current post. Leaving my peace corps family here so suddenly seems like more than I can handle at the moment.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

T-Rex Money posted:

I got a call later in the day from my PCMO saying that things have changed a little, and they are sending me to D.C. to get tests done for the allergy. Depending on the results, from there they will be able to either a) send me back to my post. b) find a new post for me. or c) send me back home.
Good luck to you! I hope you get a short, luxurious trip to D.C., and then get to go back "home"!

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

T-Rex Money posted:

This has been a very unpleasant experience, and I am really hoping that I'll be able to come back to my current post. Leaving my peace corps family here so suddenly seems like more than I can handle at the moment.

I hope it works out for you! Being separated for something that isn't your fault would really suck.

Cadmiel fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 16, 2010

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

reddeh posted:

Africa is home to the best medical situations you can ever hope to find yourself in... In my little over a year there, I managed to contract (in no particular order):

Giardia x2
Amoebas
Upper respiratory infection (which turned into)
Sinus Infection from Hell (104+ fever)
Malaria

Hahaha. Awwww, a whole 2 cases of giardia AND a case of amoebas?

Starting about a month after swear-in, I got 4 cases of amoebic dysentery inside 6 weeks which led my intestines to say "gently caress you, and gently caress THIS" and stop working. I was actually medically 'anorexic' for a period of a week or so because my body wouldn't digest or take in nutrients from the food I was eating- it was just on the express track and running right out through my system in half an hour or less. I was eventually diagnosed with Tropical Sprue, a condition which only affects one in one MILLION people... and I was that lucky person.

Fortunately, I guess because I got such poo poo luck in that regard, I managed to avoid the Dengue Fever that more than half my group got, and none of us got malaria.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Recruiters should talk up the sadly overlooked weight-loss benefits of Peace Corps service.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CronoGamer posted:

Hahaha. Awwww, a whole 2 cases of giardia AND a case of amoebas?

Starting about a month after swear-in, I got 4 cases of amoebic dysentery inside 6 weeks which led my intestines to say "gently caress you, and gently caress THIS" and stop working. I was actually medically 'anorexic' for a period of a week or so because my body wouldn't digest or take in nutrients from the food I was eating- it was just on the express track and running right out through my system in half an hour or less. I was eventually diagnosed with Tropical Sprue, a condition which only affects one in one MILLION people... and I was that lucky person.

Fortunately, I guess because I got such poo poo luck in that regard, I managed to avoid the Dengue Fever that more than half my group got, and none of us got malaria.

Hahahaha, I remember the Tropical Sprue story. A quick note to the rest of the thread, it looks like "sprue" but it's pronounced "spoo." Or at least that's just how everyone who told me the story pronounced it. Spoo seems more appropriate.

Also, anyone thinking about joining Peace Corps should know that after your two month training, you will be perfectly comfortable discussing your gastro-intestinal problems in graphic detail with other PCV's over a meal.

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.
I was put on Doxycycline and not Mefloquine and I think that was a major reason why in 21 months I got sick all of one time. I generally have a stronger 'stomach' than most people, too, which would likely account for why even the other PCVs on doxy got sick all the time.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Moon Slayer posted:

Also, anyone thinking about joining Peace Corps should know that after your two month training, you will be perfectly comfortable discussing your gastro-intestinal problems in graphic detail with other PCV's over a meal.

What really got me about this, and what I found jarring every time I was able to step back and look at it from a non-PC perspective, was how incredibly comfortable the GIRLS were talking about their poo poo. Like they would openly talk to anyone in earshot about color, texture, consistency, frequency.... just so utterly bizarre in a typical "girl" context.

T-Rex Money
Dec 10, 2009
I am officially a medevac now. I have roommates who have been here for four weeks so far, so I guess I could be here for a while. I made it to D.C. last night, and have until Monday to relax. I really hate having to be here, but it is like getting a free vacation to the U.S.

Rush Limbaugh #1! posted:

Recruiters should talk up the sadly overlooked weight-loss benefits of Peace Corps service.

Yes they should. Last June I weighed 170lbs. I left for service in late August. Two days ago I weighed 140, and I'm really don't even want to lose weight.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

CronoGamer posted:

What really got me about this, and what I found jarring every time I was able to step back and look at it from a non-PC perspective, was how incredibly comfortable the GIRLS were talking about their poo poo. Like they would openly talk to anyone in earshot about color, texture, consistency, frequency.... just so utterly bizarre in a typical "girl" context.

This applies somewhat to just serving overseas...

I'm not in the PC, but with State, and well, yeah. I don't know what I have but, there will be a week or two of nothing but the runs, followed by the reverse. Not bad enough yet to go to a hospital (not in my country) to have it looked at.

I also came down with a sudden 104 fever in 30 minutes. I seriously went from being fine and chipper to chills where I walked down to the med unit just shaking. Two malaria tests came back negative, and the fever broke after 24 hours.

I'm still enjoying the Mefloquine dreams however.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Set up a meeting with the local recruiter to discuss my application. I'm not going to suit up like it's an interview (although this is also the guy doing the interview, so I'm going to try and prep a bit for questions similar to that) but I will dress well. Should be fun.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Just venting a bit ... I'm in the same situation some others seem to be. I have passed all medical/dental/legal and am waiting on a placement. I sent an updated resume to my placement officer, but she also gave a lot of instructions in her e-mail regarding getting a transcript to her, so maybe I won't hear much back until after I graduate (Just a few more weeks ... May 15)

Obviously, the bit about "two nominations per spot" has me fairly breathless too.

I was nominated for Secondary English in Central Asia which was pretty much my dream post. I have my fingers crossed especially for a Russian language post.

Also, where are people getting this information about the increase in money from $6,000 to $7,000+? I googled the phrase but didn't find anything but this thread.

Thanks!

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

internetstuff posted:

Also, where are people getting this information about the increase in money from $6,000 to $7,000+? I googled the phrase but didn't find anything but this thread.

Thanks!

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.media.press.view&news_id=1549

"Director Williams detailed Peace Corps’ strategic recruitment campaign and how the agency is focusing on ways to better support Peace Corps volunteers by scaling the benefits of service to more accurately reflect cost of living increases. In support of that goal, Director Williams announced that, effective April 1, 2010, the Peace Corps readjustment allowance that volunteers receive upon returning home from service will increase to $275 per every month the volunteer served. With this $50 per month increase from current levels, volunteers who complete a full 27-month tour will receive $7,425 to help in the readjustment period when they return to the United States. "

Enjoy it. You bastards.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Sucks, like a Baltic squid.
Someone mentioned something about people ending up marrying local people after or during their mission.

Now, I have to ask, hypothetically, (i.e. please don't think I'm a horrible person) but what are the rules of casual sex or dating with locals (either in, or not in the town, etc)?

I'm sure it'll be covered in the training, but I'm just curious if I'm expected to have a vow of celibacy or I'm not being allowed to fraternize with the people on that kind of level. I'd love some first-hand experience with this.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pocket DeSade posted:

Someone mentioned something about people ending up marrying local people after or during their mission.

Now, I have to ask, hypothetically, (i.e. please don't think I'm a horrible person) but what are the rules of casual sex or dating with locals (either in, or not in the town, etc)?

I'm sure it'll be covered in the training, but I'm just curious if I'm expected to have a vow of celibacy or I'm not being allowed to fraternize with the people on that kind of level. I'd love some first-hand experience with this.

Like the answers to most "how should I act in country" questions, it pretty much all depends on the local culture. All I can really tell you is that in Cambodia, the only way you could date a local, although there are a few exceptions, is if you planned on marrying them. And the only pre-marital sex that's culturally acceptable is between a man and a prostitute. But that's Cambodia, and small-town Cambodia at that. Cultural mores can vary widely not just between countries but within countries as well.

But one thing to keep in mind is that by and large the countries Peace Corps operates in have significantly more conservative cultures than the US.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

During training the PCMOs showed us a video where they said something like 90% of all PCVs have sex while in country. It certainly depends on the culture of course, in Jamaica (and the rest of the Caribbean I hear) it's very conservative christian in all regards except for sex. I've had neighbors ask me if I wanted to join them for church, and in the next sentence ask me if I'd had sex with a Jamaican yet, and when I tell them no they ask why not. If you have a long term relationship things can get stressed when you're ready to COS, and I know of more than a few volunteers dealing with that as their COS date nears.

Of course any gay volunteer who wants to serve here must be closeted the entire time (not a PC rule, but highly recommended.)

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Haha, I should have added "local people permitting..is it ok to have sex with locals?"

What I really meant was if it was frowned upon or outright bannable conduct for PC? Has anyone done this and what was the reaction from other PCV?

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
I'm glad you asked that, because I've been thinking it. The idea of 2 years without any kind of sexual activity is scary.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

internetstuff posted:

I'm glad you asked that, because I've been thinking it. The idea of 2 years without any kind of sexual activity is scary.

There are other volunteers thinking the same thing.

Other volunteers of the opposite sex.

You'll find a way.

Evil Adam
Jul 18, 2003

He's very good.

Pocket DeSade posted:

Haha, I should have added "local people permitting..is it ok to have sex with locals?"

What I really meant was if it was frowned upon or outright bannable conduct for PC? Has anyone done this and what was the reaction from other PCV?

PCVs definitely got Malagasy boyfriends and girlfriends. I can think of 3 marriages off the top of my head and a few other long-term relationships. Random sex seemed to happen not so much between PCVs and nationals, but intra-PC definitely.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

I was introduced to a RPCV by a friend, in order to ask them stuff. I tried to ask them about sex and relationships, but then I made a mortifying attempt at trying to be funny, when I quoted family guy..

"All the brown people you can rape!"

Needless to say, they refused to talk to me, and I'm glad they don't know my name so as they can't try to sabotage my application. Horrible. lol

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
Re: diseases, in Bulgaria it seemed like a lot of people got TB. I was diagnosed at my COS medical exam, which was kind of irritating, to put it mildly.

Re: sex - hook-ups seem to be fairly common between PCVs, and depending on the country, dating locals is pretty common as well. That 90% figure is more or less spot-on.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

CronoGamer posted:

There are other volunteers thinking the same thing.

Other volunteers of the opposite sex.

You'll find a way.

This is a huge relief. I mean, it's not like my PC is contingent upon this issue.

On that note, does anyone know roughly what % of people make it through medical, dental, etc but are then rejected outright by the placement officers?

I thought my application was pretty strong, but after I submitted additional line items to the education placement officer a few weeks ago I have not heard anything. Anyone have any stories about how long this part took?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

internetstuff posted:

This is a huge relief. I mean, it's not like my PC is contingent upon this issue.

On that note, does anyone know roughly what % of people make it through medical, dental, etc but are then rejected outright by the placement officers?

I thought my application was pretty strong, but after I submitted additional line items to the education placement officer a few weeks ago I have not heard anything. Anyone have any stories about how long this part took?

It took me a good 6 months from the time I got all my stuff sent in to the time I got my medical packet. Once I turned in my medical stuff it took me like a month to get medically cleared.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Talked to the local recruiter and he said I should be fine. Forget to ask him if I can use an my boss at my internship as my work rec letter.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Hm, my national agency questionnaire for the peace corp says "All responses must be typed." What the hell does that mean?

durr, I should have read the attached form better. it says to disregard that.

Pocket DeSade fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 18, 2010

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
For what it's worth: I sent an e-mail to my placement desk officer because I hadn't heard anything back from them. They told me they are currently reviewing people who have an early summer departure date. They said they wouldn't be looking over mine (I have a September departure) until mid summer.

My friend was elected to go to Peru about two weeks ago and his departure is June 10. Her email also specified that they will nominate you "as late as" 6 weeks before departure, and that is about how much time they gave my friend.

So if anyone is fretting about their nomination, my best guess is that they are actually fairly serious about their 6 week policy.

T-Rex Money
Dec 10, 2009
I've got to say, being on MedEvac really sucks. I've been on MedEvac for one month now, and D.C. has gotten really boring. Thankfully they let me take a week between appointments and go back home with my family. I still have no clue if I'll be able to go back to my post, but things are possibly looking good for the potential of going to a new post. I'm just not too excited about having to go through training and first six months again if I am sent somewhere new. Man, I miss my host country.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

T-Rex Money posted:

I've got to say, being on MedEvac really sucks. I've been on MedEvac for one month now, and D.C. has gotten really boring. Thankfully they let me take a week between appointments and go back home with my family. I still have no clue if I'll be able to go back to my post, but things are possibly looking good for the potential of going to a new post. I'm just not too excited about having to go through training and first six months again if I am sent somewhere new. Man, I miss my host country.

What do you do all day? Are you free to do whatever you want?

pat_b
Feb 14, 2009
Fallen Rib
So what exactly happens after medical? I've read on the PC site about a placement officer doing a competitive review but I can't find any descriptions on what exactly that is. I'm sending in my medical tomorrow and since my nominated departure date isn't til February I don't expect to hear anything for a long time, but does anything special happen in between medical approval and invitation?

T-Rex Money
Dec 10, 2009

Omits-Bagels posted:

What do you do all day? Are you free to do whatever you want?

Pretty much whatever I want. I could go an entire week without checking in with the office, and I might only check in to get more money. I spent the first two weeks seeing all the free museums and visiting monuments. Met some friends of other volunteers who live in the area, and visited with some extended family. They give us $32USD per day, which is great. Things don't exactly happen quickly though (and it's not really the Peace Corps fault). In the month I've been here I have only had 3 doctors appointments. I think my health coordinator is just as frustrated as I am that it's taking so long, as the last of my 45 days are coming in in a couple weeks.

I was also able to go home for 9 days in between appointments, which was fantastic since it's basically a free vacation. I have been able to save up a lot of money though, so if I end up going back to my host country I'm going to be rich.

pat_b posted:

So what exactly happens after medical? I've read on the PC site about a placement officer doing a competitive review but I can't find any descriptions on what exactly that is. I'm sending in my medical tomorrow and since my nominated departure date isn't til February I don't expect to hear anything for a long time, but does anything special happen in between medical approval and invitation?
I think they are just looking for a place for you to go during that time, but it's competetive because you share a nomination slot with someone else, and they only invite one of you. I initially lost my nomination to that other person and had to wait a few more months to go. But for every person that loses that nomination, someone else gets it... so don't get discouraged.

For me, between medical approval and invitation, I was asked to get more volunteer hours in for youth development. As soon as I proved to them I was serious about this by actually getting hired for the spot I was volunteering with, they sent me an invitation.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I am in a sort of frustrating position. I have posted before about applying from other countries (specifically for me, Japan), and so far the only problem has been to get my fingerprints taken. It is done, thankfully. Now, I am wondering about the timeline between when the interview happens and when I get the medical packet. I am hoping to have it by the end of July, because I am going home and can get some of the medical stuff taken care of a whole lot easier in the states than in Japan.
What is the timeline like?
Should I discuss this with my recruiter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Iwate posted:

I am in a sort of frustrating position. I have posted before about applying from other countries (specifically for me, Japan), and so far the only problem has been to get my fingerprints taken. It is done, thankfully. Now, I am wondering about the timeline between when the interview happens and when I get the medical packet. I am hoping to have it by the end of July, because I am going home and can get some of the medical stuff taken care of a whole lot easier in the states than in Japan.
What is the timeline like?
Should I discuss this with my recruiter?

Do they really have positions in Japan? They're like more developed than we are :(

• Locked thread