Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Slaan posted:

Sweet. I believe they only do English teaching there?

Yep, China is just English teaching at universities/trade schools. There used to be a environmental volunteers, but they kept on trying to actually do things, which the PRC didn't care for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

xcdude24 posted:

For the English teachers on here, what kind of secondary projects do you do, and what percentage of your work is comprised of doing these activities?

It really depends on your country. In Bulgaria, I spent the majority of my time on secondary projects. In China less than 20%, and PCVs are generally discouraged from working with any NGOs or non-profits.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Monkey Fury posted:

Are there chances for volunteers to run meaningful secondary projects in China?

Also -- does the Peace Corps run a second NAC before staging/departure? I (honest to god) haven't done anything wrong since my legal clearance, but I'm just curious. And thanks to China being super special, I get to find out for the third time in less than a year that I do not have TB. Woooohoooooo.

Yes, absolutely. Lots of people do meaningful secondary projects, but you have to be very proactive and also willing to not push too hard if you think it's going to ruffle any feathers. For example, one volunteer did amazing work at a special needs orphanage, but it took her a year to convince the administration that she wasn't just trying to get inside to do a smear piece. Just be patient at your site while you build connections and figure out what's actually possible.

I have no idea about a second NAC, but I doubt it.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Monkey Fury posted:

It's okay :) almost every one in China teaches at the university level, hence the "Welcome to our China"

I also happen to have very mixed feelings about serving in China, because there are people down the road making 8-9x what I do, with fewer teaching hours. Volunteering loses its appeal when your role as a "volunteer" becomes "cheap English teacher"

Also if I hear another PC staff member say our stipends are in line with what local teachers make I'm going to shake my finger and say words

PC China volunteers actually are better off on pay compared to local teachers because our housing is free.

• Locked thread