Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

The intelligence background questionnaire does say that having a close family member who served in intelligence may be disqualifying for a period of up to 10 years.

It's odd but understandable, the Peace Corps can't screen every applicant and right now they have more applications than positions to fill so it's easier to make overarching qualifiers than to expend resources on a case-by-case basis. It's the government, you should understand that.

Well the other problem is theres a lot of conspiracy theories that Peace Corps is a secret intel gathering program under the guise of humanitarian work and they're trying to do everything to keep evidence of that away.

Still sucks dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Finally got to send my application in (Getting reference from my former places of employment was a nightmare, they were either out of work on sick leave or moved to other jobs) now I wait for an interview. Anything I should know? Even "obvious" stuff like dress, I've never had a real interview before, just bum jobs like gas station worker and stuff.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Evil Adam posted:

I wore khakis and a polo shirt, if I recall. It was also like 100 degrees and I spent the day running around trying to find parking for the commuter line, running to catch a subway, wandering around Boston looking for the HQ, and got to the interview like 10 minutes late.

Boston? Sweet that's where I'd be going if they call me in :respek:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Welp. Resume got rejected. Guess they were being truthful times are tough right now and they have to be more selective.

I'm not giving up though, going to do some volunteer work this semester, get some cred under my belt and try again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Wanted to make a note to people who applied recently and got turned down. I got an email this week that they got a budget increase so they're taking people they previously turned down with the catch that you have to be willing to leave before December 31st of this year. I was willing to even though it's cutting it close (graduating dec 17th) and today my application is being reconsidered so if you tried recently and got turned down for not being "competitive" like I did, check your email!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Evil Adam posted:

Have a nice day folks.

No offense but you might wanna nws that, it's kind of jarring to suddenly scroll down to a bloody toe.

In other news got my interview on monday. What's the general success rate assuming I don't make an rear end of myself? Should I not get my hopes up?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Got nominated, Teach English in Europe in March. Really excited now, I got turned down before but things are really going my way now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah same boat here. Going to start tutoring in July and I already got nominated so do the interview first.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Iwate posted:

Got an interview on Monday the 14th, webcam style.
Any advice?

Like any interview, be honest, but twist any faults you have into positives. If you lie you run the risk of being called on it later if its something they can check (classes you've taken, work youve done). It's pretty casual overall, they want you to get in, so just be cool and confident.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

Do you know why you were turned down the first time? I don't think I've heard of that happening from the PC for a non-medical reason.

I wasn't competitive enough was the reason given. I reapplied because emails went out to people who had applied saying there was a budget increase and they were taking people they turned down before.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

How competitive do you have to be? I have some tutor experience and also worked with social workers back in my teens, but really lack on volunteer mostly because I've never had time to do it. I did canvass for Obama back during the primaries.

Don't let my experience worry you I honestly don't know what the gently caress happened in my case. Absolutely nothing changed about my qualifications and I got in on my second try.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

I have my interview Monday. I've read in guides that I should "be knowlegable, but not so knowlegable as to not have questions" (from http://www.peacecorpswiki.com/Interview_Questions)

I saw the sample questions to ask, but I'm afraid of acting like I have the job, by asking them.

I always have trouble with asking questions during an interview, cause I'm afraid the answer is something I should have researched, or I'm just asking a question for the sake of asking.

Do not panic. I'm gonna be up front, if you made it to the interview stage you're almost guaranteed unless you make a serious fool of yourself, and you'll know if they do. These guys are relaxed and almost all of them served once themselves. They were in your position once and wanna see you succeed. It's not "presumptuous" to ask questions and NEVER be afraid it's a stupid question. Asking questions shows you're really invested in this and wanted to hear answers from the source. Sure you COULD get these answers from people on the internet who've served, but you can't be sure if it applies to everyone or is accurate. Asking an authority shows you want the real answers and are dedicated to this and not just doing this "just cause".

Edit: If you still wanna sound informed while asking a question, frame it in the sense of wanting to learn more about what you know. Example: I wanted to ask about what the Peace Corps does if I were to get injured or ill and I wasn't in a position to contact them for medical aid. So I said "I know that the Peace Corps offers medical assistance if you volunteer, but what would happen if I hurt myself and couldn't contact the offices?". I established that I had some knowledge but wanted to know some more.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 27, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

It's better to wear a tie and not have needed to than to not wear a tie and have needed to.

This. I wore a tie and a jacket to be safe. To an interview you can never be "overdressed" in my opinion.

Seriously though good luck, we're rooting for you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

I don't have my 3 months English tutoring experience yet (see above)
Do you think I won't get nominated until I get that done?

You get nominated first. Your recruiter will email you or call you, and will detail what you have to do. So as much as it sucks you can't do much but wait.

Feel free to look for the experience though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

Update: Yay! I got nominated! To "Teach English" in "Eastern Europe"!

Looks like we're rivals till this shits over...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Rush Limbaugh #1! posted:

Sure, I know lots of people who have had a large, positive change of perspective on Americans based on their relationship with a PCV. It's hard to measure nuances like that but I think humanizing foreigners is one of the most important things Peace Corps does in places like China.

It's actually one of their chief goals. Maybe not dissuade terrorism exactly but to extend relationships by showing charitable, down to earth Americans right into their lives.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Winna posted:

Got my invite today, small enterprise development in Vanuatu. Wow, its been almost a year and two months since I initially applied. This has been a long time coming and i'm glad the wait will be over on Sept 10th.

Really happy for you dude. I should be finishing my medical stuff today, even for someone with virtually no health problems this has sucked.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

What The Fucktrain posted:

Just thought of this, not sure if it's been covered or not but speaking of all the medical stuff, does being nearsighted really affect one's chances/position in line, so to speak? And what about someone who gets corrective surgery?

Doesn't affect it in the slighest. Only difference is during the medical phase you will have to see your optometrist to get information about your glasses (Size, shape, lenses etc.), and you MUST bring two pairs with you.

You can bring contacts if you want but you still need 2 pairs of glasses, because they cannot pay for the fluid and you can't be guaranteed you'll find any out there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

And I know if you get corrective surgery, there's like an extra waiting period, to make sure everything is ok there.

Right sorry didn't see the question about corrective surgery.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sheriff Man-Thong posted:

So my nomination came in the mail last week - how long should I expect to wait for the rest of the forms and such?

I got mine almost immediatly but I live right outside of Boston so I'm very close to a recruitment center.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

melaneyelia posted:

I just wrote the rough draft for my DOS, and my boyfriend read it and his first words were, "It just seems so extremely negative it's not really pleasant to read." Am I doing this wrong?

Yeah please post it if you're not opposed to the idea, because we really cant know just from that, your boyfriend might not see what you're trying to convey, or he may be right.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

OK something that just occurred to me because of Mu Cow's post, but anyone with experience with this can answer.

I'm nominated to leave in March and am finishing my undergrad this december. I'd like to go to Grad school as soon as possible when I come back. What are your recommendations for achieving this and when should I do them? Do you take any exams before or after your service? Decide on schools? Any advice you can give because I realized I'm completely at a loss.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That was very helpful, I didnt know you could do that kind of stuff overseas (Though as you seem to imply mileage may vary due to connectivity). Good to know.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Son of Quakerman posted:

Can you re-enlist when your time is up? Is it possible to just remain in the peace corps permanently?

I was told you can stay for up to 5 years but in order to re-enroll it takes as many years as you served, so if you served for 4 years you can re-apply in 4, to keep "fresh" people.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Just say it like that. "I have the most interest in these areas but am willing to go anywhere". I can guarantee you most peace corps volunteers have a pet wish as to where they go, and they wont misinterpret that at the interview if you make it clear it's not contingent on your acceptance.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Miss Fats posted:

That's what I figured but I wanted to make sure. I assumed that it was probably fairly rare when people say "I have no care where I go." and probably even more rare when people say "If you don't send me to Kinshasa I quit."

They actually do ask you where you would not go because there are admittedly some valid reasons (a muslim might not wish to go to a country where he cant practice his faith openly for example).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

To some former PCV I have a question for you. I dont have a passport and I was wondering, do you have to go get your own? I swear I heard that they issue you a passport exclusive to the country youre going to but it's one of those things where i dont know where i heard it so I question the truthfulness.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That's not true, you get a normal passport (but it's a no-fee government one, so after you finish your service you're not supposed to use it anymore)

So you do receive one for free you're just supposed to only use it for peace corps business? I'm just asking because my parents are insisting I get one now and I don't wanna waste money on one if I get one anyway.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Shjade posted:

That is perfect, thank you! Now to go prepare some answers.

Yeah I was asked this word for word, but don't really think too hard about it. You don't wanna come off as scripted, it's very casual for a job interview, and sometimes youre gonna be asked to clarify something you said. Get a general idea for what youre going to say but DON'T write a script.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Must Love Dogs posted:

I might have to have a corneal transplant in the next couple years, before I might go into the Peace Corps. What are the Peace Corps' rules surrounding something like that?

I believe if you're getting it before then there's a 6 month period after surgery to see if any complications arise. If they dont you should be OK.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Health Education isnt all that hard to qualify for if that's what you want to do. Theres technically two kinds, according to the peace corps site:
Health Extension
3-6 months volunteer or work experience in health care, such as EMT, CPR, or first aid certification; hospital or clinic work; HIV/AIDS or family planning education or counseling; or lab tech experience

Hygiene Education/Sanitation
At least 3 months of experience in hands-on skilled work, such as mechanical repair, construction, carpentry, or set design

Neither of these seems hard to get volunteer work for, especially health extension. Talk to a recruiter for advice don't be afraid.

As for the recommendations, send the application now, and get the recommendations later. Although you need recommendations to get an interview it specifically tells you not to wait.

Finally if you're not sure, just do it anyway. You can back out at any time if you really want to, and the process takes a year. That's plenty of time to become more firm in your convictions, or say "you know, this really isn't what I want to do". So just apply now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Egad! posted:

I'm still in school and I did a study abroad trip this summer. I'm basically at my breaking point when it comes to school, I've been taking classes constantly for the past 5 years. My trip this summer is actually what has sort of prodded me to do something else that isn't school.

Yeah I hate to be the bearer of bad news but peace corps has gotten more intense with qualifications lately because with the bad economy they got a LOT of recent grads flooding in, I got rejected my first time, despite nothing really being wrong.
Without a Bachelor's you're really just not going to get past the application process, I'd do what people are saying and try and time it so you can leave shortly after you graduate, this isnt a "take a break from school" thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

I've been hearing so many conflicting reports, from "they're so short-handed that they're forgoing some language requirements" to "they're being super picky since the economy is so bad"

I'm not sure what to think, but I know I'm totally stressing out. lol

I know it sounds contradictory because they actually did wave my language requirement too (I honestly have practically none at all that they were looking for. I took american sign language in high school instead of spanish/french because it was more interesting, and Japanese in college, which I bombed, badly.) But I guess I impressed them by admitting I think I know where I went wrong?

Either way not having a Bachelor's is a HUGE difference from some of the other requirements.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Stuntcat posted:

Please tell us more! Why wouldn't it be? Did you preference it when you were applying?

I am curious as well.

Also my medical forms were not complete enough. Really hope this doesn't mess me up but im not leaving till march and seems pretty minor.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Was 3 things, all pretty minor.
1. Tetnus booster, done because school does it.
2. Some kind of urinalysis got missed
3. I had surgery on my arm a year and a half ago, need surgeon's follow up on it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Heh, I enjoyed it enough the year I was there (studying in Bangkok), but I didn't have the massive boner for the coutnry that so many other people seem to get. What province are you in?

(don't have PM's anymore, but I'd be interested to hear about your experiences. My email is cullen.chad at gmail dot com.

Just an FYI spoiler tags wont stop spam bots, putting the at and dot is sufficient.

quote:

Gah, I'm debilitatingly afraid of needles, and I haven't had a single vaccine updated since I got the first ones when I was a kid. I have a feeling the next couple of months will hold some sad moments for me.
You'll probably get over it with the exposure at least :)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nah, if you don't have any immediate obvious problems on your x-rays I think they just check you off. My dentist even recommended I have my wisdom teeth out before going, but PC never brought it up.

Son of a bitch seriously? I had A cavity so minor the dentist said don't worry about it and Peace Corps still made me have it filled. The dentist filed off barely anything. He was done in probably 10 minutes. What a waste.

Fuschia tude posted:

I haven't heard back since I got a few more tests that they wanted after turrning in my medical forms months ago; my medical status is still pending. The application status site says they might not get to me any time soon since they're currently just reviewing people leaving within 4 months, and my date would be in May. Does this match other peoples' experiences?

They told me that but got to it pretty quickly. It's probably just the worst estimate so you don't get paranoid if theyre not replying in a week.
They'll keep moving forward regardless of your situation so dont worry.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

So I had my interview today, Apparently I qualify for community development, is that like the "you dont fit into anything else, here do this" field?

That's usually english teaching surprisingly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It probably will. Don't worry about it, I got it fixed up in like 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, no, that was 4 months ago. 4 months before I would leave isn't until January, so they seem to be doing exactly what they said.

Me too. It's just precisely this followup information I sent in that I never heard back about, and my medical status is still unresolved.

So did you call your recruiter? My followup info took a bit but I got it done.

• Locked thread