Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I got one month left in Indonesia and it's really exciting to see it all coming to an end. When you look back on it it's just amazing that you made it 2 years where most people I know wouldn't stay a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Unlikely they'll relocate you. It's possible but they dont push you out of the country once you get it. It's endemic in Indonesia, we had quite a few people get their second pass and even then they stayed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Packstand posted:

Do you guys know of any entity that exists that takes entry level medical professionals and puts them over seas? I'm a Medical Assistant and I'd love to go.. anywhere outside of the US and help people.

Peace Corps is going to start taking medical professionals to send abroad.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/resources/media/press/2257/

I don't know how available it'd be to you, it seems like it's limited in scope for now, but could be right up your alley, too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You can usually scare the locals off of english within one or two classes, in my experience.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

xcdude24 posted:

I don't want to brag, but my training house has hot water, a washing machine, and a western toilet

Where are you?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Without knowing what the condition is (and I understand why you'd like to keep that classified) there's really no more information any of us can give you than what it says right there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

N. Senada posted:

Joke's on you, I'm going to a predominantly Islamic state where alcohol (while not strictly illegal) is discouraged. :smug:

:smith:

May I ask where? In my experience that was not a severe limitation.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah it's ok to have your convictions and suggest you might like doing X or going to Y country but always back it up with "But I can do whatever is needed". It may sound pandering on here but they're looking for people who are willing to deal with curveballs.

Like any interview, have a few questions ready to go at the end, even if you kinda know the answer it helps a recruiter to know you're actually invested in this and did enough research that you actually have questions to ask. The recruiter might even surprise you and give you answers you didn't know before. Almost all of them have been RPCVs so they'll tell you the real deal.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Everyone's situation is different so it is hard to directly compare them, personally I'm glad I stuck it out because my group had a whopping 33% ET rate, not counting the people who didn't even make it to training, or who had to leave during it (Peace Corps didn't count them as ETs). It's really self satisfying when all is said and done to say yeah, you finished and you can be with other people who did as well.

That sounds incredibly self serving but only because it's what you will take with you. Your community may or may not value your presence but the longer you stay it's more likely they will. I didn't accomplish much near the end because I was pretty burned out but my community appreciated the commitment and it left a good impression of me and Americans on them, and they kept close contact since the end wasn't as bitter.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Can you explain that situation to Americorps? They might be understanding and, if they don't have a laundry list of applicants already, give you an extension.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I was a volunteer in Indonesia. Would absolutely recommend. Feel free to reach out to me if anyone wants to ask further :)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I had minor surgery on my shoulder years before I left and I made the mistake of telling them. The paperwork I needed to prove I was absolutely safe to serve was insane.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Peace corps has pretty specific fields of humanitarian work it covers and unfortunately no, English teacher is about what you're gonna get.
Most of peace corps is English teachers, followed by some health care, agriculture and engineering things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That's a great mindset to have and I hope one day you feel ready to try.

• Locked thread