Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Moon Slayer posted:

I absolutely agree with this statement.

From looking over this thread it seems the general consensus is that the Peace Corps fails to perform any kind of aid or development mission and really is just a waste of government money and volunteer time unless you are looking to learn a useless language, pad a grad school app, or marry a Cambodian villager.

If that is the case why then have any of you bothered to serve if you aren't doing anything beneficial or substantially gaining from it yourselves? Did you honestly not know what you were getting into when you signed up? Or did you really want to spend two years in a jungle just to boost your grad school applications?

If the consensus is that the PC doesn't do anything beneficial for the host countries, what personal benefit, if any, did those of you who served actually get out of your time in the PC? Would anyone care to elaborate on this?

I have been considering applying for the PC after my graduation since hearing good things from two friends who have been involved with the PC but it seems at least here on SA there is a very negative view of PC service and I'm wondering whether it's just typical internet cynicism or that the service really would be a waste of my time and effort that could be put to use elsewhere with benefit to myself or others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread