Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

But think about all that Patience and Flexibility you are learning!

Actually if nothing else this part of the process gives you a taste of the kind of bureaucratic hoops you will need to jump through if you want to do a side project when you are a Volunteer. Except then you will also have to deal with the corruption.

But if you do manage to get a successful project off the ground, the victory is that much more sweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Darfuri War Orphan posted:

So, I just cleared medical and now have to send an updated resume. I haven't had a real job since July. Will this look super terrible and threaten my odds of being placed in whatever they were planning to place me in?

Given how common this is nowadays and the fact that you are already at the medical stage, I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure that at this point Peace Corps already has you down for a spot in a particular program, barring any problems that come up with the medical and legal check.

If it makes you feel any better, Peace Corps was my very first "real job," everything else was just summer work during college, and I hadn't had any of that for two years before I applied.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Here's a weird one: Is it possible to join the Peace Corps if you've served in a foreign armed forces?

That's a good question. I assume you are a US citizen now. Did you do intelligence work when you were in the armed forces? What countries military did yous serve in?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

gimme the lute posted:

I have my interview today! :dance: I have been practicing ways of inserting "patient and flexible" into ordinary conversation, do any of you have any other last-minute tips?

Don't stress over it, just look presentable and speak clearly, and don't admit to any past drug use if there was any.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Question: I've heard that you can't enter the peacecorp if you have debt or student loans. Is that true or not? I'd really hope that isn't the case because this is something I've been considering for a while. I've got a degree in biology, worked in two hospitals and several pharmacies, have no medical problems, and I have experience tutoring so the teaching part wouldn't be a problem either. Anyone have any info on this?

I had a federal loan and was able to defer it completely for 2 years. Serving in the Peace Corps is specifically listed as a reason you can apply for that particular deferment.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I saw that but I still don't know too much about how common it is, experiences, etc.

It's pretty common. You would be placed in the same village together, though not necessarily the same job. Peace Corps will go out of their way to find living accommodation for a couple, although I've heard that in the two months of in-country training sometimes married couples live separately. That may just be if Peace Corps can't find housing for a couple, though.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Updated the OP. If you see something that needs to be changed, let me know. I'm too lazy to go digging through the thread, although I'll probably start changing the 2011's to RPCV's.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

NBC News ran a story on older volunteers joining the Peace Corps: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40153870/vp/46634019#46634019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Alright, my wife and I have our interview in a few weeks... a total of 3 months after submitting our applications! Is that a really long time for this stage, or the norm?

That's really, really quick. Keep in mind that the average time from submitting your application to leaving the country is 9 months to a year.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Updated the OP with the new people. The shill, do you mind if I link your blog in the OP?

And just a reminder for everyone, if you want something added/changed in the OP, let me know!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

the shill posted:

In other news, I'm at midservice conference right now, being around all these people who are my friends is nevertheless overwhelming. I will be 24 soon. Why am I writing this?

Because Peace Corps conferences are great at demonstrating just how much you and everyone else has forgotten about normal social interaction while at site.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Slaan posted:

My staging to Benin starts today, and I'll be in West Africa sometime Tuesday. Thanks for this thread guys! The OP can officially put me down as an EA trainee for Benin.

Done. Good luck!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Slaan posted:

Also, 40 pounds lost over 4 months... Most of it do to parasites I think. :(

Gotta love the Peace Corps Diet.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

the shill posted:

On a side note, someone please tell me they know who updates this website:

https://whatshouldpcvscallme.tumblr.com

So I can express my heartfelt appreciation.

http://whatshouldpcvscallme.tumblr.com/post/33183677098/when-i-go-to-an-all-you-can-eat-buffet

[ASK] Us why the US Embassy doesn't like to invite us to events anymore!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CronoGamer posted:

Just go with what the locals do.

A krama and nothing else?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

For people who are getting ready to head home, keep in mind that reverse culture shock is a very real thing that you will experience to some extent. Not only from your host country's culture, but also from Peace Corps culture. For example, did you know that back home it is actually NOT acceptable to play "who's had the worst diarrhea" over a meal?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

hate pants posted:

So currently I am twenty years old and a sophomore in college, with three years of schooling left (I go to a five year university). It has been my dream since I was a kid to go into the Peace Corps, and I wanted to get a start on it as early as possible, so I met with a recruiter who came to my campus. I am hoping to teach English, and I don't really care at what level.

She said I was kind of the perfect candidate: I am an English major, with a double minor in Linguistics and Legal Studies. I have spent six months working at an inner city school in Boston, tutoring and TAing, with multiple opportunities to continue my work through the next years of my schooling (my school has a heavy focus on co-oping, so currently I'm; working as a paralegal, but I hope to take my next co-op teaching again). I have zero chronic health issues and I rarely get sick. I have also spent two years living in Vietnam and Cambodia in my teens.

So basically my question is: is there any hidden poo poo that I need to watch out for? Something that will disqualify me or make me less desirable that I didn't consider? I would really like to cover all my bases before I begin the process. Also, since I have time, is there anything else I should do to strengthen my application?

Thanks for your input, Peace Goons!

Don't murder anyone or get arrested for selling drugs, I guess? You sound like the perfect candidate.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

problematique posted:

I'm from the Foreign Service megathread getting processed to start soon. Do PCV ever mingle with or hang out with US Embassy/Consulate staff besides the initial swearing-in and the 'let's evacuate this joint' type affairs? Officially, are there cooperative aid or development type project/iniatives - any interaction really? I'm also a younger single guy, seems like PCV would be a good source of expats to hang out and commiserate with in-country on unofficial 'lets hang out and drink a case(s) of beer' type events.

In Cambodia we did a few things with the Embassy - a meet n' greet during a training thing and we were all invited to the Ambassador's house during pre-service training for a dinner (and a swim in the pool, despite whatever unspeakable thing K1 had done the previous year). But like someone said, it varies from country to country. Keep in mind that the majority of volunteers are going to be out in the countryside, not in the capital.

Also, the Embassy 4th of July party gave me my favorite overheard quote from my time in Peace Corps:

"Better get a piece of that cake before the Peace Corps people see it."
-US Embassy staffer, unwittingly alerting several half-starved Volunteers fresh in from the provinces to the existence of cake.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

In Cambodia we got US$200 a month, half of which went to our host families for room and board. If we negotiated a lower price or figured out some way to live on our own they would cut that extra bit appropriately, so we basically got US$100 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also if you keep them on the floor you'll find frogs in them like every single morning.

• Locked thread