Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I'm a teacher now. Err... an ALT in Japan like a few people on this forum. I am also really interested in PC, but I don't want to continue teaching. I want to build houses, farm, or anything using my hands.
I would not mind teaching some times, but I would prefer not to do it all the time.
This is really my only preference, aside from some place warm to hot.
I am sane, reliable, healthy and have a degree. And I am sure that since I have 2+ years of teaching experience, I can get in as a teacher. But can I request to not be one?

Also, how hard would it be to apply out of country? I have a friend who did it from Japan (she is in Tonga now), so I know its not impossible... well, regardless, if I am devout to joining the PC enough, I will make it happen. So I guess this is a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
A few questions about the application process.
1) Can I submit more than three references?
2) Will the application process be hindered if I am living overseas?
3) For the placement section, I just want warm weather. Hotter the better. Should I put a specific place? Or should I just say 'anywhere' then not select central or eastern Europe and write "Warm climate" in the reason box?
4) Should I try and contact a guy who I volunteered with 3 years ago for only a month for a recommendation. (it would be the only guy would I could get a recommendation from for volunteer services... that speaks English)
5) I'm a volunteer fire fighter in Japan. The unfortunate thing is, my supervisor guy only speaks Japanese. Would it be bad rear end or improper to use him as a rec? (the rec would be in Japanese, and I could probably help him fill it out).

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Whoa - I have a friend who's in Iwate right now. You're a volunteer firefighter there?

Yeah. It is intense to learn CPR in foreign language.

Who is your friend? I know... everyone here.
PM me if you want.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
Alright, so, I am finished with my application online and all my references are in.
But, I am fretting about my personal statements. I have refined and redone them so many times. I basically have been working on them for the past 2-3 months.
What I want to know, should I be placing as much importance on them? Or should I just stick with what I have got (which are actually two nice essays), grammar check them and send them in? Basically biting the bullet...
Am I waisting time trying to perfect my essays when I feel that I will really be adding nothing pertinent to them content wise?
I also am scared of pressing the submit button.

Is the interview more important than the personal statements?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Omits-Bagels posted:

I wrote mine in like 2 hours (while watching TV). You are wasting your time. I doubt they even read it that closely.

gently caress me, I am waisting my time.
Thanks.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Riven posted:

Sorry, this is super nitpicky, and this may be too late. But please have someone else proofread them. Because you're wasting your time. No good spending 3 months revising them only to be left with a few spelling errors grammar check won't catch.

I'm a language arts teacher. It's in my blood.

Part of the reason why I spent a long time on them is because my buddy who worked as an essay editor in college proof read them, tore them a new rear end in a top hat, and made me cry.
But they are pretty solid now. And I still have him check over them every time I make a huge edit.
I am pretty sure I am down to the final draft. yay? My friend has really been a big help. I definitely will come back and give him whatever crazy disease I get as a souvenir for all his hard work.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I am in a sort of frustrating position. I have posted before about applying from other countries (specifically for me, Japan), and so far the only problem has been to get my fingerprints taken. It is done, thankfully. Now, I am wondering about the timeline between when the interview happens and when I get the medical packet. I am hoping to have it by the end of July, because I am going home and can get some of the medical stuff taken care of a whole lot easier in the states than in Japan.
What is the timeline like?
Should I discuss this with my recruiter?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
Lol, Peace Corps in Japan...Naw. I live here, and am applying for the PC now.

But yeah, anyone know the turnaround between the interview and when you get the med packet?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
Got an interview on Monday the 14th, webcam style.
Any advice?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
No pants. Got it.

This is exciting. Unfortunately I have to do it at 11 at night, but hey, whatever gets me into the peace corps is worth it.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Iwate posted:

No pants. Got it.

This is exciting. Unfortunately I have to do it at 11 at night, but hey, whatever gets me into the peace corps is worth it.

I will let you all know how it goes.

I knew they offered webcam interviews because my friend applied from within the same country I am in.

Pocket DeSade posted:

The webcam thing is honestly fascinating, I had no idea they did things like that. Did your recruiter suggest it or did you?

I think I'd be more afraid of webcams than an in-person or phone interview. I think because too much chat roulette made me associate webcamming with having a dong flopping in my face.

And I also hope I don't see my recruiters dong...mainly because she is a she... but hey, with laid back people anything can happen...

Iwate fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 3, 2010

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I just had my interview via webcam. It went really well, or so I hope. I was really tired, because it was 10 at night, but I think i nailed it. The webcam worked for 10 minutes, cut out for 10 seconds, then we decided to finish the interview over the phone.

I am up for either secondary english teacher training, which sounds a lot better than teaching kids for another 2 years. And water and sanitation, which they said I qualify for but I am probably not going to get.
I also qualified for just normal english teaching, but since I am over qualified for that, they will use me elsewhere. Yay for being awesome!

I will keep you all posted about a nomination (if I get one).

Cheers to waiting a month.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I am gonna get f'in nominated!!!:
Program: Primary Education Teacher Training
Region: Sub-Saharan Africa
Departure Date: June 2011

I'm gonna teach how to teach. Balla.

Anyone got anything about Primary Education Teacher Training?

Iwate fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 18, 2010

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I got my medical packet a few days ago. I feared what was inside, but after looking through all of it, it seems really easy. Almost too easy.

I have/had nothing wrong with me ever, no allergies or anything. Provided I get all the paperwork in that they sent me (A physical, dental and eye), will there be more?
Like I said, it seems almost too easy, and I am nominated for subsahara Africa, which I would think is a place requiring more than a physical.

However, if this is all I have to do, then that is awesome.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Grammar Fascist posted:

Yes, you can apply from abroad (I think a poster earlier applied from Japan).

Yeah, that was me. Everything was 'easy' except for getting my fingerprints. Every police station I went to thought I was a criminal, or died in a car accident, these are the only two reason to finger print in Japan. While I was researching stuff about getting fingerprints taken internationally, I heard they were rather difficult to get done in England, but not impossible. I think you might have to go to Scotland Yard or something. Aside from that (not) little snag, everything is totally doable. The webcam interview will probably break and you will continue the interview by phone.(as it did with me and everyone else I know who interviewed this way), I just called their office using skype. I drank a beer before hand which helped with the nervousness, but I also prepared an answer to all the questions on the peace corps wiki, had them written down next to me. I feel like I sorta cheated, but hey, I will do a good job, so whatever. They send you everything directly. But I think you have to have some address in the states you list as your 'home' or something. They will send you there if you have to leave your post for whatever reason. I am on the medical stuff right now.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever gone to a VA hospital and done their exam/tests?
I will be home for a few weeks in august and will try to see if I can get an appointment there so i can get it done for free. Will I have to go more than two times to the hospital?

Iwate fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 6, 2010

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Grammar Fascist posted:

We did all our medical exams/bloodwork at a DOD hospital on a military base... if you want to get your appointments taken care of at a VA hospital, I would start calling now--the three VA hospitals in our state (Missouri) just refused to help us (and Peace Corps won't do anything to force them to help you), and the DOD hospital that was willing to help couldn't see us for over two months. You should be able to do everything in one trip, though it will depend on what the doctor wants to do about waiting for blood tests (our doctor kept our paperwork until the results came back and then mailed the completed forms to us, but he forgot to sign a couple of places and forgot to fill in a couple of results, so we had to mail the packets back and wait for him to get them and send them back to us a second time before we could send them in to Peace Corps).

Even though we were both healthy (no broken bones, surgeries, illnesses, etc.), it still managed to turn into a huge ordeal.

Would ANY military base be able to do this? I.E. There is an airforce base that is located near me. I guess I should just call them, no?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

My friend's sort of lady friend is going on a Peace Corps mission soon, and while he isn't too committed to her, he is still jealous. Do Peace Corps people live the usual kinky life of expatriates?

Im still an applicant so I don't know, but I read a stat somewhere that claims '90%' of people bone whilst serving in the peace corps. Whether that was with other PCV, local natives, goats and/or Mr. Lefty, maybe someone can clarify.

But I hope to god there is something...

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
My friend who applied from Japan (like I am doing now) just sent me a nice e-mail on how to do everything for the medical check while in Japan.
I am lucky that I am going home for two weeks and will get the TB, MMR (& and any other vaccine that I might need), and my eyeballs checked. Though all of these can be done from here, just not as easy as home.
I ditched the idea of bothering the VA hospital when I go home this summer, and the DoD hospital at the military base north of me. The both seemed extremely busy when I called (because they didn't even pick up my calls after waiting for an hour or so).

All together, including the blood tests, (but not the eye, or dental, which is still really cheap here) should cost around 350. Yay! And I can get it all done with one trip.

I know I am the only one right now applying from Japan, and maybe the first ever on SA, but because we are all a bunch of nerdgoons here, I assume there will be one more, and I will be more than willing to help anyone. Maybe it will be the same process in other foreign countries... who knows?
I will write up a more detailed list of stuff that I went through, once I get it all done.

Also, thanks to you goons for helping.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
It's a sign to start again! Don't let it get you down.
I am 8 months into my Peace Corp's app process and getting the last bit of medical stuff checked out soon.
Hopefully I will make the June mark of my nomination.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Egad! posted:

I'm still in school and I did a study abroad trip this summer. I'm basically at my breaking point when it comes to school, I've been taking classes constantly for the past 5 years. My trip this summer is actually what has sort of prodded me to do something else that isn't school.

I spent a semester in Japan. If I did not do that, I would have been burned out. A summer course was a good start, but you should try to earn as much credits as possible while living abroad. This will make for less work to be done back at home in college!

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also my medical forms were not complete enough. Really hope this doesn't mess me up but im not leaving till march and seems pretty minor.

What was wrong with them? I am curious because I am about to send mine in, as soon as I get back one piece of paper from my doc after he signed it.
Unfortunately, I have to receive a measles, a polio vaccine booster and a mumps booster... and they have to be a month apart from each other. I did the measles already, will do the polio next month and will do the mumps in December.
Luckily, they said I can send everything that I have in now, and fax them poo poo when I get it.
Medical stuff has been really really annoying. But, I am almost done!

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Riven posted:

Gah, I'm debilitatingly afraid of needles, and I haven't had a single vaccine updated since I got the first ones when I was a kid. I have a feeling the next couple of months will hold some sad moments for me.

Yeah. I been poked and prodded so many times. Luckily, I don't bruise easy, so I don't have any track marks.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I was cleared dentally in like 3 days after they received my medical stuff... is that fast?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Tomato Soup posted:

Would this affect my chances of getting accepted? :ohdear:

You should send an e-mail to a recruiter. They would have the most accurate answer. But, I would guess, so long as you are a qualified applicant, they will accommodated to your medical necessities.
I don't think they consider medical stuff in the application process (except for finding you a proper placement), unless it is in that long list of stuff they outright say 'no' to.
Here is a pdf with that very list: http://multimedia.peacecorps.gov/multimedia/pdf/library/peacecorpsmedinfo.pdf

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I am going through all the same bullshit with my medical stuff, too. Except, I have to translate everything from Japanese to English... and the only doctor who is willing to help me is 3 hours away.
FML
I am so close though, 5 more little things on my checklist to go.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
After 6 months of hell, I finally got medically cleared!

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Pocket DeSade posted:

I'm going to end the stuff regardless, but I wanted to know how fuckled I am.

You should be fine. E-mail someone, like your medical contact.

On a similar note, I got my dental and medical poo poo qualified (letter and everything), but myToolkit still says that they are still reviewing my information. Actually, it says my dental is complete, but my medical is still being reviewed. Is this normal? Does the toolkit even matter?
Also, should I preemptively contact someone at the placement office to see if they need anything from me (i.e. tell them I am alive, still interested, and hope this gets the ball rolling?) or should I just play the waiting game?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Pocket DeSade posted:

Stupid question, but how do I find out who my medical contact is?

There should have been a person listed on a piece of paper (of which there are many, i know) in your medical packet thing. The sheet for me looked like it was photocopied. I don't have a copy here, or I would scan it to show you. If I recall correctly, it was on the bottom right of the page with a name, e-mail and phone number.

I e-mailed my medical contact about myToolkit thing, she said it should be updated, but it isn't. :-( She said to let her know when it does though. My only panic is that it might be correlated with placement possibly not knowing I am medically qualified.
I think I am just panicking for no reason, but I want this poo poo to be done with already.
gimme my invite, god damnit!

Sorry for the rant.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

newberstein posted:

I just finished my application, so now I am trying to figure out what my chances of being selected are.
It is not just about how qualified you are, but more so about how much endurance you have to complete the application process. You have to be patient and flexible. These two words will come up the most during the application, and you should say "I am patient and flexible" verbatim during the interview at least 2000x's.

My only comment about your resume is that you need to prove you can cut it living in a foreign country. Except for me having a one up on you in that department, your poo poo is way better than my resume and I am 99% done and just waiting for my invite.

Chade Johnson posted:

For my recommendation letters, is there a special envelope I need to use?

It all is done online. You give your references' e-mail addresses on the online app somewhere, then they get an e-mail about how to fill it out.
There is a way for the recs to be done offline, but I think the PC likes less hassle with the all online app.

Also, waiting sucks balls. So hard. So hard.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Stuntcat posted:

S'up, waiting on placement buddy?

Yep, patience. I'm 7 months in to the process, and on the placement desk, not yet invited. Given, I had a small med snafoo.

When, where and what 'job'?
I am June, 2011. Subsahara Africa. Primary Teacher Education.

I think I should hear in March or early April. The Peacecorps wiki doesn't help when I read people's blogs saying they have been officially invited for June and July... or even just contacted by the placement office. I have been waiting for more than a month since my Med clearance, and nothing.

Yo allergy dude. Just apply and talk about it in your interview. Go slightly prepared though, like can you use one of those fancy pens? or is there a drug that you should have on you at all times?
But really, you need to talk to a recruiter about this, and there is no better way than to go and apply! Plus during the medical clearance phase, you will need a special note from a doctor saying that this is exactly what you will do in situations where you ingest some (loving delicious) peanuts.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Ronald Spiers posted:

Ask your local school district for volunteering opportunties.

Also, does it have to be volunteer teaching? I taught English for one year in South Korea, does that help my chances in getting into Peace Corps?

I have 3 years teaching experience in Japan. No teaching volunteer experience. I got nominated for a 'primary teacher education' position, which apparently is for people with well above the 30 hours of volunteer experience. You are already qualified, basically.

Your Korean teaching experience is good because it also shows that you can live in another country for an extended period of time.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I got in.
My invitation is in the mail. An e-mail said:
West Africa. Primary Teacher Trainer. Late June.
According to the PCWiki, I will go to The Gambia.
yay

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I am writing my aspiration statement after my acceptance of my invitation. The prompt seems like a middle school essay, to the point of it seeming stupid easy.

My girlfriend thinks I need to be concise. I think the PC want more examples.
Basically, what is this aspiration statement all about? Is it worth putting a lot of writing? Or is my gf right in assuming being concise is better?

What do those of you who have written it think? I feel I have answered everything, but I only have about a page. Does the aspiration statement really matter all that much?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I am leaving Tuesday morning for The Gambia. Apparently it is the PC's 50th anniversary, in honor of this I will be meeting the crazy President of the Gambia. Yeah this guy.

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Given the non-political nature of Peace Corps and the countries it operates in, you should get used to not only meeting but working with people who aren't the nicest.

This is what makes the PC exciting, right? Challenge accepted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009

xcdude24 posted:

I'm in the midst of completing the initial application, and noticed that library work is listed on the "practical experience" tab. I worked at a library for two years during school, but I don't see library work as a sufficient qualification on any of the employment pages. Does anyone know if anything listed under the practical experience tab suffices to qualify, or am I going to need something different? I'm hoping to get into an English teaching position, but I wouldn't turn down a different line of work if they had something else in mind for me.

In the Gambia, most education positions are for teacher trainers who also run libraries. My self being one of them. Either they set up a new one, or maintain and upgrade an existing.
Your library experience should help you. Do you have any teaching experience?

• Locked thread