Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009
Serving in Panama 2009-2011 Ag vol; completely missed this thread.

I had a religion BA but also logged serious hours volunteering with non-profit educational agriculture programs and had additional sustainable farming experience so had no problem getting in. I originally wanted to go to North Africa/finish learning Arabic but ended up in one of the supposedly most competitive areas with just 5 years of Spanish in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009

T-Rex Money posted:

Has anyone ever re-enrolled? I was medically separated this past May, and have had the summer to reflect on my experiences. I've decided that my Peace Corps experience is not yet over and I would like to do it again. However I have no clue how to start the re-enrollment process. Anyone with experience in this?

If your medsep issue has been resolved, you just need a doctor to verify this. It's best to contact the OMS just to make sure there is/isn't a specific form your doctor would need to fill out and send to Peace Corps. You might be assigned to a different community/country if they've placed another vol in your community though, it is up to the CD to decide if they want you back in the same place. Other than that it should be really simple.

Good luck!

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009

huhu posted:

2 Month PST, 3 weeks on medical hold because gently caress the PCMO, and then about 3 months from moving to site to finishing construction. We have to live with host families for 3 months minimum.

This is incredibly late, I just saw your post from last year. So you ended up in Panama? Which part? I was in Colon province.

My little brother just joined and is going to leave for Peru in June. I'm already daydreaming about my trip to visit him.

ThePriceJustWentUp posted:

I just graduated with a degree in Peace and Conflict Studies for some reason, I'm slightly older with a little bit of an IT background before school, and I am thinking of applying to the Peace Corps. I would be willing to do anything other than teach english. Is that possible? What are the experience requirements for the various fields?

I was in Sustainable Agriculture, and a lot of my friends in the program had never had any prior agricultural experience. So there is that. A lot of other people in Business Development also had little prior experience. In my experience you can either choose what you teach or a vague area (Asia, Africa) where you would prefer to be placed, but not both.

heliotroph fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 5, 2014

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009
Edit is not quote.

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009

huhu posted:

Ended up in Cocle. Out of site now because I was supposed to meet my friend in Penonome and bring him back to my site but he got robbed and now has to go get all new cards and such. :woop:

Nice! I only went down to visit friends in Cocle on the way to Chitre once, and I also was pickpocketed. :v Which I thought was pretty rich considering all the time I spent in Colon City. You must know some of my friends that stayed on and became part of the staff there - small internet! If you are inland you are probably fairly close to my former site. You probably had all your questions answered by now but if you have any left I can shoot you an e-mail to talk, I only have a school one so I don't want to post it on here. I haven't been back to visit yet but I'd like to some day - I miss all the weird animals and customs. When I get drunk I still try to gritar for my friends in the US but it just isn't the same without a bottle of Seco and some tipico.

a distorted reality posted:

Posting this from PC/Peru. I'm a health volunteer (with a B.A. in Political Science!) and tomorrow starts my English class for eight weeks due to the rainy season -- schools are out of session, the holidays are over, and our post in Lima more or less expects it from us as a "secondary" project. You can also include different themes/concepts in your class that relate to your primary goals, e.g. hand-washing. Thankfully, I don't have to reinvent the wheel here because our English teaching committee has done a wonderful job and uploaded dozens of lesson plans, songs, and activities to a shared Dropbox account. I really appreciate this because I have 70 students 4 days a week in 3 different classes (2 for elementary MW and TuTh, 1 for high school).

Hey, would you be at all willing/interested in answering some questions for my brother? He's heading there in June and probably has a ton, I'm sure.

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009

huhu posted:

Pretty much all my questions are answered. Six months in country (Seven months in country in six days, gently caress) and just about everything has been answered. Or hasn't, and I've just given up. However, I was pondering today why the hell so many companies don't translate stuff to Spanish here. The Melo says "Pet & Garden" underneath its title. On a sadder note, did you see the Facebook group about BV? :(
Yeah, I figured. I just happened to check the thread a week ago and found your message, I felt bad that I had just missed it. I personally thought that most of the English signs were just like they have in Japanese or Korean societies - because of the invasion/occupation they had a lasting exposure to English so incorporated it into a lot of their business/slang/etc. My favorite was a cantina named "Grilfriends". I heard about him, but not what happened or anything. It's a shame, he was an inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009
I used to have to walk a mile out of my town and stand on top of a hill in a cow pasture in a 2x2 foot area to get to get 2 bars of cellphone reception...if it was windy it wouldn't work, and I dropped calls about 2-10 minutes in on average. You guys are in a different world.

• Locked thread