Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

According to the PC Wiki the two Eastern European countries with staging dates (likely) in September are Macedonia and Ukraine.

How did you find this information?

My nomination is Central Asia for September ... I have a "Program Number" too. I'd love to see which countries depart in September if there is some kind of listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
This is AWESOME. Thank you!

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Just venting a bit ... I'm in the same situation some others seem to be. I have passed all medical/dental/legal and am waiting on a placement. I sent an updated resume to my placement officer, but she also gave a lot of instructions in her e-mail regarding getting a transcript to her, so maybe I won't hear much back until after I graduate (Just a few more weeks ... May 15)

Obviously, the bit about "two nominations per spot" has me fairly breathless too.

I was nominated for Secondary English in Central Asia which was pretty much my dream post. I have my fingers crossed especially for a Russian language post.

Also, where are people getting this information about the increase in money from $6,000 to $7,000+? I googled the phrase but didn't find anything but this thread.

Thanks!

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
I'm glad you asked that, because I've been thinking it. The idea of 2 years without any kind of sexual activity is scary.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

CronoGamer posted:

There are other volunteers thinking the same thing.

Other volunteers of the opposite sex.

You'll find a way.

This is a huge relief. I mean, it's not like my PC is contingent upon this issue.

On that note, does anyone know roughly what % of people make it through medical, dental, etc but are then rejected outright by the placement officers?

I thought my application was pretty strong, but after I submitted additional line items to the education placement officer a few weeks ago I have not heard anything. Anyone have any stories about how long this part took?

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
For what it's worth: I sent an e-mail to my placement desk officer because I hadn't heard anything back from them. They told me they are currently reviewing people who have an early summer departure date. They said they wouldn't be looking over mine (I have a September departure) until mid summer.

My friend was elected to go to Peru about two weeks ago and his departure is June 10. Her email also specified that they will nominate you "as late as" 6 weeks before departure, and that is about how much time they gave my friend.

So if anyone is fretting about their nomination, my best guess is that they are actually fairly serious about their 6 week policy.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Honestly it's not that hard to find something to do. If you live in or near a city call the local schools and see if any of them have an accelerated English program for kids of recent immigrants, and then talk to whoever is in charge of it and explain your situation to them. That's what I did. I got my 30 hours in the first week and stuck around for another month on my own.

Seconding this. Frankly, I just cold-called all the nonprofits in the area that do literacy saying "Hey, I need 30 hours for the Peace Corps, I will work for free at any hours you can give me" and they jumped at it. Nonprofits love free work.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
I think you'll be okay. I did it before my interview, but I have a friend who went through his interview and was told to do X, Y, and Z over the summer. He did so, and got his invitation a month or so ago..

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Hah! The webcam software froze up like halfway through our interview. We ended up doing it by the phone while we stared at a still image of one another on our screen.

You'll get directions for how to operate the special software they use for their webcam interviews. Make sure your web browser supports it, etc, before your slated time.

My recruiter was really laid back and chill. Good luck!

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Whats up people!
I got my invitation packet today. I'm going to Kazakhstan to teach Secondary english on August 18. Anyone else going??

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
the paperwork is not actually as bad as it seems at first blush. Definitely do the passport stuff online and print it.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Stoner - Have you learned anything definitive about language during Pre-Service Training? Do we get training in BOTH Russian AND Kazakh?

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Tie never hurts. Nobody will ever scorn you for being over dressed in my opinion. Plus, it always goes that extra bit to make it look like you're cleaned up and well prepared.

Regarding questions, in my interview I asked about resources to learn more. I asked about books I could read, websites, etc. This, I think, is a good question because it makes it clear that you are excited to learn more and it's easy for the interviewer to answer.

Good luck!!

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Strunk posted:

If it doesn't bore the dammit out of everyone, we can go into more detail.

I'm interested!

Please don't misinterpret this as somehow snarky, but: I think a lot of people who are interested in Peace Corps ARE interested in international development. I am leaving for Kazakhstan on August 18 and I am very interested in development economics.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Rush Limbaugh #1! posted:

Also, the second and third goals of Peace Corps (improving cross-cultural understanding) are an important part of service that is hard to quantify, and for that reason is often overlooked in criticism of PC policy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_power

This is a big part of what drew me to PC in the first place. I really dig this Nye stuff.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

People always give me weird looks when I tell them that the Peace Corps is basically force projection with soft power.

Sometimes I get real poli sci with it and say "Hopefully the more people develop positive, constructive memories from direct contact with Americans, the less they will be prone to buy into terrorist rhetoric"

I mean, it's possible, right?

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Sheriff Man-Thong posted:

I got my nomination on Friday! Community Development, Subsaharan Africa, April/May 2011 departure.

So excited! :dance:

Congrats! Very exciting! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
I am in PC Kaz now. I am getting on a train tomorrow for the "transition conference." We were given 5 days to pack up our belongings.

• Locked thread