Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Would it be kosher to crosspost my application resume here from the resume thread? I'd like to get some PCV input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Ronald Spiers posted:

I got a peek at your resume at the resume thread. Personally I think you look good. I think PC would be more concerned about your health and as long as you have a clean criminal record. PC might recommend more volunteer work.

I was actually wondering If anyone could give specific recommendations vis a vis format, content etc.
I'm not going to waste everyone's time asking if you think I will get in.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I got my nomination today!!! I'll be teaching English in a non-Spanish speaking post in Central/South America, departing in mid-April 2013. Apparently the health packet wont be sent until mid-August and the entire process is in the middle of being re-vamped.

quote:

In August, Peace Corps is transitioning to a new application process and the medical process will be changing as a result. In order to transition your application into the new system, we will not be sending you a medical kit at this time. Instead, you will need to fill out the new Health History Form (HHF) in August when we transition to the new process. You will receive an email in August with instructions concerning how to fill out the new form. Please complete the HHF as soon as you receive the email so that you can continue forward in the application process and be on target to be considered for your nominated program. The only thing we ask of you between now and August is that you please continue to gain any skills required for your nominated program.
The HHF is similar to the Health Status Review (HSR) you filled out as part of your original application and may take you less than 45 minutes to complete. Instead of asking for your entire medical history, we are now concerned with medical issues that are current, have occurred within the last two years, or may require support in the field. Once you complete the new HHF in August, it will be reviewed to determine if you are medically pre-qualified. A member of the medical staff will contact you if you need to provide additional medical information prior to receiving an invitation. Please be prompt in responding to all requests for paperwork. Only once you have accepted an invitation to a country of service will you be required to complete physical and dental examinations.

So what does it mean that I will be teaching English at a non-Spanish speaking post in Central/South America? Does That mean that the entire country doesn't speak Spanish or just the people at the site?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Suriname is closing down in 2013 too. It looks like the list is Jamaica, Belize, E. Caribbean and Guyana.

What I really wanted to talk about was the change in the application process that is taking effect. The medical exam has been moved to after the invitation has been sent out and the invitation has been bumped up by several weeks.

It looks like the medical process itself is being overhauled too. It's changing to "A secure online Medical Applicant Portal will replace the paper-based medical kit." with an emphasis on current conditions or conditions that were present in the last two years. It seems like this might make the medical exam a lot less painless but now you have just 30 days to complete it and if anything is wrong you have just another 30 before you leave for staging.
There's a FAQ on the PC website
http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.howvol.stepstoapply.newappfaq

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I'm right in the middle of the "new system" and there's not a lot of difference from what I can tell. You get a bunch of immunization, exam, and dental forms to fill out with immunization records and with your doctors. Then you upload them onto the medical portal. You're supposed to get your medical documents no more than 120 days before your departure but I got mine later than that (though not much later). Basically you have two months to get your stuff done or you're SOL.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I just got medical and dental clearance under the new system so I figured I'd let everyone know what has changed. And Moon Slayer, if you want to add this to the OP it might be helpful.

Part of the application is now the MMF which is essentially a questionnaire about your health over the last two years. The time between nomination and invitation is now essentially a dead zone. About a week before invitation, You'll get a and new essay to write and a new format for your resume. The next week, you'll get your invitation and once you accept or reject, you'll be able to access the medical applicant portal and your physical dental and immunization paperwork. The peace corps will reimburse you $150 for a yellow fever shot $60 for your physical exam and $40 for the dental exam. According to my physician, the new Physical is MUCH shorter than the old one (though just as invasive :zoid:).

The thing that amazed me the most was the speed which i was cleared; After I had everything scanned and sent in, I was cleared the next day.

fake edit: I'm not sure about those reimbursement figures, it's what I got.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
The official terminology is aspiration statement and I'm fairly sure that everyone has to do one. Usually this will take place around 130 to 140 days before departure.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
You don't have a ton of choice on where you go vis-a-vis language. I'm a fluent in Spanish with ESL experience and they have me teaching literacy in Guyana. I even stressed my foreign language skills in my resume and essays to no avail.
Personally, it didn't really matter to me. I'm happy with anywhere.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
There's a list of the questions they will probably ask. Study those and be cool bro.

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WXqoA7lAgo8J:https://www.peacecorpswiki.org/Interview_Questions%3Ftitle%3DInterview_Questions%26oldid%3D27284+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I'm flying out to Guyana tomorrow! Feel free to add me to the OP (13-15).

Eat my dust America.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Times are changing, oldtimer. I'm not sure how much I can say but it's not going to be like that anymore. I'm pretty close to the planning for the new system at my post so I'll come in when we go live and explain a little more.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I think I can say that it's going to be a lot more specific then any of that. It's going to be modeled on the current PCRV application system.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Everyone's situation is different so it is hard to directly compare them, personally I'm glad I stuck it out because my group had a whopping 33% ET rate, not counting the people who didn't even make it to training, or who had to leave during it

Ours is TWICE this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

laxbro posted:

Great! A big part of PC is advocating for yourself when you get unlucky with your site/house/whatever placement.

This is not true everywhere. I've seen PCV's crucified for this.

• Locked thread