Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Hello everyone, new PCV here. I was sworn in about three weeks ago and have been working on site for two weeks. I live & work in the rural part of the country but my community is still well developed in relation to some of the other parts of the world that the PC serves. This is not what I had in mind when I started the application process one and a half years ago but I am happy to be here nonetheless!

grenada fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I am having so much trouble understanding the teachers and students at my work site. It is so embarrassing to ask a teacher to repeat themselves 3+ times when they can understand me perfectly.

grenada fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 28, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Do you mean in terms of growing a beard? I don't think anyone is going to judge you for growing a beard no matter what your country. I am definitely going to attempt a beard at some point during my service. I have never followed through with a full beard while back in the U.S. since it grows in kind of weird.

Maybe have your family send you some quality razor blades in a care package. I brought some mach 3 razor blades down with me and I very rarely ever cut myself. You should talk to your PCMO if it really bothers you so they can reassure you or provide some tips.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Probably not any of Africa, Middle East, or Caribbean. Maybe parts of Latin America and E. Europe but probably only in the big cities. Good chance for some Asian countries like Thailand, Nepal and maybe Philippines. All speculation though!

I think this is a good PR move by peace corps. This decision will be lauded by progressive supporters of peace corps and will offer no real downside. I doubt they will be able to place more than a handful of couples each year due to country/safety restrictions. I am sure the application process will take eons since it already takes 1.5+ years for a hetero couple.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

a distorted reality posted:

Graduating with a B.A. in August. Departing for Peru (is this considered Posh Corps?) in September as a community health volunteer. It's going to be a quick turnaround but certainly not a boring one.

As with almost all posts.. depends on if you get an urban, suburban or rural placement. The capital and other cities/towns will be ''posh''. However, I know a girl that lived in a mud hut with a host family during her PC service in Peru.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Email a recruiter!!

Agriculture is one of the fields where actual job experience can replace a bachelors so I imagine that you would be fine with associates degree plus farm work experience. But.. email a recruiter!!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

grenada fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 28, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

grenada fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 28, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Thanks for the response! I'm just passing the one year mark at site and I think all of the frustrations with my work site are coming to a head now. I agree with you somewhat in regards to corporal punishment at schools. The reality is that the students often get beaten way worse at home than they ever would at school. It is definitely a cultural mindset. The students beg me to beat their peers. They'll sometimes take off their belts and try to hand them to me!

I am still going to switch over to one-on-one tutoring with the lowest students at the school. I am a special education volunteer but am pretty much teaching unmotivated students right now. I would rather spend the last year of my service working with actual 'special education' students as well as helping the teachers understand basic special education practices. That along with after school activities would be very fulfilling and a great way to spend the last year of my service. I gave teaching the remedial program my best effort, on to other things.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

grenada fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 25, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Man, how much can change in a year! I was pretty frustrated the last time or two I posted in this thread. Luckily I advocated for myself and was able to change the direction of my service. Everything falls into place during the second year! 6 months to go!

I think PC response would be the way to go instead of extending for a year in a different country. The beauty of PC Response is you go in with your role defined. I'm also going to guess that PC placement is jammed right now with the closure and suspensions of a few big country programs.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I think it is important to advocate for yourself. Yea, be flexible and willing to go anywhere when dealing with HQ staff during recruitment. However, when talking with your APCD before or during PST you should let them know what kind of work you want to do. The country staff want to place you at a worksite where you will be successful. So feel free to be vocal about what you want to do, but totally be prepared to get a placement doing something totally different than what you hoped for. There are only so many slots and your country staff have to make do with what is available.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

It is true you will sometimes get plain unlucky and end up in a lovely situation. If that happens then you need to bug the hell out of your in country staff to try to get it fixed. Otherwise, some volunteers get awesome communities and work sites perfectly matched to their skills while others may not. Part of PC is making the best with what you got and trying to do what you can while growing from the experience. Also, you will almost definitely be bored all the time unless you get a rare urban placement or have lots of travel opportunities.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Slaan posted:

Once you realize that you are not the leader, you are the aide, things seem to get better.

Yep, having a great counter part who publicly leads the project but consults with you behind the scenes is pretty much the best way to go about a project. I think other people in my project respected this, and would come to me for advice or direction when my counterpart was absent.

That first year you should focus on your primary assignment, but start feeling out what the community needs. Find leaders within the worksite or community and start having conversations with them on the subject. Then, when you enter your second year you can be ready to go

My first grant was very rewarding, but wasn't necessarily what I was interested in doing as a secondary project as first. However, that was where there was a need in the community. I am lucky enough to have the chance to squeeze in another grant before my COS in 5 months which I find much more interesting. Just gotta keep up the communication with your counterparts and others in your community and the projects will flow.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
That's great guys. I applied under the old system and it took 1 year and 4 months from when I submitted my application to when I left for staging.

I guess there is a lot of pressure on you guys to get the medical stuff done in time for staging? I remember the medical office being super nitpicky about signatures. Had to visit the same doctor three times to get him to do signatures he had previously missed.

My COS conference is next month. Two years seems like such a long stretch of time when you first get in country, but it really does fly by.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea I remember being the talk of department at Johns Hopkins Hospital because no one had ever gone in and requested such an obscure vaccination. I think I made 4 or 5 visits overall (sometimes just dropping off the forms for the dr. to add a signature he had missed).

Luckily I had great insurance at the time so I spent more at FedEx Kinkos to fax the forms to PC HQ than I did on my medical visits & tests.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Most people back in the States won't know that Peace Corps lasts two years. It's also none of their business why you ET. All grad schools and any jobs outside of the international development field will be impressed with one year of service

Talk to your APCD, and report your feelings in your VRF. I reported in my VRF that my school was using me as a replacement teacher (which is against PC policy for my post) and he was at my school within a week to clarify the role of Peace Corps volunteers to the Principal. That helped, and I was able to focus on two secondary projects which at least made my service seem worthwhile.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

huhu posted:

Man, feels good to say, I'm getting a site change to the regional capital where I'll continue sector related work but not with my community. So much stress gone and really glad I was able to make the change.

Great! A big part of PC is advocating for yourself when you get unlucky with your site/house/whatever placement.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Nothing wrong with voluntourism, but I wouldn't compare it to the PC experience. And yeah, there are tons of NGO's operating in developing countries all over the world, but 99% of the time you'll be living in the capital.

Peace Corps gives you access to rural communities that are off the beaten path for tourists/development workers/diplomats etc.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Slaan posted:

I haven't been because most of the job I see show up on there are well below my pay grade. With a Masters, I should be getting a GS-7 or -9 at entry, but most of those are GS-5 or private non-profit positions which pay under 40,000 a year. I have student loans to pay. :(

Your chances of getting a job through USAJOBS is very small due to the veterans preference.

Apply to the PC NCE opening through avuecentral.

I cos'd one month ago and was hired as a GS9 by the first job I applied to off the PC job board. There are a ton of awesome jobs posted on there but you need to check it every single day.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

N. Senada posted:

My entire country, which is in the Caribbean, is getting consolidated because of some stupid hurricane. This sucks a whole, whole, whole lot. Any one have some words of wisdom to share about this bullshit?

I was in the Carib and got consolidated twice. Both were for small tropical storms that didn't come close. stormcarib.com is your friend. Checked it daily during hurricane season. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Thesaurus posted:

In other words: If you were in the Peace Corps BEFORE 2013, then you should only be paying 0.8% towards your pension. If you were in the PC between 2013 and 2014, then you should only be paying 3.1%. This is an issue for any RPCV hired by the feds after 2013.

Thanks! Going to email my HR rep tomorrow!

grenada fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 4, 2017

• Locked thread