Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Hope you Peace Corps vets are still around, I have a question! I applied back in April, was given prospective deployment to Ukraine in March with a latest "know by" date of September 1st. So essentially I'll know if I'm being invited or not in two weeks exactly.

Unfortunately I've just been offered two great AmeriCorps positions and need to confirm or deny my committment to one of them by then end of the week, and the other by Monday. I've been trying to get a hold of my PC placement officer to get some kind of idea of whether I'll be accepted or not, but she's been basically unreachable. I want to serve with the Peace Corps more than anything, but I also don't want to be stuck with no prospects in two weeks.

The last correspondence I've had with anyone at the Peace Corps was back in May when I conducted my interview and last month when I was mailed a fingerprint/criminal background check form, which gets sent out regardless of whether you've been invited or not.

What are my options from here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

CronoGamer posted:

It's a little lovely, but why don't you accept the AmeriCorps position and then if you hear back from Peace Corps immediately call AmeriCorps and let them know you can't do it? You wouldn't start the posting with them right away or anything would you?

I feel like that would really jeopardize my integrity and leave the organization in a tough spot, perhaps even unable to fill the position for the year. One starts sep. 6th and the other in mid October.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Welp looks like my fears were unfounded. I just got my invite today, I'll be deployed to Ukraine in March to work as a Community Youth Development Volunteer. This is a pretty incredible feeling

I had previously applied in the beginning of 2015 and received a prospective deployment notice to Jordan, but they withdrew all operations from the country following the crisis there and I lost my spot. Needless to say I've spent a lot of time telling people "no I'm not in yet" and "no I haven't received my invite yet" that it's a little hard to believe that that's actually not the case anymore.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

CronoGamer posted:

They did evacuate two years ago, but went back last year. I'd guess they're not in the East though.

Yeah they're placing volunteers primarily in the western and central areas of the country. Aside from some hot spots, much of the country is relatively stable.

Slaan posted:

So, uh, your packet say if you're learning Ukrainian or Russian? Or both?

Ukrainian will be the primary language I'll be learning but the packet I got specified I should expect to learn and use some Russian as well. I think something like 17% of the population is Russian. Luckily I had a Ukrainian and two Russians on my college swim team that I still keep in touch with and will be giving me some pointers on learning the languages. The Ukrainian happens to speak both languages... and Italian, Spanish and English. He's actually from Donetsk and his whole family fled the country when they were targeted by terrorists after Russia seized the Crimean Peninsula (his father is a well-known physician).

He's mentioned to me many times that he'll probably never return to Ukraine.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

metalloid posted:

so I've been thinking a lot about the peace corp lately.

it sounds like something that'd fit really well with my personality and goals and poo poo, but I'm bisexual. it seems I'd have to go back in the closet for two years at most of the sites. what's it like to serve as an LGBT PCV? I'm afraid that if i tell the recruiter i want to go to a place with a not-completely-terrible track record on LGBT rights I won't be placed.

From the Volunteer handbook:

quote:

LGBTQ Issues

The LGBTQ community has a long history of significant contributions to the Peace Corps Volunteer and staff communities. The Peace Corps does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression and seeks to reflect the rich diversity of America in its recruitment efforts, including the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community. In 2013, the Peace Corps began accepting applications from same-sex couples. As an agency, the Peace Corps intends to create open, inclusive, and accepting environments and encourages all Volunteers to serve as allies to their LGBTQ colleagues to create a safe environment. Many Peace Corps posts have Volunteer support groups such as diversity committees and peer support networks that offer a safe space for Volunteers to share experiences and seek support. Some Peace Corps staff have “safe zone” signs, indicating that they are comfortable discussing LGBTQ and other diversity issues with Volunteers. The Peace Corps also offers LGBTQ support training sessions designed for both Volunteers and staff. Many LGBTQ Volunteers have chosen to be discreet about their sexual orientation and/or gender identity within their host community. Some LGBTQ Volunteers have chosen to come out to community members, with a mix of positive and negative reactions, while some come out only to select Peace Corps staff and fellow Volunteers. Mindful of the cultural norms and country-specific laws, the decision to serve openly is left to each individual Peace Corps Volunteer. Peace Corps staff will work with Peace Corps Volunteers to provide them with locally informed perspectives, which may influence a Volunteer’s decision. For more information on the LGBTQ PCV experience and available resources please visit the LGBT Peace Corps Association https://www.lgbrpcv.org or email Spectrum (the Peace Corps’ LGBTQ employee resource group) at spectrum@peacecorps.gov.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

To answer your other question, yes having declined a previously offered position will be factored into any future applications you send through.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Tolkien minority posted:

Hi Everyone!

I'm a senior in college earning a Bachelors of Science in Psychology and Neuroscience, graduating this spring. For the past 2-3~ years I've kind of dreamed about joining the Peace Corps after I graduated, but now I feel like the time is approaching and I need to take steps to make this dream into a reality. So my question is, how can I best prepare to make myself a viable candidate using the year of school I have left? I've mostly been focusing on getting my mental and physical health in order, while maintaining a decent GPA. I don't really have any particular skills, although I have some volunteer experience, I also only speak english. I don't have great references, but I could scrounge up some. I'm currently unemployed besides being a student.

What should I do in the next 6-9~ months to improve my chances of getting in? I've thought about getting a TEFL certificate, but I don't know if that is a smart idea. Should I be volunteering more? Taking courses or certifications in something else? Trying to learn a new language?

I'm not set on any particular country or position and understand that as an unskilled volunteer with a generally useless degree I could be sent anywhere, but I'm sort of lost as to where I should start.

Would really appreciate any help!

All you need is one really good professional recommendation, the other is a close friend. You could just study on your own and mention in your application that you've been studying another language.

Definitely get volunteer experience in. You're committing to basically volunteer for 2 years, so try to fill the block on your resume from now until you submit your application (and beyond) with consistent volunteering at one or more locations. Working with diverse populations will help, everything Chocolate Chunk recommended is par for the course, but even Habitat for Humanity or the YMCA will do if you're short on options. Try to establish a rapport with the people you volunteer with. Peace Corps will be interested in what you've done in the past, and will use previous volunteer experience to gauge your level of commitment. Expect to be asked in your interview about skills and practices you've developed in your volunteer experience and how you will apply those to a service with the Peace Corps.

If you really don't have any work experience, consider maybe doing a year with AmeriCorps to start out with. You'll gain some valuable work experience, pad your resume and it's basically the same thing so you'll be preparing yourself for a more intensive service abroad.

As far as straight boosting your chances? Consider getting certified in CPR/First Aid. Study and practice conducting yourself in an interview. Spend a LOT of time writing and editing your aspiration statement to perfection. I spent about 3 months working on mine, carefully considering every word in every sentence, then had some writer friends proof read and edit. Being open to go anywhere is good and improves your chances. Also don't have DUI's or serious criminal offenses on your record. Don't lie about your criminal record. Don't lie about your criminal record. Don't lie about your criminal record.

Good luck.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

So uh, I was told I was under consideration for Ukraine a while back but they've never followed up on telling me when I will be interviewed or so on. How long am I supposed to wait?

I got my consideration email on May 9th, received another email directly after telling me I had new tasks in my portal to complete (relating to prior drug and alcohol use/expounding further on legal history) then I got an interview request on May 13th.

So maybe double check your portal and make sure all tasks are complete? There may have been new ones added, they like to do that. If not, I would call your placement office (number should be in consideration email).

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

So I was contacted today by the placement officer for Indonesia asking if I would be open to switching from Ukraine to help them meet their quota. I've been pretty dead set on Ukraine since receiving my invitation in August, and I've put a ton of hours into language training and studying history, but I figured exploring the option wouldn't be unreasonable. Especially considering the war with Russia and the separatists in the East could escalate at any time jeopardizing my service there.

Are there any RPCV's from Indonesia in this forum? If so, would you mind talking about your service a little bit and what your experience was like there?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Casual Encountess posted:

Whoa Indonesia is in play? I'm from there and I was super bummed out to know there wasn't any open positions when I applied in october

Well apparently they're in need of volunteers for the group leaving in March so if you haven't left yet you should consider giving the country desk/placement officer a call.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Yeah that's rough. If you're not too scrupulous I would wait until you're in country to report it. I bet the PC handles cases of like appendicitis among current volunteers all the time so I'm guessing this wouldn't be too disruptive to take care of in-country?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

So I'm about 9 days into PST right now and want to make the most of my service here. In addition to the stuff PC supplies, does anyone have any recommendations on literature for developing and sustaining Youth Development programs? Anything that has to do with organizing community participation in youth programs or preparing youth for the world of work would be greatly appreciated.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

N. Senada posted:

You're in Indonesia, right? I don't know anything about your training but here's my very well-intentioned if ultimately meaningless post:

I don't have any specific recommendations but my PM gave me a thumb drive with a ton of material covering a vast range of stuff. I don't know how she compiled it, but I think she got them from the Regional Director or something. Some tiles are: Youth Livelihoods & Financial Literacy; Working with Youth; Youth Development through English Practice; Youth Entrepreneurship.

Some of them deal with how to bring the community into the process. It is all Peace Corps documents tho and I suspect you might get them eventually in PST (but IDK anything about your training in Indonesia).

Also, congrats on making it through your first week and change of PST!

I opted to stick with my Ukraine posting!

Yeah we were given the thumb drive and recommended to check out Youth Development through English Practice and Youth Camps in Manua but thanks for the other recs, I'll check them out!

It was a difficult first week to be sure but also invigorating, everyone is incredibly motivated. I've never found myself among so many people with such passion for humanitarian work. If there are any other Youth Development Current or Returned PCVs I'd be interested to here about your service, the methods that worked for you and the ones that didn't.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Trump's proposed budget cuts include a $12 million cut to Peace Corps' total budget.

Just a few weeks ago, my facebook feed was filled with furious PCVs who've had to change plans or rebrand their camps following Trump's impromptu execution of Michelle Obama's Let Girls Learn Program.

Any thoughts from current or returned PCVs?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Thesaurus posted:

Kyrgyzstan and Ukraine sound too cold. also, no beaches ??

Before yesterday, it was in the 90's like all week here

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

Oh, fyi, I've posted in this thread in the past but I got an e-mail saying they had no position for me. So yes, you can actually be rejected if you're a skilless goon.

I got that one before after they evacuated my country of destination (Jordan) and now I'm serving. Do some volunteering, get some more civic engagement or education experience under your belt and apply again. They'll appreciate your dedication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

nurabsal posted:

Nice! Where did you serve?

SNI and myself are both currently serving in Ukraine. Feel free to PM with any questions.

• Locked thread