Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My wife and I are thinking about joining in a few years when we finish our Master's in Educations. I'm getting mine in Special Education and she's getting hers in Early Childhood (PreK-3rd Grade) Education. I'm a Resource teacher at a middle school right now dealing with Learning Disabilities, Autism and Emotional Disabilities, she'll have a year or so of teaching (probably preschool or Kinder) under her belt by the time we would be going.

A couple of questions:

First, what kind of placement would I be likely get applying for a Special Ed position? I would guess that it'd be more urban than rural, that rural schools would be more focused on setting up a school period than diagnosing and accommodating disabilities. But that's an assumption. We'd really prefer a relatively developed environment, especially in Eastern Europe, although of course we're flexible.

Second, I've been trying to read up to see what would happen if my wife happened to get pregnant while we were serving, but most of what I've been able to find has been related to single PCVs getting pregnant by a local or a PCV getting a local pregnant. If we're a married couple of 5-7 years (depending on when we go) and we're in a city, would my wife have to go back home?

We're attending an info session soon to talk to someone official, but I just wanted to get some opinions here, too. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Ok. I thought I read somewhere that an option for her would be medical separation from her duties but she could stay in country until my service was done. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's not accurate.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Iwate posted:

gently caress me, I am waisting my time.
Thanks.

Sorry, this is super nitpicky, and this may be too late. But please have someone else proofread them. Because you're wasting your time. No good spending 3 months revising them only to be left with a few spelling errors grammar check won't catch.

I'm a language arts teacher. It's in my blood.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well, my wife and I just finished our applications. Interesting little extra survey they have for people serving with their spouse about how you'll cope.

The hardest part for us will be that potentially we won't be together during the 3 months of Pre-Service Training. That would really suck.

Here's hoping!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My wife and I had our interviews over the last two days. Our recruiter told us we should get our nomination in the next few weeks!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Not that much harder than applying solo I think. You have to apply and be accepted as individuals. The big thing is it's recommended to apply 15 months ahead instead of 12, because they have to find a placement for both of you. We didn't quite get that timeline, but we both have Masters in Education, so it's not like they had to find a business and agriculture placement together or something.

Beyond the individual application, they have you answer a couple of essay questions on hinge like how you'll cope being in cramped quarters without any personal time, and also how you would cope being apart. You're guaranteed a placement together for the 24 month service, but not the 3 month training period. You email that to the recruiter and have a copy for yourself, and then there's a separate interview with you as a couple on top of your individual interviews where you discuss those things.

I cant speak to the difficulty of getting placed yet, again because we both have advanced degrees in their most demanded field and because we haven't gotten the notification yet.

That's all off the top of my head, if you want to know anything more specific just ask and I'll check back in.

Oh yeah, they specifically asked my wife if she would have a problem with all of her accomplishments being attributed to me, depending on the culture.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Argh, we're all set to get nominated except someone, either at PC or the post office, lost our fingerprint cards that were coming. Our recruiter mailed them out personally today, so hopefully we can have it resolved by next week and get nominated!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well, my application is now complete. My wife's is missing one reference, her friend's, who is a spacy actress. She might have to ask someone else. Hopefully we'll be sorted here pretty soon!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Ok, applications are now totally complete. If the recruiter was telling the truth about the timeline, we should have a nomination in a couple of weeks. Ahhhh so excited!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Gah, I'm debilitatingly afraid of needles, and I haven't had a single vaccine updated since I got the first ones when I was a kid. I have a feeling the next couple of months will hold some sad moments for me.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Recruiter finally got back to us and let us know we'll have a nomination by the end of the week!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well, finally got a nomination. My wife and I are nominated for Asia in August. Her for primary teacher training, and me for secondary school english teaching.

That's the only part I'm disappointed about. I have a Master's in Special Education, all my experience is at the primary and middle grades level, and in middle school I specialize in math. If I had to pick an area of education I feel not qualified for or interested in, it's high school English.

I may even have to get 30 hours of volunteer experience at this level just to qualify, which is just frustrating applying with a nM.Ed.

But, it's literally the only placement they could find for us in 2011. So for those of you curious about the couples application process, that's one drawback. Placement is apparently much more difficult thanIi even thought it would be. We got nominated outside of our preferred geographic areas, and one of us in a field only somewhat related to our areas of specialization, even with us both having advanced degrees in those areas.

Anyways, I'd rather go and teach high school English than not go, and I'll just have to create my own opportunities to do stuff I really enjoy.

Any advice for me at this stage of the process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
On the other hand, I stated preference for Rastern Europe or Central/South America, and got nominated for Asia. Bit I'm part of a couple, too, so that definitely factored in.

• Locked thread