Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Is anyone familiar with the Masters International program?

If yes, can you tell me more about it in general (including competitiveness), and more specifically what program/school you are doing.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

What is the money situation for PCVs? Pay?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Well I just got back from a Peace Corps info session on campus and I think I'm going to start the application process.

I feel like I am strong on everything they look for in a candidate besides volunteerism. I have done volunteer projects (for instance I'm currently the lead planner/coordinator for a week long multi-event cancer fundraiser) but I feel like they're looking for something more along the lines of tutoring at a local school. I guess I'll need to start looking into that.

I also have basic spanish (3 semesters, college) and basic french (3 years, HS) that I could easily brush up on. I'm aiming for Africa > Latin America > Central Asia but that's just preference. I'd be super fine with going anywhere and doing anything. I assume I'll be teaching English because I only have a poli. sci degree.

I'm starting the process probably tomorrow. I am already about halfway through the Foreign Service entry process (I've passed the FSOT, I'm waiting on my QEP results) and my ultimate goal is the Foreign Service. I'm assuming I will know about the FS before I have to accept an invitation to the Peace Corps. I'd probably have to turn down the PC if I got a job offer from the FS just because it's an actual job, but I do know that about 30% of current FSOs are former PCVs so if anyone knows if there's any kind of special deferral mechanism (as in finish your PC obligation and then move on to the FS), that'd be great to know about as they generally have only about an 18 month period before your offer is withdrawn.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Can anyone give me any idea how much past alcohol related convictions effect your chances? If you need more info you can PM me.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

Can anyone give me any idea how much past alcohol related convictions effect your chances? If you need more info you can PM me.

Ok. A few years ago I was charged with Careless and Imprudent Driving with a BAC (basically a step down from DUI and in fact I was only charged because I was under the age of 21) but the charges were dropped and I was only "convicted" of Improper Use of Turn Signal.

There's a section on the application where I have to attach a document explaining everything. It's very vague on what I need to attach so I have a few questions:

1) What do I need to attach?
2) Should I just contact the local recruiter?
3) Does this change my competitiveness at all? I.e. Is it no big deal in the grand scheme of things or does it basically tank me and make it nigh impossible to get an invitation?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Set up a meeting with the local recruiter to discuss my application. I'm not going to suit up like it's an interview (although this is also the guy doing the interview, so I'm going to try and prep a bit for questions similar to that) but I will dress well. Should be fun.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Talked to the local recruiter and he said I should be fine. Forget to ask him if I can use an my boss at my internship as my work rec letter.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Well I've finished my application except for the essays. I also need to finalize my three references. I really hope this pans out.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

It's like camping, but you get to help people!

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Webcam or phone interview? Take a few shots first, preferably Hot drat. There's no way anything can go wrong then.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I have no experience as I'm just an applicant, but I would imagine that the fistfights will be the biggest yellow light.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I really gotta turn in my application. My only problem is my apartment lease runs until Aug 2011 but it sounds like that's perfect timing.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I guess I really should finally finish this drat application.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I've been wondering about this and I'm sure the answer is pretty straight forward (as in: Just say it like that) but here goes:

I know you have a better chance of getting an invite if you tell them you don't care where you go to volunteer. This is true for me, I'd much rather do Peace Corps anywhere than nowhere. I wouldn't deny any invitation as far as I can foresee.

However, I would prefer to volunteer either in Africa or East Asia. I would like that to be taken into account, but I don't want them to say "Well we have a spot open in X country but that's not in his preferred region. Let's go with the next candidate."

What's the best way to get that across?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

That's what I figured but I wanted to make sure. I assumed that it was probably fairly rare when people say "I have no care where I go." and probably even more rare when people say "If you don't send me to Kinshasa I quit."

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Shjade posted:

I have my interview for the PC coming up next week. What sort of questions do they ask? I figured it's going to be a lot different that a normal job interview and wanted to be prepared.

I haven't done the interview yet, but legend has it that these are generally the questions asked verbatim:

http://www.peacecorpswiki.com/Interview_Questions

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Did you specifically request Kenya? Africa? Or did you just ask for anywhere?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Pieter de Hooch posted:

Current PCT/V checking in. I swear-in in about 12 hours. If anyone has any questions about PC Kenya or teaching Secondary Science, I can answer them until Thursday afternoon and then I fall off the grid. I'll be going to Maua and teaching Physics and Chemistry.

To everyone in the application process, hang in there and good luck.

Good luck. Kenya is one of the locations I'd really like to go (My ideal is Rwanda/Uganda followed by all other S/E Africa).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Grimson posted:

Well the bit you quoted was from the Council of Conservative Citizens, which is not a reputable news source anyway.

The reason they grouped Africa and Haiti together is because your source is the CofCC (as I'm quoting here).

Just so we're clear about who you are using as a source here, the CofCC is the renamed "White Citizen's Councils" of the 1960s and are listed as a white nationalist/supremacist group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/groups/council-of-conservative-citizens

So no, this isn't "terrible journalism." It's a press release from the Klan.

• Locked thread