Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Stoner Boner posted:

I have been nominated for a spot in Sub Saharan Africa, and assuming all goes well with the medical check, I'll be leaving in June. I know it varies wildly but anyone who has been volunteering could throw in their 2 cents.

How do the people in town feel about you bringing western technology? I have a nice travel bag I have taken many trips with and is in great condition. I want to bring it with me but don't want to seem like a prick. I also want to bring my ipod because 27 months without my own music could drive me insane. Could I bring a solar charger and how do you think they might react?

How difficult have you found it to acclimate to their food?

How often do you run into other PCVs abroad?

Do you know anyone who extended it to the 3rd year?

Do you typically develop friendships with a few nice people and others don't want anything to do with you. I know this varies, but in your own experience how open have the communities been. Also maybe say how big the site you were in was population wise. Thanks!

Depends where in Africa... If it happens to be Rwanda I can help you somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CronoGamer posted:

What really got me about this, and what I found jarring every time I was able to step back and look at it from a non-PC perspective, was how incredibly comfortable the GIRLS were talking about their poo poo. Like they would openly talk to anyone in earshot about color, texture, consistency, frequency.... just so utterly bizarre in a typical "girl" context.

This applies somewhat to just serving overseas...

I'm not in the PC, but with State, and well, yeah. I don't know what I have but, there will be a week or two of nothing but the runs, followed by the reverse. Not bad enough yet to go to a hospital (not in my country) to have it looked at.

I also came down with a sudden 104 fever in 30 minutes. I seriously went from being fine and chipper to chills where I walked down to the med unit just shaking. Two malaria tests came back negative, and the fever broke after 24 hours.

I'm still enjoying the Mefloquine dreams however.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

FYI, the Brussels' airport has a train nearby that you can take into the city center. I was on a 24 hour layover and did that on my way to Rwanda (working for State, not PC).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Full Battle Rattle posted:

if you've ever served in the peace corps it can disqualify you from obtaining a security clearance.
This is wrong...

Also, there's PC staff with security clearances.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

a distorted reality posted:

Graduating with a B.A. in August. Departing for Peru (is this considered Posh Corps?) in September as a community health volunteer. It's going to be a quick turnaround but certainly not a boring one.

Not sure if it's posh or not, but I loved the food in Peru.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Slaan posted:

I actually did that for the first week or so of training, too. Malaria drugs are basically :pcgaming::catdrugs: until you are used to them.

Yeah, those pills do odd things. I stopped taking mine.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CronoGamer posted:

Mine never hosed me up while awake, but they gave me some pretty amazing dreams for several months running. But yeah-- I think of the 25 people who COSed with me, maybe 5 at most had consistently taken their meds the whole time through. The rest of us had to take additional pills to counteract the possibility of having gotten asymptomatic malaria that was lurking in our livers.

Well yeah, it wasn't the day time that was the issue, it was the loving awesome/crazy/vivid/horrible dreams that were the problem.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Pocket DeSade posted:

I know in Ukraine, some volunteers always seemed to have friends in FS.

I talked to some PCV's from Turkmenistan and they said they would have holiday events with the embassy (Thankgiving football games, FS vs PCV's)

As with many things in the FS, "it depends".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Red Crown posted:

I was going to pull the trigger on my application today when I just happened to find out that not only does the Peace Corps disallow people in or close to the intelligence community, the intelligence community also disallows people from the Peace Corps. Supposedly the government is so concerned with the image of the Peace Corps that they're willing to pass on people who might have gained language skills and foreign area expertise. Can anyone verify this?

You can still work for pretty much the entire Foreign Service cadre of agencies.

• Locked thread