Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Mu Cow posted:

Edit: Moon Slayer, I just noticed in the OP that you said there are no goons in the MI program. I've just started the MI program at the University of Denver, so you should probably update that.

I may be applying for the MI program at University of Washington soon. Do you know if MI applicants to the peace corp end up serving different roles than normal applicants?

Basically, if I did the MI program I would prefer working in an administrative setting of some sort while serving rather than alone in a hut somewhere (not that working in the boonies doesn't appeal to me, I just want to utilize the masters degree to its fullest.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I recently found out that I have TB (It's very WTF.) I'm currently treating it and it will be resolved just after I apply this summer, but does anyone know if that might effect my application?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SlantedTruth posted:

I'd love to add my name to the list of goon volunteers. I also, like Mu Cow, offer my help/advice on anyone interested in the MI program.

PCV Environment Malawi (2010-2012)
Masters International Texas Tech University
(Master of Agriculture)

I'm CoSing end of April.
I had a loving fantastic experience, my site mate (Masters International, Monterey Institute) had an awful one.

Now, I'm going to catch up on this thread!

What sort of projects were you both working on and what were the differences between your sites?

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 3, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hi everyone!

I'm departing with my wife this summer as a PCMI (not sure where yet.) The school I attend has a huge RPCV and MI population and this semester I've found myself working on a project with two other RPCVs. We're working on creating a training module that could be incorporated into the 3 month in-country training session that everyone goes through.

The module would be designed to create "asset inventories" of the in-country volunteers that would be built by the incoming cohorts, and then shared and used throughout a volunteer's service. Right now, PC volunteers working in-country usually have very little knowledge about the skills and backgrounds of the cohort they come into the country with.

Aaanyhow. Right now we're in the very beginning stages of this project and we're looking for some information from incoming volunteers and RPCVs. We've put together a short open-ended survey and we're passing it around. if anyone in this thread is interested in contributing your input to our project the survey can be taken here.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 3, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Slaan posted:

This is a really cool idea. I have no doubt several of us will take your survey. Good luck with doing this and your service soon! If you are leaving in June you might be going to Benin. (Its a cool Hot place to be).

e: The questions it is taking me to after putting in current volunteer seem to be for departing volunteers. Are there different questions for each of the types (RPCV, PCV, departing) or the same list of questions?

Thanks! Our earliest leave by date is July 1st, so unfortunately it won't be Benin =(

Also, we have different questions for RPCVs and for people who haven't left yet, but not for people in service. We didn't draft any unique questions for them because our primary resource for information is here on campus.

Thanks for pointing out that it's going to the departing volunteer questions, I had meant for that option to take people to the RPCV side :3:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Stuntcat posted:

Sorry, can you tell us a little more what the survey is for? I'm nosy...and also lazy.

Sure!

So that's my post on the other page introducing my reasoning behind the survey, but basically I'm doing some graduate work this semester with two RPCV's to design a training module that could be used during the 3-month in-country training that volunteers get. We're trying to put together a short module where volunteers would create and share "asset inventories" (basically professional, unique, and specialized skillsets)with each other.

These inventories could then be used by volunteers at their sites to identify other volunteers in the country who might be able to help them with issues that their specific communities are facing.

We're also thinking about ways to generalize the module so that it could be run by volunteers with their host communities, but that step is a ways off.

So yeah, the survey is just our first step in designing this thing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My wife and I just got our invitation to serve. Hooray!

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 3, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Slaan posted:

Congratulations! What field will you be working in?

Hug your A/C Big Macs car toilet goodbye :ohdear:

We're both going in as Master's International candidates and we'll be working in the Community Economic Development sector.

Also, yeah. Just the thought of that makes me appreciate my poops here a little more.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

Do you guys not have to live with host families when you get to your sites? In the Dominican Republic it's been 3 months (after finishing 10 weeks of training), but they just upped it to FOUR months for the new group. Apparently Washington wanted them to make it 6+ but they bargained them down. It's for security reasons, I'm told, as the robbery/theft situation here is said to be worse than most other countries.

I know some countries have mandatory host families for all 27 months. That would suck (but I'm married, so maybe it'd be better for single volunteers).

Also: let no spider live, under any circumstances, in your house or next to it. I have a machete exclusively for that purpose (and the cockroaches). Let the lizards have the bugs. I also unload probably a full can of bug poison into my house every two weeks.

we're living with a host family our full two years. At least we're supposed to. Living with a host family has its ups and downs. For my wife and I, I can definitely say the lack of privacy has been a huge downer.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 3, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Slaan posted:

Salud! Raise a pailita/calabaza of chaparo to all your fellow Goons and crazies volunteers worldwide. Happy Holidays!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

There's a girl in our group who is highly allergic to carrots, apples, and nuts and fairly allergic to animals and dust(?). PC put her up in her own house (in my country everyone lives with a host family) and placed her in a town with a clinic that was equipped to deal with allergic reactions. She does just fine.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Posh Corps X-Treme.

Yeah well...we might have a latrine, but we've got high-speed internet!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

heliotroph posted:

I used to have to walk a mile out of my town and stand on top of a hill in a cow pasture in a 2x2 foot area to get to get 2 bars of cellphone reception...if it was windy it wouldn't work, and I dropped calls about 2-10 minutes in on average. You guys are in a different world.

yeah. One of the other volunteers here has to hang his cellphone in a sock off of a very specific tree branch in order to get reception from another country - then he can make international calls to the main office. I've got no idea how he figured this out.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 3, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

javacup1107 posted:

My understanding (from conversations with my CD and RPCVs from other countries) is that this is no longer possible. Two examples: a guy from group before me who served in Lesotho and wanted to extend for 1 year in my country, but they made him serve another full 2 years. The second is a girl who started her west African extension, was evacuated, and instead of having 1 more year in my country they also made her serve another full 2 years. Both regret the decision.

So I'd say look at PC Response instead of trying to extend in another country. IF you go directly into PC Response following normal service, it basically acts like an extension now (so your NCE is on hold, etc). I just had my COS conference so picked up that new fun tidbit!

agreed. with PC response you can also do a run-around and reach out directly to a small organization in a country you want to serve and work with them to write your own job description for a PC response position.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Slaan posted:

Peace Corps and Masters work goes together hand in hand- though, I would say its best to do the PC before you get your Masters. My cohort of 60 some people had about 8 or 9 guys, mostly MBAs and MPHs, in our year. They all enjoyed the Peace Corps in general, and said that it was a good thing to go through. But they also said that it wasted their talents, and I confirm that I felt the same way a bit. You get out of school with tons of knowledge of how to analyze data, produce surveys, crunch numbers, etc and get placed in the middle of an area without electricity and told to give out bed nets. Yeah, its mostly impossible to use most of your knowledge, because survey techniques require educated folk to talk to and number crunching relies on modern software. Its worse for the nurses that came in, because they aren't allowed to practice medicine in their villages, either. This is quite possibly more of a West Africa or Benin thing, though. More advanced nations most likely have a far better ability for you to use what you learn.

That isn't to say you shouldn't apply- especially under the new system where you can pick what you are up to, as some nations look precisely for a Masters-level education. One of my friends who worked in Mexico was working with PhDs on designing new ecotourism green design stuff using his MPA. Just be prepared to lose some of your knowledge from lack of immediate use. I would still urge you to apply. Its a great formative experience personally, and employers love seeing it on your resume. Plus, you meet the coolest, most interesting people in the world; I've not met anybody else as awesome as RPCVs.

So, apply for jobs and apply for the Peace Corps. If you get a cool job, take the job. If you don't find anything particularly interesting, join the Peace Corps. Worst case its not for you and you leave after a few months, potentially knowing a new language and a new county.

I won't disagree about the more general point on wasted/underutilized skill sets. I agree completely with that. However, I've at least been able to put my surveying and number crunching skills to good use my community. The national census is really terrible, out of date, and nobody knows how to get ahold of that data. We did a house-by-house survey of our community our first two months and I don't think a month has gone by since without the results of that survey being put into use for one thing or another. I also got a cool dataset to play around with and do network analysis on for shits and giggles.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 16, 2015

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, Peace Corps Washington and recruitment folks are very friendly to LGBT folks. YMMV when you get to post though, including your reception from some host-country national Peace Corps staff members. Many communities are very conservative where volunteers work. In the country I served, the LGBT folks chose to keep their orientations from their community members. For one of my fellow volunteers this triggered a lot of trauma. Others had no issue as they had access to the local queer communities and could spend time away from work with LGBT community members.

I also know the guy who's running the LGBT outreach initiatives for Peace Corps. He's been going around the world in the past few years identifying and training select countries for accepting same-sex couple volunteers. Feel free to PM me if you want me to put you in contact with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://opensignal.com/networks/liberia/cellcom-coverage

https://opensignal.com/networks/liberia/lonestar-cell-coverage

Interviewers and recruiters like to prepare volunteers for their most isolated sites, because those volunteers might get placed there. Access to internet often isn't as bad as it might be made out to be. Even if it is though, there's always a portable hard drive you can load up with poo poo...or you know doing whatever the gently caress the locals do, which is way better than anything you'd get from the internet.

That being said, coverage DOES look pretty sparse from those maps!

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 30, 2016

• Locked thread