Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time
PCV from the Kyrgyz Republic (Kyrgyzstan) checking in.

I'm TEFL (English teacher) in a village outside Jalalabad in the south of Kyrgyzstan. I came to country in March of this year so I'll be here 09-11 (K-17). My blog is here. I've been updating it about every three weeks or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time
Of course I've had sheep head and lots of other sheep meals. The sentiments toward the USSR seem to quite similar here as in Kazahkstan, though I haven't had as indepth conversations with people about it as you have. My village is much less posh than your situation however. My first winter is coming up. We'll see how that goes.

I chipped my tooth during PST with rocks in food. No fun.

lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time
I'm in Kyrgyzstan in a village outside Jalalabad City.

This is my school. I've been to a couple secondary schools in both the North and South. This seems to be a pretty typical classroom. I teach ages 12-17.

Here is the road up into my village. This is last November or maybe December.

My house on the right. For a village volunteer I have a pretty decent set up. I get my water from a well and I have an outhouse like normal, but I have a nice living space - a kitchen and two rooms to myself. I technically live with a host family, but they live in the city and only come out on some weekends.

lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time

Grammar Fascist posted:

For any (R)PCVs that have to file taxes this year, I just found this spreadsheet (.xls) to figure out taxable allowances. Last year it took until the end of February for our admin officer in-country to get this info to us, and then it was in a really confusing booklet. Hope it's helpful to you guys, too.

This is a big help, thanks. Our tax sheet just said something like: There's more you have to do. Go figure it out.

lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time

quote:

I am pleased to announce that I am increasing the readjustment allowance provided to Volunteers on April 1, 2010. As of that date, the readjustment allowance will increase to $275 per month, an increase of $50 per month. This increase means that Volunteers completing a full 27-month tour will receive $7,425.

The "as of that date" makes it seem like it's not retroactive. We'll get the extra $50 a month from now. Awesome for new volunteers; less cool for those already serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucky garnett
Oct 14, 2003

Swing Time

T-Rex Money posted:

Has anyone else dealt with being medically separated? After being officially separated on Friday, I just returned home a few hours ago. I'm dealing with a lot of stress from medsep alone.

To make things worse, I just found out that peace corps only pays to ship ONE box of my belongings back, weighing less than 100 pounds. What is going to happen to the rest of my stuff? I don't know. I have a guitar and camera equipment just sitting down in the office, along with clothing and a few other personal belongings.

When I left for my host country, we were allowed to bring 130 pounds worth of baggage. When I was medically evacuated, I only brought enough clothes to last a week... had I known I would not be returning I would have brought more things with me. I am afraid they're going to ship everything back to me and then take the fee out of my re-adjustment allowance (of which they are already taking $400 USD for a table that broke from regular use in my apartment).

What the hell do I do?

My region got evacuated. They had me make a list of things I wanted shipped. My stuff is at PC office now and apparently giving everything away that I asked to be shipped to me. I guess there's no policy for shipping things to "interrupted service."

edit: My region was closed so I'm IS. Other regions are still open. The whole country wasn't evacuated so I guess the evac shipping policy doesn't apply.

lucky garnett fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 25, 2010

• Locked thread