Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Moon Slayer posted:

I got something completely wrong, or if I just sound like an idiot, let me know and I will do my best to fix it.

I don't care how many lols you've got for it, Kampuchea 1 is SO vastly superior to Kampuchea 2- admit it. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Also, may make sense to link back to the original thread if people feel like poring over that big mess.

edit: also, I disagree pretty strongly with "Chances are you will not make a significant difference in anyone’s life during your service". You don't know what kind of impact you've had or will have had over your two years. While I may not have saved the world, or even my village, over the course of my two years, I am quite confident that I had a lasting, serious impact on the lives of a lot of people there- just as they did on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
But you'll also be thrilled and have an amazing time many, many times throughout your service. It's a rollercoaster ride, sure, but in my experience the ups were higher than the lows were low.

Peace Corps isn't an easy experience but I don't think it's fair to dump a lot of negative energy into this topic; it's fair to warn potential PCVs of the difficulties but I think it's a little much to say "Rest assured you WILL be depressed many, many times".

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I didn't get the rectal exam on my medical. The doctor didn't wanna do it and i didn't want him to so it was just checked off, I think. But I know a lot of the other PCVs in my group were furious to hear that because they had to suffer a finger up the butt. Never really did determine if it's necessary or not, actually.

And the intel thing is cut-and-dry: if you've worked in Intel, you're outta luck. Sorry. They have enough trouble convincing locals that we're not spies to begin with, even with all the distance from the intel community. Peace Corps to intel, however, is a little different- you have to wait a period of 5 years after working for PC before you can take an intel job (at least the CIA and the DIA- I believe it applies to military as well).

edit: Huh. Just read the pdf up a few posts. My understanding was that non-CIA intel was off-limits too, from talking to friends in USMC intel. Maybe that's not the case. Interesting.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Aggro Craig posted:

I had one of those, as did about half the PCVs in my group. My physician told me she was just checking to make sure my rear end could handle potential violent diarrhea or what-have-you (and boy did I have it for the first two months.)

Hahaha, what? How on earth does a finger (or two?) up the butt check if you can handle violent diarrhea? At least it was a woman :pervert:

quote:

They must periodically search for blogs because mine is up there without me putting it on.

Yeah, I think they periodically just google for it, though they don't actually check them at all. Mine is up there and I didn't update a single time in-country- my last post was at staging, which cracks me up because then it looks like my plane crashed or something.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Either you've got a harsh son of a bitch for a CD, or you've got some dumb PCVs in your country. I can't imagine anyone writing something in their blog that'd get them kicked out. All of them in Cambodia are "rats ate my underwear again" "i hate biking in monsoons" "coconuts are delicious as hell" kind of one-off postings, with the VERY rare "i hate how much the kids cheat here" post you'll get once in a while. But they warned us up and down to watch out what we put on the internet, be careful, like a dozen different times they talked about what we could and could not talk about and gave us printouts of the appropriate sections of the PCV handbook.

From talking to other RPCV friends and reading the stories from other posters here I'm beginning to see how very differently every post is run, it's kind of interesting.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I'm pretty sure finger up butt tests are to check your prostate (or possibly for nasty hemorrhoids).

I got selected as an alternate for USMC OCS in October and after some soul-searching I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the military isn't what I want to do, so it's probably for the best that I won't be going. I started applications for a Fulbright (Bosnia teaching assistantship) and the Peace Corps. I speak Russian and Bulgarian with intermediate fluency (low 3 or so on the US gov't scale) and have previous English teaching experience in Eastern Europe, so is it likely I'll be sent to a place like Ukraine or Bulgaria? I wouldn't mind going to the Middle East or Central Asia, either, but I'd prefer not to go to Sub-Saharan Africa, the Far East, or Latin America.

When you meet with your recruiter for the interview, you can specify to them that you'd prefer not being stationed in any of those areas, or that you'd like to be in the areas listed. It won't help your application, since all it does is limit the number of positions open to you, but I don't think it hurts it otherwise. And if they ignore your requests and just end up placing you elsewhere, you're more than free to tell them you'd prefer not to go there. They'll put your application back in the pile, but I've heard it's pretty difficult to nigh-impossible to get a placement after you've turned one down (unless you had very good, specific reason for doing so).

Still, with your familiarity with not only Eastern European and Central Asian culture/language but also teaching out there, I don't know why they wouldn't consider it. It could work out nicely for you, who knows.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Phlairdon posted:

As a recent college grad, this has been something I've been interested in participating in lately, especially considering the crap job market, and the desire to uproot myself and do something meaningful with my life. Now in my research in what they look for in possible volunteers, I have not seen anything to suggest that they might be interested in someone with two art degrees.

How particular are they about volunteers having certain skills in order to qualify? Is there any role that I may be able to fulfill with my art experience, such as possibly working as an educator, etc..., or would they rather have someone with more specific qualities?

One of my good friends from my group was a dual major in Art and Biology. I guess he was good at drawing leaves and muscles and stuff, I don't know. Anyway, he was a great volunteer and made it in fine. Though he had done Americorps first... but regardless, you don't NEED to have been an English major, or an ESL tutor, or anything like that to qualify. It certainly helps your application, but it's not required.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Moon Slayer posted:

I just came in to Phnom Penh and have access to the internet again, so I'll get that OP updated in a bit. Right after my appointment with the dermatologist to try and figure out why I've got mysterious open sores forming on my arms. Peace Corps is fun!

EDIT: Turns out it was just me infecting my insect bites with my filthy fingernails.

You guys certainly thought that, and made sure we knew it too. Which is why we were specifically instructed last month to "be much better to the K3's than the K1's were to you." She was probably talking about a certain Korean, though.

Well come on. Look at all the allstars we had in our group. You never had anyone in Group 2 to watch battlestar with in PP, did you? I saw James watched it recently, but I imagine you didn't watch with him, or else he'd have posted a page long note about it and probably uploaded 3 or 4 useless 15 second video clips of it onto facebook. Amazing reply to his latest, by the way.

How are the health volunteers working out? Is there a lot of crossover between the TEFL and the health vols, or do they stick to themselves or what? And are you still looking into JET?

As for the topic at large, it's amazing how many RPCVs you meet when you get back. I had NO IDEA so many people had done peace corps- it's like being part of some special club or fraternity of some kind that had previously been a mystery to you, some kinda Masonic poo poo. Really cool to have that instant connection to so many interesting people at work and such.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

hakeem posted:

Does knowing a foreign language play a large role in determining where you will be sent to? If I'm semi-fluent in Spanish does that make it very likely that I'll end up in a Spanish speaking country?

Also, I'm graduating soon with a computer science degree, and have had several IT related jobs - if I apply wanting to do some sort of IT type work, can I be guaranteed that I'll be doing that before I commit? My concern is that I'll sign up hoping to do something related to IT and end up teaching English.

1) No. We had some fluent spanish speakers in our group sent to Cambodia. In order to go to Latin America, I've been told that you have to be fluent in Spanish. However, being fluent in spanish doesn't mean you have to be sent to Latin America. Our group in Cambodia had Chinese speakers, Spanish speakers, Russian speakers (i think), and French speakers, but they were all sent to a country where they weren't using that language.

2) Sure. You'll be told the project you'll be assigned to when you're given the country assignment, at which point you can just say 'thanks but no thanks' and walk away.

Moon Slayer posted:

In Cambodia you either sleep with a prostitute or get married. There are no alternatives as far as relationships with the locals go.

For straight men, sure. But that's not necessarily true for women, or for gay men. Aren't there one or two girls in your group who have boyfriends from cambo?

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 19, 2009

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Zombie Kohlhaas posted:

Hey, we also had rice with rocks in it, so it wasn't complete Posh Corps. ;)

Jesus christ, the rocks in the rice, how I despised those.

Those + the bones in Cambodian chicken (they smash up the bone and make sure to include a piece of bone in every chunk of meat because they think it adds flavor) have made me such a wary eater... COS was 7 months ago and I still get nervous.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Moon Slayer posted:

God drat you to hell.

Although, there's a new phone/sim card combo on the market here in Cambodia where you can pay $.70 a day for unlimited internet and hook your laptop up to the phone and use it as a modem. I'm probably going to buy it after I get paid on the first.

Oh, you mother fuckers.
:argh:

How's Kandal working out anyhow? Any better than Svay Rieng?

quote:

Also, how important is building a relationship with your recruiter before going through the application/interview process? Is it essential or recommended, or would it not make any difference at all?

I met my recruiter exactly once before my interview, at a recruiting fair where she roped me in to the whole thing. I would have loved to have built a relationship with her, because she was absolutely beautiful and that probably had a lot to do with how she tricked talked me into applying, but we didn't really talk much. Before the interview, during, and then maybe 2 or 3 five minute phone calls afterwards. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, and it could help you learn a lot more about the app process and what you have to prepare for/look forward to, but ultimately you don't need it.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Evil Adam posted:

Basically, it isn't fair to tell someone they will or won't help people. There are a ton of factors involved, and a ton of them you have no control over.

I agree with this entirely. But in the first post and first few replies it really seemed like you guys were saying that they won't help people. I'm certainly not saying you're guaranteed to be given the chance to change people's lives, some sites are just unfortunate like that, but you very often do get the chance- at least on a smaller scale.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Rush Limbaugh #1! posted:

I think our views are actually pretty similar, it's just that the way the thread starts seems to overemphasize bitterness and frustration - which are of course a big part of Peace Corps, but I think the positive things volunteers can do far outweigh those.

This was my concern too, and why I tried to hop in so early with a counterpoint. Frustration definitely has its place in any frank discussion about the Peace Corps, and it's always fun to bash on the negative aspects because that's what PCVs do together, but I think it's inappropriate for a thread where potential PCVs are reading to try and find things out about the program. They should definitely be made aware of the possibility for extreme frustration, but it shouldn't be hammered into them from the get-go with little to no discussion of the other, incredibly rewarding aspects of service.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Several of the people in my group had either just finished a stint in Americorps or went on to take a position with Americorps after finishing. I think there's a decent amount of overlap between the two.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Evil Adam posted:

Masters program in Conflict Resolution at Georgetown.

SUP FELLOW HOYA :v: I went for undergrad, though.

Omits-Bagels posted:

I have a question: What did you all go into after your PC service? If you're still in/applying, what do you plan on doing?

Right now (literally) I'm procrastinating on my essays for a Fulbright application to South Korea for next year. I'm also looking at the JET program in Japan. Depending on which I get into, doing that for two years, then coming back to get an MA in IR or possibly an MBA.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

You should probably get going on the Fulbright stuff since it's, uh, due at midnight today. I'm applying for a teaching Fulbright to Bulgaria.

I just submitted my Peace Corps application a few days ago, it's my backup if I don't get the Fulbright.

Haha, yeah. I'm aware. I was just writing my personal statement last night. Submitting everything right now. I'm looking at ETA as well, if that wasn't obvious.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Are you applying through a school or at-large? I graduated in May so I could have gone through my school as they'll sponsor you for a year after, but I had planned/been selected to go to Marine OCS before getting hurt and deciding it wasn't what I wanted to do, so I was kind of scrambling and missed my campus deadline. Luckily my mother works at a study abroad office at another school and they have a Fulbright adviser so I had someone to look over my stuff, and I have a buddy doing it in Germany right now and he sent me his essays. I think I would have been lost on them if I hadn't.

Ha. Interesting. I looked at doing USMC's OCS back when I was in college, too.

Nah, I'm applying at-large. I've been out of school for 3.5 years (just finished my Peace Corps stint 6 months ago) so there was no way I'd be doing it through an institution. Created a huge hassle for me with transcript requests, actually, but I think I've about ironed it out.

I didn't have anyone to look over my things with me, but a friend's sister just finished the ETA program in Korea which I'm looking at so I called her up and we chatted about the applications and essays for a bit, got some ideas from that. I'm not really worried, I think I've got a great resume for something like the ETA, but just gotta make sure everything gets in on time- still waiting on 2 of my hard-copy references to come in, which is a real nail-biter this close to the 21st, haha..

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Happy Birthday, Moon Slayer!

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Evil Adam posted:

Oh, and did they tell you that it does not apply to Peace Corps?

What? Sure it does. That was one of the big things they promoted at the Career event seminar I went to back in May.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Evil Adam posted:

This is what I was told.

But to make sure we're talking about the same thing, let me clarify. Yes, PCVs get NCE. But the Peace Corps, as an agency, does not use NCE in their hiring process.

I could be wrong, but it's what we were told.

Yeah, I thought that's what you were saying. Unless I *horribly* misinterpreted everything they told us over 1.5 of the 4 days I was at the RPCV Career Seminar that they had at headquarters (strongly recommended for people who get back and don't really know what they're doing), NCE does indeed factor in for PC hiring. One of the Returned Volunteer Services guys was actually trying to recruit me at the end of the week and I'm pretty sure that was one of his selling points.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

1. I have a degree in English Literature. Were I to join the Peace Corps, would I be forced into teaching English somewhere? What is teaching English like when you have very little or no knowledge of the native language? I would have no idea where to begin, and I have some elementary school teaching experience. Honestly I think I'd really rather be doing manual labor somewhere.

Just wanted to add to what Moon Slayer said- You can be sent over as an English Teacher but still find ways to do that manual labor on the side. Secondary projects are an absolutely huge part of many volunteers' lives, and they are as varied as you can imagine. I think MS's group in Cambodia built a house with Habitat for Humanity, some guys in my group made gardens at their schools, one guy constructed all the furniture for the library he managed to get built... and that's not even taking into account any additional work you can do to help out in your village. It was absolutely hilarious to my host family when the big goofy white guy wanted to go out and help harvest rice. I wasn't terribly good at it (I think they must've shown me how to tie the sheaves 20 times and I still didn't get it) but they still appreciated it and had a really good time.

quote:

3. How stringent are their physical requirements? I smoke cigarettes and marijuana (though I don't expect to be able to smoke weed abroad, just wondering if they test for that), and while I am in healthy shape in general I don't think I could do a 5 mile run right now.

Echoing "do NOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT mention weed at any point to anyone on the PC staff". You can get sent home if there is even a RUMOR that you're using drugs- they don't need evidence, because a rumor is enough to 'damage the reputation of PC in the host country". I'll also say that the one thing I know holds up lots of people every year in the medical process is being overweight. If you have a BMI above a (surprisingly low) level, they'll send you a bunch of extra forms that you need signed by the doc. I managed to snake in just below the BMI limit, but I know a few people who were encouraged to lose weight before going out there.

Other than that, yeah, it's the typical "if you aren't on death's doorstep we'll take you" kind of thing you'd expect.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Well, it's been a week since you said you'd use your brand new everyday fancypants Nokia damned johnny-come-lately mobile internet access (am i getting my bitterness across enough?) to change it... I think he was just hoping to make sure you hadn't forgotten. Don't think there's a need to get touchy about it or anything.

Maybe Rush Limbaugh #1! could write the edited section, or a counterpoint for you to put in before/after the part you wrote, and you could just edit it in there?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Haha. Rather than have that be the very first interaction you have with a bunch of people at your post, though, I would burn a bunch of porn before hand, THEN sell/distribute it to them once you know people. Most will love it but there will be the oddballs that don't take kindly to such things and will think you're a 'pervert' or some bullshit.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Nice. I think that's a fair way to put it, pretty balanced.

Headed to PP for the festival? Or staying the hell away from that clusterfuck? Any actual plans? Any Halloween stuff going on with K2 and K3?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I'd guess they're just bad search results. There's a CHANCE your idea about coordinating for the South Pacific is true... are they based in Okinawa, or somewhere else with strong American gov't presence (can't even really think of where that would be...)?

Any chance of cut-and-pasting the job description/responsibilities here? If we knew what kind of admin job it was it might be possible to figure out if they'd be put in Japan.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Yeah, I don't know why that's turning up in Japan searches. Program and Training Officer is an in-country position, it's sort of like a general supervisor for a lot of the work the volunteers are doing at their posts. They work in the main office in the country so that they can deal with the volunteers and all the other program staff in the country office, you can't really run something like that from a position out-of-country like Japan.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Only thing you can do is make sure that medical check gets through ASAP, get all the forms in and everything, and then badger your placement desk. Send them an email letting them know how excited you are to get going and how you're free to go as soon as they need you.

Unfortunately, I'd guess you won't have much luck. I don't think they have too many posts in the South Pacific, and they're probably got their staging/PST schedules pretty set in stone. Unless you feel like switching to a different region or different assignment, you'll probably have to wait until September or thereabouts.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I don't blame you at all. Pacific was my first choice, I settled for East Asia (although ultimately I was very happy with that). If you're happy with Pacific you should definitely stick to it and just try to get another job or some experience in the meantime.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Some schools combine junior high (7th and 8th) with standard high school (9-12) and just call 7-12 "high school". That's how I took 6 years of Latin (ha!) in high school, at least.

Pieter de Hooch posted:

Also I am graduating from my university in a week with a BS in Geology and I don't know what to do in between now and November/the decision from the placement officer. My recruiter suggested that I tutor or teach as much as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I have tried to apply for short term geological internships, but I had no success.

Please tell me what to do with my life. Thanks.

When my recruiter told me to get some more experience teaching or tutoring, I went to all of the elementary schools and high schools in my area and applied to be a substitute teacher. Took a while, but I ended up getting a good number of hours. However, when PC contacted me later to check up on my progress, it seemed more that they were just interested in whether I'd been making any sort of effort or not and when they heard I had gotten a few hours subbing that was enough, I got a call for my official nomination 2 days later.

Just try to get cleared to sub at a few schools, and tell them you're hoping to fill in for science classes. Really it's more about getting up in front of classes of any kind, though.

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 8, 2009

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Aggro Craig posted:

Yeah, with no official authority it's unfortunate how little VAC can directly impact. We do have a few IT volunteers that are helping develop our sharepoint site to make sharing resources much easier, and that's also a project I hope to be working on soon. Our health committee did a ton of work with a classroom art project for world AIDS day, working with other posts from Africa and Central America.

VAC wasn't bad in Cambodia. Things may have changed like Moon Slayer said, and maybe they don't meet anymore, but when I was in it, the committee met every three months, and we raised the issues that the majority of PCVs were bitching about. I think the fact that we were the first group in the country and that the post was just starting up and trying to get all of the kinks ironed out meant there was a lot more room for improvement so we were able to help guide it a bit. For example, early on, sometimes Peace Corps personnel would just roll up randomly to our houses to drop in for a quick site visit or to check up on any issues we might have raised in quarterly reports or what have you... made lots of volunteers nervous, partly because it got our host families jittery (because they always thought they should be providing lunch or a snack or whatever for the visitors), partly because it made the volunteers nervous because we didn't know when they'd be coming and we'd want to be prepared, and if you were off on a bike ride 20km away you'd feel like a fool if you got a call and the PTO or whoever was calling you up asking where you were (not to mention when people were slipping away from site undercover for a night to head into town to get internet access or to buy some western items or meet another PCV or whatever).

So, we raised the issue with VAC, and it took a little while to finally get things in motion, but we made a rule that staff had to inform volunteers 24 hours ahead of time before any visits to "give the family time to prepare" or whatever. Worked out pretty nicely. There were at least 3 or 4 other rules/requests I can think of that we got put together (got them to install storage lockers for us in the volunteer resource room, hammered out some vacation policies, etc.) so I would definitely call it a worthwhile group for us.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
There was a married couple in my group who had only been married 6 months before they got stationed, if that's a rule it's definitely not a hard and fast one.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

doo doo thief posted:

From looking over this thread it seems the general consensus is that the Peace Corps fails to perform any kind of aid or development mission and really is just a waste of government money and volunteer time unless you are looking to learn a useless language, pad a grad school app, or marry a Cambodian villager.

If that is the case why then have any of you bothered to serve if you aren't doing anything beneficial or substantially gaining from it yourselves? Did you honestly not know what you were getting into when you signed up? Or did you really want to spend two years in a jungle just to boost your grad school applications?

I don't know if it's an internet demographic thing but I feel pretty strongly that there is a lot of cynicism and pessimism coming from this topic. The PCorps is not as worthless as people are making it out. Yes, it's got its flaws, and the "business" model so to speak could be altered to make it more efficient, but I feel like the people griping about it may have more personal beef with the program. I'm happy with what I accomplished in my village. Could I have taught English to more people? Probably. But I think teaching it to the ones I did, making that connection to them, and teaching them a little about the world outside their borders was a contribution of which I could be proud.

People who were unsuccessful at their sites will often find it easier to blame the program for not providing enough support to volunteers or what have you than to accept the blame for having been unable to affect change in their village by themselves.

USAID is a different story and I don't know enough about the mechanics of the operation but it is easy to see the US personnel driving around in their jeeps and eating at Western restaurants and to get a bad impression of that. However, you've got to realize that not everyone wants to/is willing to rough it for a period of years in the host country the way PCVs do. If you want to attract these people with graduate degrees and lots of experience in development, you'll have to make it comfortable for them to work in these countries. Sure, in an ideal world they'd all accept a pittance of a salary and everything would go into the programs they were fostering throughout the country, but guess what fellas, it ain't an ideal world.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

melaneyelia posted:

Hooray we get a raise!

Oh man that extra $1400 USD for readjustment is looking pretty tasty.

$1400? Oh, you motherfuckers, is that just for EC or worldwide?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Moon Slayer posted:

I used to know what it was in Khmer because one of the first things I had to tell my permanent host family when I got to their house was "the door to my room is supposed to have a doorknob on it."

Don't ask me to tell you what it is now though. Three months out of Cambodia and I've pretty much forgotten everything I picked up.

Don't worry, I did the full service and don't know it and I asked other K1s and they don't either. Nick Kristoff's test is just retarded.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

reddeh posted:

Africa is home to the best medical situations you can ever hope to find yourself in... In my little over a year there, I managed to contract (in no particular order):

Giardia x2
Amoebas
Upper respiratory infection (which turned into)
Sinus Infection from Hell (104+ fever)
Malaria

Hahaha. Awwww, a whole 2 cases of giardia AND a case of amoebas?

Starting about a month after swear-in, I got 4 cases of amoebic dysentery inside 6 weeks which led my intestines to say "gently caress you, and gently caress THIS" and stop working. I was actually medically 'anorexic' for a period of a week or so because my body wouldn't digest or take in nutrients from the food I was eating- it was just on the express track and running right out through my system in half an hour or less. I was eventually diagnosed with Tropical Sprue, a condition which only affects one in one MILLION people... and I was that lucky person.

Fortunately, I guess because I got such poo poo luck in that regard, I managed to avoid the Dengue Fever that more than half my group got, and none of us got malaria.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Moon Slayer posted:

Also, anyone thinking about joining Peace Corps should know that after your two month training, you will be perfectly comfortable discussing your gastro-intestinal problems in graphic detail with other PCV's over a meal.

What really got me about this, and what I found jarring every time I was able to step back and look at it from a non-PC perspective, was how incredibly comfortable the GIRLS were talking about their poo poo. Like they would openly talk to anyone in earshot about color, texture, consistency, frequency.... just so utterly bizarre in a typical "girl" context.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

internetstuff posted:

Also, where are people getting this information about the increase in money from $6,000 to $7,000+? I googled the phrase but didn't find anything but this thread.

Thanks!

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.media.press.view&news_id=1549

"Director Williams detailed Peace Corps’ strategic recruitment campaign and how the agency is focusing on ways to better support Peace Corps volunteers by scaling the benefits of service to more accurately reflect cost of living increases. In support of that goal, Director Williams announced that, effective April 1, 2010, the Peace Corps readjustment allowance that volunteers receive upon returning home from service will increase to $275 per every month the volunteer served. With this $50 per month increase from current levels, volunteers who complete a full 27-month tour will receive $7,425 to help in the readjustment period when they return to the United States. "

Enjoy it. You bastards.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

internetstuff posted:

I'm glad you asked that, because I've been thinking it. The idea of 2 years without any kind of sexual activity is scary.

There are other volunteers thinking the same thing.

Other volunteers of the opposite sex.

You'll find a way.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Sprayers are nice, although not everyone gets a sprayer and has to make do with washing using a scooper and water. Sometimes you prefer TP, sometimes not, but you get used to it.

Bucket showers can be FANTASTIC. When it's hot season and you get off of 4 hours teaching in the middle of the blistering heat and you go back and just dump a bucket of cold water over your head and down your back it's glorious. Waking up in the morning and showering with frigid buckets of water can be pretty miserable, though, and the contortions you've got to go through to properly wash hard-to-reach spots while still pouring the water evenly are just ridiculous.

Overall they're annoying but you grow accustomed to them and sometimes will even miss them when you get back to your convenience and luxury back in the states. Kinda like a lot of things in your host country, haha.

Didn't see your second post before submitting-

Pocket DeSade posted:

But what are the inherent weaknesses of bucket-bathing? This is one thing I'm sort of interested in, because I get rather greasy looking if I even go a day without showering.

You can't do your lathering under the stream of water like you would in the shower- you've got to get wet, then pick up the shampoo, lather up, rinse off (and repeat if desired), then pick up the soap, lather up, and rinse off. Sometimes easier to do it limb-by-limb, I guess, but you'll figure out your own style.

Basically the only weaknesses I can think of are only being able to use one hand to rinse off, and just how COLD it is when the water hits the spot between your shoulderblades.

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 22, 2010

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Everything I've heard indicates that med sep is a really tough loving process. Sorry to hear it man.

Depending on how remote your site was, maybe you could ask another PCV you're friends with to go through your poo poo and separate the things you do/don't want shipped home? PC will probably just crate up everything and send it back regardless of whether you want it so maybe to save on excess poo poo you could have a friend throw out the crap you can leave behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
If it's a webcam, he doesn't even need to wear pants, forget Chacos or Tevas.

• Locked thread