Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have been nominated for a spot in Sub Saharan Africa, and assuming all goes well with the medical check, I'll be leaving in June. I know it varies wildly but anyone who has been volunteering could throw in their 2 cents.

How do the people in town feel about you bringing western technology? I have a nice travel bag I have taken many trips with and is in great condition. I want to bring it with me but don't want to seem like a prick. I also want to bring my ipod because 27 months without my own music could drive me insane. Could I bring a solar charger and how do you think they might react?

How difficult have you found it to acclimate to their food?

How often do you run into other PCVs abroad?

Do you know anyone who extended it to the 3rd year?

Do you typically develop friendships with a few nice people and others don't want anything to do with you. I know this varies, but in your own experience how open have the communities been. Also maybe say how big the site you were in was population wise. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can more people post pictures of their villages or surrounding area and living arrangements?

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thank you all for posting your pictures. I am supposed to leave in June and am getting more excited by the day :)

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

T-Rex Money posted:

Thankfully it's not "try again." it's "please wait longer."

This makes me happy. I was at dinner with my mom the other night and she said, "Is there a plan B?" I sat there for a while and was like....poo poo, no? Now I realize I can just keep working until I leave. But she said she gave me a great recommendation, so hopefully I won't have to.

Oh, and did you go to the same location you were originally nominated for?

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just got my second package from the peace corps that wanted more information about some stuff I believed was clear in the first place. I am getting discouraged now, and I've been jumping through hoops for a long, long time. How many pieces can they possibly ask for?

Also, on another note, they need to embrace the internet and just e-mail me these forms instead of me waiting for them for 5 days from FedEx.

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Moon Slayer posted:

Well, not to be a jerk to someone I don't know, but what exactly was she expecting when she joined the Peace Corps?

I don't think you're out of line, this is the exact thought I had. They're pretty upfront with conditions in the field, get over it or don't expect it to be a full service, not many other options.

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

internetstuff posted:

Whats up people!
I got my invitation packet today. I'm going to Kazakhstan to teach Secondary english on August 18. Anyone else going??

I'm going to Kazakhstan for youth development, what ever role that may take on the same day! Just got my packet last Thursday and now I'm working through all the paper work here. See you in August :)

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

internetstuff posted:

the paperwork is not actually as bad as it seems at first blush. Definitely do the passport stuff online and print it.

Well poo poo, I don't know why you recommended this, but I already didn't do that. I had the DS-82 though, so I got to send it all in one fed ex.

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

internetstuff posted:

Stoner - Have you learned anything definitive about language during Pre-Service Training? Do we get training in BOTH Russian AND Kazakh?

As I understand it, we will be taught Russian because it is the language most business happens in there. Kazakh is spoken but it's not by the majority, so though we may encounter it it wouldn't be as useful as Russian.

Stoner Boner fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 28, 2010

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Iwate posted:

I got my medical packet a few days ago. I feared what was inside, but after looking through all of it, it seems really easy. Almost too easy.

I have/had nothing wrong with me ever, no allergies or anything. Provided I get all the paperwork in that they sent me (A physical, dental and eye), will there be more?
Like I said, it seems almost too easy, and I am nominated for subsahara Africa, which I would think is a place requiring more than a physical.

However, if this is all I have to do, then that is awesome.

I have never broke a bone, never had a cavity, and my medical paperwork has still been the most pain staking process thus far. I mentioned that I got stuffed up twice a year from seasonal allergies, they needed a doctor to say it was mild. I said I had a little surgery and had to visit my doctor 4-5 times just to get paperwork signed off saying I was healthy.

Bottom line, if you check "yes" on a box, be prepared to have a doctor say what the condition is, what the extent of the symptoms are, what you treat it with, do you need any further assistance with the condition yadda, yadda.

And to the person up there asking about community development I was nominated for community development and I have a bachelors of social welfare.

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Strunk posted:

Although I've desperately been trying to avoid it, the Peace Corp may be a necessity to jump-start my career at this point. I'm interested in non-profit management coordination and I have degrees in Sustainable Development and Spanish. You might think this would make me a shoo-in for a number of positions, but this is proving not to be the case.

In terms of medical, how much of a red flag would it raise that I've broken my hand on three different occasions in fist fights?

You might think about the fact that you described it as "unable to avoid", while others view it as "unable to miss".

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Evil Adam posted:

In my experience, very few couples made it through the 2 years or even tried. Most went on a sort of break (I don't know if they got back together though). I think I only know one girl who made it all two years and went back and lives with her boyfriend now. As for me, I broke up with my girlfriend at the airport (it was short term anyway and she knew I was leaving soon) and then started dating another volunteer shortly after we arrived. It would've worked out better if she wasn't batshit crazy.

The volunteer or your original ex?

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just posting from my hotel room at staging to say thanks everyone for their time in this thread. When I'm an official PCV I'll do what I can to repay the favor on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just got back from Kazakhstan, as a Kaz-22. Our program was suspended for a number of reasons, but publicly due to a rise in sexual assaults against volunteers. And other safety issues.

Has anyone been evacuated? I feel so out of place back home and I would really love to be in my little village again...

• Locked thread