Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

hey y'all

I'm UC for a secondary science education position in Guinea and my interview is a week. I'm trying to cram in research but I can't find any active posts since the ebola stuff in 2014. I'm dying laughing though looking at the PC reddit and reading all these cute little 22 year olds who are going to solve the HIV problem in Africa and totally ~*change the world*~. I like to think i'm coming to this with the right mentality because my mom was in PC in the 60's/70's as an OB/GYN and delivered babies in Vietnam/Cambodia, and actually met my dad through it. I used to spend summers in rural Indonesia where my father is from so I'm absolutely game for making GBS threads in holes and boiling all my water and hanging out in the Third World. Right now i'm more worried about having to teach upper level math and physics in a language I don't speak at all but everybody tells me they teach you what you need to know at PST.

What's the education role like? I'm kind of blindsided by this because my degree is in plastics engineering, but that was 10 years ago and I'm currently in school for community development/urban planning and was shooting for youth development in Morocco. I'm ~*flexible*~ obviously but I don't really have any formal education training. I've run open shops and lectures for the bike-centric non-profit I work for but I've never had a long term curriculum to teach. Do they encourage you to bring materials and labs, or are you just kind of wingin' it?

also should I bring my macbook if I end up going, or should I get something shittier? I'm not sure if Guinea is like SE Asia where everything is humid 24/7 and I'm sure the closest Apple Store is going to be in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Whoa Indonesia is in play? I'm from there and I was super bummed out to know there wasn't any open positions when I applied in october

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Welp, I'm officially a Guinea invitee, departing on July 5th.

hot drat

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

make that July 1st

pumped.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005