Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
Yeah, I'm an RPCV, at this point. My blog, which updated sporadically at best, is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I'm pretty sure finger up butt tests are to check your prostate (or possibly for nasty hemorrhoids).

I got selected as an alternate for USMC OCS in October and after some soul-searching I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the military isn't what I want to do, so it's probably for the best that I won't be going. I started applications for a Fulbright (Bosnia teaching assistantship) and the Peace Corps. I speak Russian and Bulgarian with intermediate fluency (low 3 or so on the US gov't scale) and have previous English teaching experience in Eastern Europe, so is it likely I'll be sent to a place like Ukraine or Bulgaria? I wouldn't mind going to the Middle East or Central Asia, either, but I'd prefer not to go to Sub-Saharan Africa, the Far East, or Latin America.

Къде учеш Български език? Работиш/Живееш ли там? Ако да, къде работиш/живееш? Аз бях в Дупница.

Also, if you want to avoid those areas, just make it clear during the interview that you want to go somewhere cold. Anywhere that qualifies as "cold" is either Central Asia or Eastern Europe, and speaking Russian in any of those regions will help you out. If you end up in Macedonia, your Bulgarian will help out, too (but you already knew that). Really, as long as you play it up as more of a climatic preference, rather than a cultural/linguistic one, they'll be very accommodating. However, the fact that you have some experience with Russian/Bulgarian already may lead them to nudge you that way to begin with.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
The thing about that is that they give you sufficient to make sure that you are not at starvation wages, in the case that said wages are the local standard. From my experience, it's sufficient and, if you're careful, you can even afford a few splurges (in-country).

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
Relationships with locals were pretty common in Bulgaria. I can think of at least three in my group who are ending up marrying locals and a couple others extended because they were dating locals. Inter-Volunteer relationships were VERY common. Again, I can think of 4 or 5 Volunteer couples from the B21s alone, and there were a few inter-Group relationships going on as well.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

Rush Limbaugh #1! posted:

Missed the new thread. You can add me to the OP, I'm RPCV Bulgaria '06-08 / PCV China '08-10.

'Sup there, Bulgaria-buddy? Whereabouts were you stationed? B18, B19 or B20?

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
Just as an addendum, I believe that for the CIA, there's a 10-year moratorium, as opposed to the standard 4 (though I thought it was 5 years, not 4).

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
Re: diseases, in Bulgaria it seemed like a lot of people got TB. I was diagnosed at my COS medical exam, which was kind of irritating, to put it mildly.

Re: sex - hook-ups seem to be fairly common between PCVs, and depending on the country, dating locals is pretty common as well. That 90% figure is more or less spot-on.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

Riven posted:

Well, my wife and I just finished our applications. Interesting little extra survey they have for people serving with their spouse about how you'll cope.

The hardest part for us will be that potentially we won't be together during the 3 months of Pre-Service Training. That would really suck.

Here's hoping!

Most likely you won't be with the same host family. However, they'll still put you in the same training site. You just won't be "together" per se until after PST.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

If any RPCVs from Bulgaria read this, could you tell me where you were there? I'm a current Fulbrighter in Bulgaria (Blagoevgrad), and a number of the other Fulbright Fellows here are teaching at schools where they have had PCVs in the past.

Браво на теб! Бях в Дупница, около 30км север на Благоевград. Кой регион/град е твой любимец? Били ли си до морето, все още? Или до 7те езера?

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

Мерси! Аз само дойдох 3.5 седмеци преди; бях в Благоевград за седмеца, Банско за дбе, и сега в Варна съм, така че аз на морето съм. Аз харесвам Благоевград, и Варна е много хубаво също.

Приятел ми ще бъде Fulbright учител в Стара Загора, и беше PCV в училището преди няколко години. Какво е вашето любимо място в България? Имам една година тук и искам да видя колкото се може. Учих българский език в университет, но това е моят първи път тук.

Ами... Много ми харесвам 7те Рилски Езера и Рилският Манастир. Те са много хубави. Но, харесвам Пловдив също. Има история и интересна архитектура. Велико Търново е като това. (В 31 Октомври, обикновено има купон там по Доброволци и приятели.)

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also my medical forms were not complete enough. Really hope this doesn't mess me up but im not leaving till march and seems pretty minor.

As long as you get it taken care of in short order, it shouldn't effect your application at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

Krasnaya posted:

I'm very interested in going to somewhere in Eastern Europe, ideally a country that has Russian as one of its languages. I'm going to graduate in May 2013 with a Bachelors in Linguistics and Russian Lang/Lit. Do you think this'd make me more likely to be a competitive candidate for being an English teacher in Eastern Europe? I also don't know if a Linguistics degree would be on the same level as an English degree, as far as qualification for being a teacher goes.

As far as volunteer work, I currently volunteer at least 8 hours a month for a rape crisis center--I spend most of my time talking to women and men who have been abused, raped, molested, and giving them resources specific to their situations...would this experience reflect positively if I tried to get a position possibly relating to healthcare or youth projects?

I also did a lot of volunteer work in high school. It was mostly volunteering at a special needs school, and tutoring 12-14 year olds with mild learning disabilities in math, science, social studies, and English. Should I mention this volunteer work on my applications or is it kinda outdated? Most of that volunteer service happened in 2004-2009.

Sorry I have so many questions! I just went to an information session about the Peace Corps today at my University, and I'm just very eager :)

Oh also--I currently take antidepressants (wellbutrin) but I don't plan on doing this for the rest of my life, and ideally I will stop taking them once I have worked myself up to a better place. I was very depressed in 2010 because my father had died and my mother was losing our house, which finally got foreclosed on, and then I transferred to a new college in August of 2010, and my Mom becoming homeless and having absolutely no money at all, etc...so I really can't blame myself for needing the antidepressants and they've helped me a lot. Should I even mention them to my recruitment officer? I really don't think I'd need them while overseas, but I'm worried if I mention them at all he'll instantly write me off as unstable and not want to give me a nomination in the future.

High-five, Linguistics Buddy! I ended up doing TEFL in Bulgaria; my linguistics degree was definitely a selling point for TEFL. One of the B21s with me had a Russian background, actually, and was a phenomenal Volunteer. A lot of older Bulgarians speak fluent Russian, so that'll help.

If you want Eastern Europe, you're better off saying that you'd prefer a colder climate. On the other hand, you might get sent to Mongolia or Romania, neither of which uses Russian as the official language (hell, Romanian isn't even Slavic). Moldova might be another option. Really, you just have to push for where you want to go while still maintaining an outward demeanor of flexibility.

Your volunteer experience will definitely help, though by the time you graduate, they might want something a bit more recent.

With regards to your meds, like others have said: if you disclose, it'll be a hassle. You'll need to have medical professionals go on-record saying that you're not at risk. On the other hand, I know some RPCVs who were in the Beach Corps (Caribbean region) that were on meds the whole time. It's really a question of access to adequate medical care. Central Asia might be out of the question, but considering how quickly they can airlift you to Germany from Eastern Europe, you're probably ok.

Again, just be aware that when/if you disclose, there will be a lot of extra legwork and paperwork involved.

Good luck!

• Locked thread