Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag
I have some questions about the application process.

I was recently nominated to serve in Sub Saharan Africa in November to teach science. I just got my medical kit and assuming I submit it by the end of January, when do you think I'll hear back from them? My recruiter said the position is pretty competitive, but what is the general acceptance rate for this type of program?

Also I am graduating from my university in a week with a BS in Geology and I don't know what to do in between now and November/the decision from the placement officer. My recruiter suggested that I tutor or teach as much as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I have tried to apply for short term geological internships, but I had no success.

Please tell me what to do with my life. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag
My application status was updated today. Next to Medical it says "Complete. A decision has been reached regarding your medical review. Please look for a letter in the mail."

I haven't received the letter yet, but is that good or bad? It doesn't sound like it's a good thing. :smith:

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag
I'll be leaving for Kenya next Tuesday to teach Secondary Science. Any current PCV's or RPCV's have any general advice?

Also, I'd be happy to answer any questions about the current application process.

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag

Miss Fats posted:

Did you specifically request Kenya? Africa? Or did you just ask for anywhere?

Going into my interview I knew that I wanted to teach secondary science, but I was indifferent to where. The program was available in either Africa or China and I told my recruiter that I wanted any available assignment that fit a certain departure date. After the interview, I was nominated for Sub-Saharan Africa and rest was determined by the Placement Office.

I guess if I wanted, I could have specifically requested China, West Africa, or Sub-Saharan Africa, but I am happy with my placement. Aside from the region and the program, I don't think you can specifically request which country you would to be assigned to.

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag
Current PCT/V checking in. I swear-in in about 12 hours. If anyone has any questions about PC Kenya or teaching Secondary Science, I can answer them until Thursday afternoon and then I fall off the grid. I'll be going to Maua and teaching Physics and Chemistry.

To everyone in the application process, hang in there and good luck.

Pieter de Hooch fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 14, 2010

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag
I think don't this has been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wDq17zyN0

Currently in service and I find this hilarious. Of course, it represents the extremes, but I think every PCV (with a strong enough internet connection) and RPCV can relate.

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, this is only their third year there. They were one of the first PC programs, running until the Communists took power in 1978, then another program from 1995-1999 until political instability shut it down again.

Congrats and welcome to East Africa :hfive:. Hit me up if you ever want to come down to Kenya or if you have questions about the region. Ethiopia is on my travel itinerary, maybe we'll see each other in the future?

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag

AceSnyp3r posted:

I've still got a couple years of school before my B.S. degree, but this thread is pretty interesting to read. I'll be getting my degree in Geology or Geophysics (haven't decided which, yet), and I'm curious if I could use that for some kind of tangentially-related work in the Peace Corps.

I also have a BS in geology and I am serving as a high school math and science teacher in Kenya. I teach Math, Physics, Health, and Geography, the Kenyan equivalent of earth science.

I applied to the Peace Corps with the intention of teaching, so I don't know much about alternatives. If you take some kind of groundwater hydrology or aqueous geochemistry class though, I imagine you might have a strong enough background to work in water sanitation. However, you could also use your geological background in secondary projects based on the needs the or your community. I live in an agrarian society and they still have much to learn about soil conversation and effective farming techniques.

Aside from that, I wasn't too sure of how I was going to use my degree either when I was applying. I don't think any of this was too helpful, but talk to your recruiter and good luck.

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag

Moon Slayer posted:

Updated the OP. If you see something that needs to be changed, let me know. I'm too lazy to go digging through the thread, although I'll probably start changing the 2011's to RPCV's.

Kenya 2010-2012 here.

Stoner Boner posted:

I just got back from Kazakhstan, as a Kaz-22. Our program was suspended for a number of reasons, but publicly due to a rise in sexual assaults against volunteers. And other safety issues.

Has anyone been evacuated? I feel so out of place back home and I would really love to be in my little village again...

Sorry, or as we say in Kenya, pole. We're having our own drama here with Al-Shabaab and a potential second round of political violence. I'm terrified of going back early and I can only imagine how you feel.

Slaan posted:

Oh, I know. This is just the third 'extra explanation' letter they've sent me, and I've starting to get fatigued. And since I'm doing Master's International, I have to leave June/July at the latest. All my other colleagues have gotten their placements already.

Any of your colleagues coming my way? We'll get a group of Public Health volunteers around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag

laxbro posted:

For those of you that are attached to schools, how do your/the students treat you? The general student body at my school is fairly respectful but my actual students have been driving my crazy. Corporal punishment is widely used in the school system and I think my students are beginning to confuse my refusal to beat them with my belt with weakness. Some of the students are starting to cross boundaries and it is driving me nuts. I teach remedial math and English to struggling 12-15 year olds at a rural secondary school in the Caribbean. My class size varies from 7-14 though I have trimmed down the largest class a bit. No real interaction with my counterpart on actual day to day activities anymore.

I have a Masters degree in Special Education and had two very successful years of teaching in an inner city high school before this. I think I was naive to think I could translate my teaching skills from the US to Peace Corps. My plan is to stop teaching the remedial classes and just focus on 1-on-1 work with the lowest students as well as spend more time on after school clubs.

Just wanted to vent and hear some other perspectives and experiences!

Let it go. I taught at a rural Kenyan high school where I lived on the compound too and I know exactly what you are going through. Pick the fights you know you can win. Either ignore all minor issues or hand them over to another staff member. Respect comes with time and it's not worth the stress trying to force it out of the students.

I'm sure this will start a debate, but I'm not strongly opposed to corporal punishment. Of course there are varying levels or severity from belt whipping, as you mentioned, to a slap on the palms, but if you want to create change in your school, I think you have to look at the issue outside the western perspective. Since they day they were born, my students were told that if they did something wrong, they would be beaten. This is even true for adults in the village. You can find managers beating insubordinate employees, husbands beating their wives, and shopkeepers beating petty thieves. Corporal punishment is "normal" in their lives. Punishing your students using any other method would not be acknowledging their wrongdoing. I know that by deferring difficult students to other teachers, I was still perpetuating the idea of corporal punishment, but from this my students knew that they were guilty and more importantly, that I did not want to beat them.

It's messed up how violence is used to motivate and control people, but as volunteer, you can't be completely dismissive of this especially if you are first getting to site. I, and I think many other people other people here, believe that change occurs gradually. Imposing polar views would only make your counterparts resent you. You don't have to accept corporal punishment, but you can't fight your fellow members/students tooth and nail about it every time is brought up. (I'm not accusing you of doing, I'm just saying in general) I found leading by example the most fruitful method to counteract corporal punishment. After about 6-8 months, I finally took initiative with discipline at my site. All students found misbehaving would be forced in read for an hour in the library after school, essentially detention. I can tell you with 100% certainty that they all hated it and wished they were caned. For the students that didn't read and just sat there, I think it had to do something with being forced to think about their actions, it made them respect my authority. I reported this disciplinary success to my counterparts during the next staff meeting and we actually started an intelligent discussion on the effectiveness of corporal punishment. The debate didn't go very far, but it got them to at least acknowledge and alternative. Baby steps...

If you have anymore questions, feel free to pm me.

Edit:
This is all just my opinion from my experience.

Pieter de Hooch fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 4, 2014

• Locked thread