Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i know who that is

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

butter go home!

leon likes to pull my damp towel down and lay on/under it

sundae lives in her cat carrier now

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

They look a bit big for kittens. Teens, adults?

Frank is a little over two years old and Mac is just over a year old.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

was looking through old photos and lol

Love spread toes

Also butter pleas ego home

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The extremely rare three warms

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

took my parent’s weird cat Cosmo out for a while today.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Frozen Peach posted:

:prepop: oh wow

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Frozen Peach posted:

How long did that last before the bopping started?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Frozen Peach posted:

yoooooooo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

George is extra hairy today

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

PokeJoe posted:

:eyepop:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Frozen Peach posted:

lmaooooooo

God Luna got such a glow up growing up from a tiny scrunkle.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

PokeJoe posted:

brush him u monster

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

George looks so dazed and sleepy :3

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I brush him daily

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sleepy David

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I hear this is the place for cat face?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Megabound posted:

I hear this is the place for cat face?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Exodor posted:

Thank you for the advice and warm thoughts.

I've been walking the neighborhood in the evenings and early morning since internet advice says that's when cats are most active. Our neighborhood is kind of a large square with a bunch of huge backyards all back-to-back. I think it's pretty likely she's hunkered down somewhere back there and I would never see her. Two of our three neighbors are very helpful and on the lookout for her. The other neighbor seems like a shut-in but they have a dog they let into their backyard so I doubt Butter is hiding back there. Another issue with trying to find her by walking the neighborhood is that she's 12 and when she was inside she slept for about 22 hours a day. The chances of my stumbling on her during the rare times she's active are pretty low.

the most useful tool i got was a solar/battery powered security camera with motion detection and local storage for captured video clips. as you note it's hard to be out there all the time, so if budget permits, get a robot to watch 24/7 for you. i set mine up to watch feeding sites

the camera i got was the eufy s220, but i cannot recommend it because while the hardware is adequate eufy does not know how to write software. if i had to do it over again i'd probably research devices marketed as trail cameras, since they often have cell radios so you don't have to set them up in range of a wifi network for full functionality. (without wifi the s220 still detects motion and records clips of it, but obviously you get no notifications or live view)

the camera revealed that alfred was eating at a particular food site, and helped guide everything i did to get him back in. it still took multiple weeks after i first saw him, but just seeing him alive and reasonably well made the money spent on the cameras (i bought a 2 pack) worth it even if i would not buy that brand again

on time of day... alfred normally is most active at dawn and dusk, but outdoors he was so paranoid he didn't like to be out and about when he might see another cat or, worst of all, a human. so, he was most active late at night. i also discovered a bunch of neighborhood ferals nobody knew about because they shared alfred's opinions about Not Being Seen.

quote:

We realized last night that Butter loves to curl up inside our cat carrier. Any time we take her or another cat to the vet if we leave it out with the door open she'll go inside to sleep. We put it outside last night in hopes that she'll pick up the scent and sleep somewhere she finds safe. I also ordered a cat trap that should be here tomorrow that we'll stock with familiar blankets and food. We've got all her items just outside our back door and we've been sleeping in shifts in the family room in hopes that she'll scratch the door if she comes by but I fear she may stop by for food and we'll never notice. She's an idiot so I'm hoping the food/trap combo will lure her in.

so on the trap... one of the things i got drilled into me by the experts is that you NEVER leave armed traps unsupervised. you need to be checking if you caught anything at least every 15-20 minutes. if it's not your cat, or it's something like a raccoon, you need to release it right away. (and take care when releasing wild animals, for obvs reasons)

there's a trapping guide here, it's oriented towards TNR rather than trapping your own tame cat but the same principles apply

https://bayareacats.org/trapping

i want to emphasize that it's really good to have a blanket or towel ready to cover the trap, and you can consider even leaving it partially covering the trap when setting the trap. most cats instantly calm down when the trap is covered up, which gives you time to plan your next action (e.g. releasing if it's not your cat). it's super important because some cats get so agitated they injure themselves trying to get out.

even if you're not ready to regularly monitor a trap for extended windows of time it can be useful to set it up with food inside and the doors securely locked open, giving butter a chance to check it out and get comfortable going in. i've used reusable zipties for this. the best scenario is a trap with one completely removable door, so you don't have to rely on zip ties not breaking

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
BUTTER IS HOME!!!

Some neighbors found her on their deck, took her to the vet to scan her chip and brought her back to us. I'm so incredibly thankful to them for making the effort.

Thank you to everyone here for all the helpful advice. I don't think I could have made it through the last few days without your support.

quote:

there's a trapping guide here, it's oriented towards TNR rather than trapping your own tame cat but the same principles apply

https://bayareacats.org/trapping

This is all really useful information and I'm bookmarking this for later. The trap is still on the way and Butter is always looking for a way to escape so we may need it in the future. Thank you so much for the effortpost! I really appreciate it.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 25, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:woop::hellyeah::woop:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hooray butter

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yay butter now get in the flea bath you filthy animal! :3

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Yay Butter!

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

yay butter now get in the flea bath you filthy animal! :3

She's been gorging on food and water. I don't think she got much sustenance while she was out in the wilds of suburbia.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BUTTER!!:woop:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

STAY HOME BUTTER

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Post a picture of butter

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hooray Butter!

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

computer angel posted:

Post a picture of butter

Plotting her next escape, no doubt.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
butter is allowed to stay inside

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://youtu.be/qvyPMArNtT4?si=XLI_O9xixGZmbiAf

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Exodor posted:

You should put butter on her paws so she doesn't run away again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

itym yw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvyPMArNtT4

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/q3wo7sK.mp4

We're at a friends birthday and I'm hanging out with Winger

Megabound fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 25, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zoom, enhance! Zoom, enhance!

also hi winger

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Exodor posted:

shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
so glad you got butter back exodor! it's great that she was sensible enough to accept help from strangers. alfred was not and that put me through a lot more, LOL