Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
hello catte thread! i have been remiss in not posting pictures of cattes since joining sa, so i'm fixing that!

first, the dearly departed :rip:

i got her when she was this big

she grew up into a beautiful cow cat with one of those huge flaps of belly skin that look so funny when the cat runs. my bad pictures do not do her coat or belly flap justice. she wasn't a floof but her fur was incredibly soft and luxurious. she was one of those two-layer cats, but the outer layer was as fine as most cat's inner layers and then the inner layer was like dense, super high quality goosedown

this was her last day, about 1.5 yrs ago. she was almost 15 years old. it was very hard to take her to the vet, but i had to -- inoperable bladder cancer.

she loved me, didn't trust other humans easily, and passionately hated all other cattes. she would growl and hiss at me if i came home smelling of other cattes -- and her greeting was always to sniff me so she knew if i'd been two-timing her. i miss her.

a couple weeks ago i got a new catte! this is kiki, being afraid of coming out of cover in scary new environment:

kiki was hiding from all humans (she's very skittish) and starving in my apartment parking lot. when my neighbor caught sight of kiki hiding in the water heater closet of one of the buildings, she decided to try to rescue her. she fed kiki for months and slowly gained her trust. it worked, eventually! neighbor already has two cats and couldn't keep kiki herself, and convinced me to take kiki. this is working out to be a Good Choice

kiki likes squeezing into tight places

and having couch pillows piled up on her (will stay in there for hours)

still dubious about everything but getting more comfortable

vet thinks the ear was cut by a catch and release program to mark her as having been spayed. if so the person who did it was a damned butcher :argh:

she has a protruding canine tooth on one side of her mouth, but lost the other one some time in the past

she really likes being a lap kitty

and will headbutt the hell out of everything in sight once she gets a good purr going (thanks to the snaggletooth she accidentally fangs you while doing this)

i was worried that this catte would be semi feral based on how difficult it was to even get close to her while she was outdoors, but it turns out she's just scared. she's completely domesticated and aside from being scared of new everything, she's content to be indoors (has not made a single move to try to get outside). she doesn't get violent even when cornered and scared, and stops being scared if you put her on your lap and pet her (she loving loves being petted). she's still not fully comfortable but the other day i found her sleeping on top of the couch instead of in a hidey hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

ps deathslushie adopt the catte

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

those ears are HUGE

kitten ears are great

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

solar absorption station: acquired

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Kiki status update

Sometimes this

but usually this

This is a scared cat. She is making progress, it's just slow. Not cowering nearly as much as in the first week (I've had her for 3 weeks now), and she usually lets me pick her up instead of running away (especially now that the stupid human has figured out she doesn't like to be touched near her hind legs while she's feeling uneasy)

she does this at first when I pick her up, i think it helps her feel hidden even when being handled

after a bit of ear-scritching she calms down, takes her head out, and the purrs and headbutts start. i don't get to pet her as long tho since she is getting more confident about leaving as soon as she feels slightly overstimulated

wanna see this cat start strutting around with tail held high, any advice re: how to help scared rescued kitty feel safe is welcome

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Well they keep going to the litterbox over and over and eventually you spy on them doing nothing.

also if you use clumping litter look for a change from large clumps to lots of little bitty ones. also watch for changes in urination habits in general (going outside the box when catte normally would use the box). both happened with my old cat who got bladder cancer, which causes symptoms very similar to uti

ps thx mike for kiki advice a couple pages ago. had a covered bed already but she won't go into it, going to try the pheromone spray and will use it on the bed so hopefully she'll venture in and realize it's a nice hiding spot

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

kiki has discovered that covered cat bed is a good place to cat in

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

how many years after buying covered cat bed did it take for this discovery to be made?

0.03846153846 years

she was rescued 5 wks ago. she mostly hides behind those vertical blinds to the right of the bed in that picture, i got the bed because i thought she ought to have a nice fully enclosed hidey hole that was a bit more comfortable. it's taken 2 wks for her to warm up to entering the bed. despite having the pictured contented sleep she still prefers to hang out behind the blinds v:shobon:v

she's beginning to move around a lot more, though she still bolts for the blinds whenever i startle her by moving around myself

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

why yes you silly human it is perfectly ordinary to hang out here

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

did someone say black and orange?

a pair of neighborhood home-invading shitheads who often travel in a pack

not a trap

black kitty mostly likes rubbing up against objects & ankles

orange kitty is SUPERFRIENDLYCAT and demands pets at all times

SPOOKY

i gave them some :catdrugs:

daytime black kitty solo encounter

this is a trap

nighttime orange kitty solo encounter, he is athletic enough to jump over the fence around my patio (black kitty's too fat for that)

shortly after that pic orange kitty decided to climb up the post and trap his self on upstairs neighbor's balcony, he does that every so often because he is kinda dumb (but SUPERFRIENDLY)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

so you just have a crew of cats that occupies your place every so often?

p much

(e: i don't let them very far in now that i have adopted the one that was starving in the parking lot, since she doesn't seem to get along with other cattes very well. the two in these pics sometimes have collars and are deffo getting fed)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

where do i apply for this

live in apartment complex with many cattes

Farecoal posted:

clean ur carpet

that's not carpet silly that's concrete just outside my door

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 18, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

yeah this is the kind of carpet where you can make a dark mark by swiping one way and erase it by swiping the other, like if you rlly wanted to you could etch-a-sketch a picture in

it looks nice and single tone immediately after a vacuuming but the very first footprint fucks it up

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

wesley snypes posted:

if i knew summoning circles worked with cats i would be doing things very differently

shameful non pentagram cat summoning circle

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

DrNewton posted:

16 year old cat has cancer. It's getting worse by the day. Cattes dying sucks.

i lost my 14 year old catte to cancer in 2013. my sympathies to the catte and you, it sucks a great deal. be strong and give him/her all the loves

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

i'm sure this is a meme picture but :ohdear: somebody ded

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

settle down, i got keys today. gotta paint some stuff and then start moving in

the forum will not settle down we demand swsp cattes yesterday get a bloody time machine already jesus christ

also ahem

pez
snickers

AHEM

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

refurb owns

i say this because i think refurb may murder me in my sleep if i do not post that refurb owns

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

kiki status: 2 months post rescue. first vet weigh in was 7.0 pounds, a few days ago i weighed her at about 7.5 on the bathroom scale, and she doesn't look so emaciated or feel so bony any more. :unsmith:

kiki has discovered that under the bed is a great place to hide where the large ape butler cannot bother her. she now spends most of the day there. however, in the evenings she usually comes out and loafs up on top of the couch. this is permission for the ape to sit down and apply pets, which usually leads to leg snuggles.

last night ape butler experienced cat walking on top of him are self while trying to go to sleep :3:

also have some bonus mr. chang he is a pro crosseyed catte

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

maybe? i'm not gonna deal with a cat while I'm trying to get moved and settled, and it's midterms for the next couple weeks and i'm about dead from the combined stress of exams and moving while working 50+ hours a week.

so yeah, cat is absolute lowest priority. sorry if that somehow disappoints someone but idgaf

oh fine i'll call off the torch-and-pitchfork mob

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

cattes who dont get freaked out by going under the sheets are the best

cattes who will savagely attack your menacing hand monster through the sheets are even better

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

ladyweapon posted:

Tallulah has a posse
10" 16lbs.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Shelter cat, him name Mishy :3:

hi Mishy

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

pro photobomb there nermal

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

also Funhilde how do you do sewing stuff with cats around?

because this sort of thing happens to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVGUsXzhae8

mom has to fend off her catte while quilting, he thinks the thread is a toy

and the fabric she's sewing into the quilt

also the quilt is a toy

and her fingers

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the three that were easy to catch are letting me pick them up by the scruff of the neck and pet the mercilessly in my lap.

the fourth one that was hard to catch (reminder, I had to set the live animal trap out with fancy feast and check it hourly four nights in a row after the others all fell for it and got trapped in a 15 minute window on the first night I had the trap out) is still only letting me pet her during feeding, and even then she finishes chewing her bite of food, then hisses at me, then goes back to eating.

but she will be my friend. they will all be my friends, and they will love me.

yer doin' good work, eide van hagar

if you haven't seen it, this flatbush cats bideo has lots of ideas for socializing a scared feral kitten. sounds like she is well on the way, but might be useful to isolate her from the others for a while so you can do 1-on-1 work with her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcD8DrJKejQ

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

success, all four dumpster kittens have been converted to sofa kittens:

:yaycat:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Behind the sofa cat pile:

Also features the cardboard skirt i lit around the back of the sofa to keep them from getting inside it. The warmth from the router that is back there attracts them.

that is a pro cat pile

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Fashionably Great posted:

Widget pisses in the tub occasionally and that's how I found out she had a bladder stone from the drops of bloody piss :gonk:

But definitely prefer her pissing in the tub than on the carpet

piggybackin' on this post with a friendly PSA to all: changes in your cat's urination and/or defecation habits are often a sign of health issues, including potentially fatal conditions. if you see such a change, and you're able to afford, get them to a vet as soon as possible for a checkup

(i found this out the hard way when my first catte died of bladder cancer. the earliest symptom it would've been possible for me to notice, had i known it might be serious, was that she began peeing outside the box much more than normal. when it's painful to urinate, sometimes their little kitty brains decide "maybe it's the box, i'll find somewhere else". it doesn't work of course but the association with the box can be strong so they'll keep trying to get away from the place they know it definitely hurts to pee.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

help how do you tell your voids apart

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

graph posted:

tomās left this plane a year ago. i havent pet a cat in over a year

i miss my little orange buddy so much

condolences and commiserations

i lost my beautiful little girl kiki to kidney failure a bit over a year ago

i only got to butler kiki about 6 years. that picture is from shortly before my neighbor caught her and gave her to me. she was an older adult with no home who needed help and seemed ready to accept it. once she got over her fear of people she was the sweetest cat i've ever known. you know how we say cats are assholes? she was the exception

i'll always miss her

mid-august this year i wasn't really feeling like looking yet, but a pair of kittens turned up in the same outdor cat feeding spot as kiki. they were a bit too old to be adopted through a shelter, but the volunteer who trapped them for TNR thought they might be socializable with some work, and i caved to pressure and took them in. spoiler: she was right

how it started

him Alfred

her Abby

how it's going

they assholes, i can't leave toilet paper rolls outside of cabinets any more lol

(alfred was easy to socialize, abby is a much harder case. she went to a foster mom before i took her, is still skittish, but makes slow steady progress. neither one wants anything to do with people who aren't me, hopefully that'll improve with time)

anyways, even if you're not feeling quite ready,

Ofecks posted:

:sympathy:

Would you feel up to making a visit to your local shelter? Those cats could use pets and love

we would like pictures if you go

make that trip, you might find you're readier than you thought

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

i don't have photo evidence but today alfred discovered how to jump up on the kitchen counter and then to the top of the fridge where the canister of cat treats lives, which he proceeded to knock off the fridge

(at least i think it was alfred, could be abby but she's usually a bit more cautious)

fortunately it was a plastic canister so nothing broke, gotta figure out how to keep them off the counters though

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i keep the cat treats in a cabinet above the fridge

this has not stopped rocco from getting to them

so far alfred and abby have not discovered the terrible secret of cabinet doors

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Golden-i posted:

Furb's on new food the last two weeks or so. She's eating more, barfing less, and pooping normal cat poops. Also, she has a lot more energy

My girl's back :3:

my god refurb's eyes are so much

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Sancho got put on prednisolone for his ibd today. he’s getting all the shoulder time he wants.

prednisolone for ibd made a huge difference in quality of life for my old catte Kiki, she went from vomiting all the time to almost not at all

hope it helps Sancho too!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

you must face the door guard if you wish to enter the bathroom

i don't see a door guard

i see a mighty hunter posing on its vanquished prey, the devilish floor mat

(alfred loves wrestling with, kicking the poo poo out of, and burrowing under my bathroom floormat. also runs up and jumps on it to skid around a bit. it's his favorite cat toy)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

abby & alfred update

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Bandire posted:

Or they just flat goddamn refuse to eat it. I ended up donating probably $75 worth of kidney support food to a shelter because Bandit refused to eat it. He's a picky rear end in a top hat, but he's still hanging in there a year after diagnosis eating regular food.

eat the food Bandit

also drink the water

(if you aren't already administering subcutaneous fluid injections to help his kidneys, be ready for your vet to recommend it at some point, and don't be afraid of it - once i figured proper technique out, it was actually easier to give Kiki her daily fluids than her oral meds. will vary by cat personality of course.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

been going through post history and catface was amazing

so are you radio, not every catte has a butler who makes handmade catnip toys. you gave her the best life a catte could hope for

rest in peace catface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

alfred, w/ abby photobomb:

abby, w/ alfred photobomb: