Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I"ve been reading this thread for a long time but for some reason never posted photos of our three idiots.

First we got Butter. Butter is 12 now and she's the most affectionate cat I've ever met. If there's a lap available she's on it. She also loves sleeping on my shoulder. She often sings her song at 2 AM for no reason and for some reason tries to dash out any exterior door that opens. She's an idiot and she's my baby and I love her.

Then in late 2019 we decided to adopt Claudia and Willow. We got them from the same rescue but they're not littermates.

They started smol.

Willow stayed smol. Claudia became a gigantic skittish beast

Claudia is possibly the strangest cat I've ever had. She is huge and has massive claws and seems completely unaware of those facts. She likes to snuggle next to us in bed and stretch out her front paws digging her claws into whatever happens to be in front of her - often our backs. She's almost five but still seems mostly unable to control her large body. She's an idiot and I love her

Willow is also almost five bue she's still very smol and also retained her kitten energy. She loves to hang out in the highest places in the house (partly to escape Claudia, I think). She's an idiot and I love her.

My kid went off to college last fall and requested a cat picture every morning so I have a lot. I'll try to post pictures of these idiots from time to time.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Exodor posted:

First we got Butter.
for some reason tries to dash out any exterior door that opens.

Well, yesterday was the day I knew would come eventually - Butter got out and she's nowhere to be found.

We've got her bowl of food, her cat bed and one of my fleeces outside hoping to attract her but no luck yet. A neighbor a few houses down spotted her yesterday but didn't know she is ours. I've got a few flyers to put up around the neighborhood - we get a lot of dog walkers - and we've alerted all the neighbors.

I just want my kitty back. :sigh:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Thanks everyone - Still no sign of the idiot but I'm hoping she's hiding nearby. She's done this once before and she only made it as far as the next-door neighbor's yard. She was only out for about 12 hours that day. We're over 24 hours now. :(

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

BobHoward posted:

please if you need some advice click the question mark on my post to see my posting history ITT, i have effortposted about things to do when a cat escapes. my boy alfred got out last fall, and i got lots of assistance from somebody who does a lot of escaped pet rescues. i learned a lot from her in the process of getting alfred back and am happy to pass knowledge on

it sounds like you're already doing some good stuff. familiar scents are great. sounds are too - if you've got something you do that makes a noise when you feed her, and you know it gets her attention, you could try walking around the neighborhood making that noise. if it's something that's hard to do repeatedly like the sound of opening a can, record it as a sound file and walk around playing it back on your cellphone

above all else do not lose hope! i know it sucks right now, i was terrified that something bad had happened to alfred until sightings started to pick up. he was out a total of three weeks, and i was advised that sometimes this can take even longer, so don't despair if the days turn into weeks or even months. most of them do not actually roam far, especially if you keep food and water out for them. cats are small and good at hiding when afraid so she may be closer than you think

Thank you for the advice and warm thoughts.

I've been walking the neighborhood in the evenings and early morning since internet advice says that's when cats are most active. Our neighborhood is kind of a large square with a bunch of huge backyards all back-to-back. I think it's pretty likely she's hunkered down somewhere back there and I would never see her. Two of our three neighbors are very helpful and on the lookout for her. The other neighbor seems like a shut-in but they have a dog they let into their backyard so I doubt Butter is hiding back there. Another issue with trying to find her by walking the neighborhood is that she's 12 and when she was inside she slept for about 22 hours a day. The chances of my stumbling on her during the rare times she's active are pretty low.

We realized last night that Butter loves to curl up inside our cat carrier. Any time we take her or another cat to the vet if we leave it out with the door open she'll go inside to sleep. We put it outside last night in hopes that she'll pick up the scent and sleep somewhere she finds safe. I also ordered a cat trap that should be here tomorrow that we'll stock with familiar blankets and food. We've got all her items just outside our back door and we've been sleeping in shifts in the family room in hopes that she'll scratch the door if she comes by but I fear she may stop by for food and we'll never notice. She's an idiot so I'm hoping the food/trap combo will lure her in.

I've also posted her on every missing pet website I can find and I've been checking the shelters. I almost immediately got a text from someone that said they had her - and they'd send a picture if I would just send them back the google voice confirmation number they sent me. Scammers preying on desperate pet owners must be the lowest of the low.

We're trying real hard not to give up hope. I would love to get her back before we're forced to tell our 18 year old what's happening because she's going to be crushed when she finds out. :(

The other two are both acting strangely and spend a lot more time looking out the back door than usual. I think they miss their friend/tormentor.

Again I appreciate all the support.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Frozen Peach posted:

The extremely rare three warms

How long did that last before the bopping started?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
BUTTER IS HOME!!!

Some neighbors found her on their deck, took her to the vet to scan her chip and brought her back to us. I'm so incredibly thankful to them for making the effort.

Thank you to everyone here for all the helpful advice. I don't think I could have made it through the last few days without your support.

quote:

there's a trapping guide here, it's oriented towards TNR rather than trapping your own tame cat but the same principles apply

https://bayareacats.org/trapping

This is all really useful information and I'm bookmarking this for later. The trap is still on the way and Butter is always looking for a way to escape so we may need it in the future. Thank you so much for the effortpost! I really appreciate it.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 25, 2024

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

yay butter now get in the flea bath you filthy animal! :3

She's been gorging on food and water. I don't think she got much sustenance while she was out in the wilds of suburbia.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

computer angel posted:

Post a picture of butter

Plotting her next escape, no doubt.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

speaking of microchips

penny got one implanted when she got spayed a few weeks ago. however i have not registered it yet. it came with a card for some service called 24petwatch, and it looks like there are a whole lot of different microchip registries. how does this stuff work -- is there like a national database that they all connect to? do i have to register with several places? how do i make sure that if she gets lost, whoever finds her can look up her information?

24PetWatch is the service where Butter was registered. Her return started with a voicemail from them with the finder's telephone number. They also seem to have provided the finder with our address because by the time I called them they were already on their way. As part of our frenzy to get her back I registered with their cheapest pay service but in the end I think the only thing that got me was that phone call.

Register your pet!

I love this blep.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Just a void with eyes. :allears:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

So many great cats on this page

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

this is my cat:

That is a great cat.

Butter has settled back into her routine of sleeping in the most awkward way possible

I love that little weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I think Claudia may have outgrown her tent