Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.

Stayne Falls posted:

It's easy when you're complimenting yourself ;)

Lol oh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

Tyja posted:

The new Drummer has a Blog which is being updated throughout the recording and gives a little bit of incite into this album's creation.

October 31, 2009, 9:00am: Just arrived at Billy's home studio. Very excited to start recording the new album!

October 31, 2009, 9:08am: Billy yelled at me and then fired me and said he'd do the drums himself.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
A video has been posted of Billy in the studio performing a part from "Song for a Son", which I am hoping is on the new album:

http://www.twitvid.com/1CE36

oh, and an earlier one which appears to be just Billy jamming:

http://www.twitvid.com/8AD3B

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

xdrquinnx posted:

October 31, 2009, 9:00am: Just arrived at Billy's home studio. Very excited to start recording the new album!

October 31, 2009, 9:08am: Billy yelled at me and then fired me and said he'd do the drums himself.

haha brilliant

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder how 44 substantial and (at least somewhat) different songs could form a coherent enough whole to be considered an album. Maybe it's an ongoing narrative in chapters, hence the 11 EPs? It really seems like it might be a better idea to boil that stuff down into a really good 12 song album, I mean that format has stuck around for decades for a good reason. I'd certainly get bored with the one idea by the time I'd recorded 20 songs about it, let alone 44. Quite a commitment, especially with no end date in sight. Maybe it'll be Billy's unfinished masterpiece or something.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Why is it whenever an artist decides to do something with more than the standard amount of tracks people want them to release less music? If you like a band, why wouldn't you want them to release as much music as possible?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

iamthejeff posted:

A video has been posted of Billy in the studio performing a part from "Song for a Son", which I am hoping is on the new album:

http://www.twitvid.com/1CE36

oh, and an earlier one which appears to be just Billy jamming:

http://www.twitvid.com/8AD3B

I really liked his new stuff at the show I went to and Song for a Son was one of the highlights. Hopefully it makes it.

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Why is it whenever an artist decides to do something with more than the standard amount of tracks people want them to release less music? If you like a band, why wouldn't you want them to release as much music as possible?

Not if the signal to noise ratio suffers as a result of poor editing choices.

ex: The album Thriller had about 300 songs written for it, out of which 9 were chosen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What was the actual number, or is 300 it? That's impressive, if so.

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What was the actual number, or is 300 it? That's impressive, if so.

My information is from Wikipedia, so:

Wikipedia posted:

Jackson reunited with Off the Wall producer Quincy Jones to record his sixth studio album. The pair worked together on 300 songs, nine of which were eventually included.[20]

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Speaking as a musical artist who writes a shitload of songs, not all of them are going to be genius and sometimes a glut can produce weariness. Remember: less is more, supply goes down so demand goes up, etc.

Plus this is Billy Corgan we're talking about here. There is a LOT of bad mixed in with the good and he in particular has had some egregious self-editing problems in the recent past.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Melon Collie was a double album and some of his best work. Likewise Machina I and II were supposed to be one big double album and were freakin' awesome too so I think he does best when he goes off recording loads of music.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Melon Collie was a double album and some of his best work. Likewise Machina I and II were supposed to be one big double album and were freakin' awesome too so I think he does best when he goes off recording loads of music.

Oddly enough, Mellon Collie was only a third of the music he wrote during that period. The other third was released as The Aeroplane Flies High and the last third was never released because it was awful. My point still stands. It's just that Corgan has such a ridiculously high rate of input that he still produces a shitload of music when only using portions of everything he writes.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

Stayne Falls posted:

Oddly enough, Mellon Collie was only a third of the music he wrote during that period. The other third was released as The Aeroplane Flies High and the last third became "Pastichio Medley."

That's more like it.

It's true though, Billy had a hugely prolific period for a while there, and the majority of it was really goddamn good. Mellon Collie is one of my all-time favorites. Hell, I just listened to it again a couple of days ago.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Just think if he condensed Mellon Collie down to the very best songs to make it just one disc. Would it eclipse Siamese Dream? I'm not sure, but it'd be close in my opinion. As it is, the Twilight side (that's the 2nd disc right?) is pretty good, but some of that stuff could've easily been dropped.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

pill for your ills posted:

That's more like it.

It's true though, Billy had a hugely prolific period for a while there, and the majority of it was really goddamn good. Mellon Collie is one of my all-time favorites. Hell, I just listened to it again a couple of days ago.

Haha fair enough, although there was more than that. Billy says they stuck all the remaining poo poo into that but later he mentioned a few other bits and pieces that were too lovely to even make it to pastiche status.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Stayne Falls posted:

Haha fair enough, although there was more than that. Billy says they stuck all the remaining poo poo into that but later he mentioned a few other bits and pieces that were too lovely to even make it to pastiche status.

I still regret losing the full-length studio version of 'Jackboot', that shouldn't have been relegated to a 10 second clip in the medley. Yeah it's not album-worthy but it's better than some of the stuff that was stuck on b-sides.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

shmee posted:

I still regret losing the full-length studio version of 'Jackboot', that shouldn't have been relegated to a 10 second clip in the medley. Yeah it's not album-worthy but it's better than some of the stuff that was stuck on b-sides.

For serious, that's one of his best jams ever. But that's why there's Earphoria and the Gravity demos.

fastpork
Jul 16, 2008

Stayne Falls posted:

Oddly enough, Mellon Collie was only a third of the music he wrote during that period. The other third was released as The Aeroplane Flies High and the last third was never released because it was awful. My point still stands. It's just that Corgan has such a ridiculously high rate of input that he still produces a shitload of music when only using portions of everything he writes.
Are you talking about the songs released on the single EPs? Some of that stuff is pretty great. Set The Ray To Jerry, Marquis in Spades, Medellia of the Gray Skies, Mouths of Babes, etc. are some of the best stuff the Pumpkins made.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pill for your ills posted:

For serious, that's one of his best jams ever. But that's why there's Earphoria and the Gravity demos.

I am interested in these Gravity demos you speak of. I've never heard of them.

Also, aside from about 5 clips on youtube, anyone know anything about the '666' video where they're in the studio recording MCIS?

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

I am interested in these Gravity demos you speak of. I've never heard of them.

Also, aside from about 5 clips on youtube, anyone know anything about the '666' video where they're in the studio recording MCIS?

Hit dimeadozen and zomb. They pretty much have the big Pumpkins stuff up in perpetuity, including 666 and the Gravity demos.

(Note to mods: Not encouraging piracy, Billy encourages people to spread stuff like that)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have to admit that this thread and how the topic has slipped into a recollection of some of his stellar b-side work (the boxset version of the "thirty three" single is some of my favorite pumpkins material) has made me nostalgic for the golden era of Corgan and his output. Zeitgeist was such a miserable disappointment that I couldn't bear to listen to the dude for a good year after it came out. This thread has me pulling out the old ep's and cranking "slunk" at ear-bleeding level.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

hatelull posted:

I have to admit that this thread and how the topic has slipped into a recollection of some of his stellar b-side work (the boxset version of the "thirty three" single is some of my favorite pumpkins material) has made me nostalgic for the golden era of Corgan and his output. Zeitgeist was such a miserable disappointment that I couldn't bear to listen to the dude for a good year after it came out. This thread has me pulling out the old ep's and cranking "slunk" at ear-bleeding level.

Right on motherfucker. It's a real shame "Transformer" wasn't ever a single on its own.

I listen to Mellon Collie and feel the way I imagine people in 1969 felt when The Beatles came out. Big ol' double album chock full of instant classics plus some genre exercises for the occasional smile. I think it works. Hell, "Lily (My One and Only)" is the reason I don't poo poo on "Honey Pie" like a lot of people do.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

fastpork posted:

Are you talking about the songs released on the single EPs? Some of that stuff is pretty great. Set The Ray To Jerry, Marquis in Spades, Medellia of the Gray Skies, Mouths of Babes, etc. are some of the best stuff the Pumpkins made.

No, the singles were compiled as Aeroplane. I'm speaking of the other stuff like "Jackboots" that was either cut into snippets for "Pastichio Medley" or just not even bothered with past a certain point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have a really lovely (live) copy of Alabaster, which I loving LOVE. Anyone have a studio version, or does one even exist?

It's that type of song that Billy writes that just puts this sort of emotion inside you that you can't explain or describe. Same as "Thru the Eyes of a Ruby", to me.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

GOOCHY posted:

Just think if he condensed Mellon Collie down to the very best songs to make it just one disc. Would it eclipse Siamese Dream? I'm not sure, but it'd be close in my opinion. As it is, the Twilight side (that's the 2nd disc right?) is pretty good, but some of that stuff could've easily been dropped.

That's true for every double album, though. I haven't encountered one yet that doesn't have its filler or duds.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Captain Charisma posted:

That's true for every double album, though. I haven't encountered one yet that doesn't have its filler or duds.

The Wall
The Fragile

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

GOOCHY posted:

Everybody says this about MCIS, but yet if you ask 100 people what the "filler" tracks are, you'll get 100 different answers. I used to agree that Mellon Collie was bloated and needed to be trimmed, but once I realized that nobody could actually agree what the problem tracks were, I changed my opinion. One of the strengths of Mellon Collie is that it a bunch of good songs for almost anyone, and it's easy enough to just skip/tolerate the ones you don't care for. Even "We Only Come Out at Night" doesn't run long enough to really drag Twilight to Starlight down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Remote Viewer posted:

The Fragile

Really? I loved the Fragile, but there are some tracks I skip every single drat time. Not a big fan of "Ripe (with Decay), or "I'm looking forward to meeting you finally." They just don't seem as captivating to me.

Anyway, off topic and all that. As for the subject at hand, I feel that Siamese Dream is 100% without filler. The closest track, I think, would be Spaceboy, but even that manages to be captivating in some way. I really wish he had put "La Dolly Vita" on there, and included 'Slunk' on Gish.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'm pretty old compared to some of you guys (32 now, yeesh...) and remember when MCIS was released. I was working in a Co-op Records shop at the time, a totally sweet job for a high school kid. They'd let us play whatever we wanted in the store, so of course I had to run MCIS on release day!

Of course, the Bullet With Butterfly Wings video had been running for at least a couple of weeks before the album was released, so I knew that one. But the track that sold me on the new album? gently caress You (An Ode to No One) - Hell. loving. Yes.

I distinctly remember that track running while a mom was in the store picking up the disc for her son. She asked, "Is this what I'm buying?"

"A-yup!"

I still add that track to work out mixes on my iPod because it's just way too bad-rear end to not include.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Anyway, off topic and all that. As for the subject at hand, I feel that Siamese Dream is 100% without filler. The closest track, I think, would be Spaceboy, but even that manages to be captivating in some way. I really wish he had put "La Dolly Vita" on there, and included 'Slunk' on Gish.

I love "Spaceboy". The only track I skip on that album is "Sweet Sweet", but it's so short I usually don't bother. I don't think the album would suffer at all to lose that.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

shmee posted:

I love "Spaceboy". The only track I skip on that album is "Sweet Sweet", but it's so short I usually don't bother. I don't think the album would suffer at all to lose that.

Nah, I think it works in that it's a buffer between the balls out twenty zillion track Corgan patented wall of sound that is "Silverfuck" and the sugary sweet mix-tape-for-the-girl "Luna."

"An Ode to No One" is easily one of the standouts of Disc I, and the live version that got included on their video collection was deadly. I keep thinking they're going to release that entire show on DVD one day, but I guess it'll never happen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

and the sugary sweet mix-tape-for-the-girl "Luna."

Oh god, how did you know?

:smith:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Wall
The Fragile

Two excellent examples of double albums with filler/duds!

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Captain Charisma posted:

Two excellent examples of double albums with filler/duds!

There's nothing I would cut from either album to the point of making it a single album. At most I'd trim 3 songs from the Fragile and replace them with 3 songs from the non-CD versions of the album. From The Wall the only thing I can think to get rid of is 'Bring The Boys Back Home' and replace it with 'What Shall We Do Now?' which was dropped for sound fidelity reasons.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

There's nothing I would cut from either album to the point of making it a single album. At most I'd trim 3 songs from the Fragile and replace them with 3 songs from the non-CD versions of the album. From The Wall the only thing I can think to get rid of is 'Bring The Boys Back Home' and replace it with 'What Shall We Do Now?' which was dropped for sound fidelity reasons.

And to drive home a point, I would kill you if you managed to take out "Bring the Boys Back Home". To me it's the highlight of the second disc (yes, even more than "Comfortably Numb". I love choir music).

There's no way to prove any double albums are without "filler" or "duds" because everybody will have a different opinion about which is which. In this particular area, by the way, The Beatles for once are not the gold standard.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

The Wall

If you remove "Young Lust" it fits on one CD. Maybe still so if you replace it with "What Shall We Do Now?"

The Fragile is perfect, however. If anything, it should be longer, including the LP-exclusives and "Appendage" as canon. I will entertain no opinion to the contrary. Serious post.

GOOCHY posted:

Of course, the Bullet With Butterfly Wings video had been running for at least a couple of weeks before the album was released, so I knew that one. But the track that sold me on the new album? gently caress You (An Ode to No One) - Hell. loving. Yes.

I distinctly remember that track running while a mom was in the store picking up the disc for her son. She asked, "Is this what I'm buying?"

"A-yup!"

I still add that track to work out mixes on my iPod because it's just way too bad-rear end to not include.

Hah, yes! I also love the speed-metal version from the "last" show in 2000.

pill for your ills fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 21, 2009

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Why would anybody want to remove anything from Melon Collie? The album is loving perfect :psyduck:

king teh
Jan 30, 2009

by Fistgrrl

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Why would anybody want to remove anything from Melon Collie? The album is loving perfect :psyduck:

I've said it in previous SP topics (as have others) and I'll say it again: Some parts of Mellon Collie have aged terribly, especially if you aren't looking at the album with rose-colored glasses. I ignored the band during their prime apart from the popular singles and only really started listening to Siamese Dream/MC after everything went awry in the 00s. Songs like Tales of a Scorched Earth and X.Y.U. are really hard for me to stomach at all, and while not bad to listen to, things like Lily and We Only Come Out at Night aren't exactly Siamese Dream quality and I would certainly call them filler, albeit pretty filler. I definitely believe 1/3rd to 1/2 of Melon Collie could be cut and make an album almost as fantastic as Siamese Dream, which is an album I loving love, nostalgia or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't find it, but there was a thread awhile ago about making double albums into a single one and I made a MCIS one. If I remember correctly this was it:

MCIS
Tonight Tonight
Jellybelly
Here Is No Why
BWBW
gently caress You
Cupid de Locke
Galapagos
Porcelina
Where Boys Fear To Tread
Bodies
Thru The Eyes of Ruby
XYU
Farewell & Goodnight

Shuffle around some of the softer songs, and maybe add in In The Arms of Sleep and that's golden.

E: By the way Adore is their best album and never gets any discussion.

• Locked thread