Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah no, Munich doesn't really have a nightlife (for people who should not be hunted for sport, that is). I've heard one medium-to-positive review for a kiosk near the Münchner Freiheit, but that was coming from someone was actively trying to drink themself to death in order to escape Munich, so ymmv. There are nice things to do in Munich, but going out at night when the beer gardens aren't open isn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

There are some cool night things in Munich but I don't remember where they are.

Good small concerts at least.

E: Glockenbachviertel

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

kiimo posted:

So my thoughts on Munich are that city is not at all walkable unless you want to just hang out at hofbrauhaus all night. Also I went to Pusser's based on its rating and, let's be honest, its name and welp. That place sucks. Super expensive whiskey served by snotty waiters. Y'all love Woodford Reserve for some reason. FYI, Woodford Reserve is just ok.

I live in Kentucky and I can indeed confirm Woodford Reserve is just okay.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Last time I was there the nightlife in Florence was like 90% American college students wearing those stupid sweatshirts and was absolutely awful

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess traveling in late January when college students just went back to school is a good time then.

Not sure why you'd hate hanging out with a bunch of american college students wearing sweatshirts as opposed to anything else but maybe you hate that type of socializing.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I'll be visiting Berlin for a few days later this month. I've already been there and enjoyed the unavoidable Ostalgie-Tour, Museumsinsel and most of the Top Attractions Recommended By The Berlin Tourism Agency.

Now, I'm about as hip as a twenty-sided die and, so far, plan on seeing some museums, unguided drinking and avoiding hipster clubs.

Does anyone have suggestions on things to experience that an Alpenseppel like me would not be able to find in homely old Austria?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I can only reiterate Eschenbräu (cheap good locally brewed beer, Wedding) and Cralle(Wedding)/Tristeza(Neukölln) for leftie pubs if that’s your thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So my fiancee and I are in Berlin for the weekend with plans to go see museum island, some other things, and generally roam around the city. We're staying in Friedrichschain. Anywhere in particular we have to go?

After that, we have two days in Bamberg, which seems like a neat little place for walking, drinking, eating, and reading, but again, if anyone has suggestions for key places to go or things to look out for, I'd appreciate it.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
As for Bamberg: the cathedral (Dom) and the New Residence, the nearby museum and the whole of the old town should last you for one day and lead you past more than enough choices for eating and drinking, too. Alternateively, you could do a guided tour or try these. For the second day, consider the Altenburg. I would have suggested the St. Michael's monastery and its surroundings and the view from up there, but you can't go inside due to renovations at this time which takes away a good part of the appeal.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Berliner Unterwelten offers tours of underground installations both WW2 and Cold War. Highly recommended.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

When you're in Bamberg try a Rauchbier at the Schlenkerla or Spezial brewery pubs right in the middle of the city. Those are smoked beers which are afaik only brewed in Bamberg and by those two breweries and which tbh might *not* be to your taste (especially the Schlenkerla which kinda tastes like smoked meat) but you'll never know until you try! Personally I think they are delicious :)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Gatac posted:

Berliner Unterwelten offers tours of underground installations both WW2 and Cold War. Highly recommended.

Oh, the Berlin Story Bunker (not to be confused with the now demolished Story of Berlin) is also supposed to be very good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Fantastic, thanks for the Bamberg and Berlin reccs!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

System Metternich posted:

When you're in Bamberg try a Rauchbier at the Schlenkerla or Spezial brewery pubs right in the middle of the city. Those are smoked beers which are afaik only brewed in Bamberg and by those two breweries and which tbh might *not* be to your taste (especially the Schlenkerla which kinda tastes like smoked meat) but you'll never know until you try! Personally I think they are delicious :)

My parents in-law brought me some of that stuff back from their Bamberg trip. They know I’m into trying all kinds of different beers so that was really nice of them. I couldn’t finish the bottle though. Don’t think that ever happened to me before or since.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out Berliner Unterwelten, don't think the Story Bunker is quite my thing.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Trip report: Sadly couldn't make it to the Unterwelten, their policy of only selling limited day tickets you have to pick up at Gesundbrunnen is a bit of a hassle if everything else you do is at the opposite side of town.
I've seen my share of art museums, but the Bode Museum is a stunning place when it comes to medieval and renaissance sculptures. So is the Charlottenburg park when it comes to baroque/19th cent. garden architecture.

Met two goons, got drunk, did not get murdered. Also, which city has a Hauptbahnhof that only connects to a single three station subway line?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

One that’s still trying to connect it to the rest of it (U5 starting off Alexanderplatz) but yeah it‘s silly right now and has been for a while.

Sounds like you had fun despite the Unterwelten trouble!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

It also connects to one bundle of S-Bahn lines, and is going to connect to a new-ish north-south S-Bahn line at some point in the future (possibly). Also, there's trams now! You should have seen it when it opened in 2006, that was dire.

e: also also, you generally don't have to use it. There's a whole bunch of other ICE stations, unlike in some other cities. I guess "towns" would be more appropriate

Smirr fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 1, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it a good idea to visit Germany (mostly Saxony & Brandenburg I guess) during this Friday-Monday? Or would it be like Sundays but worse? I don't need to do any shopping specifically but more about general touristy poo poo so some museums, zoos, or other attractions and hopefully food.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It may not be a great idea simply because the roads and trains will be packed with people going on short holidays or visiting relatives, and the touristy spots and restaurants that are open are likely to be crowded too. Roads and trains are probably worst on Friday and Monday and the tourist spots inbetween, but generally Easter weekend is considered not great for travelling.

e: Friday is also when school holidays start in Saxony and that's really not going to help matters.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 17, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks! But, ugh, what am I supposed to do on 4 day weekend :mad:

Saturday's just a normal Saturday though, right? I might give Dresden a try since it's close enough drive (from Prague) but this definitely puts the larger scale plan to rest.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, Saturday is a regular Saturday. Shops might close earlier than during the week. Dresden should have plenty of sights and then there’s Leipzig, too, if you get bored.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Zwille posted:

One that’s still trying to connect it to the rest of it (U5 starting off Alexanderplatz) but yeah it‘s silly right now and has been for a while.

Sounds like you had fun despite the Unterwelten trouble!

Are there betting pools for whether the U5 connection is built before the new airport, and if either will happen before the sun goes dark and the heat death of the universe?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Saladman posted:

Are there betting pools for whether the U5 connection is built before the new airport, and if either will happen before the sun goes dark and the heat death of the universe?

The U5 extension is just one year late, and only because they found archeologically valuable stuff near the Rotes Rathaus. You will also notice that it hasn't killed anyone yet, unlike other tunnel works in other cities

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Saladman posted:

Brandenburg will never open.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Smirr posted:

The U5 extension is just one year late, and only because they found archeologically valuable stuff near the Rotes Rathaus. You will also notice that it hasn't killed anyone yet, unlike other tunnel works in other cities

Holy christ, no kidding. The French wikipedia gives the same timeline ("débute en 2010 pour un budget de 433M€, avec une inauguration prévue en 2019."). That is... shockingly slow construction for a subway tunnel, even through the center of an old city. Like the new Elizabeth Line subway in central London also started in 2009 and it's already largely finished, and it's an order of magnitude larger.

I mean I'm not a civil engineer and don't know anything about the ground in Berlin, but 10 years to build a 2km subway tunnel seems like rent seeking for a construction company.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Berlin sits on particularly unsuitable ground IIRC, but it's still no excuse for being this slow to build a tunnel. Or an airport, of course.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
Or take Cologne, where after 10 years, they still can't fill in a hole in the ground (I know, it's a little more complicated than that, but is it really?) to complete the Nord-Süd Stadtbahn .

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Nobody really gives a poo poo about that last bit of subway. Once finished it’ll be kinda convenient for people coming from the eastern part of the city but other than that, it’s just a nuisance right now.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Hi beautiful leute.

I'm thinking about moving to Germany. Here is some context and concerns. If this is a dumb place to put this or there is a big thread about moving to deutschland somewhere, I'll check that out.

I am a 27 year old software engineer with a b.s. in software engineering, working at a TechCo. I didn't study abroad or get to travel much until I was well into college/past college, and even then mostly for random 2 weeks I could get off of work, but always felt very at home in Europe. I am generally a bit tired of the US. I definitely don't hate it or anything, and I'm sure there are things I will miss dearly, but I've always wanted to learn another language through immersion and I have a foundation in German (a few years in high school and lots of very casual study since then, attempting to read newspaper articles and consume media, nowhere close to fluency but confident I could learn in an immersive environment).

I have some student debt although it should be well gone by the end of 2019. By mid 2020 (around this time next year) is when my lease is up and I would like to possibly move to Germany then. I would love to leverage my software engineering skills to make the move, and living there, easier. If everything goes well, I should have a bit of money saved up then. I don't think I'll be rich or anything, but hopefully like a "8 months expenses in my expensive US city" level of savings. Hopefully that will go a decent way in Germany.

My other motive other than living, working in Germany and learning german, is to potentially study and get my master's. Probably in something like CS or human-computer interaction, but also interested in statistics and economics.

Most likely target city is Berlin. I understand Berlin proper can be a bit weird for learning german as it's more english-centric than even other places in Germany (Or correct me if I'm wrong). But overall, it seems to have a nice balance of things I'm looking for, including tech opportunity + universities + nightlife etc.

So, here are some questions related to that. If anyone wants to chime in that would be great. Even better if you want to DM or correspond elsewhere (love SA dearly but it's not the most convenient platform these days).

1) General realism check. Is anything I mentioned here totally off?
2) Employment/visa: Ideally I would go with a transfer with my current company that has an office in Berlin. But if I do that, what happens if I get fired or quit? Can I find a new job in Germany or am I immediately banished back to the land of the brave / home of the free? What if I want to quit and do freelance from germany? Basically, how much am I a slave to my specific employment situation at time of move? How tolerant is Germany of dirty US immigrants in the age of Trump?
3) Let's say I don't move with a phat relo package from my current employer and I want to bring stuff over. Could I reasonably throw $2000ish dollars at that problem and bring my life over? Or is it much more expensive than that? What if I ditch large furniture? How much to live in a nice, safe, central spot in Berlin?
4) Education: is it realistic to pursue a master's part time in Berlin? Do I need to be fluent in German? What if I had mediocre graduating GPA in the US (not horrible but I think I may have had right at a 3.0 out of 4.0 because of a bad freshman year, need to double check).
5) Any other things to look out for? I heard US taxes don't kick in for your first $100k of income (if you're lucky enough to make that much)?

Apologies again if no one gives a poo poo or this is the wrong place for this, but if anyone does want to help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Also, on the topic of Munich nightlife: I went to Harry Klein in Munich and it seemed like a great club, although outside of that I don't think there's a ton of options.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I don't think it's realistic to bring furniture from the US unless you're willing to pay a lot for the privilege. Just buy new stuff at IKEA.

There are schools where you can get a master's through evening classes, though this is somewhat understood to be strictly for earning more money after you're done and not actually a real scientific education. They're also a lot of work, but I know people who did it and are pretty happy with the results.

Most people have a positive / neutral attitude to generic white or black Americans. Most people don't think too much about Trump unless they're making fun of him, kind of like you might think about Berlusconi or Putin.

Software devs earn a lot less money in Germany than the US, though that may be different if you're transferring in the same company or freelancing.

I don't know anything about Berlin or visas.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

an skeleton posted:

Hi beautiful leute.

I'm thinking about moving to Germany. Here is some context and concerns. If this is a dumb place to put this or there is a big thread about moving to deutschland somewhere, I'll check that out.

I am a 27 year old software engineer with a b.s. in software engineering, working at a TechCo. I didn't study abroad or get to travel much until I was well into college/past college, and even then mostly for random 2 weeks I could get off of work, but always felt very at home in Europe. I am generally a bit tired of the US. I definitely don't hate it or anything, and I'm sure there are things I will miss dearly, but I've always wanted to learn another language through immersion and I have a foundation in German (a few years in high school and lots of very casual study since then, attempting to read newspaper articles and consume media, nowhere close to fluency but confident I could learn in an immersive environment).

I have some student debt although it should be well gone by the end of 2019. By mid 2020 (around this time next year) is when my lease is up and I would like to possibly move to Germany then. I would love to leverage my software engineering skills to make the move, and living there, easier. If everything goes well, I should have a bit of money saved up then. I don't think I'll be rich or anything, but hopefully like a "8 months expenses in my expensive US city" level of savings. Hopefully that will go a decent way in Germany.

My other motive other than living, working in Germany and learning german, is to potentially study and get my master's. Probably in something like CS or human-computer interaction, but also interested in statistics and economics.

Most likely target city is Berlin. I understand Berlin proper can be a bit weird for learning german as it's more english-centric than even other places in Germany (Or correct me if I'm wrong). But overall, it seems to have a nice balance of things I'm looking for, including tech opportunity + universities + nightlife etc.

So, here are some questions related to that. If anyone wants to chime in that would be great. Even better if you want to DM or correspond elsewhere (love SA dearly but it's not the most convenient platform these days).

1) General realism check. Is anything I mentioned here totally off?
2) Employment/visa: Ideally I would go with a transfer with my current company that has an office in Berlin. But if I do that, what happens if I get fired or quit? Can I find a new job in Germany or am I immediately banished back to the land of the brave / home of the free? What if I want to quit and do freelance from germany? Basically, how much am I a slave to my specific employment situation at time of move? How tolerant is Germany of dirty US immigrants in the age of Trump?
3) Let's say I don't move with a phat relo package from my current employer and I want to bring stuff over. Could I reasonably throw $2000ish dollars at that problem and bring my life over? Or is it much more expensive than that? What if I ditch large furniture? How much to live in a nice, safe, central spot in Berlin?
4) Education: is it realistic to pursue a master's part time in Berlin? Do I need to be fluent in German? What if I had mediocre graduating GPA in the US (not horrible but I think I may have had right at a 3.0 out of 4.0 because of a bad freshman year, need to double check).
5) Any other things to look out for? I heard US taxes don't kick in for your first $100k of income (if you're lucky enough to make that much)?

Apologies again if no one gives a poo poo or this is the wrong place for this, but if anyone does want to help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

First: have you been to Berlin before? Why Berlin?

1.) I did mostly the same thing as you seven years ago, except I came here having already studied German, and had a place to live (with my then-boyfriend now-husband). It is realistic, but it is harder than you think -- both in terms of how lucky to have to be for the stars to align and have everything work out, and in terms of the emotional impact that emigration can have. It's often hard to explain what that feels like. The experience will change you, sometimes in ways you didn't quite expect.

2.) A transfer at your current company will, with absolute certainty, be the best way of going about this. You would have guaranteed employment and income (which I didn't have... I was a freelance IT dude, which in Berlin meant that I was unemployed save for teaching my landlady English two hours a week). I'm going to write the rest of this post assuming you are able to transfer with your current employer and not on the alternative.

At the beginning, your visa will be tied to your employment. Your initial visa application, even with sponsorship from your company, will need to go through what is called a Vorrangprüfung. Basically this means that there is an office of the state government (in your case, Berlin) that will review your application and decide if your job is something that is sufficiently in-demand, that your skills line up with it, that your pay is above a certain amount (when I went through it years ago it was like 42k gross annual salary minimum), and that there is a reasonable assumption that your job couldn't be filled by a German. Where this probably doesn't come into play is if your transfer status at your company is as an expat -- meaning there is a clear start and end date of your time in Germany, usually reserved for short-term relocations of like 6-12 months.

If your employment runs out, I believe you will have a short grace period to either find something else, or leave the country. I'm not sure how long this is, but I think it's pretty short, maybe like 60 days if that? After you've been in Germany on your visa for a certain amount of time (it was 3 years when I did it), your visa will become decoupled from your employment, meaning you will be free to take nearly any job offer without needing to go through the Vorrangprüfung again. Don't confuse this with a permanent residency visa, which it definitely isn't. Your visa will still be time-limited, usually in two-year increments. Quitting your job to do freelance work is more complicated, as a freelance visa is different than a normal visa that you would get as an employee. In order to freelance in Germany, you need to have a bunch of additional poo poo (just hit the ? under my username in this thread, I've listed the requirements several times for others asking about it), the most important of which are specific, concrete offers of work from at least two companies.

As an American immigrant, you will have an exponentially easier time of things than someone from, say, CIS/Africa/Asia/South America. There are countries where it is even easier (Canada, Australia), but in general being an American will help you more than hinder you. Nobody in the bureaucratic process will give a poo poo that you're an American in the age of Trump... but be prepared to hear about it all the loving time in your private life -- almost always sympathetically, but still.

Independently of being American, I gotta say that the Ausländerbehorde (Foreigner's Registration Office) is, without a doubt in my mind, the least happy and most depressing location I have ever had the misfortune of visiting, in my entire life. And it's apparently only gotten worse.

3.) What do you mean by "bring my life over"? You can forget moving furniture unless you're some kind of Romney. Sell your poo poo in the US (or, if you're concerned about your Berlin experiment failing, put it into long-term storage), don't bother bringing it over. My company has several American executives that have relocated here and literally none of them have brought furniture/car/etc. As far as cost of living in Berlin goes, this has gone up in recent years. It used to be considered quite cheap, but I think it's balanced out on the whole since then. When I lived there, we lived in generally nice places in Wilmersdorf (typical West Berlin neighborhood) and paid around 800ish a month for a one-bedroom apartment.

As far as being safe, I never once felt unsafe in Berlin, even in neighborhoods that don't generally have a good reputation. Berlin is going to shock you if all you've been exposed to so far is living in an American city, which will seem like a loving dystopian future streetcrime Judge Dredd nightmare in comparison to any German city.

4.) Part-time masters programs in English depend on your field of study. The most often part-time degree I've seen are evening MBA programs, but I'm sure some kind of compsci stuff exists as well, especially in a city like Berlin. You'll have to look up specific programs on the website of the universities in Berlin though. You'll only need German fluency if you're pursuing a master's degree in a program that is only offered in the German language (like a BWL, which is like a German MBA). Level of fluency depends on the university but I'd consider C1 (Advanced) to be a minimum for anything at that degree level.

As far as GPA: I'm not sure they'd care so much tbh, but I haven't applied for any master's programs here, so I have no idea. I had roughly the same GPA as you and nobody's batted an eye about anything since I've been here.

5.) US taxes absolutely -do- matter... though I'll be honest, I failed to do mine correctly up until... this year. As with all things involving the US tax code it's complicated and changes yearly depending on the whims of Congress, but:
  • You will always need to file a tax return each year if you have made income.
  • If you make under the threshold (currently 103k USD as of financial year 2018), you will not have to pay any tax. You'll get what's called a "Foreign Earned Income Exemption". Certain financials beyond a simple income might complicate this (like if you own property/have investments etc.) but I dunno, since I don't have any of those. The Exemption is made complicated if you live in a country with a lower tax rate than the US, but that's not the case with Germany and likely never will be.
  • If you earn over 103k USD, you will have to pay tax... but only from the threshold amount of 103k upwards. Meaning if you earn 150k, your first 103k will still be exempted by the Foreign Earned Income Exemption, and you'll be taxed solely on the 43k that you were over. HOWEVER, that 43k will be taxed at the same percent as the entire amount of 150k would have been if you didn't have the exemption.
  • Additionally to taxes: when you open a German bank account, your bank will ask you to provide your financial details from the US (including SSN) for reporting purposes to the IRS. There are two (relatively recent-ish?) laws that basically exist to target people who have foreign bank accounts and to make sure they aren't laundering anything or committing tax fraud by underreporting their income to the US government. What this basically means for you is that there is a form (potentially two forms) that need to be submitted to the Treasury Department's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network separately to your taxes each year - the FBAR and the FATCA. The FBAR (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts) needs to be submitted if, at any point in a tax year, your German bank account contained more than $10k USD. There is no payment or fine involved if you go over this (as my tax advisor said humorously, "the US ain't gonna punish you for being wealthy"), it's literally just reporting it... as my tax dude at H&R Block explained it to me, anyway. On top of that is the FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act), which takes the form of an additional form that you attach to your tax return. This one asks more questions about your finances (do you have investments? have you purchased anything above $200k this year? etc. etc.). More info on both of these are found here: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayers-with-foreign-assets-may-have-fbar-and-fatca-filing-requirements-in-june
  • And now the "good" news: as someone earning income abroad, every year you will automatically get a 2 month extension to the normal April 15th deadline to file your taxes.
  • And now the "bad" news: if you're a complete dumbass like me and misunderstand the requirements for years on end, then there are theoretical-but-not-very-likely consequences. If the IRS considers you "seriously delinquent" (meaning you owe them lots of money or have failed to report for like 5+ years), they could theoretically hinder you from renewing your passport should it expire while you're here. Ask me in about a week how this works out, as I'm currently waiting on mine. H&R Block says it's highly unlikely that I'd have any problems due to lack of reporting... and if I did have issues, I'd have learned about it at border control when I visited the US last fall).

As I mentioned earlier, I failed to do mine correctly until this year, and am sorta relaying info that I've received over the past few weeks from my tax advisor at H&R Block in Wiesbaden (they have offices there to help US soldiers, I guess). If you aren't rich and are just a normal worker, there's not likely to be any issues if you are late, and there's always a way to get back on the right track.

Also don't forget that you'll be paying German taxes. Honestly depending on your income I'd seriously recommend getting both a German tax advisor (Steuerberater) and an American one (H&R Block in my case) to handle this poo poo for you. I tried doing it all on my own and all it did was make me tremendously depressed and overwhelmed. The advisors aren't cheap, but imho the peace of mind is worth it. German taxes are, as mentioned, higher than the US, but not dramatically so.

Beyond that... remember that you'll earn less in Germany than you would have in the US. However, imo the other benefits of working in Germany are far greater than the raw income you'd have lost -- good statutory health insurance, much longer vacation times (the federal minimum is 4 weeks of vacation per year, but many companies go over this... my company has 6 weeks yearly), Sunday work is strongly regulated (for better or worse), and a much stronger social safety net in case you run into issues.

Edit: other things you probably haven't thought about but should consider:
  • Though you definitely don't need or even want a car in Berlin, there may be times when you want to drive a rental to go away for a weekend in the country or whatever. Your American drivers license allows you to rent a car and drive in Germany for, I believe, the first six months of your residency. After that, you are required to either a.) stop driving, b.) transfer your American license over to a German one*, or c.) go to driving school and get a German license the hard way, which costs $$$. The * on option B is because this option is only available to Americans who have a drivers license issued by a state that has a reciprocal agreement with the German government to recognize each others' drivers licenses. I come from Ohio, which does have an agreement with the German government. I'm finally getting around to transferring mine over later this year, but when I do, all that I theoretically will need is to have an eye test and potentially a first-aid certificate (which I already have). Once that happens, I will have to send my Ohio drivers license off to some German archive somewhere, where they will keep it as a sort of deposit for as long as I have a German drivers license (which isn't an issue, as you can drive with a German license in the US just fine if you only go back for the occasional visit). Residents of other states aren't so lucky (notably, California), and you'll have to go to driving school again.
  • Apartment searching in Germany is much different than in most of the US... especially in Berlin, which has a housing shortage and a ton of horror stories about finding a place. In the US the normal deposit on an apartment is one month's rent (at least where I come from) -- in Germany it's three. It's been a long-rear end time since I had to search for an apartment, but back then there were also realtor fees to consider if you went through a realtor... I think back then the fee was like 2.3x monthly rent, but I vaguely remember something about how that's been legally changed in the past few years. Apartment rental rates will also be advertised as either "warm" or "cold" -- "warm" meaning the rent includes heating costs, "cold" meaning it doesn't. It's also my experience (and I can't say that this is true all over the country) that electrical and water bills work differently here too. In the US I was always charged for electricity/water monthly based on how much I used. In my current rental agreement, both of those are part of my rent as "Nebenkosten" ("additional fees"), and once yearly I get a letter from the electric company that says "this is how much you were over/under for what you paid for, please send us more money/here's a small refund".
  • If you're living in an apartment in Berlin, a dryer might be considered a luxury item. I didn't have one until I moved into a much larger place on the other side of the country, because there was just no room for one. Hope you don't mind drying your clothes on a clothesline.
  • Likewise, you might run into a scenario where you have a dorm-room-sized refrigerator. You get used to it, honestly, and it really helps to cut down on the amount of food that goes to waste, as you only buy what you truly need. You might have a full-sized fridge though, but you're unlikely to have a huge rear end American-sized fridge.
  • Pretty much everything is closed on Sundays except restaurants. Again, you get used to it (and may even come to value it as a real day of rest), but it can sometimes be a pain. Likewise, Germany has more federal holidays than the US. Berlin has 10 - New Years Day, International Women's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, May Day, Ascension Day, Pentecost, German Unity Day, Christmas Day #1, and Christmas Day #2.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 18, 2019

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Drone posted:

awesomeness

Welp, can't ask for much of a better/timelier answer than this. Yeah, I was hoping I'd be able to bring stuff (I know someone who recently moved back to the US from new zealand and their company paid to relocate their stuff -- i think it took some months in a shipping container, but it made it) but the life experience is more important than my TV or couch or whatever. Would be nice to not have to get all new clothing though.

I'll probably have to re-read this post a few times to absorb everything, but seriously thanks for sharing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

an skeleton posted:

I'll probably have to re-read this post a few times to absorb everything, but seriously thanks for sharing.

I edited in some more stuff too :shobon: Re: clothing, when I came I brought a full-sized suitcase full of clothes, a suit bag for my suit and a few blazers, and a backpack stuffed with t-shirts, underwear, socks, and my laptop. Beyond that, nothin'. When I left the States I had ~$6k USD in my bank account, which given my basically-unemployed status in Berlin was exhausted within the first 4-ish months. I'd recommend $10k as a minimum if you can swing it.

Seriously if you have any questions about the process or what life's like as an American who has (probably permanently) relocated to Germany, hit me up!

Edit again: also re: Berlin being a place to learn the German language... it's definitely possible to immerse yourself in German in Berlin, but it would be easier in pretty much any other German city (with the possible exceptions of Hamburg and Frankfurt).

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 18, 2019

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
I don't work in software/IT, but there are a lot of tech companies/start-ups in Berlin. If you don't get a transfer via your company, you have a couple of options. As long as you have like $8-10,000 saved up, you can come over on a language study visa for like a year and you can learn German at the VHS while job searching. There is also some 6 month "job searching" visa for certain professions (maybe all, but IT should def. be included). You still have to do all the other visa poo poo, but you don't have to do language classes if you don't want to. Finally, as you are in IT, you probably have a better chance than some. The field has more of the kinds of jobs that will pay you above €42,000 (or whatever the threshold is now) so that you can qualify for a Blue Card. Having never gotten one, my understanding is that if you have a job offer from a company and it pays more than X amount, you don't have to jump through a bunch of immigration hurdles to get a work visa.

As for taxes, it's easy. You will pay more taxes on almost any amount of income as compared to the US, so you can either use the FEIE for the first $100,000 or just used Foreign Tax Credits (IMO better as you can still do stuff like contribute to a Roth IRA or get refundable tax credits if you go this route. Also, any extra (paid $5,000 to Germany but your US obligation was only $4,000) can be banked for 10 years to offset taxes you owe should you move back to the US) to offset your tax burden.

The tax advice assume you just have normal wage income and nothing crazy like a company or rental property, etc.

VVVVVVV Not knowing his exact job, IT/Software Development is a profession that qualifies for a Blue Card VVVVVVV

Magic City Monday fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 18, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Be careful, as a German visa (Aufenthaltserlaubnis mit Beschäftigung gestattet) doesn't also mean a Blue Card (which is mainly for academics and other "hochqualifizierte"). They are different, though very similar, things.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 18, 2019

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Drone posted:

Be careful, as a German visa (Aufenthaltserlaubnis mit Beschäftigung gestattet) doesn't also mean a Blue Card (which is mainly for academics and other "hochqualifizierte"). They are different, though very similar, things.

What's the blue card called in German? That's probably what I'll be coming over on.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Greatest Living Man posted:

What's the blue card called in German? That's probably what I'll be coming over on.

Blaue Karte EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

My gf and I are traveling through Germany for two weeks starting July 9th, and we'll essentially navigate the country counter-clockwise via Bacharach/Baden-Baden/Munich/Nurnberg/Dresden/Berlin. Munich and Berlin are the only cities on our itinerary for which we'll be staying multiple days. Any suggestions for things to do/see, especially for a far-left history/culture nerd like myself?