Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlos Rosado
Jul 3, 2007

My only real experience with Germany is Berlin. I seem to pick up on this sense that the rest of Germany kinda resents Berlins awesomeness. Maybe its just my experience but Berlin seems to be very "party happy go lucky" orientated... most people I would meet did not really work, they claimed to be painters, photographers, graphic designers, poets etc... all with all "these cool projects" but really they are all just stoners. I spent a few months there and Berliners were not nearly as industrious as I expected... it was all BBQs, driking in the park and going to very superficial "multi-culti festivals"... god I love that place

Is this accurate or am I just seeing what I want to see? are there other places in Germany that are as relaxed as Berlin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copperblue
May 21, 2003

Herr R. posted:

In rural Saxony they should look out for skinheads

This is one of the reasons I avoid eastern parts of Germany, other than Berlin.

What's your opinion on the NPD and how to address it's insanity? Is it getting better as the east continues to integrate with the west?

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

michigan jack posted:

Has there been any interest in the good American beers and brewers in Deutschland?

Hahahah, not at all. Most of my German friends are obsessed with beer and they still pretty much have no clue when it comes to beer. The moment I try to talk about American micro brews I just get a bunch of rolled eyes. As far as they are concerned, America is still Budweiser land. And no, I definitely don't come off as a beer snob when talking about it. It's just a simple mention here and there.

Germany has such a solid rep when it comes to beer, that people get pretty lazy when it comes to knowing anything about it. It definitely doesn't help that it's pretty much always one of the first few things a foreigner will mentioned when they go on their "Why I love Germany" rants. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, but it does get annoying. It's actually easier to get a wider variety of German beers at Bevmo (not sure if they exist outside of the west coast), than it is to find all of that poo poo in Germany. The typical "getränkemarkt"(drink market) will just have the big beers, which consist mainly of Pils and then some local stuff from the region. Want that great bavarian doppelbock from Ayinger even though you live way up in Hamburg? Tough poo poo.

America's beer rep is poo poo, so that usually really encourages people to make some kick rear end beer. The amount of creativity you find in American microbrews these days is amazing. I've been to a bunch of different countries at this point and still haven't found anything similar.

At the same time, that laziness I mentioned before can be a good thing. The moment I try to explain some of the cool poo poo you can find in the US beer-wise, I just get a "Why would you want all that? Just drink x,y, or z!" Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a lot more to German beer than pilsen, but aside from that, hefeweizen, and their darker versions you won't really encounter much else. For example, I don't really see people drinking much Kölsch until I get close to Köln.

It's not really a big deal, since beer is just something I no longer get excited about when I think about or am in Germany. Wait, gently caress that, I'm in Norway now, so even lovely German beer at this point has it's pluses! :/

Sooooo, Beer: America > Germany :colbert:

I don't even drink all that much anymore, but I can only let people talk poo poo about the states when it's actually deserved.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I've lived a total of 8 years in southern and central Germany, so hopefully I'm not too far off.

copperblue posted:

This is one of the reasons I avoid eastern parts of Germany, other than Berlin.

What's your opinion on the NPD and how to address it's insanity? Is it getting better as the east continues to integrate with the west?

I hope the OP doesn't mind me giving my perspective on this stuff, but the NPD is a joke for the most part. Sure, the lovely economy tends to get people blaming the immigrants for everything, but the NPD will NEVER become a threat.

When they march through town the police are called in massive numbers to protect the NPD from the Anti-fa goons. Granted the examples I'm using come from places that lean waaay to the left. Germany's history just won't allow for that poo poo to spread, even with the treat of the "islamisation" of Europe. Now in Holland or Denmark? Who knows...

moflika fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 23, 2009

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

moflika posted:

For example, I don't really see people drinking much Kölsch until I get close to Köln.

That might be due to the fact it tastes like water :D, and pretty much has a "girl's beer" reputation outside of the region (I've lived in northern and southwest Germany mostly).

I don't really see a problem with "Getränkemärkte" carrying only the more known stuff, you don't expect "normal" American liquor stores to carry novelty beers either, right? There's small breweries everywhere, just most people here won't find them exciting since they're used to having a decent selection. On the other hand, if you're into it, lots of pubs here make their own beer (yay that rhymed!) and I don't think they're worse than those from US "microbreweries".

That's also why I think there is little to no interest in imported beer in general - Germans ARE lazy, and why pay a lot more for something that's not distinctly more awesome than what you already have? (Well, there's foreign beer in foreign restaurants, but good American restaurants are rare :D)

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 23, 2009

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
German goon living in Berlin chiming in. I did not serve in the Bundeswehr but did civil service instead if someone has a question about that.

Carlos Rosado posted:

My only real experience with Germany is Berlin. I seem to pick up on this sense that the rest of Germany kinda resents Berlins awesomeness. Maybe its just my experience but Berlin seems to be very "party happy go lucky" orientated... most people I would meet did not really work, they claimed to be painters, photographers, graphic designers, poets etc... all with all "these cool projects" but really they are all just stoners. I spent a few months there and Berliners were not nearly as industrious as I expected... it was all BBQs, driking in the park and going to very superficial "multi-culti festivals"... god I love that place

Is this accurate or am I just seeing what I want to see? are there other places in Germany that are as relaxed as Berlin?

It really depends where you look, if you're only taking in Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg it could certainly seem that way. For a long time these neighborhoods have been among the best places for small underground artists to live, work and maybe even find an audience. Since it's very cheap to live there (though that's changing) it's no surprise that there's a ton of these people while only a fraction of them produce anything.

And on the topic of beer:
Beer is a very important part of the cultural identity. That's why you have Kölsch in Köln, Alt in Düsseldorf, Pils in northern Germany and Hefeweizen in the south. You can't get the Doppelbock from Bavaria in Hamburg because most people there wouldn't even think of buying it.

I think that most big mainstream beers in Germany are really lovely (however not as bad as Berliner Kindl...) but the local stuff is usually really nice. I would love to try some American Microbrews, we should get an international beer exchange going or something.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn
gently caress, now I want Lütje Lagen and people to drink them and spill them everywhere with. I miss Germany a lot, I had so much fun there. :[

Okay new question: Why is there always corn on the square pizza?

Polonium
Jul 17, 2007
That KILLS me.
^^
Eww, Lüttje Lagen, I once got so wasted on those. No good memories..
And for corn on pizza, I don't know either. It's gruesome.

Another German goon checking in.
I didn't serve any time at all, because I'm a girly girl, but I was born and raised in Baden-Württemberg, have lived some time in Ostfriesland (i.e. German coast of the North Sea) and am now in Hannover. So I know quite a bit about local specialties..

Nasenbiber posted:

And on the topic of beer:
Beer is a very important part of the cultural identity. That's why you have Kölsch in Köln, Alt in Düsseldorf, Pils in northern Germany and Hefeweizen in the south. You can't get the Doppelbock from Bavaria in Hamburg because most people there wouldn't even think of buying it.
That seems to change a bit, though.
Take for example Rothaus (dubbed "Zäpfle"), which is a local brand from the Black Forest that somehow became kind of a trend beer. I know several places in Hamburg where they serve it - and given how many "Exilschwaben" are living in Berlin, it wouldn't surprise me to find it there regularly, too.

Polonium fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
whats the deal with germany's attitude to weed? seriously, people react like it's Heroin or something. People freak out when they find out I smoke weed, but then they go out to the disko on the weekend and drink themselves into a coma.

legally, people are allowed to possess 5 grams of weed without criminal charges in Nord-Rhein Westfalen, where I am, but pretty much no one smokes :/

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
I'm a German major and I'm going to be doing my studying abroad in Bavaria. Am I going to end up with a stupid accent? (no offense if you're Bayerisch yourself, it's not as bad as the Swiss accent)

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle

Shimmergloom posted:

Depends on what you want to say :D

haha I just now realized I meant to say Schwanz

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Frank Dillinger posted:

whats the deal with germany's attitude to weed? seriously, people react like it's Heroin or something. People freak out when they find out I smoke weed, but then they go out to the disko on the weekend and drink themselves into a coma.

legally, people are allowed to possess 5 grams of weed without criminal charges in Nord-Rhein Westfalen, where I am, but pretty much no one smokes :/

You hang with the wrong crowd. Also how much do you pay for the gram on average?

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

Polonium posted:

That seems to change a bit, though.
Take for example Rothaus (dubbed "Zäpfle"), which is a local brand from the Black Forest that somehow became kind of a trend beer. I know several places in Hamburg where they serve it - and given how many "Exilschwaben" are living in Berlin, it wouldn't surprise me to find it there regularly, too.

Yes, but I think such cases often go hand in hand with a conscious break of that tradition and it's still really surprising how many pubs only serve one or two local beers, Beck's and maybe another mainstream beer. Especially older people still carry a very strong local patriotism (just think of Köln and Düsseldorf) when it comes to beer.

... sorry for the beer derail ^^

safety dan posted:

I'm a German major and I'm going to be doing my studying abroad in Bavaria. Am I going to end up with a stupid accent? (no offense if you're Bayerisch yourself, it's not as bad as the Swiss accent)

Since you're probably going to a bigger city the accent is gonna be pretty mild compared to rural areas. But you're probably gonna pick up a couple of expressions, I guess it depends on how established you German is.

loose-fish fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 23, 2009

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

safety dan posted:

Not being mean, but my bet is your American tinge will probably cover up the bavarian one. =) Agreeing with Nasenbiber though, accents are pretty mild on young people in bigger cities.

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005
How do Germans feel about the British? I'm having difficulty describing it but most people in England love to hate Germany in a friendly kind of way. Not that we don't like German people, but we absolutely love beating you in sports. Its a rivallry obviously in place due to World War II.

I must say though that when I've been in Europe, Germans are some of the nicest people ever on the whole.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

Nasenbiber posted:

Since you're probably going to a bigger city the accent is gonna be pretty mild compared to rural areas. But you're probably gonna pick up a couple of expressions, I guess it depends on how established you German is.

I'll be dead before I say "Pfüat enk".

Polonium
Jul 17, 2007
That KILLS me.

Galsia posted:

How do Germans feel about the British? I'm having difficulty describing it but most people in England love to hate Germany in a friendly kind of way. Not that we don't like German people, but we absolutely love beating you in sports. Its a rivallry obviously in place due to World War II.
I think the feeling is mutual.
I have yet to encounter someone really, seriously hating the British, but I have quite a few friends joking about you "island apes" or your lacking dental hygiene.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

niethan posted:

You hang with the wrong crowd. Also how much do you pay for the gram on average?

not really supposed to discuss prices, but it is the same as two packs of Camels.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

safety dan posted:

As others have said unless you go to a more rural area you won't see it too much. The schools (even in rural areas) all speak Hochdeutsch so you shouldn't have a problem. And Bayrisch isn't so much an accent, it's closer to a different language than anything. I had friends from northern Germany come and visit for Oktoberfest and they couldn't understand about 1/2 the stuff that was being said due to Bayrisch being so different.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

Koaxke posted:

As others have said unless you go to a more rural area you won't see it too much. The schools (even in rural areas) all speak Hochdeutsch so you shouldn't have a problem. And Bayrisch isn't so much an accent, it's closer to a different language than anything. I had friends from northern Germany come and visit for Oktoberfest and they couldn't understand about 1/2 the stuff that was being said due to Bayrisch being so different.

Oh poo poo I can only understand like half of what's being said anyway.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

safety dan posted:

Oh poo poo I can only understand like half of what's being said anyway.

Here's a nice little example for you:

German: Ich möchte ein Bier.
Bavarian: I mog a Bier.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Another German here, posting from Magdeburg (in the spooky neonazi-riddled East, oooOOOOooo). There's going to be more of us in this thread than Americans, at this rate.

King Skinny Pimp posted:

gently caress, now I want Lütje Lagen and people to drink them and spill them everywhere with. I miss Germany a lot, I had so much fun there. :[

Because corn is delicious and some people don't know where to stop.

I don't drink or smoke so I can't really comment on most of the last page or so (although if the people you know are shocked at the idea of recreational hemp products, you know unusual people); but I can pile on a little more stuff about civilian service, which in my case was 9 months of simple work (on about the order of pushing wheelchairs, moving luggage and crates full of files around the place, etc.) at a hospital focusing mostly on rehabilitation after orthopaedic surgery (hip and knee replacements especially). I had a fairly positive experience of it, although from what I hear there were far worse places I could have ended up in terms of workload and the regular staff's attitude to zivis.

There are definitely still worse places for this in Europe than Germany - Greece, for example, is a fairly bad country to pick for being born in if you intend to avoid military service when you grow up, although it used to be worse still. See also and especially: Turkey, Russia.

I did really hate the military doctor who did the pre-service examination (though not the full one since I declared in advance that I was going to refuse military service, thank god). Faux-jovial patronizing old bastard.

Thibaw
Jul 21, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I know the Nazi thing is beaten to death but,

1) They say the west tends to be more liberal and conciliatory about the Holocaust and anti-semitism vs. the east which never went through such soul searching due to the cold war and the Russians not guilt tripping them (hence why neo nazis are more present in the east and like to play the victim card). Has there been a change in the attitude (I read that it was a problem where a lot of women leave the east to seek out jobs in the west and rest of europe)?

2) Other than the Dutch, are there other nationalities who have heavily stereotyped you or discriminated you?

3) Being in the military, do you find certain elements gravitate towards it? For example you mentioned the violence thing, do some people with "itchy trigger fingers" or "gun nuts" join up the military for easy firearm access? Do certain right wingers tend to join?

1. Well, this is a difficult field. At the moment there are some regions in the east where I would not want to live. But some other regions gained some prosperity and with the prosperity also the political landscape changed to the better.

2. Some Politicians in Poland try to gain popularity among their people with attacks on germany and by propagating stereotypes. And they are quite successful at times.

3. Because the compulsory servis has lost much of its importance ond only a small part of the young people do the service in the military, the balance has indeed shifted. Still there are not too many gun nuts or trigger happy people in the military. But there is a tendence, that people join the military if the have trouble finding a job elsewhere, for example if the were rejected trying to join the police(standards are pretty high there compared to military) and the young men from eastern germany are overrepresented in the military. The "right-wingers" you mention have to conceal their attitude to get accepted and its not allowed for any soldier to influence his comrades into any political direction.

Zedd posted:

How often do people confuse German and Dutch if you talk to foreign people, I get it all the time that they think I speak german.

Also being Dutch myself+ the people near me dont dislike germans at all, its mostly a running joke that flares around big soccer matches.

I was always correctly identified in the past. Glad to hear that you and your friends dont dislike germans.

Readman posted:

First of all, all of the Germans I've ever known have been incredibly awesome and great people. I can't say I've ever met a German I disliked.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about European integration? What place do you see Germany taking in a more united Europe?

Thank you. I like the european idea. At the moment, germany contributes most to the whole thing, politically and financially. I would like to see the other countries to follow this example. France and Germany should keep their efforts up in uniting europe.

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

do you like mayo on your chips?
also what is that drink called that was like coke and orange fanta mixed? mezzo mix or something, do they still do that?

German food loving owns

POMMES MIT MAYO BITTE

Thank you. Kein mayo, danke! Yes, its called mezzo mix or spezi. Yes, they still do that.

Argali posted:

How's the job market there right now?

How are your newspapers doing? In the U.S. all of them are dying a slow death and I'm curious if it's the same there.

Job market is still stable. Experts expect that a moderate decline will happen in near future, when government support is exhausted. The newspapers are doing not too well, but no major newspaper has gone bancrupt yet.

fret logic posted:

What can you tell me about Aachen? My family is from there and I've always felt much closer to the german side of my family and the small amount of traditions they still keep.

I've wanted to move there to live for a long time but somewhat recently I decided to forget about it because of how conservative Germany is. Am I wrong or is it conservative along the lines of America, or worse? I'm genuinely interested in the political climate of Germany and how progressive it is comparatively. Thanks!

also

Ich habe ein kleine Schlange (this is probably wrong)

Cant tell you too much about Aachen, I have never been there. Germans are not conservative at all in the bigger cities. Only in the smaller cities and on the countryside.

Movendi posted:

Why is it very difficult to...
... transportation info.

I feel sorry. By *edit*coincidence*edit* , my dad is the chef of the Munich puplic transport organisation "MVV". I will send him your complain. Photos in clubs, public toilets.. no idea.

Nathilus posted:

Could you explain how the food quality is different? I can't wrap my head around you not being able to find food that meets your quality standards in the US. Unless you mean that you just don't like the way most food in the US is made, but even this doesn't make much sense with all the variety. Or do you mean that the actual ingredients, like produce and such, were not up to your standards?

Well, I must correct myself. My last visit was to Aspen, and we had no trouble there. But when I visited Florida two years ago, it was a real pain. It was difficult to find good bread, fruits or vegetables. 3 out 4 Restaurants we tried were rather disappointing and the breakfast in the hotel was a pain.

Xealot posted:

I would also like to know this.

Good american beers??

Tias posted:

Could you please give me the basic low-down on the Bundeskriminalamt? Things like service weapons, rank names, reknowned cases they have worked and/or solved, stuff like that.

I have a thread for it, check it out please. I'd be ever so grateful if you could help me out:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3202223

I will check your thread later and help you out.

Carlos Rosado posted:

Berlin is unique, but all bigger cities are cool and relaxed.

copperblue posted:

The good thing about idiots is: Their own stupidity keeps them from beeing dangerous. I start to worry when smart people start joining the NPD, and this wont happen anytime soon.

King Skinny Pimp posted:

Is it?

Frank Dillinger posted:

whats the deal with germany's attitude to weed? seriously, people react like it's Heroin or something.

Former friend of mine landed in closed psychiatric facility due to his cannabis abuse. But alcohol is definately not better. I dont drink alcohol and I dont do any drugs, illegal or not. But I dont have any prejudices, most of my friends smoked weed regularly in the past and they are all succesful in life (except for that one mentioned above).

safety dan posted:

Accent is cool, especially as a foreigner. Just learn to say "Oachkatzlschwoaf" properly...

Galsia posted:

I must say though that when I've been in Europe, Germans are some of the nicest people ever on the whole.

I speak for myself: I think the british are completely nuts. I have been in London twice, you guys are just crazy. The SUN is the worst newspaper on the planet. But you see I am making fun here. And I visited London a second time, because I liked it the first time. In general, germans like GB very much, don't forget: The royals have german origins and Mountbattens original name was Battenberg.

Thibaw fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 23, 2009

Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 14, 2009

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.

Nasenbiber posted:

German goon living in Berlin chiming in. I did not serve in the Bundeswehr but did civil service instead if someone has a question about that.

'sup Berlin and civil service buddy? :haw:

Can I chime in too? Darf ich auch mitmachen?

I'm studying at the Berlin University of Technology, which is one of the universities with the largest group of foreign students in Germany, if someone has questions about stuff like that.

Thibaw
Jul 21, 2009
The BKA(Bundeskriminalamt)

Tasks:

- Coordination of Crimefighting on national and international Level by providing a hub for information exchange and a central authority for criminal investigation departments

- Support for the Bundesländer with the prevention and prosecution of crimes happening on national level, or of crimes of major significance.

- Research and Development of new crime fighting techniques

- Interface between national and foreign police forces.

- Protectiong Members of the Constituional institutions of the Federal Republic of Germany (for example the bodyguards of the chancellor are BKA agents)

Ranks:

Kriminalkommissar – KK
Kriminaloberkommissar – KOK
Kriminalhauptkommissar – KHK
Erster Kriminalhauptkommissar – EKHK
Kriminalrat – KR
Kriminaloberrat – KOR
Kriminaldirektor – KD
Leitender Kriminaldirektor – LKD

For higher ranks it is less likely to see any action. If your ficitonal character has an university degree, he is probably Kriminalrat or Kriminaloberrat. Without degree is is probably Kriminalkommisar or Kriminaloberkommisar.

Weapons/Equipment:

A wide variety, they adapt to the requirements. Your fictional character can pick whatever he wants. SIG 226, SIG 228, SIG 239 Walther P99, H&K P10, H&K USP, Glock 17 are reasonable choices for example. Just dont pick a large calibre and stay away from guns with small ammo count.

Cases:

A recent case is the arrest of the so called "Sauerland-Zelle" a group of islamic terrorists that wanted to produce significant amounts of TATP and use it for bombings. However, the BKA got notice of their plans very early and observed them for quite a long time. After the terrorists had acquired significant quantities of H202, the BKA agents secretly replaced the chemicals with normal water to reduce the threat. The trial is taking place at the moment.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,504837,00.html

Shimmergloom
May 20, 2007

Galsia posted:

Have to agree an what another poster said: we love to hate you in a loving way too - I find Great Britain and the British are awesome people and I love visiting the UK.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Thibaw posted:

Germans are not conservative at all in the bigger cities. Only in the smaller cities and on the countryside.

I was in Germany as a kid (in the 90's) visiting relatives and they had this awesome little river flowing right past their property. I'm from Southern California and if its not flooding and mudsliding here, everything's pretty dry as a bone, so having this river there was AWESOME. On the last day we were there I discovered they had this inflatable raft, and I really wanted them to inflate it so I could take it out.

"Are you crazy? We can't run the air compressor today, it's Sunday! The neighbors will think we're working!"

:sigh:

Thibaw posted:

By accident, my dad is the chef of the Munich puplic transport organisation "MVV".

You mean "By coincidence" unless you really mean your dad didn't intend to get the job but somehow ended up in it anyway. No offense, your English is way better than my German. My mom was Bavarian (from Prien am Chiemsee, what's it like there, Koaxke?) and now when I try to use the little German I learned in childhood I never know if I'm unintelligible because I'm making poo poo up or because I learned a bunch of weird Bavarian words :D.

Thibaw posted:

Well, I must correct myself. My last visit was to Aspen, and we had no trouble there. But when I visited Florida two years ago, it was a real pain. It was difficult to find good bread, fruits or vegetables. 3 out 4 Restaurants we tried were rather disappointing and the breakfast in the hotel was a pain.

I love bread in Germany. I haven't visited there in more than a decade but I still remember how goddamned awesome it is. Wherever we stayed there was always a great little bakery with fresh bread a couple minutes walk from the house. Ich mochte ein semmel!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Thibaw posted:

The BKA(Bundeskriminalamt)

Tasks:

- Coordination of Crimefighting on national and international Level by providing a hub for information exchange and a central authority for criminal investigation departments

- Support for the Bundesländer with the prevention and prosecution of crimes happening on national level, or of crimes of major significance.

- Research and Development of new crime fighting techniques

- Interface between national and foreign police forces.

- Protectiong Members of the Constituional institutions of the Federal Republic of Germany (for example the bodyguards of the chancellor are BKA agents)

Ranks:

Kriminalkommissar – KK
Kriminaloberkommissar – KOK
Kriminalhauptkommissar – KHK
Erster Kriminalhauptkommissar – EKHK
Kriminalrat – KR
Kriminaloberrat – KOR
Kriminaldirektor – KD
Leitender Kriminaldirektor – LKD

For higher ranks it is less likely to see any action. If your ficitonal character has an university degree, he is probably Kriminalrat or Kriminaloberrat. Without degree is is probably Kriminalkommisar or Kriminaloberkommisar.

Weapons/Equipment:

A wide variety, they adapt to the requirements. Your fictional character can pick whatever he wants. SIG 226, SIG 228, SIG 239 Walther P99, H&K P10, H&K USP, Glock 17 are reasonable choices for example. Just dont pick a large calibre and stay away from guns with small ammo count.

Cases:

A recent case is the arrest of the so called "Sauerland-Zelle" a group of islamic terrorists that wanted to produce significant amounts of TATP and use it for bombings. However, the BKA got notice of their plans very early and observed them for quite a long time. After the terrorists had acquired significant quantities of H202, the BKA agents secretly replaced the chemicals with normal water to reduce the threat. The trial is taking place at the moment.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,504837,00.html

Thanks man, you're the best! :3:

Edit: Just wanted to pipe in that I got to Leipzig every year for the WGT festival, and I rarely if ever worry about nazi skins. Sure they pop up now and again but you staying away out of fear is letting them win IMHO.

Tias fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 23, 2009

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Germany seems to be the origin of most of the modern "Euro" boardgames - do a lot more people in Germany play such boardgames than elsewhere?

Also, from playing online, Germans seem to play at a much quicker pace than everyone else - is this also true in real life?

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Frank Dillinger posted:

One of my roomates in the dorm was growing pot on the railing of our balcony, in full view (mostly) of the road. Nobody ever said anything, and he sat outside and smoked a spliff every day without fail. Pot ain't a big thing in Niedersachsen, apparently.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
What do you think of Andrea Merkel? I'm taking a Western European course and she seems like the blandest person with the most boring agenda ever-not that any of the other candidates are any better.

Is the right wing gaining momentum in Germany?

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

When a German girl turns fifteen, does her family celebrate with a quinceañera or similar?

Krakened
Dec 8, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Sorry mate, I've got a few questions. I apologize if some questions make me sound like an rear end of a tourist.

Next year I will be going for a two week holiday in Germany. Me and my dad are planning to go by train most of the time, and stay at hostels (we are going on the cheap). Are there any scenic train routes that you can recommend us taking? If possible, can you recommend ones that go near/on/through the mountains?

We would also like to visit the gothic cathederals, but have no idea where to start. Which state in has the most popular cathederals and architecture? Is there any one building that you would recommend anyone to go and see?

Where are the best pubs and clubs in Germany?
What are the girls like over there?
Are there places in Germany where you would NOT recommend people to go? Further, are there times when I shouldn't be out walking the streets, even with another person?
Do a lot of people speak English as a second language there?
We would really, really like to see one of those beautiful little villages right up in the mountains. Can you recommend me one?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

When did you start learning English? Also, how much harder is it really to learn english than say French or Spanish?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Krakened posted:

Sorry mate, I've got a few questions. I apologize if some questions make me sound like an rear end of a tourist.

Next year I will be going for a two week holiday in Germany. Me and my dad are planning to go by train most of the time, and stay at hostels (we are going on the cheap). Are there any scenic train routes that you can recommend us taking? If possible, can you recommend ones that go near/on/through the mountains?

We would also like to visit the gothic cathederals, but have no idea where to start. Which state in has the most popular cathederals and architecture? Is there any one building that you would recommend anyone to go and see?

Are there places in Germany where you would NOT recommend people to go? Further, are there times when I shouldn't be out walking the streets, even with another person?
We would really, really like to see one of those beautiful little villages right up in the mountains. Can you recommend me one?

You can knock out two in one if you're down by Munich. A great little village is called Benediktbeuern and it has an awesome cathedral in it that was built back in like the 600s. The village itself is over by Bad Tölz

AlecEiffel
Jul 21, 2008
What I initially wanted to ask in my first response to this topic was...

What's something neat or cool that is from the United States but you don't see often in Germany? Something that could be a gift especially.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

sn00ke posted:

What do you think of Andrea Merkel? I'm taking a Western European course and she seems like the blandest person with the most boring agenda ever-not that any of the other candidates are any better.

Angela, not Andrea. As an American who knows very little about her I find her kind of endearing.

\/\/\/ That's one of the reasons she's endearing. Angie :3:

MINT WIZARD fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 24, 2009

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I just know her as being on the business end of an awkward Bush massage

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

sn00ke posted:

she seems like the blandest person with the most boring agenda ever-not that any of the other candidates are any better.

I love Angie <3 She never tries to woo people with smooth talking and attitude, and even if she's enthusiastic about something, she'll aways stay cool and understated. (I loved her "we found a very, very good, almost historical compromise" after the G20 summit, when everyone else was talking about "turning points" and "documents of action"). Too bad her party mostly sucks :D

And no, the right wing has always been bubbling somewhere, but in fact it's the leftists that are getting into focus. Even though I hate it when my boyfriend calls Germany "socialist", it IS definitely getting more social than anything else right now. Lets wait and see till election sunday!

Thibaw
Jul 21, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

Germany seems to be the origin of most of the modern "Euro" boardgames - do a lot more people in Germany play such boardgames than elsewhere?

Also, from playing online, Germans seem to play at a much quicker pace than everyone else - is this also true in real life?

Boardgames are still very popluar in Germany, but I do not think that Germans live at a faster pace.

sn00ke posted:

I wont vote her party on the next sundays elections. ANd no, the right wing is losing some momentum at the moment and maybe they dont win the elections. 4 Weeks ago it looked like the would win them for sure.

Contingency Plan posted:

When a German girl turns fifteen, does her family celebrate with a quinceañera or similar?

No =)

Krakened posted:

Are there any scenic train routes that you can recommend us taking? If possible, can you recommend ones that go near/on/through the mountains?

Which state in has the most popular cathederals and architecture? Is there any one building that you would recommend anyone to go and see?

There are hundreds of scenic train routes, so I cant reccomend you anything specific. You could buy a book like :
http://www.amazon.de/Deutschlands-sch%C3%B6nste-Eisenbahnen-Traumstrecken-zwischen/dp/3765470953/ref=pd_sim_b_5
Its in German, but you will recognize the names of the places and it has lots of photographies.

Both the Münster in Ulm and the Dome in Cologne are quite spectacular. Munich and Berlin both have lots of interesting architecture. Frankfurt am Main has some interesting modern architectutre and is the only german city with a notable skyline.

In Augsburg you want to hit the Maximilianstraße. Nightlife is centered there. In Munich there is a place called "Kultfabrik" in the East with LOTS of Clubs and Discotheques. I got the impression, that girls are more relaxed in US than here, but if you go out, you will have fun(they relax when they are a bit drunk and alkohol is very available here).

Well, there are Places where you dont want to go. But when you do sightseeing or you go out in the evening, its unlikely that you will encounter such places. Just stay where the people are. And the knowledge of how to avoid fights not more important in germany as it is in the USA. If you are in a group of 2, you are safe everywhere. Germans dont carry guns =)

All germans learn english at school. So you can always hope to be able to communicate.

You are more likely to find beatiful little villages in the mountains in Austria. But you could visit Grainau at the Zugspitze(germanys tallest mountain). You can go hiking from there to see beatiful places and many interesting places are within a 100km range from there. https://www.grainau.de

icantfindaname posted:

When did you start learning English? Also, how much harder is it really to learn english than say French or Spanish?

In 5th grade at school, Almost 2 decades ago. I found french much harder. Had to learn french three years in school and cant speak a single word.

AlecEiffel posted:

What I initially wanted to ask in my first response to this topic was...

What's something neat or cool that is from the United States but you don't see often in Germany? Something that could be a gift especially.

The United States is such a big country, I suggest you bring something regional from your place. Something that you would bring to friends that live more than 500km away from you within the states. When I visited the US, I also got me some local souveignirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 14, 2009

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.

Contingency Plan posted:

Not exactly, but there is Confirmation (if you're Protestant), Communion (if you're Catholic) and the so-called "Jugendweihe" in eastern Germany, if you're Atheist.