Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gi-
Aug 18, 2004

Cross_ posted:

Skip Frankfurt if you can. Stuttgart, Nuernberg, and Muenchen are worth spending a few days in.

We will try to only spend a few hours in Frankfurt on the day when we fligh in, so we aren't spending too much time there.

Thanks everyone for great suggestions and feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

unixbeard posted:

i find this the case when having conversations with Germans (currently living in Germany). Often I think they have to focus quite a lot just to understand my English, so much so that the jokes sneaks by them.

Also, at least around here in Europe we have the joke about "shortest books in history", one of them lists Swedish war heroes, one is "100 years of German humor", and there's couple more :smugbert:
(many Germans are actually very funny people, but maybe they aren't the greatest in understanding various kinds of humor)

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I saw this joke and it made me laugh:

quote:

A young English couple who are unable to have a child end up adopting a German infant.
They call him Dieter.

One year goes by and all is well.
Two years go by and all is well apart from the fact that the child has not uttered one word.
Three , four, five, six years go by and still no word. The parents have visited Docktors and
speech therapists, sill not word and no medical problem could be found.

The parents give up and accept that their lovely Dieter will never speak.
One day when he was 10 his mother after making him some soup, sits down to watch TV.
There standing in the doorway is Dieter, with the bowl of soup in his hands.
"Zis zoup is a little cold, muther" he exclaims.
She jumps for joy, hugs her dear boy and asks him why he has never before spoke.
He replies: "Up until now everyzing has been zatisfaktory"

satiat
Sep 17, 2009
What is the attitude towards tourists who can only pronounce a couple of phrases? Will people try to speak English, or just ignore the dumb tourists?

What kind of cultural food is there besides sausage and sauerkraut? I cannot say that I am a fan of either, but all the bakeries mentioned have my mouth watering.

Are there any societal dos and don’t? Such as flicking someone the middle finger as an insult, or any other taboos?

How much does a train ticket usually run? Say, from Munich to Berlin, or into another country?

My friends and I are planning a group trip to Europe, and it seems that my boyfriend and I will be along for the German portion of it (the other couple will be doing family stuff while we entertain ourselves). Neither of us speak any German, and know nothing about the country. I plan on doing research as much as I can, but I know I won’t remember it all. Whenever I find out what region we are going to, it will become so much easier to plan.

Honestly, dumb everything down as much as you can for me – I thought Bavaria was a country before I read this thread.

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

satiat posted:

What is the attitude towards tourists who can only pronounce a couple of phrases? Will people try to speak English, or just ignore the dumb tourists?

Well, Germany is not France, so as far as I know people will make an effort to speak English with you if they can. Most people do. Obviously the young people more than the 60+

quote:

Are there any societal dos and don’t? Such as flicking someone the middle finger as an insult, or any other taboos?

I assume you're from US or some other Western country. The cultural differences are very small, you can just be yourself without having to worry about such things. One of the only things is speaking about Nazis or the holocaust in the wrong place, but that's kind of obvious.

quote:

How much does a train ticket usually run? Say, from Munich to Berlin, or into another country?

Can't remember, check http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

quote:

Neither of us speak any German, and know nothing about the country. I plan on doing research as much as I can, but I know I won’t remember it all. Whenever I find out what region we are going to, it will become so much easier to plan.

You don't have to worry about not speaking any German. I've been in countries like Korea where 99,9% of the people basically speak no English whatsoever, or any other language that I would understand, but things are still pretty easy...and most Germans speak decent English.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

satiat posted:

Absolutely no problem. People will understand your mangled German and then switch the conversation to English themselves because they love to practice their English. Just don't expect the majority to be able to hold a decent conversation (they will try, though).

quote:

What kind of cultural food is there besides sausage and sauerkraut? I cannot say that I am a fan of either, but all the bakeries mentioned have my mouth watering.
That really depends on the region you're visiting, just like cultural/traditional food differs in the US (assuming you're from there). In Munich try Weißwurst (white sausage) with Brezn and sweet mustard, in Berlin try Currywurst. In any given town just ask someone for a restaurant with traditional cuisine and you should find plenty of options that are neither sausage nor sauerkraut. Also, yes, the bakeries are great and don't forget the beer (in every small town there's a brewery).

quote:

What vanDeet said. Just use your common sense and you won't have a problem. No stupid "Hey, you all Nazis, right?"/"You lost the war!" jokes because most Germans don't find that funny.

quote:

Trains are expensive. Munich-Berlin (one way) at full fare will cost >100 EUR per person on the fast train. However, there are discounts available if you book in advance (up to 50%). All the different ticket types, their restrictions, their pricing and discount-ability are too complicated to explain here so try the Bahn.de website or maybe some specific train travel website like seat61.com.

You'll have a great time in Germany! It's a beautiful country with lots to see and do, so don't worry too much about it.

If you have any further questions just shoot!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

satiat posted:

Honestly, dumb everything down as much as you can for me – I thought Bavaria was a country before I read this thread.

Well, tbh it kinda is... :D

palmy
Jan 24, 2007

Some friends and I are planning a year-long trip to Germany. To live there and work.
If I were to get a job in the service industry (like a waiter), would residents be ordering in English, or should I learn some German?

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

palmy posted:

Some friends and I are planning a year-long trip to Germany. To live there and work.
If I were to get a job in the service industry (like a waiter), would residents be ordering in English, or should I learn some German?

How would you like going to a restaurant and having a guy coming to your table and asking to take your order in Dutch?

Unless it's a Dutch restaurant in the Netherlands- well, you see my point.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

palmy posted:

Visa questions aside, this is a terrible idea.

If you really think you can just get a job waiting tables to cover your living expenses as you go, you have a lot more planning to do.

In any city in Germany that has enough internationals to create a significant demand for English-language bars/pubs/restaurants/etc. there will be more than enough students competing for those jobs and unlike you they speak German, English and maybe a third language.

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

satiat posted:

Just go into any restuarant and order Schnitzel (Pork, Chicken etc). Then have a German beer with it.

I've gone to painful effort to try and cook Schnitzel at home and I think I have it cracked. Nicest meal you can eat.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Why do germans giggle every time I and other americans say "schnitzel?" :(

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Pronunciation and the surprise that a US-American would know a rather strange word like "schnitzel"?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
if you're traveling about germany or europe in general look into flying too, when I flew from munich to berlin it was cheaper than my train ticket back to munich.

Schnitzel is pretty amazing. If you visit Bavaria be sure to try some Leberkaes :)

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

dooshy posted:

Why do germans giggle every time I and other americans say "schnitzel?" :(

Hope you're not pronouncing it "Schniedel".

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

dxt posted:

if you're traveling about germany or europe in general look into flying too, when I flew from munich to berlin it was cheaper than my train ticket back to munich.

Schnitzel is pretty amazing. If you visit Bavaria be sure to try some Leberkaes :)

Now I'm getting hungry. http://www.food-from-bavaria.de/en/reg_spez/einzelprodukt.php?an=19&display_lang=en

Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 14, 2009

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
You can also try some (since the 70s) quintessential Berlin food and get yourself some Döner Kebap :haw:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

palmy posted:

English teaching and translation are much better bets than waiting tables. Hope you have an EU passport.

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

You can also try some (since the 70s) quintessential Berlin food and get yourself some Döner Kebap :haw:
Yeah, good German food is relatively easy to come by in the US but good Turkish food is not. So, don't miss out on those Döners.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 4, 2010

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
One more German goon reporting in.

I was born, raised and still live in Magdeburg, the capital of Saxony-Anhalt. So if anyone has questions about, well, East Germany/Ex-GDR stuff, I can answer those.

We're not all xenophobic neonazis, honest! :)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Gatac posted:

We're not all xenophobic neonazis, honest! :)
That's what you want us to believe!

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

schoenfelder posted:

Pronunciation and the surprise that a US-American would know a rather strange word like "schnitzel"?

So what about the non-US Americans?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Cjones posted:

So what about the non-US Americans?
We don't have too many visitors from other parts of the Americas. But I guess the same reasons, though I guess a Spanish/Portuguese/French pronunciation doesn't sound that unfamiliar.

Honestly, any visitor who knows some German and/or tries to speak some German is something totally unexpected, especially if they use rather strange words like "schnitzel". We probably think it's very flattering and the pronunciation is cute. Combine this with the fact that we know our language is very difficult and do not have any national pride or self-esteem and the result will be giggling. It's really like the fat, ugly girl in school who for the first time gets a compliment and doesn't know how to react.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my arse, I don't know...

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

schoenfelder posted:

[we] do not have any national pride or self-esteem

drat, how did that happen :ohdear:

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

vanDeet posted:

drat, how did that happen :ohdear:
Something about them :jewish:... (please, I'm not an anti-Semite, don't judge me :ohdear: :germany:)

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, feeling guilty over the actions of the people in the Third Reich is still a huge deal in Germany. Some of the fallout is that prominently displaying a German flag or talking about national pride will get you lumped in with "that crowd" quite quickly. This isn't helped by the fact that since we banned most of the symbols and slogans of the actual Nazis, the neonazis and their sympathizers have been hiding behind this kind of ultra-nationalism.

As for foreigners speaking German, you might as well accept that you will never be mistaken for a local no matter how hard you work at it. German depends a lot on being a native speaker so you pick up an intuitive understanding of grammar rather than trying to somehow make sense of the massive amount of rules you need to learn. Apparently, a couple years ago someone interviewed German people on the street and asked them what grammatical grammar made-up German-sounding words were. The results were incredibly consistent, so you might say that as a native speaker you internalize the complex underlying ruleset so well that you can even make dead-on guesses about features of words that do not actually exist. And even if you somehow manage to duplicate that as a foreign speaker, your accent will be off.

All that said, though, learning to speak German well enough to make yourself understood isn't very hard, and most Germans I've met are delighted when someone tries, and even failing that most speak enough English that you can make do that way.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Learning any language is hard, but I wouldn't say German is harder than most. I've been learning German for 10+ years and have taken stabs at a few other languages along the way. The thing with German is that it is very regular (unlike the Romance languages) so once you learn and internalize the rules - which are indeed complicated, but aren't terrible - you are pretty much set.

Pronunciation is trivially easy compared to something like French, let alone any tonal languages. (It seems to be harder for some people than others, though. My girlfriend has been studying German for some time, lived in Sachsen-Anhalt and still can't pronounce Köstritzer correctly.)

I can guess the correct genders of nouns more often than not. There are actually some workable rules that are very helpful and the rest you really do internalize after a while. I have much more trouble with adjective endings and the subjunctive which is mainly due to lack of practice. (Sadly it doesn't look like living in Germany is in my immediate future.)

German is definitely tougher than Spanish, Portuguese, or Italian but I'd argue it's easier than French.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

hccht hccht hccht hccht

greetings from switzerland :)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Ah, the Swiss! I remember a few months ago I watched a documentary on German TV about some Swiss kids in one of those "send troublemakers on an adventure trip so they learn how to follow rules and behave in a social setting" programmes. All the conversations were subtitled :eng99:.

Anyway, grüezi!

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 13, 2012

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Others will probably be more knowledge-able but over the past few years there's been a wave of German indie bands. Have a look at "Kettcar" (video) , "Tomte" (video) and "Tocotronic" (video). Also check out "Peter Fox" (video).

For electro-rap-punk (don't know how to describe it), check out "Deichkind" (video).

"Anett Louisan" for chansons (video).

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

On the topic of German music, there are of course the obvious answers (Rammstein!), but I think you'll also find sizeable populations of punk and hip hip music. I caution against the latter because a) they lyrics can be extremely hard to penetrate for non-native speakers (hell, I can sometimes hardly keep pace) and b) the currently popular wave of rap seems to be entirely gangsta posing.

I'd recommend Die Ärzte (Video NSFW), Die Toten Hosen, Die Beginner and Fettes Brot.

You can also find texts of some popular German music with translations / translation cues here.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Although not "German", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZua7YcxdoU is frikken hilarious...

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Yestermoment posted:

Is there any German-based music that is popular in Germany? Be it a certain group/artist or a certain genre? A friend of mine recently introduced me to a group by the name Wir Sind Helden. And as a german student, I especially admire them. I'm curious if there are any other hidden musical gems in Germany.

Well "German-based" music from most genres is popular in Germany, Indie, Rock, some Hip Hop has been mentioned by the other guys. Then there's of course electronic stuff e.g. Digitalism as well lots of techno and trance stuff (this was big in the 90s). Another Hip Hop group I'd recommend are K.I.Z., a bit strange humour, but great punchlines+music.

Schlager is really popular radio & party music, e.g. Roland Kaiser. Most of the classics of this are from the 70s and 80s and 3 in 4 people can sing along. It is kind of uncool though, so outside of the focus of MTV & co or the general media and I have no idea if good new stuff comes out any more.

In metal, hardcore, jazz, r'n'b, pop, blues the most popular bands are probably from other countries, but there's good local stuff also, just ask for specifics. Folk music is popular with old people, but I guess sort of blending together with Schlager atm.

Bong Goblin
Jul 2, 2009
My german teacher at university told me that if you whistle to yourself, like a tune or something, people in Germany will think you're a crazy person. Is this true?

Ich moechte zu pfeiffen!

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Depends on how crazy you look while whistling. It's not common for people to whistle out on the street, but people won't really think anything of it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bong Goblin posted:

My german teacher at university told me that if you whistle to yourself, like a tune or something, people in Germany will think you're a crazy person. Is this true?

Ich moechte zu pfeiffen!
A) I generally think people who whistle in public are jerks who seek attention or are trying to show off how cool they think they are. I don't like to be forced to listen to your tuneless whistling just because you need to prove something to yourself.

B) "Ich möchte pfeiffen!" is correct.

C) On the topic of good German bands, I'd recommend Blumfeld. The singer's pronunciation is a model of clarity and I'd think their songs would lend themselves well to learning the language. Also they're top notch musically (in my opinion). (They split up in 2007 and now Jochen Distelmeyer, the singer, has a solo career.)

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

I'm studying at the Berlin University of Technology, which is one of the universities with the largest group of foreign students in Germany, if someone has questions about stuff like that.

How many of them are non-EU citizens?

Of the ones who are not part of the EU, do they have a snowball's chance in hell at getting a job in Germany after they graduate?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
At my university Chinese are the biggest group of foreign students, but many of them are either not willing to or not able to find a job in Germany.

At universities or other research institutes there is a rather large number of foreign staff, so this is probably your best bet. If you are actually decent at your profession and have made at least some connections, I think it should be possible to find a job at lots of other companies, too (talking mostly about engineering/IT here). Speaking German is a big plus.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Disclaimer: Applies to Magdeburg, smack in the middle of what used to be the GDR.

My city has a lot of Asian students in general. I think we have a lot of Vietnamese and Korean exchange students, but I know there's Chinese students and it wouldn't surprise me to find out there's Thai students here, too. I'd say the next biggest group is Eastern European, I hear Russian being spoken by student-age people on the streets on occasion. Recently, I'm also running into more black people, but I'm not familiar enough with African languages to tell you exactly where they're from. They're probably not African-American or Brits, since I haven't met one who spoke English as primary language. Actually, native English speakers in general seem to be vanishingly rare here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

elbkaida posted:

At my university Chinese are the biggest group of foreign students, but many of them are either not willing to or not able to find a job in Germany.

At universities or other research institutes there is a rather large number of foreign staff, so this is probably your best bet. If you are actually decent at your profession and have made at least some connections, I think it should be possible to find a job at lots of other companies, too (talking mostly about engineering/IT here). Speaking German is a big plus.

Thanks for the answer! I only sort of technically have a profession and I'm okay at it and could probably find work in Germany but everything I've heard says ESL in Germany is a miserable, thankless, low-paying and heavily-taxed dead end job. I want to live there, but that's not living.

I study German in the evening and, like most of the people in my class, dream of someday getting good enough at it to take advantage of the low tuition rates to study in Germany.