Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I think this thread might have reached a critical mass; it seems that there are more Germans than foreigners asking questions about Germany :P I've only skimmed through the pages but I don't think any of the Germans in here are from the area I live in (Cologne), so if anyone cares for my spin on things, I am game. A few things about me and Cologne:

I study English and History at the University of Cologne as well as work smack in the center of city, spitting distance to the cathedral. By "spitting distance" I mean people come into my GameStop and ask for batteries for their cameras so they can take pictures of themselves making dumb expressions in front of the cathedral because we are the first store they will see.

Kölsch (the local brew) does indeed taste like water but then again, no on can "not like" water, so it's all good. I prefer proper beers but what can you do. Cologne also happens to be the quasi "gay capitol" of Germany, which most attribute to Cologne being a very open and friendly city. While this might be true for the LBGT crowd, the relatively huge success of fear-mongering right wing groups in the local elections cause me to doubt that foreigners have as easy of a time here.

ruehrfisch posted:

Oh, and I just looked at my breakfast Brötchen from Aldi: Wheat, water, yeast, salt (with iodine), tartric acid esters of mono- and diglycerids (fatty acids for emulgating), dextrose, rapeseed oil. Nothing bad if you ask me...

If you eat Brötchen from Aldi for 15 cent a pop, you are part of the problem. Not only do they taste like poo poo, they also force actual bakeries to change their recipes to compete for prices. loving Backwerk all over the place and their food tastes like vomit.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ruehrfisch posted:

Wow chill =P, I don't even usually eat Brötchen (I like my bread dark and crusty) but my mum buys them sometimes since Aldi is closest. Also realistically, "actual" bakeries don't make money from simple breads/Brötchen anymore anyway, it's all about the sandwich stuff ("belegte Brötchen") that are pricey but convenient.

Didn't mean to come off that agressive, cheapo bakery stuff is just a pet peeve of mine. I used to work at a gas station for about half a year which made me realize that all of these self-service bakeries as well as all gas stations and grocery discounters get their poo poo from the same company. And it doesn't even taste good :/