Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

I'm studying at the Berlin University of Technology, which is one of the universities with the largest group of foreign students in Germany, if someone has questions about stuff like that.

How many of them are non-EU citizens?

Of the ones who are not part of the EU, do they have a snowball's chance in hell at getting a job in Germany after they graduate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

elbkaida posted:

At my university Chinese are the biggest group of foreign students, but many of them are either not willing to or not able to find a job in Germany.

At universities or other research institutes there is a rather large number of foreign staff, so this is probably your best bet. If you are actually decent at your profession and have made at least some connections, I think it should be possible to find a job at lots of other companies, too (talking mostly about engineering/IT here). Speaking German is a big plus.

Thanks for the answer! I only sort of technically have a profession and I'm okay at it and could probably find work in Germany but everything I've heard says ESL in Germany is a miserable, thankless, low-paying and heavily-taxed dead end job. I want to live there, but that's not living.

I study German in the evening and, like most of the people in my class, dream of someday getting good enough at it to take advantage of the low tuition rates to study in Germany.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

elbkaida posted:

What's ESL? English as second language? If you want to go into teaching, you could study that and become a regular teacher. They are not low-paid at all (though heavily taxed is a given) and being miserable or a dead-end job has more to do with your atttitude, I guess?

While I'll admit that going to Germany to study engineering is an undeveloped whim, I know for a fact that I'd prefer a job that doesn't involve a lot of teaching. I'm doing it now because it's the fastest way to pay off debt/save money so I can fund a career change. Right now I'm dreaming that I'll have enough cash to quit after only one more year in the classroom.

I found one website that says 700 euros/month is reasonable for living expenses as a student in Germany, is that accurate?

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

elbkaida posted:

And I'm not really clear anymore about what you actually want to do. You just want to study? Great, come on over and try it! Or you want to find a decent job? That's harder without any contacts.

Get a degree in Germany, then use the degree to get a job in Germany after. I just don't know about the possibility of making contacts while studying, or using a German degree to get a job in other countries.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

OneArmedScissor posted:

If you want to do anything in Munich other than eat, sleep, study, and drink water, then I'd suggest budgeting it at at least 1,500 euros a month.

You have successfully scared me away from Munich, not that I was ever really considering it in the first place.

How about the cheapest places to study in Germany? Is there a quality difference between schools that charge €500 per semester plus student fees and the ones that only charge student fees?

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

What are the differences between studying (engineering) at a university and studying at a technical institute? I'm interested in differences in the actual course plus how it is seen by employers after graduation.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

plasmoduck posted:

Oh and I think most FHs also dropped the 4 year program in favor of 3-3.5yr Bachelor programs (I think the 3.5yr ones all include a mandatory "internship semester" which is a good early exposure to the working world), which technically allows you to enter a Master degree at a university in most cases.

I've noticed when searching different programs that some are three years and some are four years and it doesn't seem to depend on what kind of institution it is. They have three year degrees at universities, technical universities, and Fachhochshulen.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

schoenfelder posted:

Most likely not. Let's put it this way: The typical student jobs are waitress/bartender. You speak English and define your German as poor. 90% of the people applying for the same job are native German speakers and will have at least a decent grasp of English. Your mileage might vary in a big city like Berlin where there are English speaking expat communities and many tourists. But in Magdeburg? Most likely not, no.

The more serious problem here is that the student visa has extreme limits on the amount of work you are allowed to do. You can learn to speak German, but you can't change the visa rules.

I'm planning on having a lot of money saved up when I come over.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

schoenfelder posted:

That's of course true and I didn't even think about it.

You must be German. :v:

One thing I'm looking into now is study on a work visa, not so much for the degree itself, but for the year of "high school" (Studienkolleg) I will most likely have to deal with to even apply to study at a German university. This thread is probably not the best place to find info on that. Haha.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

You're allowed to work officially 19 hours a week as a foreign student. You also don't need a visa, by the way, if you're American. You can just fly over and once you get to the place you're going to live, register with the Einwohnermeldeamt.

That is way way more than the sources I've found online say you can work. Do you have a source? It is incredibly hard to find information about this, and there's a lot of conflicting information. (Probably because different parts of Germany have different rules, and they've been changing a lot in the last couple years.) But, the sites I've seen ALL say you can work 90 days a year only during vacation as a (foreign) student, or sometimes ten hours a week during school time with special permission.

http://www.study-in-germany.de/english/1.120.322.html
http://www.studienkredit.de/studium-finanzieren/student-loans/ (EU students can work 20 hours)

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

unixbeard posted:

From memory if someone wants to hire a foreigner they have to show they can't find a german to fill the role.

That's to get a working visa. The rules are different with a student visa.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

unixbeard posted:

do know the rules for students well enough to explain? i never got a good grasp on them, they seemed a bit intricate for my grasp of german.

No. I think it might depend on what area of Germany you're studying in. The information online is inconsistent. I also have no idea about, like, how realistic it is to get a job. I only know that legally the rules are different.

I wonder if I'd like Berlin. I'm leery of living in a place with a lot of artists cause most of the artists I've met are tedious jerkoffs, but I don't like living in small towns and Berlin is the cheapest big city in Germany.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

I'll love it assuming I can get into a university there. Another year at my current rate of study will get me to the "proficient" (sufficient) language level, and I'm also about a year away from having a pile of money big enough to pay for everything. Berlin sounds competitive so I'm going to start looking at applications now, see if I can get on a waiting list conditional to passing the language test, etc.

Any advice for international student applications? All the info I can find online focuses around exchange student stuff and it doesn't help me. Maybe there is a lot of information available in other languages, but it seems really uncommon for English speakers to do a full degree in Germany.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Elindale posted:

Are there any good resources that I could scout out?

Do you have any skills? What nationality are you?

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Elindale posted:

I'm Canadian. I would say my best skills are languages; I speak fluent English and French, I can converse in German and I have less than conversational Swedish.

Are you under 35? If you are, as a Canadian you qualify for a working holiday visa. It's good for a year, some restrictions on where you can work, but it gets you into the country to scout out your options.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Elindale posted:

Wouldn't it be a bit risky to just show up in the country looking for work without knowing in advance if I would even be able to get a job?

I'm not sure what you're asking for here. There is basically no chance you're going to get a job offer while outside of the country. Even if there are translator jobs available for North Americans, employers are going to want to meet you before they commit to anything.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

Since I've been here, I tried to test into a German course offered to Erasmus students. I tested A2 level which was "too low" because the lowest course offered to Erasmus students is B1. So instead, they put me in a regular A1 course for international masters students who are required to take the course (I'm not required).

Condolences. The A1 courses kind of bored me, and I didn't know any German at all when I started. They move really slow. Yes, A1 only goes up to the perfect tense.

Drop it, or try again to get into B1. 200 euros is a great price for a class, if it's the right level. I'm doing B1 now and it's a lot more challenging. I never find myself sitting there waiting for the slower half of the class to catch up (cause the slow people have been weeded out at this point). We're doing subordinate clauses.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

B1 seriously just starts with subordinating clauses? poo poo, I thought that would be early A2 stuff cause that was German 101/102. drat it, I'm definitely going to see if I can get in first thing tomorrow. I'm pretty sure what got me on the placement exam was me having been awake for 30+ hours, several plane flights and I didn't review any of my adjetive article endings. Hell I didn't even know I would be taking the placement exam until I got there.

Some of them are in A2, weil and obwohl were covered at the beginning. I'm not as up on my grammar terms as I should be. Right now we're working on the ones that start with relative pronouns.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Time on a student visa does not count towards permanent residency/citizenship. But if you study the right thing, you might be able to get a job after!

There's always EFL. (That was a joke.)

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

One of the main reasons I want to go to Germany is that I love the poo poo out of a ton of German bands. I went to a music festival on my trip to Europe last year and that's when I decided to learn German and go to Germany. If I lived in Berlin, I could go to shows all the time. :allears:

I have no idea about popular German music though.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Guy from Russia who's great-grandparents were hired by Catherine the Great in Germany to colonize Kazakhstan? German the moment he crossed the border.

I still wish I could get in on this. I can trace both sides my family from Russia back to Germany, but they all moved to Canada long before I was born.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

People who studied German before going to Germany: how quickly did you pick things up once you got there? For someone who is intermediate(ish) based on classroom learning, how long does it take to actually get any good at the language?

People on student visas: How easy is it to find work on a student visa? I know you can only work so many hours, how easy is it to get enough work to fill them and how much do students manage to make on average (after tax)? I'm mostly interested in Dresden and Berlin.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

I studied German for the year prior to moving here (wasn't planning on it, just wanted to learn another language originally). My first days here sucked. Every time I walked into an office (and you have to go to a lot of offices to register and other paperwork) the first things that came out of my mouth were "Entschuldigung, können/sprechen Sie Englisch?" and ordering food consisted of me pointing at something and saying "das." Just last week I went to my health insurance company to give them some forms and talk to them about my dental work and didn't even bother asking for an English speaker.

And you've only been in Germany a few months right? That's good to know. I've also only studied for about a year.

Wanted to wait another year mostly to save more money to be extra safe careful, but I think I'm just being ridiculous at this point. I already have enough to last 3-4 years according to the official guidelines. How much do I really need??

How accurate is this website? http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de Specifically interested in this part:

quote:

Furthermore, citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and the United States of America may obtain any residence permit that may be required after entering Germany. Citizens of all other countries planning a longer stay in Germany must apply for visas at the competent mission before arriving in the country.

So I (Canadian) can come to Germany on a tourist visa, then change it to a student visa without leaving the country? I found a different site that said only Americans can do this. I'm not in my home country and I really don't want to waste a flight back to Canada to apply for a visa if I don't have to.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

etc etc.

Are you living in a dorm? On that budget, I could last a really long time.

ZwobotJones posted:

I'm pretty sure you can trust that site since it's an official government website. What's the other source?

Student information on the Technische Universität Dresden site. I still haven't decided on a city so I'm looking at different schools to see if any of them seem particularly interesting.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

ZwobotJones posted:

Yeah, Canada definitely isn't listed on that site. But in any case I'd say what the Auswärtiges Amt says has precedence over what the university says, especially concerning visas.

I'd suggest calling the German consulate in Canada, maybe they can help. They also have some information here.

I'm not in Canada, and also not currently a resident of Canada. The residency thing seems to complicate things a lot.

quote:

This Consulate General only accepts applications from persons being permanent residents of the provinces Ontario and Manitoba.

Awesome. I'll still try to contact them though.

Edit:

quote:

You have to submit your application in person.

:suicide:

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

the posted:

what the gently caress. I went to the garden just this evening and didn't see a single naked person. I feel screwed over here.

I didn't see any naked people when I was there either. There may have been some naked sunbathers way off in the distance but I don't remember either way. Naked people in the park doesn't mean there will be dick and tits right up in your face.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Is there a website for people looking for roommates in Germany?

Edit: There are some nice apartment on that site. What's wrong with this one? It's so cheap, and looks pretty much the same as the more expensive ones of the same size.

Fasheem fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 28, 2011

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks! Bookmarked.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

hankor posted:

The "problem" with that particular apartment is that you have to have a WBS (Wohnberechtigungsschein) to be eligible for it. Basically it means that only people that are poor as gently caress (mostly students) can rent it. Also it's in the middle of a very lively neighborhood so it's bound to be rather noisy all week long.

Oooh. I'm guessing foreign students can't get that permit. I knew there had to be something in the listing I didn't understand that would explain it, it is more than 100 euros cheaper (including extra fees) than other small one room apartments in the same area.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

hankor posted:

Actually you can, if you are staying for more than a year in Germany and earn less than 16.800€/yr after taxes you qualify for a WBS. In certain cases you can even claim "Wohngeld" (free money so you can turn the heater in your laughably cheap apartment on and don't freeze to death).

If you plan to study in Germany or already do you should have a look on your universities website or contact their StuPa/Asta/Fachschafsrat, generally those are pretty helpful.

That's amazing. Things like this are why I want to study in Germany. Things are actually decent for students there.

I don't have a university yet but I've been looking at lots of websites. :) I'm planning to apply for the 2012 summer semester which is still a long way off. I wanted to go this year but learning a language turned out to actually be kind of time-consuming and hard.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

What's the difference between a dorm and a shared apartment then?

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Saladman posted:

I lived in a Studentenwohnheim in Braunschweig. My building was all private apartments, like 20 m^2, with two rooms, minikitchen and minibathroom, and then the other two buildings were 'dorm style.'

That sounds great. I'm just sick of sharing a kitchen/bathroom and don't want to do it any more. Do you mind telling how much it cost?

quote:

Berlin is probably a lot better than Braunschweig, though, as far as being trapped in a foreign country where you barely speak the language and not knowing anyone and being by yourself for 2/3rds of summer goes.

Not to be too down on your plans or anything. I don't regret doing it.

My actual plan is way crazier and much more open to criticism. I'm planning to do a full degree, and just start in summer (actually April) because that's when my current work contract ends.

Hoping to be beyond the barely speak stage in the language by then. I test at B2 now, I have ~6 months to the application deadline to get to C1. I study all the time but I'm still pretty worried about it.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

:stare:

I know. The only debate over that bit ("the crust") I've encountered is whether it should be eaten or thrown out.

I prefer to leave it on the cupboard until it gets moldy and then throw it out.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Does anyone know anything about Hochschule Rhein-Waal? It's relatively new (founded in 2009), has low fees, and has most classes completely in English including the degree program I want which isn't all that common in any language. It's looking too good to be true.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

eine dose socken posted:

Depending on what degree you're looking for, it could also mean that the degree isn't as highly regarded, especially if it's from a completely new Fachhochschule in some podunk town...

I thought as much. It being new is definitely not something I see as a good thing and is the main reason I decided to ask about it.

The other places I'm looking at are all real universities but I've been feelng insecure about learning German lately so got sucked in by the idea of studying in English.

Fasheem fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 12, 2011

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

eine dose socken posted:

Think about it as an amazing opportunity to really get to learn a language- deep immersion style!
Get there a month or two before the semester starts, and ask everyone (roommates etc.) not to speak english- you'll pick up the language in no time (depending on your previous skill of course).

I've seen chinese and american students come in with really shaky german skills and massively improve them in the course of one semester..

I'm at that frustrating point where I seem to be almost semi-competent.

I really want to do a prep semester/year at a Studienkolleg, but I can't get in to most of them. Except for language skills I qualify for direct entry, so I could do the language course but not the content course. Some universities have started offering an optional pre-semester (Propädeutikum) for direct entry students since they noticed a lot of them were flunking out (compared to students who were forced to attend a Studienkolleg), so there's that at least.

Troubadour posted:

I think a lot of the English language stuff in Freiburg is more salesmanship than innovation, for example.

I've noticed this, mainly because the "International" programs are usually very expensive. Half the reason I want to study in Germany is it's cheap. :v:

I've been reading a lot about the small town vs big city debate and I'm still undecided.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

So is there a way to land a Sprachlehrer job before you actually get to Germany or is the best method to actually be there and look on the spot?

Try doing a search for English teaching on Toytown Germany. You'll get a lot more information. There really aren't very many English teachers in this thread. I'm sort of one now, but just doing it on the side while I study German full time so I only work about 12 hours a week. I highly recommend the English teaching freelance visa if you want to study German. I get a little extra money AND free German classes. I'm really glad I didn't try to get a language study visa instead.

You can try to send out some emails and set up interviews before you arrive, but you won't get any job offers until you arrive. If you don't already have permission to work (usually in the form of an EU passport, or a spouse with an EU passport) you need at least two job offers to get a freelance visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Gold and a Pager posted:

As a foreign student (what it seems like you'll be from your post), you would have to get private insurance. It can run as cheap as 30€ a month. In general, yes, foreigners have the same access as Germans to the healthcare system.

The exception is if you come in as a non-EU citizen and work as a freelancer. Then you have to pay out the rear end (minimum of €150/month) for insurance that only comes into play if you're in a catastrophic accident and need thousands of euros in medical care. For day to day doctor visits and stuff it's basically like being uninsured.