Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

palmy posted:

Some friends and I are planning a year-long trip to Germany. To live there and work.
If I were to get a job in the service industry (like a waiter), would residents be ordering in English, or should I learn some German?

How would you like going to a restaurant and having a guy coming to your table and asking to take your order in Dutch?

Unless it's a Dutch restaurant in the Netherlands- well, you see my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
My family is planning to buy a house in Germany in order to move there permanently. We all are EU citizens and crave to live in a country where everything works. My parents are retired and will be able to afford several decades of pensions and bank savings.

The budget is around 130k euros for an einfamilienhaus, somewhere in the suburbs of a large city that is not either former DDR or with 60% Turkish population (sorry I have close minded parents).

We also know some of the hidden gems of living in Germany as residents (the mandatory healf insurance tax), is there anything else we should know?

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

elwood posted:

Is that 130k incl. notary costs, land register fees, taxes, maybe even a realtor and renovations? If yes, that won't happen.

Of course there are separate funds for that, no big deal. So far I have calculated around a 6% of buying price, another 1% of notary costs and of course the agent commission (5-10%?). More info on that would be well appreciated before going scouting around the country for properties ourselves.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Sorry to disappoint but it's either/or here. The East isn't all that bad, really. Leipzig, Dresden etc. are all nice cities and there are few, if any, brown people around.

I definitely agree on that, but we're talking about people from another generation that are going to keep thinking this way. It doesn't help that my parents had to move out of our decades home property due to white flight that basically turned the entire neighborhood into poo poo.