Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
I'm a German major and I'm going to be doing my studying abroad in Bavaria. Am I going to end up with a stupid accent? (no offense if you're Bayerisch yourself, it's not as bad as the Swiss accent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

Nasenbiber posted:

Since you're probably going to a bigger city the accent is gonna be pretty mild compared to rural areas. But you're probably gonna pick up a couple of expressions, I guess it depends on how established you German is.

I'll be dead before I say "Pfüat enk".

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

Koaxke posted:

As others have said unless you go to a more rural area you won't see it too much. The schools (even in rural areas) all speak Hochdeutsch so you shouldn't have a problem. And Bayrisch isn't so much an accent, it's closer to a different language than anything. I had friends from northern Germany come and visit for Oktoberfest and they couldn't understand about 1/2 the stuff that was being said due to Bayrisch being so different.

Oh poo poo I can only understand like half of what's being said anyway.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

sn00ke posted:

What do you think of Andrea Merkel? I'm taking a Western European course and she seems like the blandest person with the most boring agenda ever-not that any of the other candidates are any better.

Is the right wing gaining momentum in Germany?

Angela, not Andrea. As an American who knows very little about her I find her kind of endearing.

\/\/\/ That's one of the reasons she's endearing. Angie :3:

MINT WIZARD fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 24, 2009