Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polonium
Jul 17, 2007
That KILLS me.
^^
Eww, Lüttje Lagen, I once got so wasted on those. No good memories..
And for corn on pizza, I don't know either. It's gruesome.

Another German goon checking in.
I didn't serve any time at all, because I'm a girly girl, but I was born and raised in Baden-Württemberg, have lived some time in Ostfriesland (i.e. German coast of the North Sea) and am now in Hannover. So I know quite a bit about local specialties..

Nasenbiber posted:

And on the topic of beer:
Beer is a very important part of the cultural identity. That's why you have Kölsch in Köln, Alt in Düsseldorf, Pils in northern Germany and Hefeweizen in the south. You can't get the Doppelbock from Bavaria in Hamburg because most people there wouldn't even think of buying it.
That seems to change a bit, though.
Take for example Rothaus (dubbed "Zäpfle"), which is a local brand from the Black Forest that somehow became kind of a trend beer. I know several places in Hamburg where they serve it - and given how many "Exilschwaben" are living in Berlin, it wouldn't surprise me to find it there regularly, too.

Polonium fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polonium
Jul 17, 2007
That KILLS me.

Galsia posted:

How do Germans feel about the British? I'm having difficulty describing it but most people in England love to hate Germany in a friendly kind of way. Not that we don't like German people, but we absolutely love beating you in sports. Its a rivallry obviously in place due to World War II.
I think the feeling is mutual.
I have yet to encounter someone really, seriously hating the British, but I have quite a few friends joking about you "island apes" or your lacking dental hygiene.

Polonium
Jul 17, 2007
That KILLS me.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Here are a few questions.

1 - There's a style of writing that originated in Germany that's very ornate, almost like calligraphy. I think it was used in the 1500-1700 period. What's the name of it?
Maybe I'll answer some more questions later (right now I'm hungry), but I believe you're thinking of Sütterlin.
It was actually used much longer, into the 20th century but since it is no more taught at schools (for quite some time, my parents, who were born in the 50s, can't write any Sütterlin), it might die...

quote:

4 - How the hell do you guys remember all of the genders and conjugations of German? Further, which books would you recommend for learning German? I know that might be a hard question for you native speakers, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Haha, that's a bit funny.
You know, we just know how to use genders and conjugations - but to be fair and a bit more serious, there are plenty of native Germans mixing dative and genitive, some words have different genders in certain dialects (e.g. "Butter", or "Teller") and especially on the internet a lot of people misuse the abbreviations of our general pronouns.
As for books - I have no idea, maybe someone else can help out here...

Polonium fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 24, 2009