Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a pretty specific question about Flensburg - hope someone can answer.

I'm from Denmark and I'm going there on the 25th of October to see Tina Dico at Deutches Haus.

Unfortunately, since it's a Sunday, the last train back to Denmark leaves at 9pm, so I have to spend the night in Flensburg to get on the first train at 5:49am.

Are there any 24 hour pubs or something there, or will I just have to find a bench and hope not to get robbed or arrested?

Also, I'm thinking of bringing maybe €20-30, is that enough? The tickets for the show are taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nasenbiber posted:

It's been a while since I've been to Flensburg but usually it shouldn't be a problem to find a pub that's open till at least 4:00. However it could be much harder on sundays and if you find one you might be spending the night with middle-aged alcoholics. Money wise you should be fine.

Thank you for this - I'm actually travelling with a GIRL, so maybe it'd be better to avoid the middle-aged alcoholics. Maybe I'll contact the tourist agency - they ought to have updated info (no put-down to you) :)

Thanks again!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

polyfractal posted:

Question on how LiveMocha works. I worked through the first full lesson, started the second and realized it won't let me progress anymore. I have to earn 300 "Teacher Points" by reviewing other submissions first, right? Then it will open up the next lesson and the process repeats?

LiveMocha is a piece of poo poo. They lure you in by writing "free" all over, and then they want money anyway. gently caress'em.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Liface posted:

:lol: I'm pretty sure every service exists to make money.
Sure, but they don't have to be quite so much bait-and-switch about it.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hungry Gerbil posted:

There are treaties regarding tickets between many European countries. You might actually get a nice letter asking for money soon. And you won't be able to talk yourself out of this situation.

In Denmark they follow foreigner's cars to the nearest ATM to pay the fine right away. I'm not sure if they impound the car if he can't pay, but I just wrote and asked them.

Danish News via Google Translate posted:

Immediate Fine for Macedonian chauffeur

The police stopped yesterday afternoon a truck with trailer, which [speeded] on Vordingborgvej in Næstved. Here you have to drive 50 km / h and the truck was measured at 79 km / h. The driver [turned out] to be from Macedonia, and so he paid an immediate fine of 2,744 kroner at the police station in the city.

http://www.112-naestved.dk/articles.php?article_id=792

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, I decided to watch "Herbstfestival des Volksmusik" on ARD 1 last night. I understand German well enough to get by, and the show and music is fun to laugh at.

First of all: All acts are playback. Painfully so. They walk around on a set of giant mushrooms and gaze, singing their hearts out. Even when they do have instruments on stage, they're not plugged in. The chords they take on the guitars have no resemblance to the music playing.

Second, the show between the acts. It's like a variete, or vaudeville, or whatever it's called. Light entertainment with popular German singers and TV hosts. They had a host in from a news program. Apparently he started to wear glasses a couple of months ago on the show, but after a bunch of complaints he was forced to go back to wearing contact lenses :psyduck: They had him try three different pairs of glasses and gave telephone numbers for people to vote on them! They chose the second pair. Also, some American dude who could break tiles and Roger Whittaker. The guy bet he could break a row of 50 tiles faster than Roger Whittaker could drink a glass of water. The guy won.

And on and and on for three and a half hours. It was mind numbing. Is this what all Germans listen to, or just the old ones?

We have "Volksmusik" in Denmark too, but they at least have the decency to keep it to one channel (on the radio) and occasionally an hour a week in the summer time.

God drat. I have to find better things to do on Saturday nights :negative:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Default Settings posted:

Reich-Ranicki doesn't want his, anyway.

Thanks guys! I'd like to thank the academy, and God, for always believing in me.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zwille posted:

Well [moin] is only really an universal greeting in northern Germany, so there's that. Everywhere else it is sort of considered an abbreviated "Guten Morgen", at least that's what I heard. Wikipedia, however, claims it's even only used in the morning in certain regions of northern Germany.

It's also used extensively in southern Denmark, to mean both hello and goodbye. I've never heard it's only used in the morning.

Then again, I didn't know it was a German greeting - I just thought it was another sign of South-Danish people being weird :v:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ziir posted:

That's the first and only thing I think of when I think of whipped cream here in the US, but I don't go to coffee shops or order drinks at bars with whipped cream.

What else is whipped cream suppose to come in? :confused:

BUY SOME loving CREAM AND loving WHIP IT, YOU FAT gently caress! GOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The trick is to force your body into the new time zone, so I hope you got up at around 8 or something, and don't go to sleep until around 10-11 or whenever you usually sleeps. This all worked for me when I went to Canada from Denmark.

No naps!