Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

I'm living in Buckow
That's where I grew up, near Johannisthaler Chaussee- hey there fellow Buckow-goon :cool::respek::cool:

Growing up in Germany I appreciated movies being dubbed. Usually they do a really good job with it too and use the same voice actor for the same movie actor across projects. The only thing that made me go :wtf: was when the voice actor for Patrick Stewart in ST:TNG got switched between season 3 and 4.

Now that I am used to watching movies in English though it annoys me when I see a dubbed film because the lip synching seems way off. Maybe there's less of a budget nowadays to do it right or I have just gotten more perceptive.

quote:

I just drowned the teacher in words. Everyone else writes 3000 words essays? Just babble away for a few more pages, make it 6000, get padded on the back for your use of stream of consciousness and net 14 points.
I hated losing 2 or 3 points for "content" just because my writing is very terse. So for AP English finals I went all out making upanalyzing as many symbolisms and metaphors as I could think of. 15 points, bitch :mmmsmug: (We've got letter grades in middle school and it switches to a 1-15 scale in high school).

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Skip Frankfurt if you can. Stuttgart, Nuernberg, and Muenchen are worth spending a few days in.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

heeebrew posted:

My grandparents are headed to Berlin next week, is there anything I should ask them to bring me back? Berlin or German only candy or drinks?

Have them go to the KaDeWe which is sort of like the Harrodd's of Berlin- all kinds of overpriced items for tourists to bring home. Supermarkets should carry the aforementioned Berliner Weisse or if you want to go non-alcoholic try to find Almdudler lemonade (it's Austrian, but I have seen it in a few Berlin stores before). Pretty much all the Kinder brand candy items are great as is Hanuta :)

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Fasheem posted:

I wonder if I'd like Berlin. I'm leery of living in a place with a lot of artists cause most of the artists I've met are tedious jerkoffs, but I don't like living in small towns and Berlin is the cheapest big city in Germany.
That's just a matter of finding the right district to live in. Berlin has lots of little communities and it's easy enough to avoid certain subcultures. For example I grew up in Neukoelln which is a blue collar district. Move a couple miles to the south or west and you get more white collar. Move north or east and you'll run into students and drug dealers ;)

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Pharmacy = Apotheke (over the counter and prescription stuff)
Drug store = Drogerie (shampoo, toothpaste, some OTC)

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

elwood posted:

Should both be good to waste an hour or so.
*aka Castle Wolfenstein

If you do end up going to the Wewelsburg make sure you get a tour guide to take you to the crypta. It's usually locked and has an awesome echo chamber if you stand right in the center of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

elwood posted:

Never, under no circumstances, should you ever even think about joining a Schrebergartenverein. The pettiest bullshit imaginable goes on there.
Obviously depends on the specific club you join. My parents use their garden as a weekend getaway and aside from mandatory work duty for the commons areas it's not too bad. I guess if you get involved in the whole committee business it might be as dreadful as joining an HOA.