Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I lived a few years in Germany as a teenager, I remember watching X-files regularly and the German voice of Gillian Anderson was that of some 50 year old chain smoker. Then I went to my homecountry for vacation, saw some episode of X-files and realized "hey...HEY! She has a nice voice!".
The dubbing industry is just awful...it makes sense for animated films IF you do it properly (they are dubbed in the original language too, obviously), but other than that it's just stupid. Simpsons in Germany was one of the worst, because it was obviously handled like yet another children's cartoon (at least in the 90s).

Anyway, movies, TV-series etc. are meant to be watched in the original language. Whether that's English, Japanese, Polish or whatever doesn't matter. Whether you understand the language or not, doesn't matter. You have to be a retard to have a different opinion, and I assume that in Germany all the DVD:s and such let you choose the language. So, how many people in Germany fall into this category of retards? Specifically I'm interested in the group of 15-30 year olds.
(edit: I lived there before the "DVD era" so I don't really know)

vanDeet fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

unixbeard posted:

i find this the case when having conversations with Germans (currently living in Germany). Often I think they have to focus quite a lot just to understand my English, so much so that the jokes sneaks by them.

Also, at least around here in Europe we have the joke about "shortest books in history", one of them lists Swedish war heroes, one is "100 years of German humor", and there's couple more :smugbert:
(many Germans are actually very funny people, but maybe they aren't the greatest in understanding various kinds of humor)

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

satiat posted:

What is the attitude towards tourists who can only pronounce a couple of phrases? Will people try to speak English, or just ignore the dumb tourists?

Well, Germany is not France, so as far as I know people will make an effort to speak English with you if they can. Most people do. Obviously the young people more than the 60+

quote:

Are there any societal dos and don’t? Such as flicking someone the middle finger as an insult, or any other taboos?

I assume you're from US or some other Western country. The cultural differences are very small, you can just be yourself without having to worry about such things. One of the only things is speaking about Nazis or the holocaust in the wrong place, but that's kind of obvious.

quote:

How much does a train ticket usually run? Say, from Munich to Berlin, or into another country?

Can't remember, check http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

quote:

Neither of us speak any German, and know nothing about the country. I plan on doing research as much as I can, but I know I won’t remember it all. Whenever I find out what region we are going to, it will become so much easier to plan.

You don't have to worry about not speaking any German. I've been in countries like Korea where 99,9% of the people basically speak no English whatsoever, or any other language that I would understand, but things are still pretty easy...and most Germans speak decent English.

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

schoenfelder posted:

[we] do not have any national pride or self-esteem

drat, how did that happen :ohdear:

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ziir posted:

Is it such a boring city that I'm going to hate the next 2 years of my life if I live there? :(. My professor here who graduated from Aachen and recommended the school to me told me the city was awesome. I didn't ask why though.

I've never visited Aachen, but come on, just looking at the map, it's right in the middle of "Europe that matters". Netherlands, Belgium, northern France are just a short train ride away, just like Köln. Even if the city would suck (it probably doesn't), it would still be a great place to live in. Assuming that you can afford travelling a bit on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I was in Stuttgart last week and noticed something I had noticed late last year in Kaiserslautern.

German women are incredibly attractive.
Can you shed some light on why the women are so gorgeous?

Hmm, I have to ask, have you been in other countries besides Germany and US? :iamafag:

Because, while Germany certainly has their share of "hot women" (just like any other country), the average German woman is certainly not. At least, if you ask most people. Maybe you have a weird taste :parrot: