Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I lived in Bavaria for quite a bit of time (in a small rear end farm village about 30 minutes away from Bad Tölz). If you don't mind me stealing the thread a bit, I'd be more than happy to answer anyone's questions dealing with Bavaria in general (i.e. Oktoberfest, lederhosen, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

safety dan posted:

I'm a German major and I'm going to be doing my studying abroad in Bavaria. Am I going to end up with a stupid accent? (no offense if you're Bayerisch yourself, it's not as bad as the Swiss accent)

As others have said unless you go to a more rural area you won't see it too much. The schools (even in rural areas) all speak Hochdeutsch so you shouldn't have a problem. And Bayrisch isn't so much an accent, it's closer to a different language than anything. I had friends from northern Germany come and visit for Oktoberfest and they couldn't understand about 1/2 the stuff that was being said due to Bayrisch being so different.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

safety dan posted:

Oh poo poo I can only understand like half of what's being said anyway.

Here's a nice little example for you:

German: Ich möchte ein Bier.
Bavarian: I mog a Bier.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Krakened posted:

Sorry mate, I've got a few questions. I apologize if some questions make me sound like an rear end of a tourist.

Next year I will be going for a two week holiday in Germany. Me and my dad are planning to go by train most of the time, and stay at hostels (we are going on the cheap). Are there any scenic train routes that you can recommend us taking? If possible, can you recommend ones that go near/on/through the mountains?

We would also like to visit the gothic cathederals, but have no idea where to start. Which state in has the most popular cathederals and architecture? Is there any one building that you would recommend anyone to go and see?

Where are the best pubs and clubs in Germany?
What are the girls like over there?
Are there places in Germany where you would NOT recommend people to go? Further, are there times when I shouldn't be out walking the streets, even with another person?
Do a lot of people speak English as a second language there?
We would really, really like to see one of those beautiful little villages right up in the mountains. Can you recommend me one?

You can knock out two in one if you're down by Munich. A great little village is called Benediktbeuern and it has an awesome cathedral in it that was built back in like the 600s. The village itself is over by Bad Tölz