Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

quazi posted:

How much truth is there to the stereotype that German products and artwork have a desire for maximum technological precision?
  • Carl Zeiss and Hasselblad make better optics than Canon and Nikon.
  • An automobile from BMW has higher tolerances than, say Lexus.
  • and the music of Kraftwerk reflects on this.

German like BMW and Audi are nice but are really fickle and hard to maintain after a few years. As a owner of 5 different BMWs, maintenance was a chore and the parts were expensive as hell compared to Japanese.

One thing I'm curious is how did Germany adopt and develop its ultra awesome train schedules? Japan picked it up but Britain and other European countries are not so accurate with their times :(

I have not been to other German cities, only to Berlin 5 years ago. Not too many people spoke English but I loved the ultra wide roads and new city infrastructure. I wish I could brush up on my German but I find the grammar too difficult to learn compared to French.

One thing I'm curious about German goons is, if you guys ever stayed in English speaking countries for a long period of time to develop your language skills? How did you raise your english to your current level?

caberham fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

vanDeet posted:

dubbing sucks

A big problem with watching subs is that people just read all the subs before the lines are actually delivered. Not a big problem for serious drama stuff, but a really big annoyance for comedies. It sucks when the audience around you is laughing before you do and makes jokes not as funny.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Fun thread, I read the first ten pages and the last ten pages. Finally the German thread, cross posting:

Hi Goons, China goon here and I will be going to Berlin for 1 week this coming June for work. It will be in a large convention centre called Messe? but luckily the company will grant me a few days of holiday to go sight seeing. I have been to Berlin over 10 years ago before the age of smart phones, city wifi, internet, and look forward going again. Berlin is my favourite European city, the wide streets, the architecture, the new modern feeling :swoon: And the font for signs. Sorry to be Berlin specific but if someone can answer a few questions that would be great.

• I'm planning to stay right near the Messe Convention centre in this hotel (Hotel Kaiser - Hopefully it's good) http://goo.gl/maps/mbThQ Is there anything I can do at night around that neighbourhood? I suppose I can take the U2 redline to the town centre but that seems to be kind of far. I don't even want to think how much a taxi would cost late at night to Mitte or a more happening area.

• Several people mentioned Monsieur Vuong, but any recommendations with historical hearty German food? Is Curry 36 worth taking the train for some currywurst? I really love street food and sausage!

• Speaking food, I do love a good Dunkel. I may be busy for many nights, but a nice dunkel or Berlin beer to end the night would be awesome. I only had Edringer and Paulaner.

• Turkish food? Polish/Eastern European ? With a big population there's got to be some good Turkish places in town. What is the demographics of Berlin nowadays? I suspect being a capitol and a trendy place there would be waves of immigration.

• Where is the sleazy/gangster area? I'm somehow attracted in the seedy places of cities, in my experience they have awesome food and stay open forever (at least in Hong Kong because Gangsters work weird hours and need to eat)

• If I go to 2 Museums, which ones should I go? I only vividly remember Check point Charlie, this time I am a bit interested in the DDR museum and something historical for my photography hobby

• What are the goony goon goon things you guys would do in Berlin? Do you guys have good LAN cafe's, board game stores, maid cafes, or German-nerd stores?

• Do you Berlin goons ever do a goon meet? I suppose everyone would be speaking German, which I imagine would be fun because you guys are all making references to swap.avi or goatse

• I have heard that the electronic music scene in Berlin is rad. Whereabouts can I find something for a Saturday weekend let's get drunk, act silly and dance?

• What internet chat programs do you guys use? Whatsapp/Viber/Some German chat program/google talk?

• I tried looking at http://www.t-mobile.de/tarife/0,10821,17773-_3288,00.html and buy a sim card. In this day and age, I need my internet where ever I go. How much do I need to pay for a temporary 3G card with basic calls/data. For a week I guess I can survive for 100 Mb for basic chat, email and google directions. I hope Germany is not America stupid when it comes to getting a sim card and is a easy process. I'm tempted to forgo calls and just stick with data and use a chat program. But for business, perhaps I still need to pay for voice :(

Thanks again everyone! And is there a Berlin goon group or goon meet? That would be fun if someone wants to meet a Chinese guy who grew up in Canada yet paid :10bux: Meeting locals/expats for a night would be awesome. You guys would probably know your way around a lot more than a tourist like me. Plus that means I won't get robbed. Perhaps a kidney stolen but I'm cool :shobon: And if you guys have any requests for Chinese food, souvenirs or items I can gladly bring. Most overseas goons I have met are a really fun bunch. If someone can host for me I would definitely set up a Hong Kong welcome party :neckbeard: You can pm me, or email me [SA user][dot][spam] gmail

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everything in Euro's is just making my wallet ache. It's like going to Japan all over again :emo:

schoenfelder posted:

This man knows Berlin

Thank you so much for the reply :tipshat: I really want to slap my co-workers silly when they say that "Berlin is boring, there's not much to see and only a few places to eat" :negative: Hopefully I can take them out to Potsdam and a few palaces to show that many European countries have rich intermingling histories and surviving architecture. It's not just France and Italy :negative: Reading the wiki travel articles on Berlin and Potsdam is making me jealous :eng99: I do a have a thing for Germany (except the language, I'm sorry the 4 grammar cases and 3 genders make my head explode). German chicks are freaking hot :swoon:

I saved it all as Berlin.txt Hopefully it will just be great things and not a list of my melt down or bad things happen when I go to Germany. Nowadays with google live view, 3d maps, internet everything looks so much easier to handle. Oranienburger Straße and Kurfürstenstraße looks really plain from google live view. I suppose street walkers pop out at night? But nowadays, prostitution is legal so it's not a big deal :420: is illegal but just frowned upon not get thrown into prison bad right?

Looking at http://www.qype.co.uk/place/858228-Matreshka-Berlin and I will try it out! Maybe we can set a gooooooooon meet there? It seems to be on the other end of the town :( A day ticket seems more feasible. I don't even want to think of a taxi late at night, pray that they don't do late night charges. Where do drunk salary man go when it's late at night besides sleeping on a park bench? Apparently, public drunkeness is frowned upon in Germany and never happens according to this guide. http://www.cyborlink.com/besite/germany.htm Which I call bullshit.

2 Euros for a single trip and by zone? Does that mean people walk a lot like they do in New York City if they don't have monthly tickets? Granted, a day ticket is not too pricey if I go to mulitple locations. A 10 Euro sim card is attractive and I get awesome 3G speeds right? How is LTE in Germany? Everyone uses viber/whatsapp right? Speaking of technology, if you guys use a ticket system for the metro, is there a uniform contact less pay card like Oyster in London? From the Euro thread it seems like Europe is still mostly cash-based :iiam:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey thanks for the heads up everyone, really appreciate it :) Apparently, this 1 week trip is going to be lengthened to 2.5 weeks. I need to stop by Stuttgart, Warsaw, and maybe Munich. A lot more travelling, and unfortunately, "can't rent a car - it's too dangerous to drive". For Stuttgart is there any famous food or drink? It looks like a small city/town from reading wikitravel. Aldi is a featured store, and half the entries are Doners or kebaps :stare: Can't wait to go to Texas Munich! Sure people in the DnD thread bitch about conservative Bavarians but I wonder how they treat tourists?

I really want to find restaurants and try : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_dishes

wikitravel, stuttgart city posted:

A surprisingly large number of stores and restaurants do not take credit cards other than MasterCard and Visa, and it may be difficult to find ATMs that accept other cards as well.
Shops are open until about 8PM Monday-Saturday.

:laffo: I actually evny people who work retail in Europe. Sure everything is not ultra convenient but on the surface of things, it's nice to see people with lower income jobs can actually enjoy a life like everyone else :shobon:

AstroWhale posted:

Whoa,LAN cafe`s are so nineties, they all closed several years ago.
There are more than enough WLAN spots though:
http://www.berlin.de/special/computer-und-handy/computer/932702-895115-freiewlanhotspotsinberlin.html

Korean or Japanese Lan cafes are awesome. Fast internet, cheap drinks and food, and you can sleep there for a night. Do you guys get 24 hour macdonalds or fast food with 3-4 guys clumped up together playing Monster Hunter on the PSP?

quote:

I looked for some board game stores
http://www.nexus-berlin.de/Berliner_L%C3%A4den
There is one near Warschauer Strasse but I dont know how its called :(

Interesting, wonder if I will see any gooony goon goon neckbeards? Probably just a bunch of enthusiastic players like else where in the world. Bonus points if I catch a pirate bay guy there with a my little pony t shirt.

quote:

Maid Cafe :lol: but there is a private one in Berlin. No way of getting in that I know of.

Probably some university anime club thing? I suppose everywhere in the world you will find your fair share of weaboos who worship :japan:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello German goons again! Thanks for your advice earlier. I'm finally coming over to Stuttgart this Friday for a Week and then off to Berlin! The only bummer is a 2 day detour to Venice :(

It's all for business so I won't have too much free time for sight seeing and only the evenings off :smith: Can anyone recommend some great places to eat in Suttgart? My coworkers are being really silly and have conservative Chinese appetites so they are packing in a electric kettle and packs of instant noodles. The last time they were in Germany they complained about the horrible soup quality in the local brand of instant noodles. I'm curious to check that out, and of course open up their eyes.

From June 1- June 6, I will be in Berlin and will there be any goon meets? I love to buy you guys a beer/dinner if someone can meet up or host for me!

you guys can PM me or

e-mail [spolier][username][dot][spam][gmail][/spoiler]

It would be really really cool to meet some German goons, most goons I have met are mostly Anglophones or Asians. Has there been any Berlin goon meets by any chance?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I want to go privately but I don't think the company will pay for this meal :( We have a budget of 100 euros a day. Yes, we can probably eat supermarket stuff on the other days to eat at a fancy restaurant but I think all of us are relatively frugal

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thank you so much for your help! I'm here for five more days and today we just walked around konig starsse. It's really beautiful but the weather is a bit chilly.I feel like a dumb American wearing a t-shirt when everyone is dressed for winter wear.

I think I'm having the worst luck or I lived in dense cities metropolitan cities way too long. My coworkers got singled out for a customs security check. Scanned for drugs and smuggling. I got a few random stares. Old ladies were amused when I ordered sausage and was watching me eat them. And some fruit seller refused me service when I wanted to buy a pack of strawberries. Perhaps that was a miscommunication... still i find it interesting that globalization crept up and major brands, clothing are pretty Americanized. Even the language has a lot more loan words than before. It's kind of convenient that English gets used a lot more.

For everyone making fun of us bringing instant noodles,the daily soup of the day for 4 euros is chicken noodle soup. Which consists of instant noodles...

All in all I look forward for more sight seeing. Wish I could meet up with some locals and not be so lost.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully Stuttgart is finally warming up! I tried the few restaurants linked it it's pretty good. Yesterday we went to hohenzollern castle and it was amazing. A castle on top of the mountain feels like a backdrop in Castlevania. And Germanic princes and Swabian dynasties kick so much more rear end than English ones. Going to the Mercedes benz museum tomorrow, hopefully there's time to squeeze in the Porsche as well.

And I'm glad it's a Monday. Man everything in Germany closes up on Sunday and like what I said "feels inconvenient" :( I'm also bummed by the fact there's not too much time for museums or other sights. Is there any night time activities besides a bar/fkk/table dance in Stuttgart? Sorry if I sound like a whiny whiny tourist :ohdear:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The weather is awesome,everything is getting better and I don't give a drat about people staring at me anymore.

drat I should have read about the post earlier. The simulator is now.four euros but it's a bad bad vr vibration like the nineties. Meeting a Stuttgart goon tonight.hope I can catch berlin goons!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just met up with troubadour! He is an awesome goon! all overseas goons are great. Hopefully I can catch up with Berlin goons :shobon:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons I'm going to Berlin tomorrow staying until Friday. Would love to meet up with locals after work and hang out!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Awesome game full of fun atmosphere without being douchey. Go bayern.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of train talk, man do people in Germany like resting their shoes on an empty seat. It's just kind of gross.

And why are the seats so close to each other when everyone in Germany is so tall? I did ask this question when I passed through an old German Castle, Berg Hohenzollern - why where the beds so small? It was supposedly a manner of nutrition and medical science :eng101:

And from what time did this phenomenon change the German people from short to tall? :iiam:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is there a Stuttgart goon still around? And the Berlin gooons?

It was fun meeting some of you guys last year. This year I will be going from Stuttgart, Nurenburg, and Berlin.

Hopefully have time for goooon meeetz?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That's awesome let's have some bad mexican and drink whiskies again this year

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I rather have waiters giving letting me settle the bill in my terms than having them shove the bill into my face and kicking me out

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can also buy limitless large cans of beer at any highway rest stop!

Man I'm finally here in Berlin, finishing my European trip. Drove from Stuttgart and stayed at Dresden and Nuremburg.

Any goons want to meet for dinner ? I'm probably busy with expo work but would be cool to hangout with Berlin goons again this year.

And yesterday tiergarten was insane with the world cup

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

I think the trashiness comes more from what you are doing, less the drink. Chilling with some mates in the park in the evening, drink whatever. But sitting in the tram at 10 in the morning and pulling out a bottle to take a big gulp is a total no-go.

Yeah I agree. You can be a well dressed business man slamming shots in the morning like mad men and you won't be trashy.

A hobo in rags drinking lafite doesn't make him a noble gentlemen.

Anyways, try out new drinks, have fun and stay safe

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh and I love diesels

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Aren't there a few outlet malls where everything is super cheap?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, so I'm hosting this couch surfer from Munich. Sometimes I respond "Ja Ja" she giggles and that means "lick my rear end in a top hat" in German - as in agreeing in sarcasm. I'm totally confused because Dutch and South Africans say Ja Ja all the time. Please help me understand

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh man thanks for clarifying this.

Weird thing is I hear my German clients say "ja ja" from time to time during their discussions.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Gonna :spergin:

Obviously there's a whole bunch of cues you can read from people. Sure different cultures have stresses which makes picking up the cues harder. None the less, it's still possible to read people - somehow. And of course everyone's different so take what you will.

I thought it's just kind of like the English translation of "sure sure", or "sure, sure" or "yeah yeah" or "yeah, yeah", or "okay okay", or "okay, okay" or whatever combination as you interpret it. My dutch goon friends like to say it as a way of reaffirmation.

What really weirds me out is that their body language or tone didn't sound as bad, Or maybe they are super diplomatic. I don't know. It was more of a sheepish answer when I hear it.

Oh and now "nice" is actually condescending too.

Like holy poo poo this German couch surfing guest is really friendly, energetic, and smart to hang out with. Because she's trying her best to be a nice guest and I'm trying my best to be a nice host. But when when calmly explains the nuances of the language my mind gets blown :tviv:

It's as if she's checking all the boxes for "serious, pragmatic, cold humor" kind of stereotype. My only interaction with Germans is not much, and even if there is any it's with clients who are very efficient and business like which is wonderful. And goons. Goons who want to show up and meet internet strangers are cool. But nonetheless fit the profile of a nerdy boy who furiously types/lurks on SA

Ok done with my stupid anecdotes

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's always Potsdam. Decent castle grounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Should have posted here drat. My wife and inlaws spent a week across the Rhine and mentioned Neuschwanstein - the most famous castle and inspiration for Disney.

I’m not going with them but my travel bullshit detector was ringing bells and a quick google shows how busy it can get.

She went to cochem and Mainz and got so much poo poo from the locals pronouncing “Co -chem” or “mains”. And she got sick of castles and churches and town-squares :smith:

It’s probably just culture shock and not used to small town rural life where everything closes at night :( but Germany is so beautiful and everyone loved the sausages and Riesling