Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Spermando posted:

I have a question about Bahncards. Do you only get discounts when you book the trip online or at the travel centres rather than the ticket machines? I'm planning on travelling a lot, and I just wan't to get a ticket and hop on the train.

if you own a bahncard 25 or bahncard 50, the ticket machines let you choose that option iirc. long time since i had one...

bronin fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

satiat posted:

Honestly, dumb everything down as much as you can for me – I thought Bavaria was a country before I read this thread.

Well, tbh it kinda is... :D

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ziir posted:

Also, when restaurants/cafes have tables set up outside in the plaza, can I just go sit down at one of them and a server will come to me? Or do I go to them first and tell them I want a seat like in the US? On a similar note, do people tip here? I've never tipped before when I was in Germany, but I spent a month in Switzerland where it was considered polite to tip there on top of the outrageously expensive food.

Yes you can just sit down and someone will come and ask you what you want to drink/eat.
As for tipping: It's definitely not like the US. Usually you just round up. Let's say you bought a beer for 2,70€. You can then pay with a 5 Euro bill and tell the waiter "to make it 3". He will then give you 2 Euro in return.
Of course you can give more, especially if the total sum is larger. Let's say the total sum is something like 17,30€. You just give the guy/gal a 20€ bill and say "stimmt so (keep the change)".
It really depends on how much you want to tip, but those two examples pretty much show how I usually do it. Except for when I'm drunk, then I tip too much... :D

Edit: beaten to it... But I like how we used the same beer example :eng101:

bronin fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 10, 2010

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

schoenfelder posted:

Seems like that's sort of a normal price all over the place ;). Also, we used the same price of 17.30 EUR for a larger sum even though I find your tip excessive (or am I just a cheap bastard :ohdear:?)

Haha, yeah. When I think about it 20 EUR seems a bit much to me too.

Edit: I guess I'd say 19. Unless I was drunk of course... and/or the waitress was hot :D

bronin fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 10, 2010

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

FLX posted:

It's simple really: no more splashbacks (or wasting paper to counteract those) :smug:

this!

The amount of water in american toilets is mindboggling. You just can't evade the splashback :(

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

westborn posted:

Yes, those are the 'reasons' I mentioned. It seems like this point didn't come across too well, so I wanted to clear up that it's no casual clothing you'd encounter just anywhere on the streets.
However, the modern Tracht seems to experience a revival among the youth in the last few years. You could always see them being worn in church, at weddings (again, never seen it myself on bride or groom, might also be more common to the register office than church) and to festivals, but its more and more the young people who like to dress up in them these days, but I doubt this will spill over into everyday life.

Unterallgäu, still ~40km away from where the alps officially begin.

I imagine the Chiemgau to be a rather traditional region, so I could ask some acquaintances from the there about their experiences, since I've never spent much time there myself.

Nice to see an Allgäu-Goon here. I'm from the Ostallgäu, pretty close to Upper Bavaria and ~20km to the Austrian border/Alps. And yes the Trachten around here look like those pictures. Here are some pictures of our local "Trachtenverein":

I have no idea what they're doing there:

You won't see anyone of them running around in these clothes in daily life. This stuff is worn on special occasions.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

flavor posted:

I just wanted to bring some attention to the fact that it's not always appropriate to ask people born in Berlin (like me) about these kinds of activities. They are kinda derided and frowned upon in the more northern parts of the country. Asking people from the North about them is like asking New Yorkers whether they wear ten gallon hats, ride horses and visit rodeos every weekend.

I fully respect all that Trachten stuff (at least officially), but it's a faux pas and makes you look buffoonish to just associate any German with it.

Hahaha yeah. People associating Lederhosen with Germany as a whole is hilarious :D

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

elbkaida posted:

Well, from the 30s to ~60s it was pretty common for boys all over Germany to wear shorts made from leather. I guess dudes from Bavaria just refuse to grow up. :)

Never change a running system :)

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

brylcreem posted:

So, I decided to watch "Herbstfestival des Volksmusik" on ARD 1 last night. I understand German well enough to get by, and the show and music is fun to laugh at.

First of all: All acts are playback. Painfully so. They walk around on a set of giant mushrooms and gaze, singing their hearts out. Even when they do have instruments on stage, they're not plugged in. The chords they take on the guitars have no resemblance to the music playing.

Second, the show between the acts. It's like a variete, or vaudeville, or whatever it's called. Light entertainment with popular German singers and TV hosts. They had a host in from a news program. Apparently he started to wear glasses a couple of months ago on the show, but after a bunch of complaints he was forced to go back to wearing contact lenses :psyduck: They had him try three different pairs of glasses and gave telephone numbers for people to vote on them! They chose the second pair. Also, some American dude who could break tiles and Roger Whittaker. The guy bet he could break a row of 50 tiles faster than Roger Whittaker could drink a glass of water. The guy won.

And on and and on for three and a half hours. It was mind numbing. Is this what all Germans listen to, or just the old ones?

We have "Volksmusik" in Denmark too, but they at least have the decency to keep it to one channel (on the radio) and occasionally an hour a week in the summer time.

God drat. I have to find better things to do on Saturday nights :negative:

You... watched that for.... three and a half hours? :wth:
You deserve an award of some kind...

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Here is a good exercise for all people trying to learn German:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmI2m06YFfc

Great song, but I only understand about 10% of the lyrics and I'm from Munich.

Holy gently caress, I can't even understand 10% of that. :psyduck: I'm from the swabian part of Bavaria and for me Schwizerdütsch is much easier to understand than this.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

elbkaida posted:

Wow, camping and hiking in the Alps in winter sounds pretty crazy to me. Are there even any camping sites or Hütten that are open? I thought in winter everything there goes into total skiing mode.

We can read about unexperienced tourists doing that poo poo here almost every year. Most articles are about their death. Or it's about getting them out of whatever hole the fell in with a helicopter... So yeah, I guess Berlin is the better choice.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

westborn posted:

Was about to post that. I live near Memmingen, and the so called "Flughafen München-West", the Allgäu Airport, is ~100km away from Munich...

Hahaha, yeah. I crack up every time I read Memmingen referred to as "Flughafen München-West"

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
With the "Ländertickets(Bayernticket in Bavaria)" you can use any train (no Intercity Express, though) and all public transportation in bigger cities for a whole day for 20€.

Edit: Wow, they increased the prices again. Ok, 21€. Memmingen to Munich is a 2hr train ride...

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ziir posted:

Does anyone know the nutrition information for a Döner? These things are delicious but I'm really curious as to what the gently caress I'm eating nutrition wise especially cause a lot of Germans seem to think it's one of the healthiest fast foods available (which I think is just a justification to eat more which I fully agree with). I can't really find much info on Google other than it's unhealthy.

I've seen a poster in a Dönerbude once that said Döner has approx. as much calories as a BigMac but is healthier. Less fat and more salad/tomatoes/vegetables.
It certainly tastes better anyway.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ziir posted:

This is making me hungry for some Döner even though I ate one or two this week already and it's snowing like hell outside.

Yeah, talking about Döner really makes me want to eat one right now. Problem is I live in bumfuck Bavaria and I'd have to drive 10km through the snow. So no Döner for me I guess...

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Zwille posted:

You can download a donor's ID here. I guess it's legal but I'm not sure.

http://www.organspendeausweis.org/

Yep, this is the one I have. You just have to give 'em your address and they'll send it to you. That's what I did anyway.
You can also print it out for yourself.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Brokyn posted:

requesting Christmas in Germany pictures :allears:

this is a naive american thinking germans deck the poo poo out of their halls with lights and garland like we do.

We don't

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ziir posted:

Is it really that strange to you guys that I cook (warm) breakfast almost every day?

Whatever floats your boat, man. I know noone who does that. I mostly eat some kind of cereal or a slice of bread with Nutella and a yoghurt or stuff like that for breakfast. On the other hand a lot of people have nothing but coffee and cigarettes for breakfast...

Mmmmhh Nutella :fap:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hungry Gerbil posted:

We Germans just can't wrap our heads around the concept of apostrophes. Here is proof:

More can be found here:
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-10289.html

Edit:
Germans think those are all apostrophes: ' ` ´ and even ,

My fellow countrymen are stupid :/

Edit: I used to type poo poo like "It´s" when I was younger, but goddamn... a comma? :(

bronin fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 27, 2011

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ziir posted:

Speaking of laziness, something I've picked up here is saying tschö (no I'm not mishearing for ciao) instead of tschüss. Is this some kind of laziness or another dialect thing?

I don't know in which region/dialect this originated, but even I have said it once or twice... "tschö mit ö!"
Yes, it's retarded

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

FLX posted:

I just googled this and apparently there's also "Tschüss mit üss" :shepface:

hahahahah :downs:

Edit: The best thing to say is clearly "Servus!". It's a greeting and a goodbye. No wait. Even better: "Habe die Ehre" or as you would pronounce it: "Habedere"

bronin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 28, 2011

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
^^^^^^^^^^^^
My father says "zwo" from time to time. Around here noone says "zwanzich". It's always "zwanzig" or even "zwanzik". When people say "Kirsche" instead of "Kirche" I always get the urge to shoot myself, or the person who pronounces "ch" that way. That's just me though.

Ziir posted:

Do you actually say "tschö mit ö" or just tschö? BecUse the former just sounds so strange.

Yeah, if you wanna be super funny i.e. retarded you say "mit ö".

bronin fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 29, 2011

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hungry Gerbil posted:

What is more difficult to pronounce for an English speaker:
'Chäschüechli' or 'Oachkatzlschwoaf'?

Hahaha I had to look the first one up. I bet it's the first one. The second only has one "ch" in it after all.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Augustiner Edelstoff or :frogout:

Kopfwehbier no.1 for me

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Zwille posted:

No poo poo, I drank a moderate amount of those last friday and had a really bad hangover given the amount I drank. We even ate some pizza in between and didn't do an all-nighter and still I felt like poo poo the next day.

That was pretty much my weekend too. I don't know what it is, but Augustiner (Edelstoff or the normal Helles) will always give me the worst hangover the next day. The only other beer I experience this with is a local one.

Oh and weizen. I love weizen, but trying to get drunk by drinking large amounts of weizen is also not a good idea. For me at least. I envy people who don't get a headache at all no matter what or how much they drink...

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LaserWash posted:

My wife and I have finally booked all of our plane tickets, pensions, and hotels for our trip this summer. This will be our second tour of Germany. Our first trip was our honeymoon in which we took a bike tour along the Rhine from Mainz to Cologne. This will be our first trip into Bavaria.

We'll be leaving in early June, following the path of Wurzburg, Munich, Fussen, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and back to the Rhine (Bacharach) for our last few nights. We're arriving and leaving through Frankfurt and will use the train system to get around. Staying for exactly 2 weeks and really glad we booked plane tickets early since ticket prices have soared since then.

We plan on hitting up the usual touristy spots, doing some bike riding in Fussen, along the Rhine, and possibly outside of Rothenburg.

Any suggestions on things that we don't want to miss that may be off the beaten path?

Beside the obvious Schloss Neuschwanstein visit, bike riding around Füssen is a great idea. You should do a Forggenseerunde: http://www.bikemap.net/route/50174#lat=47.60223&lng=10.71785&zoom=12&type=2
Beautiful scenery, although the lake (it's an artificial one) may not yet be completely filled up in early June.

And since you're in the area you should also visit the "Kössel Bräu Sudhaus": http://www.koessel-braeu.de/index.shtml
Their beer is great and it's an insider tip around here.
Edit: Don't know if their food is any good though, I only ever got wasted there :cheers:

bronin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 17, 2011

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LaserWash posted:

We already planned on doing this. Which direction should we go for the best views? Clockwise or counterclockwise? We also thought of making a half trip where we would take the boat across the length of the lake and then bike back into Füssen.

Starting from Füssen I'd say clockwise. The east of the Forggensee is imo more beautiful landscapewise and you'll have a better view on the alps iirc. God I can't wait for spring/summer to do this again myself.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Tricolor posted:

When travelling by train, how much luggage will I be allowed to carry?
I'm planning to fly to Germany via Berlin and then take a train to Leipzig from there. I'll be packing a carry-on backpack or bag and a roller trolley bag with a lot of stuff in it - it'll probably be the 20 or 30kg worth of items.

There's no limit for luggage on trains. Not that I know of anyway.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
You guys and your "what city is the best talk"... Cities suck.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ziir posted:

what do y'all thank of our cheese commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubvam3YtyI4

I don't even... what the... holy gently caress :psyboom:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQex1NwzBO0

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Greyhawk posted:

Wer soll denn das glauben. Niemand hört gern Volksmusik.

Speak for yourself there, bro. :colbert:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
basically: gently caress the police

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Potato salad needs vinegar :colbert:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

bmxerguy posted:

So I have been looking for train tickets from Dresden on raileurope and noticed that they are all $400 more then anywhere else. Muenchen to Salzburg is $100 and Dresden to Salzburg is $500. Anywhere from Dresden is like this. Does anyone know why? I'm staying in Dresden for the summer so this sucks.

I would use the "Bayernticket" from Munich to Salzburg. For some 20€ you can use any S-Bahn, U-Bahn whatever in Bavaria and get to Salzburg. Don't know if you can use public transportation in Salzburg with the ticket but going to and from there is no problem.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Why would you even want to get in such a place. I will never understand that elitist/random bullshit. If they don't want my money, gently caress em.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

the posted:

Driving out of Munich to Fuessen tomorrow. Anything especially important I need to know about driving on German roads?

What Saladman said. Füssen will be a hellhole to drive in/through this time of the year though. loving tourists everywhere.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
^^^^^^
Just drink beer with every meal. Problem solved.

LaserWash posted:

We'll be part of the problem in about 3 weeks. We're taking the train though. You are welcome.

the posted:

I'll be one of them :haw:

Oh don't worry, I live 20km north of Füssen. Haven't been there in a while :)

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Edit:
And why is everyone going to Füssen?

Schloss Neuschwanstein

bronin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 20, 2011

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hungry Gerbil posted:

:doh:

Born in Bavaria, never been there. That's what makes a true Bavarian. :smug:

Born in Bavaria, never been to Oktoberfest. That's what makes a true Bavarian :smug:
I've only been to Neuschwanstein because my non-Bavarian ex-girlfriend wanted to see it.

Or maybe it was more like:
:j:: "Is there anything interesting here?"
:v:: "Uhm... I don't know... I guess we could go to Neuschwanstein..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

irohol15 posted:

Lastly, I studied Finnish for 3 years and can speak it pretty fluently. I'm also studying German, but am afraid that I won't learn enough in time. Should I fall back on Finnish if I don't know how to say what I want to in German or should I just fall back on English?

Is this a serious question? :wtc: Noone in Germany speaks Suomi.