Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
You do remember correctly.

Just like the online booking engine the ticket machines let you choose whatever BahnCard you have and apply the respective discount. So usually it's enough to show up at the station five minute before your train is set to leave, purchase the ticket and hop on.

However, if you want to reserve a special seat (e.g. with a power outlet for your laptop computer) you will have to do that at the travel centre as the machine only lets you choose whether you want to sit in a compartment, window or aisle seat and mobile phone zone or quiet zone.

Also beware that the BahnCard discount is only applied to regional and long-distance tickets. Local trains have different fare systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Unfortunately. I assume you're familiar with the red blocks then.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
"Materielles Liegenschaftsrecht im Grundbuchverfahren"? I do feel sorry for you now.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Hardly. Give yourself at least three days for the major sights, five days if you really want to experience the city.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

dooshy posted:

And I hardly ever see Germans traveling in the U.S. outside of new york, why not? It's cheaper for you these days, and who doesn't want to see Texas?
The others may want to correct me but in my experience for Germans the US are the coastal areas, i.e. NY, New England, Florida, California and some natural sights like Grand Canyon and Yosemite National Park.

Everything else is basically not on the map, as in nobody would get the idea to go on a vacation to e.g. Iowa because that thought never ever crosses your mind.

Some states do conjure up stereotypes, e.g. Texas is "cowboys, guns, oil, Bush, rednecks, half desert half prairie, barren wasteland in cultural terms." If that's the first thing you think about would you want to go there?

About the nazi stereotyping: You get used to it and usually it's not meant in a serious way but rather just as a stupid joke.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

satiat posted:

What is the attitude towards tourists who can only pronounce a couple of phrases? Will people try to speak English, or just ignore the dumb tourists?
Absolutely no problem. People will understand your mangled German and then switch the conversation to English themselves because they love to practice their English. Just don't expect the majority to be able to hold a decent conversation (they will try, though).

quote:

What kind of cultural food is there besides sausage and sauerkraut? I cannot say that I am a fan of either, but all the bakeries mentioned have my mouth watering.
That really depends on the region you're visiting, just like cultural/traditional food differs in the US (assuming you're from there). In Munich try Weißwurst (white sausage) with Brezn and sweet mustard, in Berlin try Currywurst. In any given town just ask someone for a restaurant with traditional cuisine and you should find plenty of options that are neither sausage nor sauerkraut. Also, yes, the bakeries are great and don't forget the beer (in every small town there's a brewery).

quote:

Are there any societal dos and don’t? Such as flicking someone the middle finger as an insult, or any other taboos?
What vanDeet said. Just use your common sense and you won't have a problem. No stupid "Hey, you all Nazis, right?"/"You lost the war!" jokes because most Germans don't find that funny.

quote:

How much does a train ticket usually run? Say, from Munich to Berlin, or into another country?
Trains are expensive. Munich-Berlin (one way) at full fare will cost >100 EUR per person on the fast train. However, there are discounts available if you book in advance (up to 50%). All the different ticket types, their restrictions, their pricing and discount-ability are too complicated to explain here so try the Bahn.de website or maybe some specific train travel website like seat61.com.

You'll have a great time in Germany! It's a beautiful country with lots to see and do, so don't worry too much about it.

If you have any further questions just shoot!

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

palmy posted:

Some friends and I are planning a year-long trip to Germany. To live there and work.
If I were to get a job in the service industry (like a waiter), would residents be ordering in English, or should I learn some German?
Visa questions aside, this is a terrible idea.

If you really think you can just get a job waiting tables to cover your living expenses as you go, you have a lot more planning to do.

In any city in Germany that has enough internationals to create a significant demand for English-language bars/pubs/restaurants/etc. there will be more than enough students competing for those jobs and unlike you they speak German, English and maybe a third language.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Pronunciation and the surprise that a US-American would know a rather strange word like "schnitzel"?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Gatac posted:

We're not all xenophobic neonazis, honest! :)
That's what you want us to believe!

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Cjones posted:

So what about the non-US Americans?
We don't have too many visitors from other parts of the Americas. But I guess the same reasons, though I guess a Spanish/Portuguese/French pronunciation doesn't sound that unfamiliar.

Honestly, any visitor who knows some German and/or tries to speak some German is something totally unexpected, especially if they use rather strange words like "schnitzel". We probably think it's very flattering and the pronunciation is cute. Combine this with the fact that we know our language is very difficult and do not have any national pride or self-esteem and the result will be giggling. It's really like the fat, ugly girl in school who for the first time gets a compliment and doesn't know how to react.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my arse, I don't know...

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

vanDeet posted:

drat, how did that happen :ohdear:
Something about them :jewish:... (please, I'm not an anti-Semite, don't judge me :ohdear: :germany:)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Ah, the Swiss! I remember a few months ago I watched a documentary on German TV about some Swiss kids in one of those "send troublemakers on an adventure trip so they learn how to follow rules and behave in a social setting" programmes. All the conversations were subtitled :eng99:.

Anyway, grüezi!

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Others will probably be more knowledge-able but over the past few years there's been a wave of German indie bands. Have a look at "Kettcar" (video) , "Tomte" (video) and "Tocotronic" (video). Also check out "Peter Fox" (video).

For electro-rap-punk (don't know how to describe it), check out "Deichkind" (video).

"Anett Louisan" for chansons (video).

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Insurance companies offer special tariffs for students. I pay 66 EUR per month, to give you an idea. Offers the basics that public insurance companies have to offer, so basically everything with moderate co-payments (e.g. 10 EUR for first visit to a doctor per quarter, max 5 EUR co-pay per prescription drug... more for dental work and glasses). I don't really know all the details because who cares? You're sick you go to the doctor's and usually it will cost you less than 20 EUR.

Don't know how it works for a foreigner, though. Have a look if your parents' plan covers your studies abroad, that's the first step, I'd say!

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

I wear contacts so I'm trying to decide if I'd want to get a new batch of contacts before I left the States, or if it'd be cheaper to get them in Germany. Either way, I'd need a new checkup to get a prescription. Does anyone know how much it would cost for me to see an eye doctor and to buy contact lenses in Germany?
I don't know which plan you'll be on, but contact lenses are usually not covered by public insurance (if I'm not mistaken). If you know what strength you need, you can just buy them at home. If you don't need anything special, usually the optician will do a check to determine the strength of glasses/lenses for free. At the doctor's it should cost you the 10 EUR co-pay if it's your first visit to a doctor's in that quarter.

Can't help you out with the prices, though. Maybe do a google search for "kontaktlinsen preis" or something like that.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

Edit: How much does it cost for a Bahncard 25 or 50? Bahn.de simply says that a discount is available for students under the age of 27, but doesn't list prices for it. It does say a regular BahnCard 25 is €57 (I assume per year) though. Which seems like a pretty good deal. I just priced a ICE train from Köln to Berlin and it came up to be over €200 round trip without a card. I always thought train travel in Europe was suppose to be cheap :/.
Take the normal prices for BahnCard (they are per year), slash them in half, voilà: price for students (BahnCard 50 is something like 116 EUR for students)

Train travel is generally very expensive in Germany, but there are many discounts available.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Liface posted:

BahnCard 50 is an incredible deal. I think mine paid for itself within the first two months.
Definitely, I've had the 50 for, I don't know, 5 years now. Sweet deal because I don't have to plan ahead to get a good discount for a specific train but can just arrive at the station and buy a ticket for the next possible connection.

quote:

If you do get a BahnCard, make sure to send a cancellation letter at the end of the year, or two years, or whatever. They don't really make it clear that it's a recurring charge:
http://bahnblog.agentur-65.com/2007/05/05/bahncard-kuendigen-leicht-gemacht-update/
I think for foreigners they offer to cancel it at once if you ask them to so you don't have to worry about that.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
My 2 cents on some of your questions:

Trowadeath posted:

Some things I would like to know
- Will my credits from my cc transfer over there?
This is something only the responsible at the respective university can tell you, but taking a guess I'd say: probably not.

quote:

- Language: 3 quarters at a CC is not gonna be enough, so will I be able to take German courses and get my BS at the same place?
Most (all?) universities offer German language courses for foreigners (look for "Deutsch als Fremdsprache"/"DaF").

quote:

- How much will it cost?
This may depend on the university. At mine the fee for the semester course is 400 EUR. Though there are some courses which are free, but right now I can't be arsed to find out what the difference is. The coordinator at the respective university should be able to help you.

quote:

- Will I be able to find a job easily with my (initially) poor german skills? (to support myself while going to school)
Most likely not. Let's put it this way: The typical student jobs are waitress/bartender. You speak English and define your German as poor. 90% of the people applying for the same job are native German speakers and will have at least a decent grasp of English. Your mileage might vary in a big city like Berlin where there are English speaking expat communities and many tourists. But in Magdeburg? Most likely not, no.

quote:

- I've heard that a budget of around $1000 a month is to be expected. Is this about right for everything included (tuition/books/WG/food/transportation/fun)? And will I be able to support myself with a part-time job very well?
USD 1,000/EUR 750 should be more than enough in Magdeburg. You could probably get by on EUR 600.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Fasheem posted:

The more serious problem here is that the student visa has extreme limits on the amount of work you are allowed to do. You can learn to speak German, but you can't change the visa rules.
That's of course true and I didn't even think about it.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Fasheem posted:

You must be German. :v:
Guilty :germany:

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
No.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Engineering, computer science, medicine are the ones that come to mind.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

The vibe I'm getting from talking to my European friends that I met on vacation seems to be that there is a general shortage of engineers in Europe, and you just reinforced that (at east for Germany). Why is that?
I'm not going to go into the under-lying reasons (e.g. maths/physics not taught in a fun way in school) but when people choose their uni subject and even think about engineering the thought process is something like this: "Sure, there are jobs in that sector but, gently caress, it's too difficult, too much maths and physics and only nerds do that poo poo."

Example: My high school graduating class consisted of 40 people and only 5 or 6 of those went into any of the sciences (biology, computer science, aerospace engineering, maths, physics).

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 14, 2010

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

unixbeard posted:

It seemed to me like studying engineering was kind of the default for Germans who finished high school and didn't know what to do. That is purely anecdotal though and based off a very small, probably biased sample (im a nerd so tend to meet nerdy people). It does seem like there is a shortage though. Will be interesting to see if the migration policy changes. The differences in the academic systems probably didn't help either.
I guess that's because of your sample, as you said. Default options for people who don't know what to do are generally: teaching, business administration, economics, law

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Tiko posted:

My original plan is to start in Berlin and work our way down to Munich for the end of the trip, but I wasn't sure if it would be wise to stop in several cities along the way or just start in Berlin, make our way to somewhere like Frankfurt, and then finally end up in Munich.
Don't go to Frankfurt, unless you're into museums. Apart from that Frankfurt is not really interesting. Recommended cities (apart from Berlin), even though they might not be on the direct way to Munich (but then keep in mind that Germany is small, you can go from the very north to the very south in something like 8 hours by car): Hamburg, Cologne, Heidelberg, Dresden

quote:

I know the price will vary depending on where we go, transportation we choose, hotels, and a variety of factors....but what seems to be a range to aim for in terms of saving up for 2 weeks in Germany? I have other questions but I'll just start here and go from there. Thanks!
As you said, it all depends on various factors, so it's really not possible to give you a price range. You could do Germany on 40 EUR/day/person (staying in hostels, using slow trains, eating only stuff from the supermarket) and you can do it on 500 EUR/day/person (staying in 5-star hotels, using fast trains, eating out every night in the best restaurants...), so unless you tell us a bit about your budget or what you're looking for it's pretty much impossible to give you any ideas.

Personally if I had to tour Germany for an anniversary, I would stay in decent hotels (4 star), use fast trains, eat out at a decent restaurant maybe every three days... I would budget about 120 EUR/day/person.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

Why is everything in Germany so slow? Opened a bank account last week, still waiting for the bank card to be sent to me. Until I get it, I can't do anything and I'm running out of money (I have all of my other money in an online account in America, but I'm waiting for the German one to open to transfer it over).
Of course you can do something: Go to the bank with your account number (which you should already know, otherwise go to the bank and ask for it) during business hours, go up to the teller and tell him you want to withdraw X EUR. Voilà.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

Speaking of bus cards and busses, am I suppose to always go in busses in the front door so that I pass the driver (and then wave him my bus card as I walk past like I see others do?), or is it OK to go in on the back/middle doors too? I see people doing both, but I'm pretty sure the doors say to please go in front.
Depends on your city. In my town they introduced the "only get on in front and show your ticket" rule about two years ago.

quote:

Also, when restaurants/cafes have tables set up outside in the plaza, can I just go sit down at one of them and a server will come to me? Or do I go to them first and tell them I want a seat like in the US? On a similar note, do people tip here? I've never tipped before when I was in Germany, but I spent a month in Switzerland where it was considered polite to tip there on top of the outrageously expensive food.
Sit down and a waiter will come eventually. Yes, you should tip but there's no fixed percentage or "1 USD per drink" like in the US. What you usually do is round up to the nearest round number (but not excessively so). E.g. a beer costs 2.70 EUR, I give them 3 EUR and say "Stimmt so.", if the beer is 2.90, I'd pay 3 or maybe 3.50 depending on my mood, a meal at the restaurant comes out to 12.10 EUR I pay 13 EUR. But e.g. if it's 17.30 I wouldn't round up to 20 EUR, 18, maybe 18.50, should be enough. Also, when I'm short on money I sometimes don't tip (and don't feel bad about it). Also, don't tip at fast food places (like Döner or whatever).

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

bronin posted:

Edit: beaten to it... But I like how we used the same beer example :eng101:
Seems like that's sort of a normal price all over the place ;). Also, we used the same price of 17.30 EUR for a larger sum even though I find your tip excessive (or am I just a cheap bastard :ohdear:?)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

elwood posted:

17,30 is a bad example because if you say 18, you might as well not tip at all, 20 is too much and I would feel silly if I make it 18,50 or 19 and get 1 or 1,50 back.
That's exactly why it's a good example, imho. You will have totals like that and if and how you tip on this and the differences in what you give (underlining the fact that there's no hard 10% or whatever rule and illustrated by your thought process) are the interesting subtleties. FWIW, I'd do 18.50 and not feel silly. That's 1.20 EUR, which should be enough. And for those 1.50 EUR I get back I can get meself a beer at the next petrol station, yay.

Fake Edit: or do as MyLovelyHorse says.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: it's also €40 if they do catch you
Plus a criminal procedure, at least for repeat offenders (don't know how Berlin handles this)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Here is a good exercise for all people trying to learn German:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmI2m06YFfc

Great song, but I only understand about 10% of the lyrics and I'm from Munich.
Seriously, this is unintelligible gibberish for everyone who's not Austrian mountain folk. I can understand most of it when reading the lyrics along with the song but otherwise not even 10%. So to anyone who wants to learn German in Vorarlberg (?) dialect: beware that nobody will understand you!

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Im going by buying tickets for me and somone and ill just check the tickets if noone else can go (ryanair ones are going mega cheap to dusseldorf, frankfurt and munich)
Keep in mind that the airfields Ryanair uses are neither in Düsseldorf nor in Frankfurt or Munich but rather in Weeze, Hahn and Memmingen respectively, which means you're looking at a ~2 hour bus or train ride to get to the actual city.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Augustiner Edelstoff or :frogout:
Wrong. Augustiner Hell.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

unlock posted:

Why don't you go gently caress yourself
poo poo poster indeed.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

LaserWash posted:

It's probably the old, settled down person in me talking, but my wife and I loved Germany for the small towns. We're going back this summer for more smaller towns. Munich and Würzburg for a few days each, but that's it for larger towns on our two week trip.
If you have any questions about Würzburg, feel free to drop me a line. I grew up there and occasionally work as a tour guide in Würzburg.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

Got some questions about German CVs, could anyone tell me some guidelines for what Germans are/aren't looking for? For example in America, we're told to keep it short to one page unless we've got years upon years of experience to warrant the extra pages. We don't attach pictures to our resumes or CVs though I think some countries in the EU/EEA prefer that. We don't list every single job we've held, just relevant ones to the job I'm applying for, etc.
Generally it's the same in Germany, i.e. keep it short and relevant. However, a photo is considered a "must". People expect a "Bewerbungsfoto", i.e. you should go to a photographer and shell out a few euros to get a decent one. It's also customary to include copies of reports from jobs you held in the past ("Arbeitszeugnis", "Praktikumszeugnis"...) and a copy of your diploma instead of just listing references.

Of course this always depends on whether you're applying for an entry-level job straight out of uni (all of the above applies), a part-time job flipping burgers (photo still important, copies of qualification not so much) or are changing companies sometime later in your career.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

LaserWash posted:

Just running a google search pulls up a list of about 20-40 schools in Germany alone. So I suspect that it's not all that uncommon for people to send their kids to English speaking grade and high schools. Some of these look like pretty snobby schools. Are they?
From what I can tell by a quick glance at the sites they seem to cater to diplomats, expats and German upper-middle class. The Frankfurt International School charges tuition fees of about 17,000 EUR, whereas normal public education is free in Germany. I would say it is very, very uncommon for people to send their kids to these types of schools. Personally I know nobody who attended such a school. But then again I'm not from a Mr. Fancy Pants background.

Edit: had a look at the ISF site now and, holy crap, they seem like a bunch of snobs: they have recommended chauffeur services in case your precious little angel cannot stomach public transport and then the 15 minute walk from the nearest train station...

quote:

In that vein, what do you guys know about English speaking colleges in Germany? Common/Uncommon? Do they try to hire from within EU or do they hire from around the world (i.e. EVIL Americans)?
If by college you mean university: very uncommon at Bachelor level. Universities generally just offer English-speaking programs at Master, PhD and post-doc levels. They would probably prefer to hire from within the EU (my hypothesis!) and even within Germany, as employing non-EU citizens is a bureaucratic nightmare with the German immigration laws.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 5, 2011

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Previously on GBS posted:

PhD programs in Germany usually do not include any taught classes, postdocs never take classes, they give them.
You're right, sorry, I got confused there.

quote:

Nationalities do not really matter in the academic job market, at least not with respect to immigration laws.
I would guess that would depend on what the job is about. The respective law (Aufenthaltsgesetz) makes it significantly easier for non-EU citizens who want to work in research to get the residence permit. If the job does not meet the requirements for this then the default regulations would apply. And those are a pain in the rear end (have you tried to employ a non-EU citizen before?)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Nord-Neukölln > Kreuzberg 36 > Friedrichshain > Kreuzberg 61

Disclaimer: I live in Nord-Neukölln so I might be biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Nord-Neukölln is the part of Neukölln inside the S-Bahn-Ring (roughly between Tempelhof Airport in the West, Hermannplatz in the North, Landwehrkanal/Neuköllner Schifffahrtskanal in the East and the S-Bahn stops Hermannstraße, Neukölln and Sonnenallee in the South.) Neukölln goes a lot further south with the Buckow, Rudow, Britz and Gropiusstadt neighbourhoods but there is nothing there.

I place Nord-Neukölln at the top of the list because:

a) it has some nice, hip, counter-culture places (specifically around Weserstraße, Boddinstraße and Schillerpromenade; not many clubs, though);
b) it's not over-run by tourists, yet, i.e. it's fairly relaxed and quiet;
c) it's very Arab influenced which makes for a really laid-back vibe, many small cheap shops and great food options;
d) it's well connected by public transport to anything of interest (U8 is especially handy if you like going out); and
e) it's generally just significantly cheaper to live in than the other three neighbourhoods I mentioned.

36 (the Eastern part of Kreuzberg, roughly from U Kottbusser Tor to U Schlesisches Tor) is way edgier than 61 (the Western part). I find 61 to be a bit too "bourgeois" (for lack of a better term) for my tastes whereas 36 is just way more interesting and has a better nightlife.

Personally I wouldn't want to live near U Gneisenaustraße (yes, it's 61). Some friends of mine live there and apart from the area around Bergmannstraße there are not too many options for nightlife and I don't find Bergmannstraße very interesting (too posh and the food options are basically 12 Indian restaurants). If you end up there, well, it's not far from 36, Neukölln and Friedrichshain.