Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
As far as East Germany goes, what sort of things one can engage in around May-June? I'm talking about something apart from the typical tourist attractions. (If it makes any difference, I'm interested in Leipzig)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
Are there many work opportunities for foreign students?

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009

Fasheem posted:

Any advice for international student applications? All the info I can find online focuses around exchange student stuff and it doesn't help me. Maybe there is a lot of information available in other languages, but it seems really uncommon for English speakers to do a full degree in Germany.

Most universities have a website with an International Students page, you could check those out. The application website, uni-assist, is also available in English. That's how I'm submitting my application.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
What is the difference between a pharmacy and an apotheke in Germany? If I'm looking for cosmetic beauty products, shampoo, toothpaste, anti-headache medicine, where do I go?

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
When travelling by train, how much luggage will I be allowed to carry?
I'm planning to fly to Germany via Berlin and then take a train to Leipzig from there. I'll be packing a carry-on backpack or bag and a roller trolley bag with a lot of stuff in it - it'll probably be the 20 or 30kg worth of items.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
I'm going to go to Leipzig in September and will be staying there for a while. I've got a choice of living in student housing and renting a one-room flat of my own.

When renting, are there any German specifics I should look out for? For instance, there's a separate fixed amount you pay, Nebenkosten - what might be included in it, apart from electricity, water, heating? What about getting my trash picked up, is that somehow arranged differently, or is it on a flat by flat basis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009

elwood posted:

Define for a while.
For atleast a year.
I'm actually debating whether to go furnished or not, but that's a story for another thread.

As far as noise levels go,I've heard all sorts of anecdotes about getting the police called on some noise-maker or a party. How would you handle things like noise, an evening party with friends? Is it really all that...strict?