Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trowadeath posted:

Yeah, probably because it should have been in this sub-forum? I wasn't quite sure since it is kind of a multi topic post. Oh well.

Right now I'm looking at Uni Magdeburg which scored pretty high on the che rankings, and seems to have a good international program. Anybody have any input on this place?

As for funding from DAAD, will I be able to apply for scholarships for any university I choose to go to? Or do I have to go to the very specific "international programs" they have listed?

I can vouch for Magdeburg, a close friend of mine studies CS there and likes it quite a lot.

Also, I think you could survive on less than 1000$, especially since the rents in Magdeburg tend to be relatively low.
Furthermore, Sachsen-Anhalt does not charge study fees and the semester-fee seems to be rather low at ~60€

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Broken Dictionary posted:

Can police just randomly search you in Germany?
A friend and I were walking back home one night and the police stopped us and wanted to search my friend's backpack because he looked like "he was on drugs" or some poo poo.
My friend let them search his backpack and the police found nothing and that was it.

How do German laws searches, warrants, etc. compare to U.S. ones?

One thing to keep in mind that might come in handy: In most (probably all) states the policemen have to give you a receipt about the time, place and reason for the search if you ask for it. This may be useful if the search causes you to miss an appointment, train or whatever. Alternatively you can just use that to annoy them if they singled you out for nothing. Also you can always insist of being present while they search your stuff.

The specific paragraph for the receipt varies based on states, but it's usually in the POlG or SOG under "Durchsuchung von Sachen"

Come on now, I was joking. Besides, if you stay polite there isn't really much they could/would do to you only because you insisted on a right of yours.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 30, 2011