Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All your Heidelberg stations are quite close to each other so you'll probably have time to go to the Thingstätte, although to be on the safe side I'd set aside 2 - 3.5 hours for the way there and back - never went up there myself, and different sites give different estimates for the way but it's generally between 45 and 80-90 minutes, one way.

My general advice for Heidelberg would be to take the train to Karlstorbahnhof and start your old town tour from there, it's not long on foot at all and it's a nice walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could always order more drinks until you arrive at a sum that gives you a more comfortable bill/tip ratio after rounding up. :eng101:

I'm always tempted to say something like "make it 18,73." Maybe one day if the service was bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Definitely casual. As a matter of fact dressing formal for everyday university business would be seen as downright eccentric. (Exceptions include subjects closely related to economy.)

Not sure about the rest, could you narrow it down? Maybe list some standard US scenes and fashion styles and we can give equivalents and point out similarities and differences? Depending on how deep you want to go into the subject there's really rather a lot of "scenes".

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 16, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They do check but it's really quite rare that you'll actually walk into them. Hell you'll probably see more street paper vendors than people who check tickets.

I mean I'm not gonna tell you "hell yes buddy never pay again" but there's no denying facts and it's not like it's a closely guarded secret, either.

e: it's also €40 if they do catch you

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 17, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Since we seem to be linking blogs about How Things Are In Germany, this one's not bad: http://www.ichwerdeeinberliner.com. I particularly recommend the entries about soft drinks and supermarkets.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure the shelf toilets are on their way out but I bet there are a lot of them left in older Berlin apartment buildings. My bathroom was put in just a year ago and doesn't have one. Lucky me.

Haven't ever seen a drain in the bathroom floor though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It involves drugs and a whole lot of denial.

Just wait until snow season starts, last year winter services broke down almost entirely and the pavements were iced over inches thick for weeks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd probably go with "auf Schatzsuche." Sounds nicely natural.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sereri posted:

It does? Not to me; both sound perfectly reasonable. Try to substitute it with Student or Lastwagenfahrer or something and look if it still sounds wrong to you.
If you want to keep a bunch of English-native German speakers busy for a while, substitute it with "Berliner."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That sounds exactly like how Andreas Brandhorst translates Terry Pratchett's troll speech.

It does have something to with job designation, I just looked it up and learned the word "Nullartikel" in the process (used when there is neither a definite nor indefinite article). Specifically it says here you don't use an article when you're talking about someone's job, religion, function or nationality, unless there is an additional attribute:

"Er ist Koch" ("He's a cook") / "Er ist ein guter Koch" ("He's a good cook")

There's also a difference between using a job designation and using a word to judge someone. So I guess you'd say:

"Er ist Abenteurer" when it's his actual job, and
"Er ist ein Abenteurer" when you want to express that he's simply the kind of person who actively goes out looking for kicks in unusual situations. But he's actually a bank clerk or something. Note that this usage is often slightly disparaging.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plus at least this way it's good for something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Brokyn posted:

Speaking of taco shells, has Mexican -- or really any Central American -- cuisine taken any kind of noticeable foothold in Germany or the rest of Europe? To me, it seems like it would be completely out of place and probably looked down upon very harshly. Like every little Mexican cantina would be on the same level as a Taco Bell.
Don't think so, I'm sure you can find good Mexican restaurants in many of the major cities but I wouldn't call that a noticable foothold. What you mostly get, as far as restaurants are concerned, is Italian, döner kebab and falafel places (which can range all the way from "lovely money laundrette" to "actual Turkish restaurant that sells döner mainly because Germans expect that") and nondescript "Asian" food, which has more or less the same problems as the döner places although I think you can find good Asian restaurants - i.e. ones that actually stick to a specific cuisine, and do it well - slightly more easily.

Also it can be tough to find more exotic foods in supermarkets, I'm having the hardest time finding things like Indian mixed pickles. The store in my neighborhood, which otherwise caters exclusively to septua- and octagenarians, started carrying some recently which is nothing short of a miracle and I'm seriously considering buying every single jar. And one time in a supermarket I found some alleged Thai red curry paste with apricots in it so buyer beware.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 8, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

WG or you can probably already get your own little apartment, although it's not exactly going to be luxurious and probably in Kreuzberg, Neukölln or Moabit. Either way 650 is extremely realistic. A good percentage of the total populace probably lives on less.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One concession I'd make is I'd go for a place that has at least some form of central heating, there are still a lot of places with stove heating which is cheaper in rent but also a huge pain in the arse. You'll be getting up in the dead of night to keep the fire going and lugging coal around every few days and at the end of it all you'll still be cold.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jiminy Krimpet posted:

Why are Germans so apprehensive about Google Street View? The reaction to seeing one's home on GSV seems to be :aaa: no matter where you live, but in America that face means AWESOME and in Germany it means something less positive, from what I gather.
It's part of a larger apprehension towards the internet as a whole that stems largely from a lack of first-hand knowledge and false information. Many Germans tend to consider the risks and dangers of new technologies first and foremost, if not altogether exclusively, and news media are often eager to supply them with all the material they could ever need for that. Positive aspects tend to fall under the table and negative aspects tend to get embellished. For example, some people - some of them held in some regard - believe that Street View offers real-time images because they have no idea how it works and no one bothered to inform them. Another particular risk that was thrown around was that Street View could offer burglars a way to scope out a neighboorhood and look for good entry points.

So essentially it's a general fear of the unfamiliar paired with a desire for older, simpler times when you knew what's what. I think there's also a certain desire for authority in Germany, i.e. when confronted with a new phenomenon the populace tends to look for an expert who can tell them whether it's a good or a bad thing rather than figure it out on their own, which leaves the door open for pretty much everyone. And bad news apparently just plain sell better.

There is also a current in traditional media that paints Google as an antagonist; many newspaper publishers are pushing for a law to keep Google from displaying their headlines and article snippets in search results, claiming it's hurting their business and Google unduly makes money from their work (that they put online themselves, mind). I wouldn't go so far as to claim that there's a large-scale campaign against Google as a whole (many do), but this happening in the higher-ups might give reports about Google's projects a certain spin, perhaps not even consciously.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I keep reading "ich möchte Wein saufen" :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Put some in black tea to make Jagertee, and if you ever find yourself thinking "hmm this drink is okay but it would be much better if it was on fire" Stroh 80's got your back.

The stuff's main use is for mixing, I guess it's sort of the local equivalent of Everclear, except with its own taste.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 12, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I approve of this usage. Neckermann does have a flamingo, but it might be a tad expensive. Also who can tell if that thing is hollow the way you'd need it. I also found this but the same applies.

You could do some cultural adapting and just lop the tip off a garden gnome's hat.

Comedy/budget/largest potential for bodily harm option:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably hard to nail down, but I googled around and found figures of about 600-700 calories for one. Not sure how good this site's information is but it has a decent breakdown of common ingredients. (Lower calorie count because that entry is specifically for a döner made with chicken.)

Biggest contributors to the calorie count are probably the bread and meat, naturally, as well as the sauce, which should be mostly yoghurt. You also have to see the "healthiest fast food available" as relative to other common fast foods. It's healthier mainly in that currywurst and fries or a McDonald's burger don't tend to have a salad stuffed in there as well. The thinking is that having bread and fatty meat and raw vegetables is healthier than having bread and fatty meat and no vegetables at all.

e: oh yeah, and the vertical grilling method means that theoretically excess fat drips down and is discarded but a lot of döner places toss the shaved off meat around in the puddle of fat a bit for flavour so there's that potential benefit lost.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 16, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For some reason it got popular as a football chant and from there I guess it spread to any sort of mass gathering.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think I know Sandstorm, let me youtube that - oh hello song my neighbor would play incessantly every day in the old apartment with the rice paper walls, didn't think we'd meet again. :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Only in Baden-Württemberg, Sachsen-Anhalt and Bavaria. Anywhere else should be business as usual.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The only proper way is to do it with someone else's teeth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zwille posted:

Really, once you get the general idea it's not hard to open a beer bottle that's not a screw-top. Friend of mine used to watch so many US television he got used to thinking he could open up beer bottles that way it that he once hosed up his hand trying to twist open a German bottle.
Aren't there screw-top bottles anymore? We used to get them all the time but that was a few years ago. Incidentally that same thing happened to a friend of mine as well after he neglected to check if his bottle actually was one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hungry Gerbil posted:

I personally think that the 'tzlschw' part in 'Oachkatzlschwoaf' makes it more difficult to pronounce. But I'm really not sure.
Those are at least all phonemes that exist in English as well while the first one is all over the place. You can get either the umlauts or the fricatives or both wrong and if you don't you can still get confused over the 'sch'. Probably depends altogether on if you're asking someone to read them or repeat after hearing, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HopefullyWild posted:

Germans: Tell me everything. What's Berlin like? Anything in particular I should make a point of seeing/doing? What upsets you most about foreigners (particularly Americans)?

Can anyone tell me anything about Fulda? German punk scene in the 80's? The mother's main band was "little rabbit mafia", I don't remember the special German word for "little rabbit". It'd be neat if they were a relatively big band, she's really humble, so I can't get a good read.
"Häschenmafia" maybe? Never heard of a band like that, unfortunately, and Google only brings up two pages of silly social network usergroups. Must have been really underground.

Berlin is generally pretty laid-back (some areas moreso than others) and full of museums, clubs, music venues and movie theaters. Also places of historic interest. The major landmarks (Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag, Friedrichstraße, Siegessäule) are all more or less within walking distance to each other so you could comfortably visit all of those within a day. The Reichstag building offers guided tours, which are interesting if you're into history and politics but there's usually a gigantic queue.

There's an organization that offers guided tours through some subterranean areas of Berlin, mostly old bunkers and a flak tower. I went on Tour D and it was pretty interesting how entire facilities are hidden behind regular doors in subway stations and under unremarkable grates in random streets. The museum of technology isn't bad either. Honestly you can probably satisfy any interests you have in some way here.

You should definitely make a point of eating as much döner as you can stand unless you're a vegetarian in which case they all offer falafel, too. Don't go for the cheapest one but don't pay more than €3 (and in Berlin that's already considered expensive, too).

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 24, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That really is a fantastic idea. As an additional gag and to play off the band name, you could take it to Tiergarten or Charlottenburg and try to get a picture of the can next to a few rabbits. :3:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They were absolutely huge in the late 80s and 90s, recently I think their mainstream popularity has decreased a bit although they're still very well known and regularly fill huge venues. The answer to the respected/mainstream question depends a lot on who you're talking to, you'll get both opinions. They partly started the band as a response to the super-serious "all cops are bastards" German punk rock so that's hardly a surprise. Personally I think their albums from the last 8-10 years were a tad boring but overall I can't hate too much on the guys, they have a lot of good songs and largely decent lyrics. Plus, y'know, nostalgia.

Album recommendations: Die Ärzte has a lot of what would become their staple songs at shows, Die Bestie in Menschengestalt was their hugely popular first new album after a long breakup, 13 is pretty decent, and I'd also recommend the live albums, Nach uns die Sintflut and Wir wollen nur deine Seele, which are both very long and feature a good mix of older and newer songs. In addition, they're pre- and post-breakup, respectively, which makes for a big difference in sound quality, playing style and general feeling.

e: I should probably explain the breakup thing if I'm going on about it like that: in their first years they had a bassist who was a dick and was consequently dumped, leaving them as a two-piece band who hired a bassist for tours until they broke up. After a few years they got back together, brought in a new bassist who was cool and contributed with his own material in a huge way, and that and the improved interpersonal relationship made for the aforementioned change.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 28, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BaconPigbutt posted:

How alchoolic is carnaval in koln?
How hot is the sun?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You'd think with how popular that movie is here, they'd at least have caught on to the fact that whipping the cream is not on (it really should be cream and not milk, though). Last time I ordered one it was blatantly whipped cream from a can, too, which is super nasty.

While we're at it, I'm reliably told that if you order absinthe many bars will give you a shot, no water or sugar or anything. That always struck me as an odd way of doing business, putting something on the menu you don't know how to serve. Then again most bars probably serve Tabu or something similar to begin with, so no big loss.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not enough pictures of the mise en place, whipping process and finished product lovingly plated by candlelight for a true GWS leak. Kinda would like to see that for simple whipped cream now though.

But it's true, when a recipe calls for whipped cream most Germans won't immediately think of the canned stuff. That's more for when you serve cake or something spontaneously or didn't have time to prepare whipped cream. It's got the air of being caught off guard about it. Usually you still combine this

with this

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hungry Gerbil posted:

It's made with milk!
And doesn't have a bunch of holes in it!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The American White Russian: vodka, Kahlua, Easy Cheese

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ziir posted:

Considering how disgusting I think mushrooms are, Jägerschnitzel is out.
You could make the East German version. Bread and fry a thick slice of Jagdwurst, serve with tomato sauce and noodles.

Boy was I surprised when I moved from the West to the East and ordered Jägerschnitzel in the university cafeteria.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay I don't know a lot about photography and had to rely on google, but from the info on their website Fotoimpex looks pretty decent. Google Maps. And like Monochrom if they don't have what you need they can likely direct you to somewhere that does.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vanilla ice cream with hot fruit, usually raspberries, is definitely typically German and easy to make. Probably loses points on the transportability front though.

Milchreis is also very typical and should be easier to transport. Same principle as Grießbrei though, so if you don't want to bring that this probably isn't the right thing either. Really once you rule out cake, there's not a whole lot left.

Comedy option: Kalter Hund.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Did they place that stove so it can't be opened? :raise:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My basic reaction to the warnings was "oh my goodness cucumbers and tomatoes are going to be cheap as poo poo, time to stock up!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm moving from Berlin to Weimar in a few weeks. Initially I wasn't all that keen on it because my apartment is pretty great, plus, well, Berlin, but just now in the S-Bahn I sat between a pair of homophobic middle-eastern guys and a pair of xenophobic lesbians and I think I'm slowly getting warmed up to the idea of getting out of here for a while. :toot:

So, how's Weimar, what's there to do, any interesting places, shops or restaurants one should know about? Jena and Erfurt too of course. Are there any good comic book and independent video game shops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zwille posted:

So, Neukölln?
:golfclap: as it may be it was Wedding.

One of my buddies lives in Neukölln and I've walked around there at all times of the day and never knew it as anything other than a regular neighborhood, albeit with slightly more puke on the train platforms, but one time riding the S-Bahn on a Saturday night through Wedding on Christopher Street Day and

yeah actually I should have known, come to think of it.