Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The Techniker Krankenkasse is not a statuory sickness insurance agency, not a private one. Assuming eglibility for a private scheme, this might explain how the forms don't seem to make sense to you. Furthermore, the English language form of the TK is not as well designed as the German ones. Gold and Pager is correct, that a Pensioner's Social Security Number should not be necessary and would be provided if you have none. In the German language versions this is correctly spelled out. However, there exists a bilateral agreement regarding pension schemes between the United States and Germany. It appears to contain provisions which might allow you to be exempt from paying into the pension scheme in Germany (and therefore not needing a number).

All things considered, I would highly recommend you get in touch with a (German) lawyer to at least give you some pointers on the application process, as it is a legal question at heart. Considering your employer is a large corporation, chances are good that somebody there could point you to an office which is used to deal with such issues for Americans wanting to work in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zwille posted:

That sounds like the address issue is because of ordering online, not because it's required for prepaid cards. I can't confirm it but I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue at a brick & mortar store but then again you said earlier that the employee told you to use the store address so you obviously tried to buy it at a b&m store already.

It should be an issue at brick and mortar stores as well.

Telecommunication providers are required by law to verify certain data about their customers, among them their current adress. This used to not be applicable for pre-paid cards but was changed back in 2004.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

horse mans posted:

Goddamnit. There goes another week waiting for more bullshit mail and paying more bullshit per month.

Most reputable German online vendors also accept PayPal, which can be linked to a German bank account. There are also some payment systems that are basically prepaid cards.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

horse mans posted:

If I go through the trouble of closing the one account and opening the next it's going to be like three months from now when all the bullshit from not having any real identification to not knowing how my washing machine works settles down a little.

For the interested, registering a PayPal account requires the ability to view information associated with transactions, as they make a small deposit with some piece of data that they want you to provide back. Which requires what I guess people call a TAN block of numbers. Which I don't have. So I guess I'm done loving around with this until next week.

Unless PayPal's registration system has been changed since I created an account, it does not require you to transfer money directly over to PayPal. So you would not need a TAN. The piece of data is basically how many cents they transfer to your account, which you should see on your bank statement ("Kontoauszug"). Those can usually be accessed either by online banking or in one your local Deutsche Bank subsidary. They have machines there, that will print out your bank statement, once you enter your bank car/debit card. (Those machines are either next to the ATMs or the function is integrated in the ATM terminal. Not sure which models Deutsche Bank uses.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The weather in Münster seems pretty normal for this time of the year, though. Alternating clear skys with sudden rain showers and some stretches of colder days without rain.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

asaf posted:

I figure my prospects are better applying as an American than as a Turk (and I don't look at all like the average stereotype of a Turk, most people thought I was German or from the US), and I'm not taking a job that would otherwise be available to a German.

I assume you have a Turkish citizenship as well. Then you might want to double-check if it is not easier to get a non-tourist visum as a Turkish citizen. Due to the association between Turkey and what is now the European Union, there are special rules and policies which are advantageous for Turkish citizens wanting to come (and stay) in Germany. So what I am saying is, you should check out the options being a Turkish citizens would give you and not just assume that Americans get preferential treatment.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

LaserWash posted:

We saw several Turkish protests in Munich and Innsbruck this week. Hordes of policemen in what looked like riot gear off of Marienplatz on Kaufingerstraße last night. What's all this about?

There are ongoing demonstrations in Istanbul which were met with a very harsh response by the Turkish authorities. The demonstrations you saw were probably solidarity demonstrations related to that. Those are quite common in German cities, especially in those with large Turkish communities and/or universities. The deployment of police forces is a pretty standard procedure when it comes to big demonstrations. Especially if they relate to current hot topics, to prevent demonstrations turning non-peaceful or to prevent counter-demonstrations from disturbing a peaceful demonstration.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Landsknecht posted:

So if someone could help with this it would be nice:

Basically I got into a bike accident when someone opened their car door immediately in front of me. We never filed a police report, but I went to the hospital and my bike is damaged, so naturally I want to get some money from their auto insurance. The thing is, after emailing with the person who did it they just asked for my haftpflichtversicherung number and my address, which seems to indicate they want to file a claim against me? I know per § 14 Abs. 1 StVO that I am in the right (you have to check before opening car doors), so I'm wondering how I should make a claim against this person? Also, what information from me do they actually need to give to their insurance so I can get paid?

Go talk to a lawyer. Don't rely on internet advice when it comes to pressing a legal claim.

While it is to a certain degree possible for a person to press their own claims in court, it is usually not a good idea. The judge is required to give a modicum of assistance in civil matters if one side this should not be considered a replacement for qualified legal counsel. This is especially true in an area like traffic accidents, which requires knowledge of legal practises not explicitly found in the laws themselves. Even in cases where the material law is somewhat clear, most people still lack an understanding of how to comply with the basic formal requirements of a civil suits. While a lot of mistakes in this area can be fixed, some might potentially make you lose - at least temporarily - the lawsuit. And it bears to mention that in Germany, unlike most other jurisdictions, losing a civil suit will cause you to reimburse the opposing party for the costs of their legal counsel. Furthermore, there might be issues a non-jurist might not be able to notice. An example would be how any entitlement to damages might intertwine with the various functions of the social security system, e.g. Krankenkasse, Entgeltfortzahlung, etc.

Regarding the costs of legal consuulation, German lawyers are not as costly as one might believe. While lawsuits can cost a lot of money, this is rarely the case in smaller cases. Furthermore, there are plenty of lawyers who will bill you at a reduced level or not at all for the first meeting. Don't expect full answers there, but they will probably be able to tell you a general direction to proceed in and an estimate of whether the financial risks of pressing the claim outweigth the money you ustand to get.

Finally, I need to mention, that giving out legal advice regarding to an individualized situation, even without payment, is regulated by German law to the extent that it is disallowed in virtually all cases.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Landsknecht posted:

Yeah I have the contact data (and a report) from a witness who saw it, as well as what the doctors took down when I arrived at the hospital. Additionally I have the license plate number of the person who did it, and their handy number, email and name. It's a week tomorrow, should I go to the police station and make a report early in the morning (I guess I probably will).

I don't think there is anything the police can do to help you now. Better spend your morning finding a lawyer and setting up a meeting. In the unlikely event that going to the police would be helpful now, your lawyer would tell you to do that. Bring everything that relates to the accident with you, e.g. the witness report, hospital report.

Again, lawyers are nothing to be afraid of. They do not charge movie amounts of money and are generally stand-up people.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Entropist posted:

But Germany does seem to be more traditional in these things.

No, the usual reaction is pretty much the same.

Small accidents and accidents without or with very little bodily harm are usually nothing that causes the police to show up. It still is smart to call them, however, because as the participant of an accident you are usually not in the right frame of mind to judge whether an accident is worth calling the police or not. Worst case scenario would be an annoyed police officer telling you to stop wasting his time. So better be safe than sorry and call the police.

What is more important in Germany, is how you behave if you cause an accident while the other person is not there, i.e. scratching a parking car. Leaving the scene of the accident in this instance is a criminal offense. In cases where you cannot find the other party it is always a good idea to call the police so they can make a report of the accident. By the way, basically every verdict due to a section 142 offense will entail a temporary suspension of your license, even if you are merely slapped with a probation or a fine. Not a good thing to happen, if you need your car for anything work-related.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Landsknecht posted:

So, as is always the case with Bahncards, I forgot to cancel mine. After ignoring the first letter (with a new bahncard), I have now recieved a Mahnung that says if I don't pay within a week this will go to an Inkassofirma.

Worst case, they get a title that is good for 30 years to enforce and could possibly even be enforced in your home country. While the latter is somewhat unlikely, the former is quite possible. Not being registered isn't a sure-fire way to escape legal claims against you. But if you never return to Germany, they will probably let it rest.

eviljelly posted:

My favorite theory is that the inability of companies to fire lovely workers causes lovely workers to continue to be lovely. I have tended to get much better service at family run establishments.

One of my fantasy business ideas is to set up a shop which is chiefly concerned with providing good customer service and hiring people only on an independent contractor basis so I can fire lovely people.

But German employers are quite able to to fire lovely workers who don't pull their weight? :confused:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Look at those silly Brits! They don't know sauerkraut is served hot. :v:

That's actually a pretty nice if cursory peek into the German way of life. The only parts I am critical of are the kindergarten and the comment about Sunday. I am pretty sure a forest kindergarten is not part of the average German child's experience. Also, saying over half of the Germans are religious is probably an overstatement. While about two thirds of the German population are registered with various religious bodies and pay "church taxes", this does not equal religiousity. Sunday church attendance also has been on the decline for years. Being noisy is probably more likely to give you trouble with the neighbours if it's late. At least in the (very, very Catholic) cities I have lived for a longer time, few cared about vaccuming or some drilling on sundays.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Woolie Wool posted:

Are games like Wolfenstein 3D still banned in Germany? I've heard a court decision last year in Germany ruled that games are a legitimate art form but I imagine that's probably not the only test for an "artistic" use of Nazi iconography.

Whether or not games are a legititimate art form has no direct bearing on criminal liability regarding the depiction of symbols of unconstitutional organizations. Offhand, I cannot remember a German court decision within the last years that takes a position on that matter, though. (There was a SCOTUS case in America a few years back though, concerning video games and their coverage under the First Amendment.)

When it comes to Wolfenstein 3D and similiar swastika-containing games, this is basically the situation in Germany right now:

Under German criminal law it is a misdemeanor to distribute, publically use or make otherwise publically available the insignias of certain unconstitutional organizations as well as insignias nearly indistinguishable from those. This includes swastikas. It's also a misdemeanor to manufacture, stock, import or export said insignias for the said uses. There is an exception to this as far as the use of said symbols happens in a manner that is considered socially adequate. This exception covers, among others, the use of swastikas for the purposes of art. Contrary to what some may believe, the exception is not applicable as soon as the symbol is used in a work of art. Otherwise we would probably see a lot more neo-nazis running around with oil-paintings of swastikas. Whether the exception applies is a legally difficult question that requires consideration and can only be made on a case-by-case basis.

The consequences for the consumer in this case are thusly: The law mentioned above does not make it a misdemeanor for a consumer to buy, own or import media containing swastikas for their own personal use. Customs can and will, however, claim imported copies as they pass over the border. Once the copy is in private possession, the authorities will not go and take it. They can, however, seize said media as it is stocked by commercial vendors.

First person shooters that contain swastikas might also run afoul other criminal laws or youth protection statutes. As far as criminal law is concerned, there is another misdemeanor concerning the depiction of violence as far as it glorifies or normalizes inhuman violence to a degree that it violates basic human dignity. It mostly functions the same way as the criminal law regarding swastikas so I won't further elaborate on it.

Youth protection statutes might result in restrictions regarding whom to make media available to and how to advertise them as well. Most video games that are considered "banned in Germany" are merely restricted by youth protection statutes and not actually criminally relevant in a manner that they might be considered banned.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
That sounds plausible, considering there are exception for scientific work with such media as well and that a university is not in the business of commercially distributing such media.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Felony, not misdemeanor.

The StGB translation I consult uses the term misdemeanor for "Vergehen" and felony for "Verbrechen". Both § 86a and § 131 StGB (symbols of unconstitutional organizations and depictions of violence, respectively) have minimum sentences below one year of imprisonment and are therefore not felonies but misdemeanors as defined in § 12 StGB. :spergin:

Randler fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 9, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm starting to look for employment opportunities due to my Referendariat ending in mid-April. Are there any German job portals or search engines I should know of or have forgotten to check?

Thus far I have:

- Newspaper classifieds (Both the nation wide ones of FAZ and SZ as well as the regional ones in cities where I have connections)
- Monster.de
- Job Portals of the larger mediums in my field (Beck Stellenmarkt, LTO, etc.)
- The job portals of the individiual states and muncipialities as well as the Federation itself
- Arbeitsagentur's Jobbörse
- Homepages of larger corporations (mostly insurances)

Just want to make sure there's nothing I miss out.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
It's probably just as much of a bureaucratic nightmare to get a civil partnership. As the paperwork required is basically the same (mostly base certification and proof that neither partner is already married or partnered to somebody else). I also remember some third-hand stories that some countries are less than cooperative if it involves civil partnerships due to their own national rules and/or culture being strongly against it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Drone posted:

I gave this info to some coworkers of mine and apparently this is something normal, but none of them are also really financially-minded and couple explain to me the purpose behind putting the Kaution in a specific bank account instead of just... paying the landlord his money directly.

It's a protective measure benefitting the renter. In case of the landlord's insolvency the separate account for the collateral means that his creditors cannot access the collateral.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Isn't the skillset of a US paralegal somewhere in between Rechtsanwaltsfachangestellten and Rechtsfachwirten/Wirtschaftsjuristen? They might, might have a shot at getting one of the entry positions at the Big 4 instead of working as a ReNo.

Who am I kidding, there are no jobs. :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

elwood posted:

Yes, it is, but why would they hire a paralegal when they can get a us lawyer instead?

I'm not talking about the legal departments or spin-offs. I mean the entry-level positions for Advisory and Consulting, which are open to people without legal education and are usually staffed by business graduates. It's still a long shot, but it's probably the closest you can get to a legal-related job as a non-EU non-lawyer.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gold and a Pager posted:

What does the new minimum wage law mean for interns?

My company hires a lot of "interns" who are right out of college for €650 a month on 6-12 month contracts and 40 hours a week. I would love if the new law meant we had to pay them a living wage, but I can't find a good source on if the internship exceptions apply in my company's case or not.

This should help: http://www.bundesrat.de/SharedDocs/drucksachen/2014/0101-0200/147-14.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=1 (Starting at page 7 out of 77 (PDF pages))

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Current proposal requires the minimum wage to be paid to all Arbeitnehmer, there is nothing in it about six weeks regarding internships.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
:doh:

I'm an idiot who misspelled "Prakktikant" when I Ctrl+F'd the document.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So in a fit of insanity I actually purchased the latest SPIEGEL. Did they reduce the amount of pages in that thing drastically? I'm pretty sure that magazine was a lot bigger back when I used to somewhat regularly read it.

(Also newspaper prices have gone off the loving chain, apparently.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

citybeatnik posted:

Wait, strike?

Pilot union Cockpit had a warning strike this weekend and is already threatening to go for a full strike. Train conductor union GDL synchronized her warning strike with Cockpit's and also announced plans for a fullstrike. From the top of my head I don't know how long it usually takes them to go through the necessary preparations for a full strike, so I'm not sure whether they'd be able to have a full strike up at the 20th or whether they plan another warning strike at that time.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

My Lovely Horse posted:

e2: you think preparations could take a few weeks? If things keep running until the 26th I'm home free, literally.

I looked around for a bit and I found one example of a Cockpit Urabstimmung taking four weeks of voting. This was, however, considered relatively long and mainly due to the geographical spread of pilots all over the world. Technically, they would be able to start striking in the end of the voting period if they already had enough votes, though that seems unusual. So with regards to air travel, things might probably be fine up until the 26th if history is any indication.

My guess is that the GDL would be able to have the voting procedure finished faster but if they want to keep stick with the pilots striking to have a higher compound impact, chances are you might be off the hook until your move to Weimar (my condolences) as well.

The most important lesson to take away here is probably that while Germany isn't at French levels of constant strikes, it still can come up and matter.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
GDL today announced that they've started the voting procedures for a full-scaled strike. Voting is supposed to be done within the month of September and there will be no additional warning strikes before October.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

bronin posted:

Look at you plebes using public transportation to go places. Meanwhile I'm getting to work in a nice comfortable car with no stinky humans around me. Suck it.

Look at this scrub who doesn't know that you can do billable work play video games in trains. :smuggo:

Das Leben in vollen Zügen genießen. :haw:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

e X posted:

It's still almost two month till this kind of joke is acceptable, and even then, only in lesser region of Germany :colbert:

I'm sorry. I've lived among the savages for too long. :negative:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gold and a Pager posted:

I forgot about that. Maybe I will just fly. Flights on Germanwings are €120.

Cockpit has threatened to strike as well, though they canceled on of their limited ones earlier because apparently negotiations are going well.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Does Cologne have a law requiring a sex shop every two hundred feet or are y'all just weirdos?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

bignose posted:

Let me guess, you went along the Venloer Str. in Ehrenfeld (in direction of Bickendorf maybe)? or the Eigelstein or the Severinsviertel (which also have a mass of 1 Euro shops and gambling dens)? :D
We're pretty weird though.

Südliche Altstadt Richtung Luxemburger Straße. And I forgot about all those gambling dens. Only things that had open so early in the morning and through their open doors the smell of smoke and desparation escaped.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
One thing about Munich (and the rest of Southern Germany) is that they require significant amounts of travel times if you come from the West or the North. (~6-8 hours depending on the routes) So if you want to see different German cities in a week, you might want to consider staying in the borders of 1867 (:v:). That way you could probably spend some time in Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin which are three large German cities with enough to do while only having minor travel times between them.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Word of warning, though, the train conductors are currently negotiating so there might be railroad strikes occuring during your time in Germany.

(The next one having been announced today for tomorrow going from 14:00 until 04:00 in the night.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Drehfleisch is the most German dish because like East and West there are Döner and Gyros.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Badly Jester posted:

Hier mal ein positiver Kommentar über den Streik.

Edit: gently caress me, this is not the German-speaking thread. Sorry.

Der Kommentar ist sowohl sprachlich als auch inhaltlich ein Totalschaden.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I guess the lack of reliable electricity really keeps Belgish brew traditions alive.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gold and a Pager posted:

Paderborner (export) 4 lyfe

Meisterbrause! :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'd appreciate some general information about Düsseldorf and the surrounding area regarding where to live affordably while working in Düsseldorf (Golzheim district) and commuting by public transportation.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I don't particularly care about "Szeneviertel" or stuff like that.

Randler fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 8, 2015

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Also, if my current apartment search in Frankfurt is anything to go on, landlords are gonna want either some proof of income or a cosigner.

Which is still reasonable compared to the bullshit Mietschuldenfreiheitsbescheinigungen. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Wasn't there a court decision that said that Vermieter don't have a right to require those?

Not to my knowledge, I'm only aware of one that says the Mieter isn't entitled to one from the Vermieter.