Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I am generally in favor of strong unions, but the GDL can go and gently caress itself, for that "we will only hit the freight trains with our strike" ... "Ooops, hitting the other trains as well, sucks if you need to use them to travel anywhere!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

frankenfreak posted:

And what did we get? Königsberger Klopse.

Königsberger Klopse are delicious. Unlike Sauerkraut.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just a heads up, don't plan to go by train anywhere in Germany from this Thursday to Sunday, the train driver union will go on strike these days.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Badly Jester posted:

Hier mal ein positiver Kommentar über den Streik.

Edit: gently caress me, this is not the German-speaking thread. Sorry.

There is a German-speaking thread? Do you have a link?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rumtherapy posted:

I see that's in the north. I forgot where but I recall a piece of information telling me that the south of Germany is usually more expensive, but then again this is just one Uni and I've got no other basis. Neat info though ,thanks.

Not that it matters, but for all Germans, Magdeburg would be considered to be in the east, since it lies in former East Germany. But it's still distinct from the south, which is indeed generally more expensive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Entropist posted:

Not this kind of bread, though! :v:

I lived in a village near Saarbrücken. I'm sure I would have been able to find something nice, but usually I only had time to go to the supermarket. I tried a few different breads from a bakery in the beginning (just from picking them out from a shelf behind the counter, there were no labels) and they were all variations on the same theme. That's a better option than the supermarket though, it's true, and I did like that some supermarkets had built-in bakeries. Just not where I lived.

Something like this, though usually with a hard and darker crust. Too dense!

That's not even close to the densest German bread. And it's actually super delicious, in contrast to toast or other white bread.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cicero posted:

* I realize Lübeck seems like a random choice. The main reason actually is that I work at Google and there's a Google dev office here (they make Snapseed), and I'm considering transferring to a mainland European office at some point in the future; there's also a sizable dev office in Munich. No dev office in Copenhagen though, we're going through there because Norwegian air is relatively cheap and we like biking.

I can't add anything useful that the other posters haven't already posted, but you do realize that Copenhagen is not in Norway?

Also, I assume you are mainly going by plane, but if not, then going from Copenhagen to Munich and then to Lübeck would be strange. Copenhagen and Lübeck are relatively close to each other, while Munich is at the other end of Germany.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drone posted:

So that's why I haven't gotten my new Versichertenkarte yet from the TK :(

So you didn't knew about that? May I ask how you get your news? The internet only? Because if you watched news on ARD or ZDF, or listened to the radio like WDR2 or even 1live, then it would be hard not to know that they are on strike, and have been for quite a while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

aunt jemima posted:

I'll be in Germany at the end of August with my wife to speak at a conference in the Bonn/Köln area. I should have 3 days prior to the conference and 1 free day after. We're trying to determine if there is enough to see/do in that area that we should just stay there the whole time, or if we should try and mix it up. We'll most likely be flying in and out through Frankfurt, so that would be a natural place to spend the first three days in country if we don't just go straight to Bonn. We're generally both pretty interested in history and museums and other generally touristy things. Advice welcome :)

Frankfurt is alright. But if you are in Bonn you should visit Cologne Cathedral, which is very much worth it. The Romano-Germanic Museum is also close to the cathedral.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 20, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hollow Talk posted:

It is probably worth highlighting that this is not exclusively a problem in the East, however. Rather, this is a general division between rural and urban spaces, as various places in Bavaria, but also in other areas of Germany, have a distinct problems with right-wing groups, parties, rallies etc. There are theories that increased contact with "foreigners" (this is not exclusive to migrants, the same can be said for queer people, people with a "migration background" etc.) will ultimately lead to a reduction in sweeping prejudices, because you get more examples of positive or, at the very least and even more likely, neutral situations where it's not an issue. It is telling that people in a city like Dresden were up in arms about "islamisation", but people in a place like Frankfurt or Berlin were less so. Part of the reason why this is more prevalent in the East, however, is certainly the fact that the GDR was overall quite homogenous and had few "foreigners".

Remember that the anti-immigrant law in Switzerland passed only through support from rural areas and failed in the cities where the actual "foreigners" live.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's probably not worth it for German politicians to anger US authorities over something that likely affects only a very tiny subset of the population.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Is rolling r's universally considered offensive in german? I got kind of chewed out by a coworker for doing it when I was practicing my german and I was bewildered - apparently at least this person associated it with nazis. It kind of came as second nature after learning mostly spanish when i grew up. Is my bad habit of blending something I picked up from another language offensive enough to make a concerted effort to stop it?

It is, for basically that reason. If you watch any modern German television show, and then listen to Hitler's speech, the by far biggest difference is that he really rolls the R's. It's strongly associated with Hitler and the Nazis in popular culture, and if a German was speaking that way, I would suspect he's a fascist. You're absolutely not doing yourself any favors by rolling the R's when speaking German.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

System Metternich posted:

^^^ e: the dreaded north-south-discrepancy strikes again! :v: but seriously Torrannor, tons of people roll their r's without being fascists ^^^

Lol no, your co-worker would probably drop dead in horror when she hears me talk in my southern German dialect, I roll my r's like there's no tomorrow. I guess you're somewhere up north? They don't do that there at all, I think (outside of very rural, low German-speaking areas maybe) so that would explain why your co-worker wasn't familiar with that outside of American Nazi movies.

It's different for dialects, yes. I didn't want to make this more complicated than necessary, but if his co-worker chewed him out, he's obviously not from Bayern. And I'm not kidding, if somebody uses Hochdeutsch in casual conversation with me, and he rolls his R, then my first thought is that he's a Neonazi. And speaking from personal experience, it's a valid suspicion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In my defense I'm just a stupid american living here and am self-taught, nobody ever told me it was bad until now :shrug: I certainly wasn't doing it to be purposefully offensive, I didn't even really realize I was doing it until he pointed out.

I and the co-worker in question are in Heidelberg, but he is from the north so maybe that explains his reaction.

It might also be that he thought you were mocking him. What was the comedy series with the Brits (American?) prisoners of war who regularly outfoxed their dumb Nazi captors? The Germans there had really exaggerated rolled R's, it's more or less a hallmark of British TV (and culture in general).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Berlin sits on particularly unsuitable ground IIRC, but it's still no excuse for being this slow to build a tunnel. Or an airport, of course.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

McCloud posted:

Hello

Not sure where else to ask this, so I'll ask it here, knowing almost certainly it's not the correct place.

I'm looking for some legal advice on a contract dispute with a third party in Germany. I myself live in another EU country, and the main point of contention is that they overcharged for services. if there's anyone I can PM about this or if I can be pointed in the right direction, that'd be swell.

Namaste

As Nam Taf pointed out, you could also try to ask in this thread in Science, Academics and Languages: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1943474

Don't be put off by the title, there are a lot of non-Germans who understand German in this thread, so maybe some of them can help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Not much traffic in here lately, but then there's not much tourism and travel lately at all :(

I'm curious, I thought threads fall into archives after 6 months of inactivity? Why can I still post in here?