Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

I'm from Texas, haven't been to Germany yet but studied the language in high school and made a lot of german friends while traveling in South America. I never figured out why, but it seems that about half of tourists in Ecuador are German. Just odd considering how far away it is and how few Americans or other europeans there are there in proportion to germans. And I hardly ever see Germans traveling in the U.S. outside of new york, why not? It's cheaper for you these days, and who doesn't want to see Texas? That said, I loved a lot of the german girls I met and still talk to several of them. I joke some about the stereotypes, particularly acting like most Americans who know so little of Germany apart from nazis and oktoberfest, and they don't seem to get it though. I told a girl in Berlin that I would wear lederhosen the whole time I was there so I could fit in, and she knows that I know Berlin is not at all like Bavaria, but she still seems to think I was serious.

On dubbing, I heard that the only channel you have there with shows in English is MTV. So what you're seeing of us is crap like Next and Rock of Love, not the best english in the first place and that's some really lovely PR for us anyway. The Germans I've met, even if their english was pretty bad, would joke about the way american girls talk "oh my god like totally" or reference phrases like junk in the trunk. Do a lot of you have this image of Americans, that our girls talk with that bratty, dumb, loud and demanding voice? It's actually very prevalent, I just hadn't noticed as much until die Deutschen pointed it out to me.

I deal with a lot of stereotypes for being from Texas, but being asked "Oh so you cowboy huh? you like gun yes?" hardly compares to "oh you must be a nazi, arbeit macht frei, ja?" attitude. I've become a bit of a sympathizer for you all, really there is so much in our movies and video games about nazis and almost nothing about modern germany. Except rammstein, which reinforced the stereotypes quite well.

But has been an informative thread, thanks. Hope to make it out there someday and learn the language a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Why do germans giggle every time I and other americans say "schnitzel?" :(