Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ontological
Aug 21, 2003
Ich moechte in Deutschland in Finanzdienst fuer ein paar Jahre arbeiten. Ist mein Ziel moeglich?

I'd like to work in Germany in the finance sector for a few years. I read that Germany has one of the highest number of banks per person. I wonder what the working culture there is like?

Deutsche Bank or Commerz Bank would be dream roles. Alternatively the German equivalent of my current organisation, Bundesanstalt fuer Finanzdienstleistungaufsicht (BaFin). This would be easier with the blessing of my employer.

My plan is to start on a working holiday visa (and work in any field necessary to first improve my language skills) and then move to resident/work permit. As a university educated Australian citizen, I understand that this should be easier for me than most other people.

Native German speakers tell me my German is good enough to work in Germany, but I'll have to learn technical terms that are relevant to my field. I hear there are organisations that do their work in English anyway, is this true?

To the poster who asked about IT, apparently Germany has a skills shortage in IT so it shouldn't be too hard to get a job in that field. Do any posters have any knowledge about the finance sector?

Also, I am of Chinese descent, so I wonder if there would be any issues. I note that I saw heaps of Japanese people in Duesseldorf when I was there in 2008. I also saw an Asian guy working on deutsche Bahn which I thought was pretty cool. Maybe Asians are model minorities? Comments?

I've done a good amount of research on toytowngermany.com but I'd like to hear opinions of expats from locals.

My other question is, what do Germans think of Australia? Who tells you about this place before you come here? I ask this there are lots and lots of German backpackers in Australia.

They tell me that people in Australia are really friendly, which implies that German people aren't. I think they're referring to a more formal or less expressive culture, perhaps. I note that people making these comments are younger people, though. What are your comments?

Thanks for this thread! Danke fuer deine Hilfe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU