Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
if you're traveling about germany or europe in general look into flying too, when I flew from munich to berlin it was cheaper than my train ticket back to munich.

Schnitzel is pretty amazing. If you visit Bavaria be sure to try some Leberkaes :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
clearly the best form of "tschüss" is "tschüssi!"

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Gold and a Pager posted:

But it'd have to be a hell of a well-paid internship to afford living in Munich, but yes, quite possibly worth it when you're other option is small town Bavaria.

I had one in Munich that paid 700eur a month, about enough to get by if you don't do anything fun. I took out extra student loans before the internship for travel/booze money.

Small town Bavaria can be good times, I did a semester in Eichstaett (near Ingolstadt and a lot smaller) and had a loving blast, though it has a good international student party scene.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I had no problem carrying my luggage on the tram in Frankfurt. Some German yelled at me when I put my luggage on the seat next to me on the train from Frankfurt to Munich, not sure where else I would put it???

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
it was much too big for that

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
loved the public transport in Munich except for the U-bahns not running all night causing me some expensive cab rides, of course Munich is the only city I've lived in with public transport besides buses.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Zwille posted:

Another bit of anecdotal evidence: Another friend (of a friend) never ever bought public transit tickets, claiming he got caught so rarely that he paid less in fees than if he actually bought tickets.

This is believable for public transit in Munich. I got checked once in 3 months of riding everyday. I schwarzfahr-ed the first month or so until I almost got in trouble after giving a worker a nervous look in the u-bahn station and he checked me. Luckily I had acouple old day passes in my wallet that I never got stamped (I seriously didn't know you were supposed to do that), along with playing the dumb American card they let me go and even gave me a helpful hint to buy a weekly pass instead of daily as it was cheaper, thanks MVV worker. I was too nervous after that and started buying the monthly pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Got checked on the S-Bahn in Berlin the weekend I spent there, wasn't going to buy a ticket since I was used to never being checked in Munich but was advised otherwise luckily.

I just walked by the people checking tickets on the S-Bahn in Munich once while they were checking other people, if you look like you belong there and have a ticket you probably do.