Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

michigan jack posted:

Has there been any interest in the good American beers and brewers in Deutschland?

Hahahah, not at all. Most of my German friends are obsessed with beer and they still pretty much have no clue when it comes to beer. The moment I try to talk about American micro brews I just get a bunch of rolled eyes. As far as they are concerned, America is still Budweiser land. And no, I definitely don't come off as a beer snob when talking about it. It's just a simple mention here and there.

Germany has such a solid rep when it comes to beer, that people get pretty lazy when it comes to knowing anything about it. It definitely doesn't help that it's pretty much always one of the first few things a foreigner will mentioned when they go on their "Why I love Germany" rants. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, but it does get annoying. It's actually easier to get a wider variety of German beers at Bevmo (not sure if they exist outside of the west coast), than it is to find all of that poo poo in Germany. The typical "getränkemarkt"(drink market) will just have the big beers, which consist mainly of Pils and then some local stuff from the region. Want that great bavarian doppelbock from Ayinger even though you live way up in Hamburg? Tough poo poo.

America's beer rep is poo poo, so that usually really encourages people to make some kick rear end beer. The amount of creativity you find in American microbrews these days is amazing. I've been to a bunch of different countries at this point and still haven't found anything similar.

At the same time, that laziness I mentioned before can be a good thing. The moment I try to explain some of the cool poo poo you can find in the US beer-wise, I just get a "Why would you want all that? Just drink x,y, or z!" Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a lot more to German beer than pilsen, but aside from that, hefeweizen, and their darker versions you won't really encounter much else. For example, I don't really see people drinking much Kölsch until I get close to Köln.

It's not really a big deal, since beer is just something I no longer get excited about when I think about or am in Germany. Wait, gently caress that, I'm in Norway now, so even lovely German beer at this point has it's pluses! :/

Sooooo, Beer: America > Germany :colbert:

I don't even drink all that much anymore, but I can only let people talk poo poo about the states when it's actually deserved.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I've lived a total of 8 years in southern and central Germany, so hopefully I'm not too far off.

copperblue posted:

This is one of the reasons I avoid eastern parts of Germany, other than Berlin.

What's your opinion on the NPD and how to address it's insanity? Is it getting better as the east continues to integrate with the west?

I hope the OP doesn't mind me giving my perspective on this stuff, but the NPD is a joke for the most part. Sure, the lovely economy tends to get people blaming the immigrants for everything, but the NPD will NEVER become a threat.

When they march through town the police are called in massive numbers to protect the NPD from the Anti-fa goons. Granted the examples I'm using come from places that lean waaay to the left. Germany's history just won't allow for that poo poo to spread, even with the treat of the "islamisation" of Europe. Now in Holland or Denmark? Who knows...

moflika fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I've spent the last 4 months working 12+ hours a day and need a break before I look for my next job. Anyone know of any cool events/fest/shows going on in the near future that I can waste a bit of time at. I'm currently located in Süd-Niedersachsen, but am willing to all over the country if interesting enough.

Arts, Culinary, an awesome Wanderweg. I'm open to pretty much anything! :)

Vielen Dank im Voraus!